PDA

View Full Version : The Legion of Doom!

JasonEvans
09-26-2011, 08:42 AM
I thought this was an amusing idea (http://rushthecourt.net/2011/09/26/legion-of-doom-figuring-the-all-villain-teams-for-selected-schools/). It is a list of the ultimate villains, aka the "Legion of Doom," for several schools. For example, here is the Duke Legion of Doom:

Duke Villains

Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina (captain)
Scotty Thurman, Arkansas
Khalid El-Amin, Connecticut
Randolph Childress, Wake Forest
Rasheed Wallace, North Carolina
Dean Smith, North Carolina (coach)

*self-loathing sub: Dahntay Jones

And, here is Carolina's list:

North Carolina Villains

JJ Redick, Duke (captain)
Harold Arceneaux, Weber State
Gerald Henderson, Duke
Danya Abrams, Boston College
Rick Robey, Kentucky
Mike Krzyzewski, Duke (coach)

*self-loathing sub: Makhtar Ndiaye

Anyway, I found it somewhat diverting this morning. Thought ya'll might enjoy it as well.

--Jason "the Duke list really needs to include, Bootsie, right?" Evans

P.S. - Above article courtesy Airowe's twitter feed (http://twitter.com/#!/DukeHoopBlog)

devildeac
09-26-2011, 09:31 AM
I thought this was an amusing idea (http://rushthecourt.net/2011/09/26/legion-of-doom-figuring-the-all-villain-teams-for-selected-schools/). It is a list of the ultimate villains, aka the "Legion of Doom," for several schools. For example, here is the Duke Legion of Doom:

Anyway, I found it somewhat diverting this morning. Thought ya'll might enjoy it as well.

P.S. - Above article courtesy Airowe's twitter feed (http://twitter.com/#!/DukeHoopBlog)

We'd need a 2nd team.

Early nominees:

Jack "Goose" Givens
Larry Brown
Deron Washington

DukeUsul
09-26-2011, 09:32 AM

The best part is that the Kansas and Kentucky legion of doom teams are their very own former coaches.

Billy Dat
09-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Lex Luthor - Michael Jordan
Bizarro - Eric Montross
Cheetah - Harrison Barnes
Toy Man - Danny Green
Brainiac - Scott Williams (We know how well he did on the SAT, thanks, Deano)
Grodd the Gorilla - I am not touching this one
Solomon Grundy - Tyler Zeller
Black Manta - Psycho T (based on his ability to leap into pools from frat house balconies)
Sinestro - Dean Smith
Scarecrow - John Henson
Giganta - Brendan Haywood
Riddler - Bobby Frasor

treborredneb
09-26-2011, 10:03 AM
As a 1986 alum, Pervis Ellison heads up my Legion of Doom.

Bluedog
09-26-2011, 10:07 AM
I'd also add Emeka Okafor to Duke's list. While it wasn't a constant thing like Psycho T, that one game was enough for Duke fans to shudder at the sight of Okafor...Too bad everybody on our team fouled out while trying to guard him. Hard not to relive that game and ask "what if?" :mad:

UrinalCake
09-26-2011, 11:03 AM
If we're going to base things off of a single game, there's a ton of guys we could put on our list. But for guys who consistently gave us nightmares, I'd have to add Antawn Jamison. He killed us during a period of time when it seemed like we'd never be able to beat them. To make things worse, he seemed like a decent guy.

UNC's list would have to have Randolph Childress.

gus
09-26-2011, 11:30 AM
UNC's list would have to have Randolph Childress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJMsoIptQo&feature=related

Kdogg
09-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Oh that list brings back some haunting memories. I think I might replace Wallace with Jamison though. I still haven't gotten over the 35 points in 53 seconds.

lmb
09-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Not sure about Dahntay as our self-loathing guy. Although I'm not sure who I would choose. Maybe McBob.

Edouble
09-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Not sure about Dahntay as our self-loathing guy. Although I'm not sure who I would choose. Maybe McBob.

Yeah, I don't get the Dahntay thing either. I'd have to go with Paulus.

uh_no
09-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Not sure about Dahntay as our self-loathing guy.

