PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 31, Florida International University 27

Olympic Fan
09-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Duke's next opponent is something of an enigma.

Florida International was supposed to be pretty good this season, coming off a 7-win bowl season with 17 starters back, including almost all their key offensive players. And they got off to a good start too -- routing a weak North Texas team, then edging Louisville and Central Florida to go 3-0.

But just when it looked like Duke would be a big underdog next week on the road, FIU lost 36-31 at home to Louisiana Lafayette. There were some mitigating factors. FIS's star QB Wesley Carrioll suffered a sprained ankle early in the game and was replaced by a redshirt freshman. And their star -- and NFL prospect -- WR TY Hilton played, but was supposedly hampered by an ankle injury and had just three catches. Not sure of their status for the Duke game.

On the other hand, FIU did put up 31 points and they got a great performance from Kedrick Rholes -- 157 yards rushing.

On the OTHER hand, the lack of their offensive stars didn't have anything to do with the 36 points they gave up against La-Lafayette. They surrendered three touchdown passes (and I read that pass defense was expected to be their one achilles heel going into the season).

So should be an interesting game -- FIU is clearly talented, but they also represent a team Duke can beat if the Devils play well.

loldevilz
09-25-2011, 12:43 PM
I find this match up intriguing. FIU is obviously a very experienced and talented team that has already taken down some pretty good teams like Louisville and Central Florida, but I do think they are beatable, especially considering the way Duke has been playing. I am a little concerned about the injuries. We have to get Ross Cockrell and Lee Butler back in the secondary. Anunike was by far our best pass rusher and he is out for the season. I don't think he is replaceable, but hopefully Dez Johnson can do a serviceable job there. Apparently Cutcliffe has been rotating players to prepare for situations like this which is a good thing. I really like what our offense has been doing. Juwan Thompson is a fantastic player who has really been utilized well the last few games. I would really like to see Jamison Crowder used more. As a San Diego Chargers fan I have been watching tiny Darren Sproles tear defenses up the for the last few seasons, and I believe Crowder can be used the same way. Let him catch the ball out of the backfield or off a reverse and let him just run. He has incredible speed. If he gets a seem he is taking it all the way.

Bob Green
09-25-2011, 07:46 PM
I watched the end of the 1st half and the entire 2nd half of the FIU loss to LA-Lafayette (I absolutely love ESPN3). FIU has a lot of speed at the skill positions and they are big and strong on both sides of the ball at the line of scrimmage. However, I agree with OF that their pass defense is suspect. Objective #1 for Duke next Saturday is for the offensive line to give Sean Renfree time to pass the ball. If Renfree has time, he should be able to shred the FIU secondary. Our wide receiver corps is as good as any group of receivers in the nation. Objective #2 will be for Juwan Thompson, and hopefully Desmond Scott, to be effective running the football. A balanced attack will be required to defeat the obviously talented Golden Panthers. We must run the ball to keep FIU off balance.

On defense, we need Ross Cockrell to be healthy as Ty Hilton (#4) is the real deal. He will play on Sunday next year but he is currently limited by a strained hamstring. Our defense will need to know where #4 is at all times (he normally lines up in the slot) because Hilton has big play ability. Rhodes (#9) was solid running the ball so the run defense must step up and play strong. Duke's "rushing defense" is currently ranked #4 in the ACC and #36 in the FBS allowing 109 yards per game so we are definitely up to the task.

It will be interesting to see how Vegas views the game when opening odds are listed tomorrow or Tuesday:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

This is a winnable game and with the tough home schedule this year Duke must win multiple games on the road. We persevered at Boston College so now it is time to travel to Miami and win a second road game.

roywhite
09-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Florida International University is a new school (founded in 1965) but hardly a small school (44,000 students!)

FIU according to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_International_University)

Honestly, I had no idea it was such a big school.

CDu
09-26-2011, 11:22 AM
The FIU game will be a good test. We'll very likely be the underdog, as FIU has beaten better teams than us (UCF, @Louisville). But the home loss by FIU to ULL (not a terrible team, but a game that a decent team should win at home) raises questions.

If we can win this one, I think we have a shot at a 5-win season. If we don't, it looks more likely that a 3-4 win season is in the cards.

Hopefully the defense is up to the challenge and the offense can do enough to make this a 3-game win streak.

CDu
09-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Florida International University is a new school (founded in 1965) but hardly a small school (44,000 students!)

FIU according to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_International_University)

Honestly, I had no idea it was such a big school.

Yeah, it's one of two large public schools in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area (Florida Atlantic is the other). There is such a large population base to work with down there. It's actually pretty crazy how big the public schools in Florida are. What's crazy is that you'd think that the two largest schools in the state system would be UF and FSU. Not true. UF is the second-largest (behind UCF) and FSU is the 5th largest (also behind USF and FIU). UCF is the 2nd largest school in the country, UF is 6th, USF is 8th, and FIU is 15th.

Bob Green
09-26-2011, 10:53 PM
FIU quarterback Wesley Carroll is expected to start Saturday, and T.Y. Hilton’s strained hamstring is improving

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/26/2426699/injury-problems-lessen-for-fiu.html

FIU is currently a 2.5 point favorite with the over/under set at 56.5 points.

gep
09-27-2011, 12:36 AM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/26/2426699/injury-problems-lessen-for-fiu.html

FIU is currently a 2.5 point favorite with the over/under set at 56.5 points.

Good. Right where we want them... thinking they'll win. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
09-27-2011, 08:35 AM
In this morning's N&O the line was "off". Does this mean the bets coming in are too one sided, there are too many unknown factors to put a line on the game, or something else? For those in the know, please explain to the rest of us! Thanks.

Olympic Fan
09-27-2011, 10:57 AM
In this morning's N&O the line was "off". Does this mean the bets coming in are too one sided, there are too many unknown factors to put a line on the game, or something else? For those in the know, please explain to the rest of us! Thanks.

I suspect it has to do with FIU's injuries. Whether Wesley Carroll -- their senior QB -- plays or not (he missed the last three quarters of the LL game with an ankle injury) and whether WR TY Hilton -- their best player (he played against LL, but was hampered by an achilles strain) is healthy will have a HUGE impact on the game.

I found this story from Tuesday morning:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/27/2426699/injury-problems-lessen-for-fiu.html

Basically, the FIU coach expects Carroll to play and Hilton to be healthier than last week. On the other hand, they are missing their second-best WR and their starting safety, Interesting question about their pass rush -- they came into the LL game ranked second in the nation with five sacks a game, but got none against LL and turned a mediocre quarterback (212 passing yards total before the FIU game) into the conference player of the week.

davekay1971
09-28-2011, 12:14 PM
A little update on the injuries for Saturday (from the bottom of this article: http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/15787828/article-Duke-defense-hit-and-run-victim-no-longer?instance=main_article).

Will Snyderwine will be kicking.
Snead and Scott are maybes. According to Cut they're progressing, but may not be ready for FIU. Sounds like they're likely to be back for the meat of the ACC season, anyway.
Brian Moore and Connette will be held out. The article didn't elaborate at all on a timetable for return. Hopefully we'll be seeing Moore back in action for ACC play!

These injury mentions were at the bottom of a nice article on Duke's improved run defense. God bless Heather Dinich and her ACC football blog's Lunchtime Links.

CameronBornAndBred
09-28-2011, 01:09 PM
I liked reading the following on WRAL's site today.

Then came an admission from the coach.
"But Sean is accurate, big, he's just .....I did a poor job with him early not really taking some pressure off him and cutting him loose. Curt Roper (offensive coordinator) did a great job of getting him back just by aggressive play call, and we're gonna continue that path. He's a weapon. And we can't win playing conservative."
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/10194572/
Nice to see him own up to the conservative calling. Lets hope the next time we get a lead, we keep piling it on like we did against Tulane. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:

Greg_Newton
09-28-2011, 09:36 PM
A little update on the injuries for Saturday (from the bottom of this article: http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/15787828/article-Duke-defense-hit-and-run-victim-no-longer?instance=main_article).

Will Snyderwine will be kicking.
Snead and Scott are maybes. According to Cut they're progressing, but may not be ready for FIU. Sounds like they're likely to be back for the meat of the ACC season, anyway.
Brian Moore and Connette will be held out. The article didn't elaborate at all on a timetable for return. Hopefully we'll be seeing Moore back in action for ACC play!

These injury mentions were at the bottom of a nice article on Duke's improved run defense. God bless Heather Dinich and her ACC football blog's Lunchtime Links.

Nice! Combined with the fact that they're listed on the 2-deep (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/787820.pdf?ATCLID=205303284&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200), seems like Cockrell and Butler may be back for this game. Which would be HUGE, especially Cockrell...

chrishoke
09-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Nice! Combined with the fact that they're listed on the 2-deep (https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/787820.pdf?ATCLID=205303284&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200), seems like Cockrell and Butler may be back for this game. Which would be HUGE, especially Cockrell...

That would be awsome. We need Cockrell in this game

sagegrouse
09-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Connor and Donovan were teammates at Gulliver Prep in Miami. Other south Florida Devils are starting LB Austin Gamble, Centers Travis Gibson and Brian Moore, and K Guillermo Freile.

Wonder if it's an accident or is Duke trying to honor some of the football players with a home game?

sagegrouse

watzone
09-29-2011, 09:45 AM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/09/sean-renfree-talks-of-the-win-and-this-weeks-opponent/ Nice little Sean Renfree interview. He was very upbeat during this weeks media session and let's hop we can come out 3-2 after the FIU game.

Scorp4me
09-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Connor and Donovan were teammates at Gulliver Prep in Miami. Other south Florida Devils are starting LB Austin Gamble, Centers Travis Gibson and Brian Moore, and K Guillermo Freile.

Wonder if it's an accident or is Duke trying to honor some of the football players with a home game?

sagegrouse

They were teammates in high school? Seriously? Geez, I'd have hated to be a corner playing them. Actually that's not true I would have relished it, but still I'm sure they won quite a few games together.

duke blue brewcrew
09-29-2011, 10:31 AM
I haven't been able to find an accurate depth chart online. Does anyone know how Duke plans to handle the Anunike loss? I know Coach Cut has been doing a great job of rotating players in all season to build depth and experience, but who will be getting the lion's share of PT?

jafarr1
09-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Not only is the game back down towards home for a number of Duke players, but Byas, Vernon, Varner, Gamble and Gibson all have former high school teammates on FIU's team.

jafarr1
09-29-2011, 10:35 AM
I haven't been able to find an accurate depth chart online. Does anyone know how Duke plans to handle the Anunike loss? I know Coach Cut has been doing a great job of rotating players in all season to build depth and experience, but who will be getting the lion's share of PT?

Look at the game notes link from a little earlier in the thread. The depth chart is a handful of pages in.

Ondijo-Dewalt will inherit Anunike's starting spot. According to Cut, his biggest problem has been consistency. Jamal Wallace should see the biggest increase in playing time.

watzone
09-29-2011, 10:38 AM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/09/bdns-duke-vs-tulane-highlight-video/ Here is our latest highlight video effort for the Duke-Tulane game. The FIU game will the the last one on turf for the Blue Devils. The stadium seats about 18,000 people there. I think FIU was looking ahead last week for they have never had anyone like Duke visit before. They'll be pumped up and are the favorite. With a bye week following the game for Duke, I think you'll see a most all out efffort in their attempt to win their third straight game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Not only is the game back down towards home for a number of Duke players, but Byas, Vernon, Varner, Gamble and Gibson all have former high school teammates on FIU's team.
You can add Dave Harding, Kyle Hill, Ryan Hall, Eric Adams, Jeff Ijjas and Guillermo Freile to the list of our players who are from Florida and likely to have ties to members of the FIU team.

sagegrouse
09-29-2011, 10:59 AM

As another poster mentioned, there is a treasure trove of data under the heading "Game Notes." It's on GoDuke.com, but it's hard to find (maybe it's the catchy title :p). It contains about 60 pages of PDF for each game, including the two-deep lineups for offense, defense and special teams.

sagegrouse

jafarr1
09-29-2011, 12:21 PM
You can add Dave Harding, Kyle Hill, Ryan Hall, Eric Adams, Jeff Ijjas and Guillermo Freile to the list of our players who are from Florida and likely to have ties to members of the FIU team.

