PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Purvis to NC State

JasonEvans
09-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Not a big surprise, but a very big get (http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/30/1529411/raleigh-basketball-phenom-purvis.html) for NC State. He's an excellent talent they can build around. Any time you get a Top 20 talent, it is important for your program.

-Jason "congrats to Gottfried" Evans

SilkyJ
09-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Not a big surprise, but a very big get (http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/09/30/1529411/raleigh-basketball-phenom-purvis.html) for NC State. He's an excellent talent they can build around. Any time you get a Top 20 talent, it is important for your program.

-Jason "congrats to Gottfried" Evans

Noticed you updated your location...shouldn't that say home of sports teams that blow big leagues leads and don't make the playoffs? (I'm a braves fan and I also live in Boston, so this week and whole month has been unbelievable from all angles)

Oh, and congrats 'pack :)

OldPhiKap
09-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Good catch for the Wooffies, basketball is better when the whole triangle is playing well.

Kimist
09-30-2011, 03:09 PM
So, is Purvis another "one and done" candidate ??

k

g-money
09-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Wow, that's a big score for NC St. I'm not looking forward to watching Purvis run circles around our guards next year.

Duvall
09-30-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm not looking forward to watching Purvis run circles around our guards next year.

Purvis isn't the highest rated guard going to the ACC next year.

NSDukeFan
09-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Wow, that's a big score for NC St. I'm not looking forward to watching Purvis run circles around our guards next year.

I agree that is a great recruit for State. Why would Purvis run circles around Duke's guards next year? I don't know that he is quicker than Cook, Curry, Thornton or Sulaimon and I would expect they might run more circles around him. I do think they might have trouble containing his strength on drives and will make games with State more competitive, but I am not at all worried about him running circles around Duke's quick guards. He is big and strong enough that he may be matched up against Dawkins or Gbinijie, in which case he may have a quickness advantage, but I am hoping both those guys will be very solid defensive players in 2012.

Congrats to State and Gottfried and Purvis.

JasonEvans
09-30-2011, 03:43 PM

It is not like they just signed Kyrie or Ty Lawson... lets not get too crazy, ok?

-Jason

Jderf
09-30-2011, 03:50 PM
It is not like they just signed Kyrie or Ty Lawson... lets not get too crazy, ok?

-Jason

Still, it's a big pick up for NC State. Is it strange if I got really excited when I saw this thread title? For some reason I'm really pulling for Gottfried to finally get things together in Raleigh.

rasputin
09-30-2011, 04:11 PM
So, is Purvis another "one and done" candidate ??

k

Does he ever get nervous?

Faison1
09-30-2011, 04:59 PM

We stopped recruiting him because Sulaimon was climbing up the rankings so quickly. In fact, I think he might be ranked higher than Purvis.

All in all, though, I'm glad he went to State, because it's good for the conference, and I always enjoy watching good players.

-bdbd
09-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Good for them. State fans can really use some good news. And he's supposed to be a "good kid" too. Congratulations to both parties.

I'm sure his family is thrilled to have him near home instead of trapsing of to Louisville or MO or some such.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Good for State! Congrats to Purvis, I wish him good fortune in Raleigh, though not when they play Duke.

CDu
09-30-2011, 05:44 PM

He isn't even the highest rated guard going into the Duke/NC State matchup (though the guy defining both statements is the same guy (Sulaimon). I think we'll be okay in the backcourt next year.

It's a good get for NC State. They need to keep landing top-tier recruits so that they can turn the ship around.

loldevilz
09-30-2011, 06:02 PM

-Jason

Purvis may actually be just that good.

Duvall
09-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Purvis may actually be just that good.

He *could* be good - a lot of players *could* be that good - but right now, no one expects Purvis to have that kind of impact. Certainly not right away.

rotogod00
09-30-2011, 07:47 PM
He cited Syracuse and Pittsburgh joining the conference as factoring heavily in his decision. Great to see those additions are already reaping rewards.