I think Jay Bilas has the "self loathing" title locked up :P

OldPhiKap
09-26-2011, 01:41 PM

Man, that's gonna cost me a couple of weeks of therapy to get that memory sufficiently suppressed again.

@# $@#$ @#$@ $@# $@#$ $@# $@#$ #$!@!$ @#$ $^#$ !@! $#$@#$.

loldevilz
09-26-2011, 04:15 PM
I don't understand why Ty Lawson isn't on that list. He didn't lose a single game to Duke in 3 years. Plus, he basically won a few of those games by himself. Of course, you could say it was Paulus that was responsible. But I don't think Paulus was self-loathing-he just stunk.

Faison1
09-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Maybe add Stackhouse to the squad, with Danny Green as the mascot.

And Rick Fox as the towel boy.

johnb
09-26-2011, 04:50 PM
I don't understand why Ty Lawson isn't on that list. He didn't lose a single game to Duke in 3 years. Plus, he basically won a few of those games by himself. Of course, you could say it was Paulus that was responsible. But I don't think Paulus was self-loathing-he just stunk.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but unless you have some inside info that Paulus was a slacker, I take exception to dissing one of our guys, especially one who was a valuable contributor and lived up to what seemed to be his abilities.

cspan37421
09-26-2011, 05:18 PM

As a class of 1989 alumnus (and thus a freshman on the quad that year), I agree. He just about single-handedly cost us a national title that year. Here was his line: 25 points (10-14, 5-6), 11 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 1 assist. That was as a freshman; he wasn't even a 16 ppg player in his full career at Louisville. We only lost by 3. I can hardly fathom how crushing it must have felt to a senior - that what seemed to be an almost inevitable culmination of those four years came crashing down. For me it was just a rude end to a great season ... I had 3 more seasons to see in person, all good, a couple really good, none as great.

But that was one game. If the legion of doom should be someone who gets the best of you time after time, strike him.

Indoor66
09-26-2011, 06:33 PM
We'd need a 2nd team.

Early nominees:

Jack "Goose" Givens
Larry Brown
Deron Washington

Actually, Goose Givens belongs on the first team.

77devil
09-26-2011, 08:45 PM

Hockey's All-time Classic Lines
Legion of Doom - John LeClair, Eric Lindros, Mikael Renberg

Go Flyers

OldPhiKap
09-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Any list that doesn't have Tom Sheehey is one short.

Not because he was good. Because he was evil.

treborredneb
09-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Any list that doesn't have Tom Sheehey is one short.

Not because he was good. Because he was evil.

One of my favorites Cameron memories was when we were playing UVa in 1984 or maybe 1985. Sheehey started the game on fire, scoring 14 or so points in first 10 minutes or so. Then, Duke's greatest Canadian player ever Danny Meagher -- channelling his inner hockey player -- spat in Sheehey's face while the two of them were running down court trailing a break. Meagher raced away, and Sheehey stormed after him and, wonderfully, picked up a technical. For the rest of the game, whenever Sheehey touched the ball, the Crazies chanted, "Meagher spat in your face!" Sheehey was pedestrian, if not downright awful, the rest of the game, which Duke won. I recognize that this was not a great moment in Duke Sportsmanship History, but it was funny as hell, especially given how annoying Sheehey was.

OldPhiKap
09-27-2011, 10:58 AM
One of my favorites Cameron memories was when we were playing UVa in 1984 or maybe 1985. Sheehey started the game on fire, scoring 14 or so points in first 10 minutes or so. Then, Duke's greatest Canadian player ever Danny Meagher -- channelling his inner hockey player -- spat in Sheehey's face while the two of them were running down court trailing a break. Meagher raced away, and Sheehey stormed after him and, wonderfully, picked up a technical. For the rest of the game, whenever Sheehey touched the ball, the Crazies chanted, "Meagher spat in your face!" Sheehey was pedestrian, if not downright awful, the rest of the game, which Duke won. I recognize that this was not a great moment in Duke Sportsmanship History, but it was funny as hell, especially given how annoying Sheehey was.