I was going from the game notes, which actually listed out the players with ties to FIU.

formerdukeathlete
09-29-2011, 03:08 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/09/bdns-duke-vs-tulane-highlight-video/ Here is our latest highlight video effort for the Duke-Tulane game. The FIU game will the the last one on turf for the Blue Devils. The stadium seats about 18,000 people there. I think FIU was looking ahead last week for they have never had anyone like Duke visit before. They'll be pumped up and are the favorite. With a bye week following the game for Duke, I think you'll see a most all out efffort in their attempt to win their third straight game.

i think FIU now claims 23.5k capacity, with largest crowd of 20 plus k so far. The Duke game is just about a sellout. we should come out swinging figuratively. Our guys would be well served to be very tough physically on the line with these guys at the first snap. Give Renfree some time, and put the game away by halftime.

Maybe 8 guys on their roster had other D-1 offers. Maybe 2 had BCS offers.

Sure, they appear to be well coached. With our superior talent, with hopefully generally in the same ballpark coaching, we should win this one.

CDu
09-29-2011, 05:41 PM
i think FIU now claims 23.5k capacity, with largest crowd of 20 plus k so far. The Duke game is just about a sellout. we should come out swinging figuratively. Our guys would be well served to be very tough physically on the line with these guys at the first snap. Give Renfree some time, and put the game away by halftime.

Maybe 8 guys on their roster had other D-1 offers. Maybe 2 had BCS offers.

Sure, they appear to be well coached. With our superior talent, with hopefully generally in the same ballpark coaching, we should win this one.

I think you might be underselling FIU's talent just a bit here, probably because you've not actually looked at their roster. Their QB started 13 games at Miss State and was an All-Freshman in the SEC before transferring home. A glance at the other offensive skill positions alone shows a transfer from Syracuse (RB) and players recruited by Iowa and Ole Miss (RB), Illinois (RB), Ole Miss, WVU, and UF (WR). And that's just looking at QB, RB, and WR. I'm quite sure that a search of the DB and LB would find other such examples. They're probably smaller on the lines than we are, but their talent at the other spots appears pretty solid.

We probably have more talent, but this isn't some joke of an FBS program that we should hammer on talent alone. This is a team that won at Louisville and at home against UCF this season, and draws from the also-rans (the guys that FSU, UF, and Miami don't want) from a very fertile football state. And we'll be playing them at their place, which offsets some of the talent advantage (which isn't as great as you suggest). There's a reason that FIU is favored.

We can certainly win this one, but I certainly wouldn't say we should win it.

sagegrouse
09-29-2011, 06:12 PM
This is a team that won at Louisville and at home against UCF this season, and draws from the also-rans (the guys that FSU, UF, and Miami don't want) from a very fertile football state. And we'll be playing them at their place, which offsets some of the talent advantage (which isn't as great as you suggest). There's a reason that FIU is favored.

I would go even further. While FSU, UF and Miami do NOT have the highest standards in FBS football, I believe that FIU takes players that would qualify on football grounds for the BCS teams in Florida but do not make the grade academically or for other reasons. Or, players that, for family or other reasons, want to stay in Miami.

Also, isn't this an artificial turf field? I can't believe that's an advantage for Duke.

sagegrouse
'I'd be happy with a 20-19 victory'

formerdukeathlete
09-29-2011, 08:15 PM
I think you might be underselling FIU's talent just a bit here, probably because you've not actually looked at their roster. Their QB started 13 games at Miss State and was an All-Freshman in the SEC before transferring home. A glance at the other offensive skill positions alone shows a transfer from Syracuse (RB) and players recruited by Iowa and Ole Miss (RB), Illinois (RB), Ole Miss, WVU, and UF (WR). And that's just looking at QB, RB, and WR. I'm quite sure that a search of the DB and LB would find other such examples. They're probably smaller on the lines than we are, but their talent at the other spots appears pretty solid.

We probably have more talent, but this isn't some joke of an FBS program that we should hammer on talent alone. This is a team that won at Louisville and at home against UCF this season, and draws from the also-rans (the guys that FSU, UF, and Miami don't want) from a very fertile football state. And we'll be playing them at their place, which offsets some of the talent advantage (which isn't as great as you suggest). There's a reason that FIU is favored.

Recruiting has improved with Cristobal. And, by now, I will concede, its vastly improved over his predecessor. The transfers point to his recruiting abilties. Still the majority of FIU recruits if you looks at recruiting services have no other D-1 offers. The combination of improved recruiting, improved coaching and transfers helps explain wins over Central Florida and Louisville. I maintain if we come out aggressively from the start, we can get out in front, and stay that way and win. But, if we are timid in the slightest and not as physical on the line, we could be headed for a big disappointment here. Still dont get the attraction of FIU. In southwest Dade County. Miles and with traffic an hour from South Beach. But, the campus is fairly well developed, and amazingly their acceptance rate is just under 40%, competitive, comparing well with other Florida schools with higher rankings. But Cristobal is getting it done, as of right now. Me thinks he will get an offer or a number of offers after this season.

sagegrouse
09-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Is this the last televised Duke game of the season. GoDuke shows every subsequent game with the listing, "Blue Devil Sports Network from IMG College (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204777837&SPID=1841&SPSID=22634)." The link talks about radio broadcasts.

But what does this mean for TV?

sagegrouse

Bob Green
09-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Is this the last televised Duke game of the season. GoDuke shows every subsequent game with the listing, "Blue Devil Sports Network from IMG College (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204777837&SPID=1841&SPSID=22634)." The link talks about radio broadcasts.

But what does this mean for TV?

sagegrouse

The TV Schedule is announced on Monday two weeks in advance of the games. The October 8 TV coverage was announced on September 26:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092611aaa.html

TV coverage for FSU @ Duke on October 15, should be announced on Monday October 3.

chrishoke
09-29-2011, 10:47 PM
I predict lots of ESPN3 coverage the rest of the year.

gep
09-30-2011, 12:35 AM

I hope you're correct. THAT would be just perfect. I get ESPN3, but don't get ESPNU.

OldPhiKap
09-30-2011, 08:32 AM

Depends how we do. A few wins, and future games merit being picked up.

Relevant teams get relevant coverage. And it's up to us to make us relevant in the conference.

Go get 'em, guys!

CameronBornAndBred
09-30-2011, 09:09 AM
The TV Schedule is announced on Monday two weeks in advance of the games. The October 8 TV coverage was announced on September 26:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092611aaa.html

TV coverage for FSU @ Duke on October 15, should be announced on Monday October 3.
I'm crossing my fingers that since FSU got the 12:30 slot for the 8th that means they will not get it 2 weeks in row, thus we get to enjoy another 3:30 tailgate.

Olympic Fan
09-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Just a couple of points:

-- I would think FIU's performance in victories over Louisville and Central Florida would provide a better gauge of their talent than a bunch of old recruiting ratings. If anything, their success ought to provide (yet another) reminder of the perils of putting too much stock in recruiting news.

I remember talking to Chuck Amato about the talent in South Florida. Amato, whatever his failings as a head coach, was a recruiting dynamo in the Miami/Dade/Broward area -- both as Bowden's top assistant at FSU and as head man at NC State. Amato did much of his work in the era before FIU and Florida Atlantic or even South Florida were competing for kids. But he always argued there was more talent in the area than the Big Three in Florida could use. He claimed schools could get rich on the second-tier talent in the area. Indeed, one of the strengths of FSU when they were dominant were the number of walk-ons they pulled in from the area. The best example was Andre Wadsworth, who was not offered a D-1 scholarship coming out of a small high school in Dade County (Liberty and Bethune-Cookman were his only offers). He went to FSU as a walk-on and became the ACC defensive player of the year (having the greatest single season of any DL in ACC history). Today, Wadsworth would have offers from FIU or Florida Atlantic.

Just to confirm that POV, Coach Cutcliffe said earlier this week that the Dade/Broward area produces more college prospects that any metro area in the country.

I wouldn't question FIU's talent.

-- Don't worry about the turf. At least Coast Cut isn't worried. Asked about it earlier this week, he said that the Duke team is actually built for turf -- since the team's greatest strength is its speed. He pointed out that they beat Boston College on turf and that they actually practice every day on a turf practice field.

-- As noted, TV schedules are only made two weeks in advance (with a couple of six-day windows). The ACC has so many windows that it's a certainty that Duke will be on TV in at least two-thirds of its remaining games. Seriously, if Duke-FIU is an ESPNU game, then I guarantee you that Duke-FSU, Duke-Miami, Dtate-Georgia Tech and Duke-UNC will be on somewhere ...

OZZIE4DUKE
09-30-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that since FSU got the 12:30 slot for the 8th that means they will not get it 2 weeks in row, thus we get to enjoy another 3:30 tailgate.
I'm hoping the Wake Forest game is at 12:30. That way I can Brunchgate and see the first quarter or so. DD's #1 daughter gets married at 5:00 pm (she had absolutely no regard for our football schedule when she planned her wedding...:p:rolleyes:) and I have to get home, shower, dressed and back to Raleigh by 4:30, or so I have been TOLD. :eek:

devildeac
09-30-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm hoping the Wake Forest game is at 12:30. That way I can Brunchgate and see the first quarter or so. DD's #1 daughter gets married at 5:00 pm (she had absolutely no regard for our football schedule when she planned her wedding...:p:rolleyes:) and I have to get home, shower, dressed and back to Raleigh by 4:30, or so I have been TOLD. :eek:

She's a unc fan/grad but I never signed any of the checks. She used to be a Duke fan but headed farther down the path to darkness the closer she got to graduation. But, when asked if she could have the couple leftover tix I had for the Duke-uncheaters FB game a couple years ago, I asked her who she would cheer for and when she said "unc," I told her she could buy her own tickets to the game.

I am also hoping to make it to part of the Brunchgate, too. However, I'd like to see my next birthday and wedding anniversary, too, so I may have breakfast and lunch in Raleigh that day. But, you know where I live so you might be able to pick me up and drop me back off at the house. Say, 930 or 1000 AM if we have that early start.........

chrishoke
09-30-2011, 02:18 PM

Or wear a suit to the game - pretend like you are in a frat. :)

orrnot
09-30-2011, 04:15 PM
-- Don't worry about the turf. At least Coast Cut isn't worried. Asked about it earlier this week, he said that the Duke team is actually built for turf -- since the team's greatest strength is its speed. He pointed out that they beat Boston College on turf and that they actually practice every day on a turf practice field.

Good point. It may be worth adding that Duke ONLY practices on turf, as that's the surface on both the indoor and outdoor practice fields. Wade is pretty much reserved for gameday action.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Or wear a suit to the game - pretend like you are in a frat. :)
I haven't had a suit that fit since the mid 80's, even now that I've lost weight. Sport coat and slacks for me. But I have to go home and shower and change. I really don't want to be all sweaty and stink at the wedding!

uh_no
09-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Good point. It may be worth adding that Duke ONLY practices on turf, as that's the surface on both the indoor and outdoor practice fields. Wade is pretty much reserved for gameday action.

Would also like to point out, playing on "turf" today is not like playing on turf 20 years ago. You really don't have to change how you play.

CDu
09-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Would also like to point out, playing on "turf" today is not like playing on turf 20 years ago. You really don't have to change how you play.

Yup. The newer field turf acts a lot like grass (only without the grass getting torn up). You can wear cleats and you make the same types of cuts. It's much better than the old "carpet on concrete" turf back in the day.

formerdukeathlete
10-01-2011, 05:45 AM
Just a couple of points:

-- I would think FIU's performance in victories over Louisville and Central Florida would provide a better gauge of their talent than a bunch of old recruiting ratings. If anything, their success ought to provide (yet another) reminder of the perils of putting too much stock in recruiting news.

I remember talking to Chuck Amato about the talent in South Florida. Amato, whatever his failings as a head coach, was a recruiting dynamo in the Miami/Dade/Broward area -- both as Bowden's top assistant at FSU and as head man at NC State. Amato did much of his work in the era before FIU and Florida Atlantic or even South Florida were competing for kids. But he always argued there was more talent in the area than the Big Three in Florida could use. He claimed schools could get rich on the second-tier talent in the area. Indeed, one of the strengths of FSU when they were dominant were the number of walk-ons they pulled in from the area. The best example was Andre Wadsworth, who was not offered a D-1 scholarship coming out of a small high school in Dade County (Liberty and Bethune-Cookman were his only offers). He went to FSU as a walk-on and became the ACC defensive player of the year (having the greatest single season of any DL in ACC history). Today, Wadsworth would have offers from FIU or Florida Atlantic.