Conference is going to be scary good very, very soon.

ScreechTDX1847
09-30-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm happy any time the conference brings in talent (except for UNC).

g-money
09-30-2011, 08:09 PM

Sorry - I didn't mean to disrespect our guards with that post, even though it obviously reads that way in hindsight.

I'm just a bit bummed that we stopped recruiting Purvis. However, I suppose the combination of a shaky jump shot and the (reported) desire to be one-and-done may understandably have made Coach reluctant.

If it's true that Sulaimon has improved enough to best a player like Purvis, then we should be in good shape in any event. I'm psyched to see Rasheed in Duke Blue next year.

CDu
09-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Sorry - I didn't mean to disrespect our guards with that post, even though it obviously reads that way in hindsight.

I'm just a bit bummed that we stopped recruiting Purvis. However, I suppose the combination of a shaky jump shot and the (reported) desire to be one-and-done may understandably have made Coach reluctant.

If it's true that Sulaimon has improved enough to best a player like Purvis, then we should be in good shape in any event. I'm psyched to see Rasheed in Duke Blue next year.

It's always unfortunate when a very good talent goes to a rival school. But between Sulaimon (who is now rated higher than Purvis), the need for a big, and the outside possibility of Muhammad, he wasn't coming. Can only have so many wings on the court at once.

Between a senior Dawkins, possibly a senior Curry (if he decides to stay for a fifth year), Sulaimon, Cook, and Thornton, I think we'll be better at guard than NC State.

OldPhiKap
09-30-2011, 08:36 PM
He cited Syracuse and Pittsburgh joining the conference as factoring heavily in his decision. Great to see those additions are already reaping rewards.

Conference is going to be scary good very, very soon.

If true, and if thought out, that means he plans to stick around for a few seasons. Which would be great for the conference.

Mike Corey
09-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Terrific get for our friends in Raleigh. Purvis is as exciting a talent to come to N.C. State as any in recent years.
The more talent the ACC can stockpile, the better.

Jarhead
09-30-2011, 11:57 PM
This kid is great for State, and I liked his reaction when he learned that a fan group on campus call themselves "The Purverts." He laughed about.

Newton_14
09-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Terrific get for our friends in Raleigh. Purvis is as exciting a talent to come to N.C. State as any in recent years.
The more talent the ACC can stockpile, the better.

Agree on both counts. It has been stated a lot on this board, but I'll say it again, the ACC needs NC State to be a strong program. Gottfried is doing well in the recruiting dept so far. Purvis is likely the best recruit since Julius Hodge for State. Hopefully this influx of new coaches can get the league back where it needs to be in terms of overall strength.

As long as it another ACC school not named UNC it is good news!

davekay1971
10-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Great addition for NC State. They're going to have a tough year this year, but I think they're moving in the right direction.

What remains to be seen, and this upcoming year will be an excellent indicator, is how well Gottfried can mould the pieces together. He's got a tough job this year. Lorenzo Brown is being pressed into service as PG after Harrów's transfer to the dark side. CJ Leslie has all the talent in the world but Lowe wasn't able to get him to put it together. That my not be Lowe's fault...but it'll be interesting to see whether a new coach can get more out of Leslie. The kid could be a game changer. NC State's inside players are role players at best. If Gottfriend's going to have any success this year, he's going to have to get the team playing excellent defense, and figure out how to get consistent scoring out of (1) a SG playing point; (2) a very good spot-up shooter who hasn't yet shown the ability to create his own shot; (3) an underperforming but talent-rich forward; and (3) a cluster of big bodies who so far have only been good for put-backs and dunks.

Fast forward a year or two ahead. Leslie may or may not be around, but if he is you'll have him (hopefully developing consistency and effort), Brown, Purvis, and Lewis in the backcourt, and Tyler Harris at PF. That's a nice collection of 4 and 5 star talent. Gottfriend has a LONG way to go to get the third leg in the triangle up to par, but he's already moving in the right direction.

