PDA

View Full Version : Andre Dawkins, Dre, all day!

watzone
09-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Here is a brief read about rising Duke junior, Andre Dawkins and his play over the summer - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/09/duke-blue-devil-andre-dawkins-dre-all-day/ for those interested.

basket1544
09-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Can't wait to see Dre light it up from deep!

ACCBBallFan
09-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks, Mark.

"You can bet that other ACC teams payed close attention and they’ll certainly concentrate on trying keep him from going off on them."

Easy to say but who do they slack off of, Seth or Austin or Ryan?

The guy guarding a Plumlee cannot help beyond the 3 point line, and even if he did who guards Austin when he blows by his man?.

nmduke2001
09-21-2011, 10:19 PM
I think Dre is incredibly important for this team. If he plays well, it opens up driving lanes for Rivers and post up position for the bigs. I can't wait to see him light it up.

MCFinARL
09-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Great story! Thanks.

hq2
09-22-2011, 09:05 AM
'Dre has sort of frustrated us the last two years. He can definitely light it up, but his defense has been a problem, and I think he's had attitude issues
too. He started off strong both years, and faded in the second half. If he's really going to step up big, this will be the year. I'm still looking for him to do it, but I'm not quite sure what to expect now.

roywhite
09-22-2011, 09:36 AM
'Dre has sort of frustrated us the last two years. He can definitely light it up, but his defense has been a problem, and I think he's had attitude issues
too. He started off strong both years, and faded in the second half. If he's really going to step up big, this will be the year. I'm still looking for him to do it, but I'm not quite sure what to expect now.

That seems a little rough. It's fair to say he's not been consistent, and has dropped off at times.

Seems to me he deserves a pass for his freshman year, when he enrolled early, missed the time that many players have to get used to Duke and college life with summer school, and then lost his sister in a tragic accident.

He's been one of our best long-range shooters, probably one of the best around, and he has developed other facets of his game, too. I look for him to be an important and productive part of the team this year.

NSDukeFan
09-22-2011, 09:54 AM

'Dre hasn't frustrated me the last two years. I was very pleased with his freshman year, where he came in early, was very young, but still showed a great shooting form and touch and put up some good numbers before his family tragedy. He then hit some huge shots vs. Baylor that helped the team on the way to a national title.

He showed improvement his sophomore year, almost doubling his scoring, shooting a higher percentage, moving better without the ball and improving defensively and being a very solid contributor to another 32 win team. He was not consistent, but I don't necessarily expect that all 20 year olds will be.

He looked more impressive in the Pro-Am this year, improved on the China/Dubai trip and, as always, seems to be in excellent condition. As one of 5 upperclassman this year I expect another jump in production, playing time and offensive and defensive consistency as he continues to mature as a person and player.

I have been impressed by Andre and look forward to his continued development. I agree that there is potential for him to step up big this year, as he develops a more well-rounded game to go with his sweet shooting stroke.

hq2
09-22-2011, 11:14 AM
He showed improvement his sophomore year, almost doubling his scoring, shooting a higher percentage, moving better without the ball and improving defensively and being a very solid contributor to another 32 win team. He was not consistent, but I don't necessarily expect that all 20 year olds will be.

Yes, I think the talent is clearly there. What's needed is more consistency, and some better play away from the ball. If he can show that, he could
have a big year. I'm still an Andre believer.

NSDukeFan
09-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Yes, I think the talent is clearly there. What's needed is more consistency, and some better play away from the ball. If he can show that, he could
have a big year. I'm still an Andre believer.

I agree consistency and off the ball play are the key as Andre can certainly shoot and has been improving at taking the ball to the basket. He has also shown the ability, but maybe not the consistency, to defend well one-on-one and in Duke's team defense. He certainly could have a big year.

flyingdutchdevil
09-22-2011, 12:05 PM
I agree consistency and off the ball play are the key as Andre can certainly shoot and has been improving at taking the ball to the basket. He has also shown the ability, but maybe not the consistency, to defend well one-on-one and in Duke's team defense. He certainly could have a big year.

Could not agree more. Dre all day just needs to calm down a little, hustle on every play, and always play D. He's a starter now and it's his position to lose. I think he knows that, and he'll give it his all.

Prediction: Dre leads the team in scoring until the beginning of ACC play. Then it could be a variety of players (Kelly, Seth, Rivers, or Dre).