PDA

View Full Version : Victory Bell

Dopeshop
09-22-2011, 08:32 AM
With the UNC forfeitures in football ,does the Victory Bell get returned to Duke for some period of time ? Ozzie ?

El_Diablo
09-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Why should Duke get it? We haven't won since--what, 2003? Even counting the vacated games as having not happened, UNC has had five un-vacated victories since then. So UNC should keep it.

sagegrouse
09-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Why should Duke get it? We haven't won since--what, 2003? Even counting the vacated games as having not happened, UNC has had five un-vacated victories since then. So UNC should keep it.

I propose that UNC keep the Victory Bell, inasmuch as it was the last winner of an untainted match. However, it should be required to surrender the clapper to a neutral party, so that the Victory Bell is mute.

sagegrouse

DukieInKansas
09-22-2011, 09:59 AM
I believe it is their's until we beat them this year. Let's Go, Duke!

9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F

OZZIE4DUKE
09-22-2011, 10:06 AM
We'll get the Victory Bell back the old fashioned way, on Saturday, November 26, 2011. We'll EARRRRN it. :cool:

CDu
09-22-2011, 10:21 AM

Yup. UNC simply vacated a few wins against us - we didn't win them. Until we actually beat UNC, they get to keep the Victory Bell.

Olympic Fan
09-22-2011, 10:35 AM
I agree with the other posters -- UNC won the last untainted Duke-UNC game in 2007, so they keep the Bell. We earn it on the field.

However, I WOULD like to change the Duke record book. UNC's 2008 and 2009 victories over Duke were VACATED. That's not the same as a forfeit, so we can't claim them as wins, but we should take the losses off our records. Therefore:

Duke finished 4-7 in 2008 (not 4-8) and 5-6 in 2009 (not 5-7).

Coach Cut's record at Duke should be 13-24 (not 13-26) and his overall record should be 57-53 (not 57-55).

UNC leads the Duke-Carolina series 55-36-4 (not 57-36-4).

There is precedence for this -- remember last spring when the NCAA went all medeivel on John Calipari for trying to count vacated games toward his 600 career wins. If UNC had forfeited the games, we could claim wins ... we can't do that with vacated games, but if the penalty means anything (and not sure it means much), then we can and SHOULD take the losses off our record.

killerleft
09-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Maybe we should let 'em just keep the tainted thing and start up a "Winner's Cup" thingy with Wake Forest. The Deacs run an honorable program. Carolina does not.

UNC-lia can sandblast the bell and start up their own thingy with GT or Miami. The teams will be on equal footing integrity-wise, and I suggest the bell be named, "The Dishonor Bell'. If UNC-lia wins they can rig it up to bleat like a sheep, GT can put a wrecky horn on it, or Miami could just hope the whole thing blows over. I can't imagine they'd need a clapper on it, who'd want to clap for a bunch of cheaters, anyway?

davekay1971
09-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Given our longstanding lack of success in beating up the boys in powderpuff blue, I agree we haven't earned the Victory Bell...yet.

Given the rampant cheating that has taken place down the road, I submit that UNC hasn't earned the right to keep it.

I vote that the Victory Bell should be temporarily held, until the Duke-UNC game this year, at a neutral location.

Since Tom O'Brien has owned UNC since his arrival, and State is arguably a reasonably neutral party in the Duke-UNC rivalry, I vote that Butch Davis and John Blake, wearing feathered chicken outfits, manually push the Bell down I-40 to TO'By's office so he can hang keep it safe and unsullied for the next 2 months.

El_Diablo
09-22-2011, 11:14 AM
Given our longstanding lack of success in beating up the boys in powderpuff blue, I agree we haven't earned the Victory Bell...yet.

Given the rampant cheating that has taken place down the road, I submit that UNC hasn't earned the right to keep it.

I vote that the Victory Bell should be temporarily held, until the Duke-UNC game this year, at a neutral location.

Since Tom O'Brien has owned UNC since his arrival, and State is arguably a reasonably neutral party in the Duke-UNC rivalry, I vote that Butch Davis and John Blake, wearing feathered chicken outfits, manually push the Bell down I-40 to TO'By's office so he can hang keep it safe and unsullied for the next 2 months.

2008 and 2009 were vacated. 2010 (the most recent game) is still on the books.

ForkFondler
09-22-2011, 11:16 AM

That's my favorite idea too, let the wolfies paint it red.

hudlow
09-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Let 'em hang onto it. It's tarnished now.

In fact I'd hope that Duke would refuse to take it back....ever.

It will never mean what it once stood for because of UNC's disgraceful dishonesty.

hud

devildeac
09-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Have one of our senior prankster posters (yea, I'm speaking to you sage or grossbus) "borrow" the bell for an hour or so, paint "CHEATERS" on it and return it to their campus.

SmartDevil
09-22-2011, 01:10 PM

I think it would be more embarrassing if it were held at Conference HQ

Look more like it was forfeited or "repossessed"

hudlow
09-22-2011, 01:23 PM
I think it would be more embarrassing if it were held at Conference HQ

Look more like it was forfeited or "repossessed"

I think it is being held at conference HQ.

hud

CDu
09-22-2011, 02:18 PM
2008 and 2009 were vacated. 2010 (the most recent game) is still on the books.

Yeah, there's really not an argument that UNC shouldn't be in possession of the Victory Bell. They didn't vacate the 2010 game. So under any circumstance (even if you erroneously argue that we should have gotten the bell for the vacated wins) UNC earned the bell back with the non-vacated win last year.

uh_no
09-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Yeah, there's really not an argument that UNC shouldn't be in possession of the Victory Bell. They didn't vacate the 2010 game.

yet.

ForkFondler
09-23-2011, 05:33 AM
Yeah, there's really no an argument that UNC shouldn't be in possession of the Victory Bell. They didn't vacate the 2010 game. So under any circumstance (even if you erroneously argue that we should have gotten the bell for the vacated wins) UNC earned the bell back with the non-vacated win last year.

I have a perfectly good argument. It has been conceded (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_Bell_(Carolina%E2%80%93Duke)) that they held the bell for (at least) two years when they didn't deserve it. Therefore, they should have a two year bell possession penalty. Paint it red now.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-23-2011, 09:57 AM
I have a perfectly good argument. It has been conceded (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_Bell_(Carolina–Duke)) that they held the bell for (at least) two years when they didn't deserve it. Therefore, they should have a two year bell possession penalty. Paint it red now.
NO! It should be painted white. DUKE WHITE of course, not carolina white. :D

devildeac
09-23-2011, 11:09 AM
NO! It should be painted white. DUKE WHITE of course, not carolina white. :D

I hope we have enough Pantone 287 ready to paint it the proper shade of blue after this year's game.

In the meantime, this would be acceptable:

uNIVERSITY of
nUMEROUS
cHEATERS