Just to confirm that POV, Coach Cutcliffe said earlier this week that the Dade/Broward area produces more college prospects that any metro area in the country.

I wouldn't question FIU's talent.

-- As noted, TV schedules are only made two weeks in advance (with a couple of six-day windows). The ACC has so many windows that it's a certainty that Duke will be on TV in at least two-thirds of its remaining games. Seriously, if Duke-FIU is an ESPNU game, then I guarantee you that Duke-FSU, Duke-Miami, Dtate-Georgia Tech and Duke-UNC will be on somewhere ...

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, a pretty extensively defined metropolitan area, covering a huge area, was the 8th largest in the US according to the 2010 census. And, it might be that in Los Angeles, with 2.5 times the population, or that in New York, with over 3.5 times the population, these areas just dont have high school Football teams and therefore Dade-Broward produces more talent notwithstanding being a much less populated area. But, I just dont buy it. I hope this was coach speak, more along the lines of being gracious about an opponent heading into the game, and not reflecting worry about the opponent. If we lose to FIU, presuming our coaching staff is as good as FIU's which works for about 1/4 the salary in total, then I suppose this will be because FIU has recruited more talent and the recruiting services are wrong.

In 2008, Duke was ranked 71 by scout; FIU was ranked 94.

In 2009, Duke was ranked 52; FIU 90.

In 2010, Duke was ranked 71; FIU was ranked 96.

In 2011, Duke was ranked 60; FIU 97.

So far in 2012, Duke is ranked 65; FIU 99.

Were I Duke's coaching staff, I would feel pressure going into this game. This is because FIU is a team which by most objective measures has less talent than Duke's. And, that is even though Duke's recruiting has not been what it might have been, which is a whole other discussion.

We need a win here, and, then, whoever decided to schedule FIU should rethink the whole proposition. UM, FIU, FAU, USF, FSU, UCF, UF all mine Broward - Dade for talent. So do so many other D-1 programs. Its over-hyped. We already play Miami every year. We will get kids out of the good Catholic and private schools in the area. Enough of the fixation. But, on the other hand, if FIU runs over us and wins easily, that kind of suggests either you are right, the recruiting services are all wrong, FIU has much more talent because they recruit in Borward Dade., or it suggests that their lightly paid coaches are just a whole lot better than ours. Lets hope we get out of there with our lives and a win.

Bob Green
10-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Here is a preview from the Miami Herald:

What FIU had better be is schematically ready for Duke. FIU didn’t cover well downfield or on the hitches and wide receiver screens against Louisiana-Lafayette. Duke uses the latter the way some teams used to use the off-tackle and fullback buck. Sean Renfree has completed 72.7 percent of his passes and he likes to look for two Miami Gulliver graduates, wide receivers Conner Vernon and Donovan Varner.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/30/2433345/fiu-facing-a-high-speed-collision.html

We need to jump out to an early lead and force FIU to play from behind. Tonight will be a big test for our secondary so they could use an assist from the defensive line in the form of pressure on QB Wes Carroll (#13). FIU's go to receiver is a good one so our defense needs to know where TY Hilton (#4) is at all times. Hilton typically lines up in the slot. The Golden Panthers also have a quality running back in Rhodes (#9) so I expect they will try and test our run defense.

OldPhiKap
10-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Here is a preview from the Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/30/2433345/fiu-facing-a-high-speed-collision.html

We need to jump out to an early lead and force FIU to play from behind. Tonight will be a big test for our secondary so they could use an assist from the defensive line in the form of pressure on QB Wes Carroll (#13). FIU's go to receiver is a good one so our defense needs to know where TY Hilton (#4) is at all times. Hilton typically lines up in the slot. The Golden Panthers also have a quality running back in Rhodes (#9) so I expect they will try and test our run defense.

Agree about jumping out to a lead if possible, but certainly we cannot afford mistakes that give up points or scoring opportunities.

Execute the plays, guys! Everything follows from that.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-01-2011, 11:33 AM
The balanced, confident performance against Tulane in the last game is a great foundation for today's game.

pbc2
10-01-2011, 12:21 PM
I'll be tweeting live from the game tonight for those interested. Anyone else going to be in South Florida tonight?

Coach Cut has emphasized improving Duke's team speed through conditioning and recruiting. Tonight will be a good litmus test against a quick FIU team. Can the 4-2-5 keep up with the spread offense and blazing speed of T.Y. Hilton? Will Duke's receivers and backs be able to break open some plays? The Blue Devils should be able to be the more physical team tonight, which may disrupt FIU. Protecting Sean Renfree against an aggressive pass rush will be key tonight.

sagegrouse
10-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, a pretty extensively defined metropolitan area, covering a huge area, was the 8th largest in the US according to the 2010 census. And, it might be that in Los Angeles, with 2.5 times the population, or that in New York, with over 3.5 times the population, these areas just dont have high school Football teams and therefore Dade-Broward produces more talent notwithstanding being a much less populated area. But, I just dont buy it. I hope this was coach speak, more along the lines of being gracious about an opponent heading into the game, and not reflecting worry about the opponent. If we lose to FIU, presuming our coaching staff is as good as FIU's which works for about 1/4 the salary in total, then I suppose this will be because FIU has recruited more talent and the recruiting services are wrong.

In 2008, Duke was ranked 71 by scout; FIU was ranked 94.

In 2009, Duke was ranked 52; FIU 90.

In 2010, Duke was ranked 71; FIU was ranked 96.

In 2011, Duke was ranked 60; FIU 97.

So far in 2012, Duke is ranked 65; FIU 99.

Were I Duke's coaching staff, I would feel pressure going into this game. This is because FIU is a team which by most objective measures has less talent than Duke's. And, that is even though Duke's recruiting has not been what it might have been, which is a whole other discussion.

FDA: I am impressed with your diligence, and I only have one quibble. I wouldn't call ratings of recruits to be "objective," given the judgmental methods used and the enormity of the task of comparing players from around the country in isolated conferences who have nothing equivalent to AAU basketball as a common measuring stick. I do believe, however, that they are "independent" measures, produced by neutral parties.

Anyway, "Go Duke!"

sagegrouse
'Former Duke Card Shark'

OZZIE4DUKE
10-01-2011, 01:01 PM
I'll be tweeting live from the game tonight for those interested. Anyone else going to be in South Florida tonight?

Coach Cut has emphasized improving Duke's team speed through conditioning and recruiting. Tonight will be a good litmus test against a quick FIU team. Can the 4-2-5 keep up with the spread offense and blazing speed of T.Y. Hilton? Will Duke's receivers and backs be able to break open some plays? The Blue Devils should be able to be the more physical team tonight, which may disrupt FIU. Protecting Sean Renfree against an aggressive pass rush will be key tonight.
I'll be there, sitting in the players' ticket section, wearing my 9F jersey. Come by and say hi! I'll be tailgating with them before the game too! :cool:

loldevilz
10-01-2011, 01:23 PM
It sounds like Desmond Scott will be back. Is anybody else worried that this means much fewer touches for Juwan Thompson? Juwan has really turned into an outstanding back, and I think he needs to be the primary back to win.

pbc2
10-01-2011, 01:33 PM
It sounds like Desmond Scott will be back. Is anybody else worried that this means much fewer touches for Juwan Thompson? Juwan has really turned into an outstanding back, and I think he needs to be the primary back to win.

Des averaged over 7 yards per carry before his injury and led the team in rushing his first two seasons. Scott and Thompson were set to split carries heading into this season. His return can only be a good thing. RBs take a beating over the course of a game/season. Having two good ones is a good problem to have.

I will try to find you Ozzie!

duke blue brewcrew
10-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Duke's best chance of a balanced attack and winning games consistently moving forward with the '11 schedule is to have a triple threat running attack of Scott, Snead and Thompson. The Blue Devils have a murders row of ACC contests to close the season, and will need all the weapons they possess to have a shot at bowl eligibility when all is said and done.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Duke's best chance of a balanced attack and winning games consistently moving forward with the '11 schedule is to have a triple threat running attack of Scott, Snead and Thompson. The Blue Devils have a murders row of ACC contests to close the season, and will need all the weapons they possess to have a shot at bowl eligibility when all is said and done.
Imagine an offense filled with such capable runners in addition to the outstanding receivers we've got.........

OldPhiKap
10-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Imagine an offense filled with such capable runners in addition to the outstanding receivers we've got.........

. . . . and a defense that's looking pretty good too!

Greg_Newton
10-01-2011, 03:00 PM
We'll see... Tulane and BC are getting blown out by Army and Wake right now. I'm knocking on wood for all of the previous comments! ;)

ETA: BC making a game of it now, at least.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-01-2011, 03:03 PM
We'll see... Tulane and BC are getting blown out by Army and Wake right now. I'm knocking on wood for all of the previous comments! ;)
Every team changes from one week to the next as the season progresses. Some get better; some don't. :eek:

OldPhiKap
10-01-2011, 03:17 PM
We knocked Tulane around pretty well ourselves.

Wake is 3/3 in the red zone -- if we had done that (as we're starting to do) we would have had a nice lead at the half of our game at BC.

But, yeah, I hear you.

duke blue brewcrew
10-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love ESPN3, but it's so nice to be able to watch a televised Duke football game...LETS GO DUKE!

davekay1971
10-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Hmm, announcer just said that FIU is going to bring pressure all game on Renfree. If that's true, Renfree has the opportunity to carve them up with our multiple receivers and backs and the quick outs and screens we employ.

davekay1971
10-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Red zone time. Let's see some improvement!

duke blue brewcrew
10-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Loved the time of possession and long drive, but I wish we could have stuck it in the endzone! Nice to see Snyderwine build his confidence with a made FG though. LETS GO DUKE!

davekay1971
10-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Wow. How do you let THAT GUY get behind you?

duke blue brewcrew
10-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Wow. How do you let THAT GUY get behind you?

Trusted senior, Matt Daniels bites on the double move...that hurt! On a positive note, it's nice to see Desmond back in the rotation getting some PT on the very next possession!

El_Diablo
10-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Great response by the Duke offense!

davekay1971
10-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Yeah, on the replay I saw it was a beautifully executed fake. Maybe a bad bite by Daniels, but a nifty move by Hilton all the same.

Nice answer by Duke. Very nice.

duke blue brewcrew
10-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Duke hasn't been getting much of it so far

davekay1971
10-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Duke hasn't been getting much of it so far

Just thinking how much we're missing Anunike...

grossbus
10-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Our D is getting shredded.

El_Diablo
10-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Wow. Next defensive stop wins?

davekay1971
10-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Now their d is getting shredded.

Renfree will be playing on Sundays.

grossbus
10-01-2011, 07:43 PM
On the other hand, the O is kicking booty.

duke blue brewcrew
10-01-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't know what the over was on this game, but it's looking like a safe bet right now! It's a track meet with not much D on either side.

duke blue brewcrew
10-01-2011, 07:48 PM

Those are looking few and far between in this game so far

davekay1971
10-01-2011, 07:53 PM

We win!

-bdbd
10-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Anybody have a good link for following this game? Game tracker, etc??

El_Diablo
10-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Anybody have a good link for following this game? Game tracker, etc??

http://www.thertv.eu/?p=719

duke blue brewcrew
10-01-2011, 08:40 PM
We finally saw some D from both teams in the 2Q! All in all, not a bad first half by Duke. I would be nice to have seen their final drive turn out better than it did. Duke with a lead at halftime would have been a huge confidence booster coming out for the third. I'd like to see some more production out of the run game and win the time of possession in the 2nd half. That combined with some defensive stops gives the Blue Devils a strong chance to win this game.

Greg_Newton
10-01-2011, 08:52 PM
This is one of the few times that we'll be bigger than but much slower than the opponent on defense. We need to figure out a way to make that work to our advantage, because they keep getting their playmakers isolated in the open field, where we can't stop them.

It's also concerning that Renfree is 2 for his last 8, or something. IMO, we're either going to have to get the running game going somehow and eat up clock, make some major defensive adjustments, or force a big TO or two if we want to pull this out.

grossbus
10-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Low snaps are hurting us.

grossbus
10-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Our D starts to play well, but first penalties of the game keep their drive alive. Cripes!

6th Man
10-01-2011, 09:32 PM
That roughing the passer on 3rd down was a killer. The margin for error is so small...FIU has had the ball forever on this drive.