ACCBBallFan
10-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Great addition for NC State. They're going to have a tough year this year, but I think they're moving in the right direction.

Compard to BC, GA Tech, Wake and Maryland, this year will not be that bad for NC State.

Having CJ Leslie, Lo Brown, Scott Wood, CJ Williams, Richard Howell and Deshawn Painter is a lot better than having Danny Rubin, Gabe Motom and all the rest transfers or frosh like BC.

Should also be better than Travis McKie, Carson Desrosiers, Nikita Meschariakov, CJ Harris and Tony Chennault unitl Ty Walker gets back, or than Gelen Rice Jr, Udofia, Holsey, Morris and Miller.

Cupboard is pretty bare for Maryland with Stoglin, Pe'Shon Howard, Mosley unless the 7 footer they got from overseas is really good.

So yes, NC State will be not be all that good, but everything is relative.

davekay1971
10-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Compard to BC, GA Tech, Wake and Maryland, this year will not be that bad for NC State.

Having CJ Leslie, Lo Brown, Scott Wood, CJ Williams, Richard Howell and Deshawn Painter is a lot better than having Danny Rubin, Gabe Motom and all the rest transfers or frosh like BC.

Should also be better than Travis McKie, Carson Desrosiers, Nikita Meschariakov, CJ Harris and Tony Chennault unitl Ty Walker gets back, or than Gelen Rice Jr, Udofia, Holsey, Morris and Miller.

Cupboard is pretty bare for Maryland with Stoglin, Pe'Shon Howard, Mosley unless the 7 footer they got from overseas is really good.

So yes, NC State will be not be all that good, but everything is relative.

Very good point, but I still think State is at risk of being in that bottom cluster. Gottfried's ability to get guys committed to his message and committed to defense will determine whether State ends up with 4-5 wins in conference and in the bottom tier, or with 7-9 wins and clearly separating themselves from the bottom.

Newton_14
10-01-2011, 08:55 PM

What remains to be seen, and this upcoming year will be an excellent indicator, is how well Gottfried can mould the pieces together. He's got a tough job this year. Lorenzo Brown is being pressed into service as PG after Harrów's transfer to the dark side. CJ Leslie has all the talent in the world but Lowe wasn't able to get him to put it together. That my not be Lowe's fault...but it'll be interesting to see whether a new coach can get more out of Leslie. The kid could be a game changer. NC State's inside players are role players at best. If Gottfriend's going to have any success this year, he's going to have to get the team playing excellent defense, and figure out how to get consistent scoring out of (1) a SG playing point; (2) a very good spot-up shooter who hasn't yet shown the ability to create his own shot; (3) an underperforming but talent-rich forward; and (3) a cluster of big bodies who so far have only been good for put-backs and dunks.

Fast forward a year or two ahead. Leslie may or may not be around, but if he is you'll have him (hopefully developing consistency and effort), Brown, Purvis, and Lewis in the backcourt, and Tyler Harris at PF. That's a nice collection of 4 and 5 star talent. Gottfriend has a LONG way to go to get the third leg in the triangle up to par, but he's already moving in the right direction.

I think Brown is a better PG than Harrow is actually. He played the point really well last year when Harrow was out. Better penetrator, and better finisher in traffic. According to a couple of articles that came out shortly after the Harrow transfer, Gottfried informed Harrow that Brown was going to be the PG, which is one of the main reasons he left. It was also stated that Lowe was going to do the same thing had he been kept on.

I agree with you that Gottfried has much work to do, especially with Leslie, but I do believe Brown will handle the point well.

davekay1971
10-01-2011, 10:01 PM
I think Brown is a better PG than Harrow is actually. He played the point really well last year when Harrow was out. Better penetrator, and better finisher in traffic. According to a couple of articles that came out shortly after the Harrow transfer, Gottfried informed Harrow that Brown was going to be the PG, which is one of the main reasons he left. It was also stated that Lowe was going to do the same thing had he been kept on.

I agree with you that Gottfried has much work to do, especially with Leslie, but I do believe Brown will handle the point well.