That was one of my first conference games. Loved Danny after that.

(Although he did take a cheap shot at K on Duke Channel 13 when its Letterman-like show aired -- so I assume there's no love lost between them necessarily either.)

davekay1971
09-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Almost need separate lists: guys that we loathe, and guys that killed us. While some guys cross over, there are certainly separate villians on the two lists.

Legion of Doom (guys that killed us, either in one horrible memorable game or through their careers, but who we may or may not hate):
Ty Lawson
Pervis Ellison
Jared Jeffries
The Demon Deacon Rodney Rogers/Randolph Childress/Tim Duncan trifecta of terror
Antawn Jamison

The Dr. Evil Club (guys we love to hate)
Rasheed Wallace
Jeff McInnis
King Rice (you suck, you really really suck)
Steve Bucknall
Jeff Lebo
Steve Ex-Hale
Eric Montross
Jerry Stackhouse
Dancin' Danny Green
Rashad McCants
Prince Harry...The Black Pigeon
uh...do we HAVE to include any non-powder blue guys?

sagegrouse
09-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Almost need separate lists: guys that we loathe, and guys that killed us. While some guys cross over, there are certainly separate villians on the two lists.

The Dr. Evil Club (guys we love to hate)
Rasheed Wallace
Jeff McInnis
King Rice (you suck, you really really suck)
Steve Bucknall
Jeff Lebo
Steve Ex-Hale
Eric Montross
Jerry Stackhouse
Dancin' Danny Green
Rashad McCants
Prince Harry...The Black Pigeon
uh...do we HAVE to include any non-powder blue guys?

I agree completely with you Dave Kay. But to me, it's not just guys we "love to hate;" it's UNC players who are truly loathesome. And for that, my list includes players that UNC coaches or teammates couldn't abide:

Jeff McInnes
Vince Carter
Makhtiar Ndiaye
Rashad McCants
Rasheed Wallace
Jerry Stackhouse

Matt Doherty, player-coach

sagegrouse
'And I am sure there are others'

Dev11
09-28-2011, 08:25 AM
I agree completely with you Dave Kay. But to me, it's not just guys we "love to hate;" it's UNC players who are truly loathesome. And for that, my list includes players that UNC coaches or teammates couldn't abide:

Jeff McInnes
Vince Carter
Makhtiar Ndiaye
Rashad McCants
Rasheed Wallace
Jerry Stackhouse

Matt Doherty, player-coach

sagegrouse
'And I am sure there are others'

Reggie Bullock, because apparently Andre Dawkins can't guard him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arv-P1UyCyQ

burnspbesq
09-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Interesting that we've gotten to page two and no one has mentioned Jason Kidd or Eric Maynor.

And on the women's side ... hmmm

Kristi Tolliver (capt.)
Katie Douglas
Janel McCarville
Jackie Stiles
Ivory Latta

Reserves:
Marie Ferdinand
Sylvia Fowles
Leah Metcalf
Maya Moore
Krystal Langhorne

Co-coaches: Sylvia and Brenda

dukebluelemur
09-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Would the NCState list include anyone who wasn't a self-loathing wolfpack player or coach? At least if we don't go back very far (I don't have the ACC... uh... longevity of some of you guys.) Bitterness and inadequacy seem to be the watchwords over there the last decade or so.

Edouble
09-29-2011, 01:56 AM
Interesting that we've gotten to page two and no one has mentioned Jason Kidd or Eric Maynor.

But if it hadn't been Eric Maynor, it would have been the next round. That was no great Duke team that he knocked out. He also didn't show the kind of poor sportsmanship that we remember some of these other guys for.

If not for Jared Jeffries, we might have gone back to back. When IU beat us in '02, I also remember Mike Davis really adding insult to injury and piling it on in the post-game. Same thing with WVU in '08, which is why it was so sweet to beat them in '10.

I can't blame a guy for wanting to win, hence Maynor wouldn't touch my list. It's the guys that ruined a "team of destiny" like Jeffries or El-Amin, and then woof more about Duke's loss than their win that get my goat, or a guy like E.Ok that had the game handed to them by the refs.