Greg_Newton
10-01-2011, 09:35 PM
That roughing the passer on 3rd down was a killer. The margin for error is so small...FIU has had the ball forever on this drive.

Can't really complain too much though, because we've certainly had the overall edge WRT penalties tonight. Our O-line and Renfree desperately need to pick it back up here.

grossbus
10-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Three and out at this juncture is a killer.

And then we succumb to trickeration.

And more bad tackling. Ugh.

Greg_Newton
10-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Wow.

That may have been the worst "tackle" I've ever seen right there from Austin Gamble. Can we even keep this respectable?

grossbus
10-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Wrap Up!

davekay1971
10-01-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm going to have nightmares about 3rd and long tonight.

davekay1971
10-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Surprising score coming out of Blacksburg. Clemson takes down Auburn, FSU, and Va Tech on back to back to back weekends.

fitimi1
10-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Can anyone tell me why that was not a safety?

davekay1971
10-01-2011, 10:11 PM
YES!

grossbus
10-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Nice!

Followed by

Nice!

PDDuke85
10-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Good things happen with a pass rush

grossbus
10-01-2011, 10:27 PM
What a great call!

Nice win.

OldPhiKap
10-01-2011, 10:27 PM
HELL, YA!!!

Great call on the reverse!!!

Greg_Newton
10-01-2011, 10:28 PM
IMO, we're either going to have to...force a big TO or two if we want to pull this out.

WOOOOOOOOHWOWOWOWOWHOWOHWOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

STill can't believe we actually won this!

HUUUUGE TO by Mr. D-O though, saved the game for us.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-01-2011, 10:28 PM
There's a lesson to be learned from this game: Never give up!

davekay1971
10-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Woo hoo! Come from behind victory on the road against a pretty decent opponent! That was impressive.

duke blue brewcrew
10-01-2011, 10:29 PM
DUKE WINS!!! Great comeback in the 4th Qtr by the Blue Devils. They made some big plays late and now Duke is on a 3 game win streak heading into the remainder of conference play! Now, where can they find three more wins in the remainder of this schedule?

PDDuke85
10-01-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm observing signs that this group doesn't believe they're really Duke!

loran16
10-01-2011, 10:30 PM
HELL, YA!!!

Great call on the reverse!!!

Twas an End Around, not a reverse (The team faked that the ball was going the other direction, but in a real reverse the ball DOES go the other direction before a handoff has the ball go the other way)

OldPhiKap
10-01-2011, 10:32 PM
There's a lesson to be learned from this game: Never give up!

DiBD, when we scored to cut the deficit to three in the fourth quarter, I knew we were going to win this game. That is something I am familiar with in hoops -- down five with a few minutes, we'll still pull it out -- but that's the first time in Duke football I've just known we'd do it in YEARS. Great things are happening!!!

OldPhiKap
10-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Twas an End Around, not a reverse (The team faked that the ball was going the other direction, but in a real reverse the ball DOES go the other direction before a handoff has the ball go the other way)

True. I was thinking reverse of field, and @#$@# glad we got the first!!!!!

6th Man
10-01-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm so proud of our guys! That was a big win against a very quick team.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-01-2011, 10:35 PM
DiBD, when we scored to cut the deficit to three in the fourth quarter, I knew we were going to win this game. That is something I am familiar with in hoops -- down five with a few minutes, we'll still pull it out -- but that's the first time in Duke football I've just known we'd do it in YEARS. Great things are happening!!!
It's been like watching plate tectonics in action, but the tide is turning! There may be a few seats left on the band wagon.

peloton
10-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Way to go, Blue Devils!! A great win for our program...kudos to the defense on that last FIU drive to force the fumble! Our running game was not there tonight and that almost cost us but almost doesn't count. Congrats to the whole team on a gutsy effort, down by 10, and still manage to pull it out. We are Duke!

Poincaré
10-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Over .500 baby!!

CDu
10-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Great win! FIU is perhaps a step up from BC, so to get the win on the road is nice.

The schedule gets a lot tougher the rest of the way. Hopefully we can pick up a couple more wins.

Progress. I like it.

throatybeard
10-01-2011, 10:44 PM

ETA: BC making a game of it now, at least.

Hey, look. Just because Boston College has somehow managed to lose at home to both Duke and Wake Forest, that doesn't mean the Associated Press hasn't found a season highlight for them (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312740103):

One of the biggest highlights of the first half for Boston College's fans was an open-field run by a squirrel that was shown on the video screens running from about midfield into the end zone while play was going on and the crowd -- mostly the student section -- was cheering and finally roared when it crossed the goal line.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-01-2011, 10:45 PM
There's time to get your tickets for the Florida State game on October 15. (See goduke.com.) Kickoff time will be announced in a few days so you can make your travel plans to be in Wallace Wade to support our team.:cool:

WakeDevil
10-01-2011, 10:47 PM
I believe it was not a safety because the momentum of the kick took him into the end zone.

OldPhiKap
10-01-2011, 10:50 PM
It's been like watching plate tectonics in action, but the tide is turning! There may be a few seats left on the band wagon.

Agreed, and you know I'm already there!

sagegrouse
10-01-2011, 10:51 PM
sagegrouse
'I'd be happy with a 20-19 victory'

I am very happy with a 31-27 win.

sagegrouse

buddy
10-01-2011, 10:56 PM
This is a good win. We didn't always play as well as we could, but we came back from 10 down in the 4th quarter. Winning is a learned trait. Not so long ago, down 10 in the 4th would have meant curtains. Winning this kind of game (and BC) may help instill a winning mentality. Three down, three to go.

Greg_Newton
10-01-2011, 10:56 PM

Really? I was 100% certain we were going to lose until 1:30 left in the game. :cool:

We got outgained 591 to 386... I'm still don't fully believe that we left the stadium with more points than FIU! Huge props to the guys for stepping up and making big plays when they needed to. When was the last time we beat a team that talented, on the road, with our B-game?

ETA:

Wow.

That may have been the worst "tackle" I've ever seen right there from Austin Gamble. Can we even keep this respectable?

^^^Ban this guy!!!

Son of Jarhead
10-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Nice comeback for a road win. Proud of you guys!

The schedule here on out is tough, but if we keep fighting like this, we can win some for sure. GO DUKE!!!!

devildeac
10-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Really? I was 100% certain we were going to lose until 1:30 left in the game. :cool:

We got outgained 591 to 386... I'm still don't fully believe that we left the stadium with more points than FIU! Huge props to the guys for stepping up and making big plays when they needed to. When was the last time we beat a team that talented, on the road, with our B-game?

ETA:

^^^Ban this guy!!!

Amazing stat that we got outgained by 200+ yds, only gave up 27 points and still won the game. Two huge plays in the 4th quarter with the "fumble" (surprised that was not reviewed) and the stop from about the 11 on 4th and 10. Bending but not breaking on the defensive side of the ball. I wouldn't ban this guy as I thought the above-mentioned "tackle" was also dreadful.

OldPhiKap
10-01-2011, 11:11 PM
^^^Ban this guy!!!

LOL.

That missed tackle/shove was pretty bad. But I am getting to the point where, if it is close in the fourth quarter, I expect us to take the advantage instead of shrinking like the last few decades. Can't explain it -- just think we've turned the corner.

We have a crazy ugly schedule coming up -- still realistic about that -- but we've got to button down and find three or more wins. Just gotta do it.

GO DEVILS!!

OldSchool
10-02-2011, 12:45 AM
To me, the most important stat for Duke was 0 turnovers.

That's pretty impressive in such a wide open game, especially when playing from behind.

Sometimes people feel they have to win the game by themselves or all in one play by trying to fit a pass in a tough spot or a running back exposing the ball trying to break a tackle or stretching for an extra yard.

Of course, there is always an element of luck involved in turnovers.

But I think it shows discipline and the faith players have in the team and the game plan, that if they if play within themselves and everyone focuses on their role that Duke can win.

loran16
10-02-2011, 01:08 AM
One thing to take from this win guys: The Defense is still just as poor as before. Yes it had a big moment - the defense is able to take advantage of big opponent offense missteps and has occasional big overperforming moments of its own.

But it simply gives up too much yardage - and good opponents have less lapses for a weak D to take advantage of. And the offense's inability to run (an offensive line problem), when combined with Cut's insistence on calling the run somewhat frequently, will prevent it from winning shootouts with actually good teams.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great win to have. But there's a real worry here for this season and the future. The final FIU drive shows our problem quite clearly - up until the key 4 and out, FIU multiple times had receivers wide open for passes in short distances, who then easily got first downs. Why? Because our corners were playing so far back that we were giving up the first down so as to not give up a big play. If this D's choices against a passing D are "give up first down" or "Give up big play"? It's a big problem.

PaIronDuke
10-02-2011, 01:22 AM
It's always easy to get carried away with emotion after a win-especially at this stage of our 'resurgence" as a respectable football program- but it looks to me, all things considered, that we're a good pass rush and respectable tackling away from being a decent 1-A football team. Injuries are healing (wish we had Moore back, a la` low snaps), special teams are a real strength, we're playing with more of an "attitude", and generally the team looks like it is close to stability and a break-out win somewhere or other on the rest of the schedule.

Just saying.........

uh_no
10-02-2011, 01:25 AM
One thing to take from this win guys: The Defense is still just as poor as before. Yes it had a big moment - the defense is able to take advantage of big opponent offense missteps and has occasional big overperforming moments of its own.

But it simply gives up too much yardage - and good opponents have less lapses for a weak D to take advantage of. And the offense's inability to run (an offensive line problem), when combined with Cut's insistence on calling the run somewhat frequently, will prevent it from winning shootouts with actually good teams.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great win to have. But there's a real worry here for this season and the future. The final FIU drive shows our problem quite clearly - up until the key 4 and out, FIU multiple times had receivers wide open for passes in short distances, who then easily got first downs. Why? Because our corners were playing so far back that we were giving up the first down so as to not give up a big play. If this D's choices against a passing D are "give up first down" or "Give up big play"? It's a big problem.

As much as it pains, they put up 500+ yards, and that can't stand. It unfortunately becomes a question of do you give up huge plays? or do you play nickel and dime and give up the short stuff? The second method turned out to be the winning play, since we kept them from scoring the touchdown because once they got close we could add those extra back back into the box.

I have no idea what the solution to that problem is, or that that problem can even be solved. What I do know is there are things we CAN fix, penalties on 3rd down in our own territory killed us twice in a row, the offense not being able to stay on the field long enough to give the defense a break. Our defense was TIRED at the end of the game, which is part of the reason we went with so many backs.

Our own passing game went downhill as the second half went on....renfree had 122 yds in teh first 10 minutes of the game, and slowed down. Credit halftime adjustments of FIU for that. That said, our offensive line gave renfree phenomenal amounts of time, and this is the second week in a row we gave up 0 sacks. I thus have to fault duke's play calling (as tired as that point is) for failing to adjust to FIU's changes on defense. there were several "balls off fingertips" which hurt too.

Don't pooh pooh this win, these guys were pretty good out there, and fired up for their homecoming game against big bad duke, and we pulled out the win. We're very banged up and just came off 5 games in 5 weeks. The bye week is HUGE for us. Expect us to be fresher 2 weeks from now.

I don't think we learned too much new from this game, other than we should probably be 4-1 right now.....whether we can win or not, I'd expect a much more "ready to play" team against FSU in 2 weeks.

Enjoy your week boys.....with 3 straight wins, you've earned it.

loldevilz
10-02-2011, 01:34 AM
I think injuries hurt the defense a bit. Duke just isn't that deep there. The loss of Anunike really hurt the pass rush. Lee Bulter's absence definitely hurt the secondary.

-bdbd
10-02-2011, 01:44 AM
Nice comeback for a road win. Proud of you guys!

The schedule here on out is tough, but if we keep fighting like this, we can win some for sure. GO DUKE!!!!

I don't get the sense a lot of folks here yet EXPECT to make a bowl game (i.e. win at least 6). At this point I'd put the over/under at a little under 6 wins. We may be favored in 2 of the remaining 7, and if you can't win 1 out of the other 5 (underdog) games, then you don't deserve to make a bowl anyway. I'll bet this team is believing, and now expecting to be playing a 13th game come late-Dec.....

Go Duke! Win em one at a time, but have the confidence to expect to win several more!! ...and to go bowling.