For State's sake, I hope so. Brown is a capable, if streaky, player.

ACCBBallFan
10-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Very good point, but I still think State is at risk of being in that bottom cluster. Gottfried's ability to get guys committed to his message and committed to defense will determine whether State ends up with 4-5 wins in conference and in the bottom tier, or with 7-9 wins and clearly separating themselves from the bottom.

I am picking the ACC to be very symmetric this year, with State in between the two records you cited.

BC with 3 or less wins and UNC with 3 or less losses

GA Tech with 4 wins and Duke with 4 losses

Wake with 5 wins and FSU with 5 losses

Maryland with 6 wins and Miami with 6 losses

State with 7 wins and UVA with 7 losses

Clemson and VA Tech each 8 wins-8 losses.

SupaDave
10-02-2011, 10:09 AM
I am picking the ACC to be very symmetric this year, with State in between the two records you cited.

BC with 3 or less wins and UNC with 3 or less losses

GA Tech with 4 wins and Duke with 4 losses

Wake with 5 wins and FSU with 5 losses

Maryland with 6 wins and Miami with 6 losses

State with 7 wins and UVA with 7 losses

Clemson and VA Tech each 8 wins-8 losses.

Did you happen to look at any schedules when you did this?

Mike Corey
10-02-2011, 11:12 AM
There's a rumor that intrepid N.C. State fans are looking to rename the Wolfpack fan section the "Purverts."

ACCBBallFan
10-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Did you happen to look at any schedules when you did this?

As a matter of fact, I did do quite a bit of analysis.

With those weights ACC unbalanced schedule favors the bottom 3 teams and disadvantages the top 3 (giving a team 12 points if they do not play UNC twice, 11 if Duke only once etc) such that a high score means favorable:

57 - GA Tech
51 - BC
50 - Wake

46 - NC St
42 - Clemson
37 - Miami
35 - VA Tech

32 - Maryland
31 - Duke and UVA
29 - UNC
27 - FSU

So not a lot of movement due to unbalanced schedules as was the case for UVA a few years ago, maybe Maryland better than I expected and Miami a little worse than 4th.

Miami has a good trio if Reggie Johnson gets healthy to go with Durand Scott and Malcolm Grant though, and Maryland pretty limited with Stoglin, Pe'Shon Howard, Mosley and maybe that 7 footer from overseas or freshman Nick Faust.

FSU has a lot of seniors and Duke has a lot of juniors to give UNC a run for its money, but ACC unbalanced schedule not much different for the top 3.

I did not attempt to factor in home only versus away only in the SOS analysis, just home and home twice.

For home court advantage, it's somewhat a self fulfilling prophecy, but I next broke the 12 teams into quadrants, but also tried to factor in that UNC is a heavy favorite and BC is extremely short handed with just Rubin and Moton returning.

The assumption was that a team more than 4 or 5 places away would never have an upset even at home, but for teams in the same quadrant, the home team would win, and sometmes also win at home versus teams one quadrant higher. In reality this is often 50/50 and not so black and white.

UNC 3 loses are to Duke and FSU and one of Miami/UVA/VA Tech on road

Duke 4 loses are to UNC, FSU, VA Tech and Clemson on road. At the time I had Clemson in second quadrant and Miami who Duke plays only at home in third quadrant. So maybe only 3 losses

If FSU beats UNC at home, FSU 5 losses are to Duke, Miami, UVA, VA Tech and NC St on road.

Miami 6 losses are to UNC, Duke, FSU, UVA, NC State and Maryland on road.

UVA 7 losses are to UNC, Duke, FSU, VA Tech, Clemson, NC State and Maryland all on road.

VA Tech loses at home to UNC and on road to Duke, FSU, Miami, VA Tech, Clemson, Maryland and Wake to finish 8-8 and again miss NCAAT.