P.S. Can't wait to see how much better we will play after a bye week to heal up.

loran16
10-02-2011, 01:50 AM
Our own passing game went downhill as the second half went on....renfree had 122 yds in teh first 10 minutes of the game, and slowed down. Credit halftime adjustments of FIU for that. That said, our offensive line gave renfree phenomenal amounts of time, and this is the second week in a row we gave up 0 sacks. I thus have to fault duke's play calling (as tired as that point is) for failing to adjust to FIU's changes on defense. there were several "balls off fingertips" which hurt too.

Gotta disagree on the cause of this here: Renfree was VERY frequently pressured (including one play ending a drive where Renfree basically was hung out to dry when the O line couldn't handle a 3 man rush on 3rd down) - he avoided sacks by getting rid of the ball - always in smart ways (Throws that were long). The O line is okay - decent enough to generally allow Renfree to pass, but still can't provide holes to rush. Still neither FIU nor Tulane are good pass rushing teams - FSU will be different.

jafarr1
10-02-2011, 01:57 AM
Gotta disagree on the cause of this here: Renfree was VERY frequently pressured (including one play ending a drive where Renfree basically was hung out to dry when the O line couldn't handle a 3 man rush on 3rd down) - he avoided sacks by getting rid of the ball - always in smart ways (Throws that were long). The O line is okay - decent enough to generally allow Renfree to pass, but still can't provide holes to rush. Still neither FIU nor Tulane are good pass rushing teams - FSU will be different.

Um, I'm not sure where you got that FIU isn't a good pass-rushing team. FIU had 15 sacks in their first three games, and from everything I've heard, they count on their defense to pressure the opposing QB.

I agree that FSU is going to pose a problem, as their DL will likely be able to get to Renfree with a minimum of help, which means the rest of their defense will be back clogging the passing lanes like FIU did in the second half.

roywhite
10-02-2011, 06:53 AM
Congrats to Coach Cut and the team for winning a close, hard-fought game. FIU had some good personnel, but Duke made enough big plays in key spots to get the win.

Loved the 3rd down reverse to Jamison Crowder to get the 1st down and keep control of the ball late. The defense made big plays late with the sack and strip, and also by holding FIU to zero yards on 4 downs when they had 1st down on the Duke 12 prior to that final possession for Duke.

A bye week should be helpful in healing injuries.

devildeac
10-02-2011, 07:17 AM
To me, the most important stat for Duke was 0 turnovers.

That's pretty impressive in such a wide open game, especially when playing from behind.

Sometimes people feel they have to win the game by themselves or all in one play by trying to fit a pass in a tough spot or a running back exposing the ball trying to break a tackle or stretching for an extra yard.

Of course, there is always an element of luck involved in turnovers.

But I think it shows discipline and the faith players have in the team and the game plan, that if they if play within themselves and everyone focuses on their role that Duke can win.

Excellent point. And FIU only had 1 turnover and a very costly one. Usually, the game summary is the other way around.

pbc2
10-02-2011, 07:20 AM
Great win for the Blue Devils, as they pulled out a close game against a good team on the road. With all the injuries, a lot of guys stepped up to get the W, a sign of Duke's slowly improving depth.

It was a happy locker room afterwards, and here are a few player interviews from BDN: http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/10/duke-players-discuss-the-blue-devils-comeback-win-at-fiu/

mkline09
10-02-2011, 07:47 AM
It may be splitting hairs a bit but this was discussed on Twitter amongst some Duke folks and well non Duke folks, but the Blue Devils won three games in a row back in 2009. So it hasn't been that long ago. There was some talk about it having been since Goldsmith and the boys back in 1994 but Cutcliffe's second team in Durham pulled off the task. Anyway, a great win. Duke is growing up and beginning to put it together.

The defense is beat up but I don't think it is a lack of depth as it is a lack of game experience. They came up big toward the end of the game, despite giving up lots of yards through the air and ground. Great play by defensive end Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo with the sack and forced fumble. Great comeback too. Duke would have lost this game last year and most every year over the last couple decades. To turn the corner they need to win the close games in the fourth quarter and they did just that Saturday night. They showed a lot of heart, never quit (even if some of us, yours truly thought they were through). The win will be dismissed by the outsiders but we who have followed Duke football for awhile know how big this one was.

As a side note I really cherish these wins and I think if there is anything good to be found out of being so bad for so long it is truly appreciating how great a win in college football is and understanding how hard it is to come by. We all realize that and truly appreciate one win, but three is a row is just awesome. That doesn't mean I don't want them to win them all but baby steps rebuild the program.

watzone
10-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Great win for the Blue Devils, as they pulled out a close game against a good team on the road. With all the injuries, a lot of guys stepped up to get the W, a sign of Duke's slowly improving depth.

It was a happy locker room afterwards, and here are a few player interviews from BDN: http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/10/duke-players-discuss-the-blue-devils-comeback-win-at-fiu/

The guys were really excited and it is a huge program win. The schedule is tough down the stretch, but the Blue Devils win assures interest with hoops looming. Congrats to #dukegang and their win! Good videos too with no local TV stations being at the game. In fact, there were like four people there to cover Duke, so thanks for the coverage Patrick. And did I day, go Duke?

Acymetric
10-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Um, I'm not sure where you got that FIU isn't a good pass-rushing team. FIU had 15 sacks in their first three games, and from everything I've heard, they count on their defense to pressure the opposing QB.

I agree that FSU is going to pose a problem, as their DL will likely be able to get to Renfree with a minimum of help, which means the rest of their defense will be back clogging the passing lanes like FIU did in the second half.

Pretty sure I read that they haven't gotten a sack since one or two of their defenders got injured in the first half of the last game, so that may have been a factor.

CDu
10-02-2011, 10:15 AM
I don't get the sense a lot of folks here yet EXPECT to make a bowl game (i.e. win at least 6). At this point I'd put the over/under at a little under 6 wins. We may be favored in 2 of the remaining 7, and if you can't win 1 out of the other 5 (underdog) games, then you don't deserve to make a bowl anyway. I'll bet this team is believing, and now expecting to be playing a 13th game come late-Dec.....

Go Duke! Win em one at a time, but have the confidence to expect to win several more!! ...and to go bowling.

P.S. Can't wait to see how much better we will play after a bye week to heal up.

I doubt we'll be favored in 2 of the remaining 7. The schedule gets MUCH tougher. We've got FSU, Wake, Va Tech, @Miami, @UVa, Ga Tech, and @UNC. We'll probably have close lines against Wake and @UVa, but I'd expect us to be the underdog against Wake. And we'll be substantial underdogs against the rest.

To go to a bowl, we'd have to win both of the close matchups and then pull a substantial upset against FSU, Va Tech, @Miami, Ga Tech, or @UNC.

It's not impossible. But it'd take a pretty huge upset and our best performances against Wake and UVa as well. I'd still put the over/under at 5 wins. And if I were forced to bet on that line, I'd probably take the under.

To have a good shot at a bowl, we needed to be 4-1 at this point. That said, there's been definite progress. I'm excited about where we are going, and hope we can build on this.

Bob Green
10-02-2011, 10:28 AM
To have a good shot at a bowl, we needed to be 4-1 at this point. That said, there's been definite progress. I'm excited about where we are going, and hope we can build on this.

While I agree with you that we will be the underdog in at least six of our remaining seven games, I refuse to concede any game before it is played. Do not sell this team short, we were the underdog yesterday but we won, on the road, coming back from a 10 point deficit in the 4th quarter. Let's play the games one at a time and see how the season unfolds.

Papa John
10-02-2011, 10:35 AM
I doubt we'll be favored in 2 of the remaining 7. The schedule gets MUCH tougher. We've got FSU, Wake, Va Tech, @Miami, @UVa, Ga Tech, and @UNC. We'll probably have close lines against Wake and @UVa, but I'd expect us to be the underdog against Wake. And we'll be substantial underdogs against the rest.

To go to a bowl, we'd have to win both of the close matchups and then pull a substantial upset against FSU, Va Tech, @Miami, Ga Tech, or @UNC.

It's not impossible. But it'd take a pretty huge upset and our best performances against Wake and UVa as well. I'd still put the over/under at 5 wins. And if I were forced to bet on that line, I'd probably take the under.

UVa is simply not good. We should be favored in that game and should win. Wake has put together a nice season thus far, playing out of their gourds, but they are also very beatable.

Miami is also really not that good... They were just in a nail-biter at home with Bethune-Cookman yesterday. Talent-rich, yes. But absolutely no heart and no chemistry. I wouldn't write that game off for us.

FSU, GaTech, and VaTech are the class of the conference and will be big favorites. UNC will be a tough one, but you never know with rivalry matchups...

davekay1971
10-02-2011, 10:43 AM

I agree that the Richmond loss still substantially hurts our bowl chances. That's ok. It's been heartening to see the team rebound from that with the close win at BC and now the comeback win at FIU (not to mention the domination of Tulane in between). It helps that we've got Wake at home. Wake's been as big a pest as Richmond, and, if we missed a chance to exorcise some demons in the Richmond game, we've got a real chance to exorcise even bigger ones when Wake comes to Wally World. UVa looks, as most expected, improved but flawed. The UVa and Wake games are the kind Duke needs to win to deserve a bowl bid (kind of like the Richmond game, but, as John Fox would say, it is what it is and we picked a bad day to have a bad day). Where can that other win come from?

Probably not FSU. I will be cheering for us, and hoping, but FSU is going to be angry, talented, and looking to make a statement against us. But Va Tech, Miami, Ga Tech, and UNC are all winnable (though we'll rightfully be underdogs in all four). Miami has talent to spare, but Jacory Harris and gang have a tendency to trip over themselves. If Miami plays well, we'll lose, but they may help us out. Ga Tech looks tough, but Cutcliffe built the defense around team speed, and speed (plus disclipline) is the key to stopping the triple option. UNC has the best talent money can buy, but they've been anything but juggernauts (barely escaping Rutgers, having a win over UVa that was anything but dominant, and losing against their only ranked opponent to date). All three of those games are going to be tough, but they aren't impossible.

So where do I think that 6th win, that statement win Cutcliffe needs to get us to a bowl and make it clear that Duke Football is no longer a joke?

Don't laugh...Virginia Tech.

Virginia Tech is coming to Wallace Wade with a tough defense but an offense that is moving in the wrong direction. They were impressive against App St, not bad against Arkansas State, pretty dreadful against ECU, and absent against Clemson. Duke's defense, if we can heal up some, can hold it's own against Va Tech's offense. The only question is whether our offense can do anything against that stout Va Tech defense. If we can move the ball, get a couple touchdowns out of our offense, we can win that game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-02-2011, 10:53 AM
While I agree with you that we will be the underdog in at least six of our remaining seven games, I refuse to concede any game before it is played. Do not sell this team short, we were the underdog yesterday but we won, on the road, coming back from a 10 point deficit in the 4th quarter. Let's play the games one at a time and see how the season unfolds.
Your point is extremely important, Bob. Winners don't think about losing the game before it's played.

I continue to find it remarkable and disappointing that the joy of each win seems to evaporate in discussions of negative analysis.

One of the things I learned listening to the Duke Radio Network was that FIU lost every game this season in which they dominated the stats. Hola!

Coach Cutcliffe said in the post game interview that this was an important win for the program. That's worthy of celebration.

CDu
10-02-2011, 10:55 AM
UVa is simply not good. We should be favored in that game and should win. Wake has put together a nice season thus far, playing out of their gourds, but they are also very beatable.

Miami is also really not that good... They were just in a nail-biter at home with Bethune-Cookman yesterday. Talent-rich, yes. But absolutely no heart and no chemistry. I wouldn't write that game off for us.

FSU, GaTech, and VaTech are the class of the conference and will be big favorites. UNC will be a tough one, but you never know with rivalry matchups...

Miami's "nail-biter" ended up being a 45-14 win. They had a sloppy first half, but the cream rose to the top for the last 20 minutes. They are just inconsistent. They struggled for 2+ quarters against Bethune-Cookman, but they also dismantled Ohio State. The Canes are much more talented than us, and would have to work hard to help us beat them. It's not impossible, but I'd say it's very improbable.

As I said, we'll have two games in which the line is pretty close: Wake and @UVa. We could absolutely win both of those. We could also lose either of those (the Wake one is the one I'm more worried about of the two, as we'll likely be the underdog in that one). To be bowl bound, we'll have to win both of those (i.e., no off-days) and then also pull a substantial upset.

CDu
10-02-2011, 10:59 AM

I don't disagree at all. I haven't conceded any game (nor do I think it matters even if I did, since I won't be on the field). I'm just trying to make the expectations clear.

This was the easy part of our schedule. The sledding (aside from maybe UVa) gets much tougher moving forward.

I'm very very pleased with the success the last three weeks, and I'm loving where the program seems to be headed. That doesn't mean I need to be unrealistic, though.

Papa John
10-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Miami's "nail-biter" ended up being a 45-14 win. They had a sloppy first half, but the cream rose to the top for the last 20 minutes. They are just inconsistent. They struggled for 2+ quarters against Bethune-Cookman, but they also dismantled Ohio State. The Canes are much more talented than us, and would have to work hard to help us beat them. It's not impossible, but I'd say it's very improbable.

As I said, we'll have two games in which the line is pretty close: Wake and @UVa. We could absolutely win both of those. We could also lose either of those (the Wake one is the one I'm more worried about of the two, as we'll likely be the underdog in that one). To be bowl bound, we'll have to win both of those (i.e., no off-days) and then also pull a substantial upset.

Yes, a nail-biter. Bethune had no business leading Miami after a quarter, being only down by a TD at the half, and remaining in spitting distance after 3 quarters. If you watched the game, you could see the looks of concern, frustration, and baffled wonder on Miami fan faces all the way through that 3rd quarter... And, yes, you could literally see some of them biting their nails.

The Ohio State win is looking less impressive each week, particularly given the loss to a Maryland team that appears just as bipolar as Miami. The K-State loss isn't a particularly good one for the 'Canes either. So, given that reality, to be in a tight game with Bethune-"cupcake"-Cookman late in the third quarter is cause for pretty serious concern if you're a Miami fan. This is not a very good team, despite the talent. Duke had a chance to beat these guys last year. When the Devils head to Miami, it won't be Bethune-Cookman coming to call...

Aside from that, and the fact that I don't consider UNC to be world-beaters among the class of the conference (thus I don't think beating them would be a "huge" upset), I imagine you and I agree on the rest. Wake and UVa are both very winnable games, but also both games we can just as easily lose. FSU, GaTech, and VaTech would be huge upsets were we to win any of those. Personally, I'll be rooting for a huge upset all three of those weekends.

Olympic Fan
10-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Aweome South Park reference for Uh No:

"1. poach teams
2. ?????
3. profit"

As for the Duke win, I'm amazed by the negativity of some posters after the team pulled out some a tough road win, coming behind in the fourth quarter. Not at all concerned about the yardage disparity -- how many teams in the last two years have we dominated somebody in the stats, but lost the game? Just off the top of my head: Georgia Tech, Maryland, Army last year ... Richmond this year. Thrilled to see them turn the tables.

Also thrilled that they have now won two close, down-to-the-wire games in the last three weeks. In both cases, they made late offensive plays to get the lead and then made the defensive plays they needed to hold the lead (true, it took some luck with the missed FG at BC, but it never comes down to that if Canty doesn't make a great stop on third down and short). The FIU win was better because (1) FIU was better than BC; (2) it didn't take the luck of a missed FG; (3) at BC we squandered our opportunities and should have won easily ... at FIU, we maximized our chances (well, we could have gotten something out of that last drive to end the first half ... but they missed on a lot more chances -- to a large degree, I think, because of our defense).

Talking about maximizing our chances -- two weeks ago, we were moaning about our troubles in the red zone. Then after going 7-for-7 (with 6 touchdowns) in the red zone against Tulane, we went 3-for-3 (two touchdowns and a FG) at FIU. That's 10 in a row (with eight touchdowns) ... THAT is pretty good. And we did it without the Boone/Connette package.

I know that Duke isn't a great team yet and maybe not a bowl team. But the key point is that it is a young team that's getting better, despite a rash of injuries. Those were two redshirt freshmen who combined for the biggest play of the game -- Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo and Anthony Young-Wiseman (how odd is it that the two late defensive heroes both have hypenated names?). That was a true freshman (Jordan Crowder) who had the key run late to clinch the win. That was an offensive line with one senior, one redshirt freshman and three sophomores that didn't allow a sack (according to Wes Chesson, FIU only managed to put Renfree on the ground ONCE all night).

Love the future of the team. I expect them to use the offweek to get better (and healthier!). I don't expect them to come back after the break and beat FSU, but I do expect them to play better. A bowl game this year remains a long shot after blowing the Richmond opportunity. But I remain VERY confident that there will be one in the near future.

OldPhiKap
10-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Your point is extremely important, Bob. Winners don't think about losing the game before it's played.

I continue to find it remarkable and disappointing that the joy of each win seems to evaporate in discussions of negative analysis.

Exactly. I don't concede any game going forward. We have the coaching staff to come up with a plan, and we need to execute it. The difference bewteen our team and some of the others is that we may have less margin of error at this point. But if we continue to score in the red zone, keep down penalties and turn-overs, and don't hang our heads when the going gets tough -- why not keep hope alive?

Stranger things have happened.

CDu
10-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes, a nail-biter. Bethune had no business leading Miami after a quarter, being only down by a TD at the half, and remaining in spitting distance after 3 quarters. If you watched the game, you could see the looks of concern, frustration, and baffled wonder on Miami fan faces all the way through that 3rd quarter... And, yes, you could literally see some of them biting their nails.

I think we have different definitions of nail biter. Miami was up 10 through 3 quarters and won by 31. It was sloppy and disappointing for 2.5 quarters, but there was very little doubt Miami would win.

The Ohio State win is looking less impressive each week, particularly given the loss to a Maryland team that appears just as bipolar as Miami. The K-State loss isn't a particularly good one for the 'Canes either. So, given that reality, to be in a tight game with Bethune-"cupcake"-Cookman late in the third quarter is cause for pretty serious concern if you're a Miami fan. This is not a very good team, despite the talent. Duke had a chance to beat these guys last year. When the Devils head to Miami, it won't be Bethune-Cookman coming to call...

The Maryland loss is irrelevant because they were missing several starters to suspension. And even still, it was a close game on the road in the opener. The KSU loss is a completely tolerable loss. The Wildcats are undefeated and just knocked of formerly undefeated Baylor and will likely be ranked this week. And the game was very close (an actual nail-biter in which Harris nearly scored the winning TD). And the OSU win is still a very impressive win. OSU has two losses - one to Miami on the road and a very close game to Michigan State (who will likely be ranked as well). They then were lazy against Bethune-Cookman for 2+ quarters before laying the hammer to them in the late-3rd and 4th quarters.

Clearly we're going to have to disagree on Miami. I would consider it a very big upset for us to beat them.

Aside from that, and the fact that I don't consider UNC to be world-beaters among the class of the conference (thus I don't think beating them would be a "huge" upset), I imagine you and I agree on the rest. Wake and UVa are both very winnable games, but also both games we can just as easily lose. FSU, GaTech, and VaTech would be huge upsets were we to win any of those. Personally, I'll be rooting for a huge upset all three of those weekends.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say UNC was a world beater or the class of the ACC. I just think they're substantially better than us, they'll be at home, and thus it'd be a pretty huge upset. Not as much of an upset as the Techs or FSU, but still a huge upset.

And I'm not sure the point of your last sentence. OF COURSE you'll be rooting for an upset in all of those weekends. Every Duke fan will be pulling for the upset.

uh_no
10-02-2011, 12:57 PM
In response to a lot of posters providing negative criticism of the negative criticism of yesterday's game:

I don't think the point is to put down the team and try to disregard what the team has accomplished (especially in what was a very exciting, very good win yesterday). I think what you see is ever increasing expectations. A question for EVERY sports team after a win should be "what can we do better?" If those questions don't get asked, one might refer to it as "satisficing," or being satisfied with something that isn't the best one can do.

As important as finding the places where the team can improve is ensuring that the team continues to do what they have been doing well. some people (myself included) are better at finding things that need to change. I don't think that should be perceived as putting the team down by any stretch of the imagination, or not enjoying an awesome win.

How can the team change how it played yesterday to have a better chance of winning its remaining games? If the answer is that there is NOTHING that can change, then you weren't paying close enough attention or are lying to yourself about the team.

I don't see many people going "this team sucks," but I do see a lot of "we need to stop doing this," or "despite the win, this area of our game needs improvement" Even if the poster doesn't have a solution (we're all armchair quarterbacks after all), I would bet coach cutcliffe is pointing out a lot of those "negative criticisms" and devising ways for the team to improve.

killerleft
10-02-2011, 01:08 PM
It may be splitting hairs a bit but this was discussed on Twitter amongst some Duke folks and well non Duke folks, but the Blue Devils won three games in a row back in 2009. So it hasn't been that long ago. There was some talk about it having been since Goldsmith and the boys back in 1994 but Cutcliffe's second team in Durham pulled off the task. Anyway, a great win. Duke is growing up and beginning to put it together.

The defense is beat up but I don't think it is a lack of depth as it is a lack of game experience. They came up big toward the end of the game, despite giving up lots of yards through the air and ground. Great play by defensive end Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo with the sack and forced fumble. Great comeback too. Duke would have lost this game last year and most every year over the last couple decades. To turn the corner they need to win the close games in the fourth quarter and they did just that Saturday night. They showed a lot of heart, never quit (even if some of us, yours truly thought they were through). The win will be dismissed by the outsiders but we who have followed Duke football for awhile know how big this one was.

As a side note I really cherish these wins and I think if there is anything good to be found out of being so bad for so long it is truly appreciating how great a win in college football is and understanding how hard it is to come by. We all realize that and truly appreciate one win, but three is a row is just awesome. That doesn't mean I don't want them to win them all but baby steps rebuild the program.

Yes! My dog left the room as I was celebrating this win, so I know I reacted with the proper "weight", as an English footballer might say. FIU, apparently, is the best win of the year so far. Speed to burn and high-quality skill players.

Great comeback, iffy defense until crunch times, but just a great win for a young team on the road. As mkline09 says, one has to remember where Duke football has been until recently to fully appreciate what this win means to the players (and true fans).

Now we have two weeks to get ready for FSU, game to be played at Wallace Wade. Our guys will understandably be sky-high for another chance to beat a ranked team this year. We should get some players healthy and be able to give the Seminoles our best shot.

As always, I ask that we see some new faces in the crowd to back these guys. Especially if you're an unbeliever and within driving distance of Durham, be here. Heck, call it the "Unbeliever's Tax", call it a visit to an historic site that once played host to the Rose Bowl. A full house would be a great way to greet our football team, a group with a three-game winning streak.

pbc2
10-02-2011, 01:10 PM
With a young team and a rebuilding program, the importance is to continue to improve and build over the course of the season. We're seeing that, and that's what's most encouraging so far.

Coach Cutcliffe definitely saw plenty of things that will be addressed in the off week, and he said so in the postgame. FIU threw a lot of looks at Duke and some of them really disrupted our offense. ACC teams will be watching that film and drawing up similar gameplans. Duke will have to improve if they hope to be competitive and continue their success into ACC play.

This was a great win for the program on the road against a good football team. I'm happy with that and hopeful that it will be a stepping stone to bigger and better things this year and beyond. Go Duke!

OZZIE4DUKE
10-02-2011, 01:41 PM
With a young team and a rebuilding program, the importance is to continue to improve and build over the course of the season. We're seeing that, and that's what's most encouraging so far.

Coach Cutcliffe definitely saw plenty of things that will be addressed in the off week, and he said so in the postgame. FIU threw a lot of looks at Duke and some of them really disrupted our offense. ACC teams will be watching that film and drawing up similar gameplans. Duke will have to improve if they hope to be competitive and continue their success into ACC play.

This was a great win for the program on the road against a good football team. I'm happy with that and hopeful that it will be a stepping stone to bigger and better things this year and beyond. Go Duke!
Nice meeting you yesterday at the Varner/Vernon tailgate!

Huge win for us! To come back after getting down 10 and doing nothing offensively for 2 quarters show the growing maturity of the team. FIU's rapid-fire no huddle offense certainly caught us by surprise and we adjusted nicely, again a sign of growth. The defense rose to the occasion and made the stops at the end, and then the call on third down, with Jameson Crowder carrying on the end around was a nice call. No one expected it. I spoke with Jameson after the game. He said he was standing on the sidelines, when the coaches put him in and called his number, and he was as surprised as anyone on the field :) Nice when a true freshman comes through in his first "spot light" moment! He's a really nice kid, too. His parents have good reason to be very proud of him. :cool:

sagegrouse
10-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Yes! My dog left the room as I was celebrating this win, so I know I reacted with the proper "weight", as an English footballer might say.