If Clemson can beat Duke and FSU at home, Clemson 8 losses are to UNC, FSU, Miami, UVA, VA Tech, Wake, GA Tech and BC to be 8-0 at home and 0-8 on road. My guess is they lose to one of Duke/FSU at home but beat BC on road.

NC State might win at home vs. FSU or on road vs. GA Tech or BC, not all 3, plus win at home vs. Miami, UVA, Maryland, Wake, GA Tech and BC for 7 or 8 wins

Maryland might beat Miami or UVA at home, plus wins home games vs. VA Tech, GA Tech, Wake and BC for at most 6 wins.

Wake at best 5 wins home games versus VA Tech, Clemson, NC St, GA Tech and BC.

GA Tech 4 wins at home versus Maryland, Wake, BC and one of Clemson/NC State.

At best BC beats Wake, GA Tech and NC State to win 3.

Of course not all teams will win so many home games, so expectation is that upsets offset.

Slackerb
10-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Purvis is definitely a statement win for Gottfried, as he's not only an elite talent but also in-state. This definitely explains Torian Graham backing off his commitment.

I have heard that Purvis to State was a done deal basically but that Rodney wanted to take his visits. Graham and Purvis reportedly do not get along well and that Graham retracted his commitment because of Purvis upcoming announcement.

SupaDave
10-04-2011, 02:11 PM
As a matter of fact, I did do quite a bit of analysis.

With those weights ACC unbalanced schedule favors the bottom 3 teams and disadvantages the top 3 (giving a team 12 points if they do not play UNC twice, 11 if Duke only once etc) such that a high score means favorable:

57 - GA Tech
51 - BC
50 - Wake

46 - NC St
42 - Clemson
37 - Miami
35 - VA Tech

32 - Maryland
31 - Duke and UVA
29 - UNC
27 - FSU

So not a lot of movement due to unbalanced schedules as was the case for UVA a few years ago, maybe Maryland better than I expected and Miami a little worse than 4th.

Miami has a good trio if Reggie Johnson gets healthy to go with Durand Scott and Malcolm Grant though, and Maryland pretty limited with Stoglin, Pe'Shon Howard, Mosley and maybe that 7 footer from overseas or freshman Nick Faust.

FSU has a lot of seniors and Duke has a lot of juniors to give UNC a run for its money, but ACC unbalanced schedule not much different for the top 3.

I did not attempt to factor in home only versus away only in the SOS analysis, just home and home twice.

For home court advantage, it's somewhat a self fulfilling prophecy, but I next broke the 12 teams into quadrants, but also tried to factor in that UNC is a heavy favorite and BC is extremely short handed with just Rubin and Moton returning.

The assumption was that a team more than 4 or 5 places away would never have an upset even at home, but for teams in the same quadrant, the home team would win, and sometmes also win at home versus teams one quadrant higher. In reality this is often 50/50 and not so black and white.

UNC 3 loses are to Duke and FSU and one of Miami/UVA/VA Tech on road

Duke 4 loses are to UNC, FSU, VA Tech and Clemson on road. At the time I had Clemson in second quadrant and Miami who Duke plays only at home in third quadrant. So maybe only 3 losses

If FSU beats UNC at home, FSU 5 losses are to Duke, Miami, UVA, VA Tech and NC St on road.

Miami 6 losses are to UNC, Duke, FSU, UVA, NC State and Maryland on road.

UVA 7 losses are to UNC, Duke, FSU, VA Tech, Clemson, NC State and Maryland all on road.

VA Tech loses at home to UNC and on road to Duke, FSU, Miami, VA Tech, Clemson, Maryland and Wake to finish 8-8 and again miss NCAAT.

If Clemson can beat Duke and FSU at home, Clemson 8 losses are to UNC, FSU, Miami, UVA, VA Tech, Wake, GA Tech and BC to be 8-0 at home and 0-8 on road. My guess is they lose to one of Duke/FSU at home but beat BC on road.