Me too. I joined Mrs. Sage Grouse upstairs somewhat late for dinner. I casually mentioned a few minutes later that "Duke won." "Yes," she said, "I think I heard something about it."

sagegrouse

sagegrouse
10-02-2011, 02:35 PM
In response to a lot of posters providing negative criticism of the negative criticism of yesterday's game:

I don't see many people going "this team sucks," but I do see a lot of "we need to stop doing this," or "despite the win, this area of our game needs improvement" Even if the poster doesn't have a solution (we're all armchair quarterbacks after all), I would bet coach cutcliffe is pointing out a lot of those "negative criticisms" and devising ways for the team to improve.

FWIW, I saw two big areas for improvement -- one corrected partially during the game and one not.

Our pass defense had gaping holes the first half, and then it appeared we made some good adjustments. I didn't think we did a particularly good job, though, of fighting for the ball. And on the long halfback pass in the 4th Q, we could have have just tackled the receiver and saved 35 yards on the play.

Also on defense, I thought that the tackling was at times poor, not only in wrapping up the player once contact was made but also -- and especially -- in going for the ball carrier with hostile intent. Many times FIU ran past our defenders without our seeming to realize it or offer resistance. It was part tentative play, part inexperience.

And I am sure the latter will get a lot of stress over the next two weeks.

I thought we did a reasonably good job of controlling the line of scrimmage on defense and offense. We need some more explosion from the backs although Thompson and Crowder had good runs. And has anyone mentioned the return of Desmond Scott as a third-down back? We'll see more of him.

sagegrouse

devildeac
10-02-2011, 02:58 PM
FWIW, I saw two big areas for improvement -- one corrected partially during the game and one not.

Our pass defense had gaping holes the first half, and then it appeared we made some good adjustments. I didn't think we did a particularly good job, though, of fighting for the ball. And on the long halfback pass in the 4th Q, we could have have just tackled the receiver and saved 35 yards on the play.

Also on defense, I thought that the tackling was at times poor, not only in wrapping up the player once contact was made but also -- and especially -- in going for the ball carrier with hostile intent. Many times FIU ran past our defenders without our seeming to realize it or offer resistance. It was part tentative play, part inexperience.

And I am sure the latter will get a lot of stress over the next two weeks.

I thought we did a reasonably good job of controlling the line of scrimmage on defense and offense. We need some more explosion from the backs although Thompson and Crowder had good runs. And has anyone mentioned the return of Desmond Scott as a third-down back? We'll see more of him.

sagegrouse

The article in the Raleigh N&O about the game pointed out that one of the adjustments we made to cover the holes was changing to a 3-2-6 alignment to put more speed on the field. Hadn't thought about that.

mkline09
10-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Yes! My dog left the room

My dogs know the sound of a sporting event and when they hear the crowd especially the one at Cameron they run out of the room cause they know its yelling time.

Bob Green
10-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Our pass defense had gaping holes the first half...

To my untrained eye, there seems to be a hole in our pass coverage, in the middle of the field, 15 to 20 yards past the line of scrimmage. I've noticed this in more than one game. It would be interesting to see a chart of where our opponent's receivers were when they caught the ball.

loldevilz
10-02-2011, 03:23 PM
A lot of it seemed to be that are defenders would be in the right spot, but they simply would lose the one-on-one battle for the ball. Every time a ball was thrown high, for instance, our guys didn't know what to do. Our secondary is definitely fast enough, and seems to have assignments down, its the little things, like better tackling, and pass disruption that need to be worked on.

uh_no
10-02-2011, 03:27 PM
A lot of it seemed to be that are defenders would be in the right spot, but they simply would lose the one-on-one battle for the ball. Every time a ball was thrown high, for instance, our guys didn't know what to do. Our secondary is definitely fast enough, and seems to have assignments down, its the little things, like better tackling, and pass disruption that need to be worked on.

There were also times where we cost ourselves by moseying up to the line. There was an instance on a punt in the second half where FIU ended up calling a time out because they had a 12th player on the absolute far side of the field. Had we just snapped the ball, it would have been a critical first down.

Acymetric
10-02-2011, 03:37 PM
There were also times where we cost ourselves by moseying up to the line. There was an instance on a punt in the second half where FIU ended up calling a time out because they had a 12th player on the absolute far side of the field. Had we just snapped the ball, it would have been a critical first down.

Yeah...the quick snap we employed occasionally in Cut's first 2 years seems to have completely disappeared. I don't recall a single play where we didn't stop and look to the sidelines after lining up this year.

OldPhiKap
10-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah...the quick snap we employed occasionally in Cut's first 2 years seems to have completely disappeared. I don't recall a single play where we didn't stop and look to the sidelines after lining up this year.

I thought we had gone away from that in the BC game to some degree, although my memory could be incorrect.

Richard Berg
10-02-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm guessing this is a youth thing. Early in Cut's tenure, we had upperclassmen (Roof recruits) at the reins. Moore's injury hurts.

mkline09
10-02-2011, 05:40 PM
I thought we had gone away from that in the BC game to some degree, although my memory could be incorrect.

No I think you are right. I think I was noticing the same thing but I think that maybe what Cut meant when he said he was taking some of that decision making off of Renfree. So perhaps it is back just to help him with play calling. Just guessing though.

Wander
10-02-2011, 06:00 PM
How has this gone unnoticed:

We have a vote in one of this week's polls!!!!

Bluedog
10-02-2011, 06:19 PM
How has this gone unnoticed:

We have a vote in one of this week's polls!!!!

Clearly, it's Spurrier giving us the point.

OldPhiKap
10-02-2011, 06:27 PM

If so, I'll take it!

uh_no
10-02-2011, 07:31 PM
If so, I'll take it!

42nd in the country! not getting left out of conference realignment for sure now!

chrishoke
10-02-2011, 07:58 PM

The ole ball coach said several years ago he was no longer going to do that. I don't think it was him.

gep
10-02-2011, 09:14 PM
The ole ball coach said several years ago he was no longer going to do that. I don't think it was him.

I thought he said he wouldn't give Duke a vote in the "pre-season" poll... before any games are played. It may still be him, since Duke has a winning record at 3-2 right now, and undefeated in conference play at 1-0. So at least now a vote is kinda legitimate...

Devilsfan
10-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Popular thought from the gallery is to move #5 from Offense to Defense since he's athletic and has the hands of your average CB. Renfre hit him on the hands at least 4 times. No complaints as a win is terrific, I just think if he catches a couple of those we don't have to come from behind. Nice to have more wins than losses. Congrats Devils!

OldPhiKap
10-02-2011, 09:51 PM
42nd in the country! not getting left out of conference realignment for sure now!

If we ended the season in the top 50, we'd be in a bowl. So anyone can say what they want, I'm not scoffing about anything.

One vote this week -- many more when we beat FSU.

Bob Green
10-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Popular thought from the gallery is to move #5 from Offense to Defense since he's athletic and has the hands of your average CB.

Isn't this a bit of an over reaction to one bad game? Brandon Braxton is the team's 3rd leading receiver with 22 receptions for 147 yards:

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/788719.pdf?ATCLID=205307517&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I'm confident he will bounce back in future games. Besides, the other options to play in the third wide receiver slot are Jamison Crowder, Tyree Watkins, Blair Holliday and Corey Gattis. Those four have combined to catch 14 passes which is eight less receptions than Braxton by himself. Crowder is going to see lots of playing time as will Watkins; however, any talk of moving Braxton to defense seems ridiculous from my perspective.

OldPhiKap
10-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Isn't this a bit of an over reaction to one bad game? Brandon Braxton is the team's 3rd leading receiver with 22 receptions for 147 yards:

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/788719.pdf?ATCLID=205307517&SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I'm confident he will bounce back in future games. Besides, the other options to play in the third wide receiver slot are Jamison Crowder, Tyree Watkins, Blair Holliday and Corey Gattis. Those four have combined to catch 14 passes which is eight less receptions than Braxton by himself. Crowder is going to see lots of playing time as will Watkins; however, any talk of moving Braxton to defense seems ridiculous from my perspective.

Agreed. Brandon won't put that last game on his highlight clips, but he has been a solid contributor. Shake it off, because we've got bigger fish coming in after the off-week.

formerdukeathlete
10-02-2011, 11:07 PM

But, focus on this game's horrible performance. With the game on the line, Braxton is open for the third down conversion play. We are behind, its the fourth quarter, Renfree puts a very catchable ball in Braxton's hands and he drops it again. Oops, with not a lot of time left and still behind we have to kick the ball. You cant look at season long statistics at that point. IMO, with a game on the line, its a matter of whether a receiver can catch a most easily catchable ball. Too many easily catchable drops before this one. As fate would have it, our defense, JDO, forced a fumble and we scored and then won the game. But, had we not, I think many folks would be calling for Braxton to play another position, contribute on special teams, and to give another player more time in the third wide receiver position. We can play with two tight ends. Stanford plays with three. Against Washington, another Stanford blowout, Andrew Luck called his own plays. Maybe that is part of the answer. Because if a receiver is stinking up the field with drops, QBs tend not to throw to them.

jafarr1
10-03-2011, 12:57 AM
So, your reaction to a single really bad game is that we disregard all previous performances, we bench the offending player and look for a new position for him mid-season, plus we strongly consider revamping our preferred sets and letting one of our players start calling the plays on the field.

You don't see that as an overreaction?

duke09hms
10-03-2011, 06:18 AM
Anyone know where we can watch this online? It was supposed to be on espn3 and I was all hyped to watch it until it got switched to espnu. Help!

Devilsfan
10-03-2011, 08:28 AM
I guess this was overreacting to one bad performance in the case of #5. Let's see how he bounces back against real defenses like Va. Tech and Ga. Tech.

loran16
10-03-2011, 10:53 AM

While I agree with you (Keep Braxton on O), I'd point out that three years ago Johnny Williams was our #2 receiver as a Frosh and 2 years ago he was #4 (only because of the emergence of the Killer Vs and Kelly).

Of course I'd point out that Williams' success on defense is highly debatable.

formerdukeathlete
10-03-2011, 11:04 AM
So, your reaction to a single really bad game is that we disregard all previous performances, we bench the offending player and look for a new position for him mid-season, plus we strongly consider revamping our preferred sets and letting one of our players start calling the plays on the field.

You don't see that as an overreaction?

While Braxton may be third in receptions, he is no. 1 in drops, and he dropped some easily catchable balls in prior games. He may be a great practice player, showing promise, but I can tell you, imo, a lot of players cant do it when the game is on the line, not gamers.

I would like to see us with more two tight end sets. Games are now going to be more difficult and more physical. Braxton is a skinny kid.

I mistyped above. Luck called a number of plays versus UCLA.

'Luck called his own plays for parts of five possessions. Two of the drives resulted in touchdowns.

"This was the game we were going to start doing it,'' Stanford coach David Shaw said. "We put the formation out there and let Andrew call the play. It's 100 percent up to him to get us in the right play."

Overall, Luck completed 23 of 27 passes for 227 yards and three touchdowns. The Cardinal improved to 4-0 and remained at No. 4 in USA TODAY's Top 25 coaches poll.'

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/10/andrew-luck-calls-own-plays-out-of-the-no-huddle-offense/1

Hey, maybe B. Braxton turns it around. He just strikes me as a ball dropper. Not remotely in the same league as Varner and Vernon. I am not a coach and have maybe zero input. But, I think it is very fair to be critical of Braxton's performance in this game and to question whether he is the right guy going forward. Certainly, if he stinks up the field against Florida State (and I do think we should be running two or even three tight end sets at times versus FSU) I would submit that the coaches will need to figure something else out.

Duvall
10-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Hey, maybe B. Braxton turns it around. He just strikes me as a ball dropper.

Well, I guess that settles it then.

jafarr1
10-03-2011, 12:09 PM
I get disappointment in Braxton's performance to date. It seems early to cut bait on a player as a sophomore, but at least I understand the frustration. What I don't get is the sudden urge to revamp our offensive sets or let Renfree start calling plays.

Yes, the games get more physical from here, but in most games, Duke's advantage centers around its speed. We're essentially conceding our biggest advantage if we move to a two tight-end set, not to mention that we give other teams more opportunity to throw different blitzing looks at our OL and stifle our running game even more. We need to force other teams to adjust to us. We're not going to do better by shifting away from speed to more physical play. That doesn't suit our personnel.

As for Renfree calling plays, you do realize that Andrew Luck, the guy who would have likely gone first in last year's draft, didn't start calling plays until midway through this year. That's how long Stanford waited to try this with the best quarterback in college football. And remember that Renfree isn't that far removed from being the guy who checked down far too often in the first two games. The strangest thing about this suggestion is that this has nothing to do with Braxton's struggles, yet you're trying to pin it all together for some reason.

Our offense moved the ball well and made a number of big plays in the past two games. If we need to try Watkins or somebody else in our line-up, fine, but why start changing everything else if Braxton is the only problem?

nocilla
10-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Highlights from theacc.com;

http://video.theacc.com/highlights/football/all/1194854016001/Duke-vs-FIU-2011-ACC-Football-Highlights/videos/

MulletMan
10-03-2011, 01:35 PM
While Braxton may be third in receptions, he is no. 1 in drops, and he dropped some easily catchable balls in prior games. He may be a great practice player, showing promise, but I can tell you, imo, a lot of players cant do it when the game is on the line, not gamers.

I would like to see us with more two tight end sets. Games are now going to be more difficult and more physical. Braxton is a skinny kid.

I mistyped above. Luck called a number of plays versus UCLA.

'Luck called his own plays for parts of five possessions. Two of the drives resulted in touchdowns.

"This was the game we were going to start doing it,'' Stanford coach David Shaw said. "We put the formation out there and let Andrew call the play. It's 100 percent up to him to get us in the right play."

Overall, Luck completed 23 of 27 passes for 227 yards and three touchdowns. The Cardinal improved to 4-0 and remained at No. 4 in USA TODAY's Top 25 coaches poll.'

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/10/andrew-luck-calls-own-plays-out-of-the-no-huddle-offense/1

Hey, maybe B. Braxton turns it around. He just strikes me as a ball dropper. Not remotely in the same league as Varner and Vernon. I am not a coach and have maybe zero input. But, I think it is very fair to be critical of Braxton's performance in this game and to question whether he is the right guy going forward. Certainly, if he stinks up the field against Florida State (and I do think we should be running two or even three tight end sets at times versus FSU) I would submit that the coaches will need to figure something else out.

My God, I love you. Let me just first ask what the hell Andrew Luck has to do with Duke? Luck is probably the single best true quarterback in the nation. What does how his coaching staff let him call plays against a terrible Washington team have to do with your ridiculous scapegoating of a sophomore wide receiver in a game that Duke won? Please explain that to me.

What I saw on Saturday (you watched the game, right? you didn't just look at the box score did you?) was a team that fought through adversity and manned up down the stretch in the fourth quarter in order to win a game against a quality opponent. We didn't give up a sack to a team that is 4th in the nation in sacks per game, we didn't have a single turnover, and we made some big plays on the ground. That's what I saw. Do you just ignore all the positives from a team that is showing progress in order to have something to complain about?

I've seen you crap on our offensive line on this board before... anything to say today about their performance? I've seen you lament the fact that we couldn't get stops at crucial points in games before... anything to say about that? No. I didn't think so. Just pick on a kid who had a bad game which appears to be a statistical anomaly.

I know... our problems will be solved if we build a stadium like Stanford's, recruit Andrew Luck, spend the money that Stanford spends and change the school colors to Cardinal and White. Got it. Anything else?

wilko
10-03-2011, 02:10 PM
I was thrilled with this game.

I wasn't overly optimistic when we went down 10pts. I had no clue the guys could do that kind of comeback late in the came. Why would I have had reason to believe other than general optimism? Duke hadn't show the ability to do that previous..

A guy missed a play. Dropped a pass. Big whoop. His teammates made enough plays to hide the gaffe and save the day for a Duke win. If the ball bounces differently we are having a very different conversation today. Guys stepped up. A frosh has some things to correct and his teammates helped carry him. Not gonna lose sleep. The young man knows better than me he has work to do.

This is the kind of game Duke would reach new high in lows; and find a creative way to shoot themselves in the foot. The height of frustration.
To have them actually pull it out and not fold like a card table... well now. I'm not used to this at all. Dare I get optimistic? Its hard not too.

formerdukeathlete
10-03-2011, 03:20 PM
My God, I love you. Let me just first ask what the hell Andrew Luck has to do with Duke? Luck is probably the single best true quarterback in the nation. What does how his coaching staff let him call plays against a terrible Washington team have to do with your ridiculous scapegoating of a sophomore wide receiver in a game that Duke won? Please explain that to me.

What I saw on Saturday (you watched the game, right? you didn't just look at the box score did you?) was a team that fought through adversity and manned up down the stretch in the fourth quarter in order to win a game against a quality opponent. We didn't give up a sack to a team that is 4th in the nation in sacks per game, we didn't have a single turnover, and we made some big plays on the ground. That's what I saw. Do you just ignore all the positives from a team that is showing progress in order to have something to complain about?

I've seen you crap on our offensive line on this board before... anything to say today about their performance? I've seen you lament the fact that we couldn't get stops at crucial points in games before... anything to say about that? No. I didn't think so. Just pick on a kid who had a bad game which appears to be a statistical anomaly.

I know... our problems will be solved if we build a stadium like Stanford's, recruit Andrew Luck, spend the money that Stanford spends and change the school colors to Cardinal and White. Got it. Anything else?

I watched the entire game. Had tickets to the game. What else? Yes, we played in an improved fashion, just about the whole team. The glaring weakness was at the receiver position, and it was just one receiver. When he dropped that super easy pass to catch on third down in the fourth quarter, when we were behind, it was like a stab right trough the heart. It was pretty crushing. That we made plays after that was a great thing to see. That we ever threw to Braxton on that play after his drops earlier in the game was almost as crushing as the drop itself. I get it, a coaching style. When a player screws up, try to get him back the ball. But when he screws up x times already, when is it time to try something else? Spurrier would have benched him earlier in the game, imo.

Jafarr, you make some valid comments about what our strengths are in terms of preferred sets on offense. And, maybe we should not deviate as much as I suggested. Maybe we try different receivers in the 3 wide receiver spot. Helfet is a 4.6 40. Our fastest wide receiver is a 4.5 40. How about using Helfet as the third wide receiver and put Danny Parker in as tight end?

CameronBornAndBred
10-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Anyone know where we can watch this online? It was supposed to be on espn3 and I was all hyped to watch it until it got switched to espnu. Help!
It requires a subscription, but it the whole game is available.
http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&utm_source=4200&utm_medium=mm&utm_campaign=condensedgamevfiu&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=4200&DB_LANG=C&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

jafarr1
10-03-2011, 04:09 PM
That we ever threw to Braxton on that play after his drops earlier in the game was almost as crushing as the drop itself. I get it, a coaching style. When a player screws up, try to get him back the ball. But when he screws up x times already, when is it time to try something else? Spurrier would have benched him earlier in the game, imo.

Jafarr, you make some valid comments about what our strengths are in terms of preferred sets on offense. And, maybe we should not deviate as much as I suggested. Maybe we try different receivers in the 3 wide receiver spot. Helfet is a 4.6 40. Our fastest wide receiver is a 4.5 40. How about using Helfet as the third wide receiver and put Danny Parker in as tight end?

Again, the zero-tolerance policy on Braxton puzzles me. The zero tolerance policy, applied in equal measure to other players, would have meant not throwing to Helfet, because he had a stinker against Tulane and has had a number of his own drops this season, including a bobble that turned into a red zone INT against BC. However, Helfet seems like one of your favorites, while Braxton is in your dog-house. It's a little inconsistent.

Trying Helfet in the slot is another version of sacrificing speed. We slide him out there on occasion to force the defense to adjust, but we don't want that to become his primary spot, because that puts DBs on him more frequently. Helfet is better in the tight end position because that forces linebacker or even defensive end coverage, a better match-up for Helfet's speed which helps us gain speed advantages at more receiver positions. He probably could play in the slot, but it's definitely not a preferred option.

The best option for Duke is to give Braxton the next two weeks to get his confidence back and see what happens. Players go through slumps. Let's not forget that Braxton is contributing in other ways and he is running good routes to get open - he just needs to catch the ball.

formerdukeathlete
10-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Again, the zero-tolerance policy on Braxton puzzles me. The zero tolerance policy, applied in equal measure to other players, would have meant not throwing to Helfet, because he had a stinker against Tulane and has had a number of his own drops this season, including a bobble that turned into a red zone INT against BC. However, Helfet seems like one of your favorites, while Braxton is in your dog-house. It's a little inconsistent.

Trying Helfet in the slot is another version of sacrificing speed. We slide him out there on occasion to force the defense to adjust, but we don't want that to become his primary spot, because that puts DBs on him more frequently. Helfet is better in the tight end position because that forces linebacker or even defensive end coverage, a better match-up for Helfet's speed which helps us gain speed advantages at more receiver positions. He probably could play in the slot, but it's definitely not a preferred option.

The best option for Duke is to give Braxton the next two weeks to get his confidence back and see what happens. Players go through slumps. Let's not forget that Braxton is contributing in other ways and he is running good routes to get open - he just needs to catch the ball.

I agree with your analysis in your paragraphs 2 and 3, but not with regard to the equivocation of drop performances by Braxton and Helfet. Many examples. Nothing close to zero tolerance. But after 3 drops of fairly easy catches in a game, do you not put someone else in there?

Helfet was what 3rd team All ACC last season?, and may be projected to be a late round NFL draft pick. Lets throw him the ball.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-03-2011, 05:49 PM

Braxton had a rough game. I had mentioned to the person sitting next to me that he had dropped three or four passes (already) before he dropped that last one discussed above. He needs to put it behind him and move on, and we need him to catch balls thrown to him. He has performed well last season and earlier this year, and we need him as a third option because of his size and speed, at least until Crowder and Holiday are ready to step into the role. BTW, Crowder is a little guy - my size, about 5'9". Fast and as quick as the blink of an eye, but not physically imposing.

jafarr1
10-03-2011, 09:31 PM
I agree with your analysis in your paragraphs 2 and 3, but not with regard to the equivocation of drop performances by Braxton and Helfet. Many examples. Nothing close to zero tolerance. But after 3 drops of fairly easy catches in a game, do you not put someone else in there?

For the game? I can see the argument. But you were talking about moving Braxton to a new position and completely changing our offense. Big difference.

As for the equivocation, I went back and looked at the ESPN play by play for our first four games. I realize it's hardly scientific, but coming into the FIU game, Braxton was listed on 2 incompletions, and Helfet on 5. Tack on five for Braxton and two for Helfet for the FIU game. 7 to 7 on the season, plus Braxton lost a fumble while Helfet bobbled a ball and turned it into an interception. That seems pretty even to me.

duke blue brewcrew
10-04-2011, 11:54 AM

I couldn't agree more with your analysis of the game and of previous posters on this board. I'm confused why people are up in arms about the team after such a big win. I can only assume a portion of the Duke football fanbase doesn't know how to handle a win streak of any kind. Being creatures of habit, they are used to losing streaks and lamenting Sun - Fri about the prior weekend's game. I would encourage everyone to get off Braxton's back. He had one bad game, but he's had some great games before this one. He's still finding his way, but is very talented and clearly has Coach Cut's trust to be out there on the field. If Cut can trust him, so can we. Not everyone is going to hit the ground running like a Conner Vernon. The kid is just a Sophmore, he's still learning the system. Once he's playing instinctively instead of thinking his way through a game, I'm certain his mistakes will taper off considerably... so relax people! On a different note: KUDOS to Tomlinson and Renfree on their players of the week honors, and to the Duke team for getting a Top 25 vote!

CameronBornAndBred
10-04-2011, 12:17 PM
and to the Duke team for getting a Top 25 vote!
If memory serves me correct, that has now happened 3 years in a row. Also, each of these votes have been followed by losses..so I'm hoping we buck the trend this time. :)

ForkFondler
10-04-2011, 12:54 PM
If memory serves me correct, that has now happened 3 years in a row. Also, each of these votes have been followed by losses..so I'm hoping we buck the trend this time. :)

I don't think Duke loses to Bye.

sagegrouse
10-04-2011, 01:00 PM
I don't think Duke loses to Bye.

That's only cuz we've improved under Cut. -- sageg.

killerleft
10-04-2011, 02:04 PM
In the sweet bye and bye-eee,
We won't be 0-fer 'gainst the Seminoles no more:p

Go Duke!!!