NC State might win at home vs. FSU or on road vs. GA Tech or BC, not all 3, plus win at home vs. Miami, UVA, Maryland, Wake, GA Tech and BC for 7 or 8 wins

Maryland might beat Miami or UVA at home, plus wins home games vs. VA Tech, GA Tech, Wake and BC for at most 6 wins.

Wake at best 5 wins home games versus VA Tech, Clemson, NC St, GA Tech and BC.

GA Tech 4 wins at home versus Maryland, Wake, BC and one of Clemson/NC State.

At best BC beats Wake, GA Tech and NC State to win 3.

Of course not all teams will win so many home games, so expectation is that upsets offset.

Very intriguing analysis but a couple of teams are bound to suck really bad...

Slackerb
10-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Does this give State the best recruiting class so far for 2012 and the best player in the ACC for 2012?

Rivals shows State at #6 in the nation in their latest update...

Olympic Fan
10-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Does this give State the best recruiting class so far for 2012 and the best player in the ACC for 2012?

Rivals shows State at #6 in the nation in their latest update...

Tough call ... rsci (which averages recruiting rankings) hasn't updated since June, but has Purvis as No. 12 as the top ACC commitment, ahead of Sulaimon at No. 17, Marcus Paige (UNC) ar No. 29 and S Cleare (maryland) at No. 36.

Those rankings are going to change -- Sulaimon has moved up in several services (and even in June three major services ranked him ahead of Purvis). But I guess you could argue that Purvis is the top ACC recruit at the moment.

As for the best class, State has No. 12 Purvis and No. 59 Tyler Lewis. That's better (on paper) than Maryland (No. 36 Cleare and No. 65 Layman). But you might argue that UNC's three-man class -- No. 29 Paige, No. 61 James and No. 68 Tokoto is more valuable. Wake has a pretty deep class, but it's top guys are in the 75-100 range.

Still, it's early. ACC schools are in it for No. 1 Shabazz Muhammed, No. 3 Mitch McGary, No. 22 Tony Parker, No. 23 TJ Warren (good chance he picks between State and UNC -- that could make one of those clearly better than the other).

If Duke gets Parker or McGary, I'll be VERY happy with our class. Add the home run -- Shabazz! -- and it might be rated the No. 1 class.

CDu
10-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Tough call ... rsci (which averages recruiting rankings) hasn't updated since June, but has Purvis as No. 12 as the top ACC commitment, ahead of Sulaimon at No. 17, Marcus Paige (UNC) ar No. 29 and S Cleare (maryland) at No. 36.

Those rankings are going to change -- Sulaimon has moved up in several services (and even in June three major services ranked him ahead of Purvis). But I guess you could argue that Purvis is the top ACC recruit at the moment.

As for the best class, State has No. 12 Purvis and No. 59 Tyler Lewis. That's better (on paper) than Maryland (No. 36 Cleare and No. 65 Layman). But you might argue that UNC's three-man class -- No. 29 Paige, No. 61 James and No. 68 Tokoto is more valuable. Wake has a pretty deep class, but it's top guys are in the 75-100 range.

Still, it's early. ACC schools are in it for No. 1 Shabazz Muhammed, No. 3 Mitch McGary, No. 22 Tony Parker, No. 23 TJ Warren (good chance he picks between State and UNC -- that could make one of those clearly better than the other).

If Duke gets Parker or McGary, I'll be VERY happy with our class. Add the home run -- Shabazz! -- and it might be rated the No. 1 class.

Agreed.

Sulaimon's RSCI is being hurt by his Rivals rank. Rivals has him at 33 right now - well behind any of the other sources. Rivals is also the highest on Purvis (#7). Every other source has Sulaimon as very close to Purvis, if not ahead (Sulaimon is ranked slightly higher on 4 of the other 5 rankings).

But as you note, the decisions of Muhammad, McGary, Parker, and Warren could very easily influence the rankings in the favor of Duke, UNC, or State. It doesn't sound very promising for us being the #1 class in the ACC right now though, but we could very well end up with the top recruit amongst the ACC teams (Sulaimon) when the final RSCI numbers come out.