PDA

View Full Version : Football notes, 9-20

jimsumner
09-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Desmond Scott practiced this morning, albeit limited. They key is whether he has overnight swelling in his leg. If not, he should get more reps later in the week.

Synderwine did not practice today but Duke hopes to get him back on the field by Thursday. Weekend status TBD.

Asack and Ijjas getting most of the work. Monday also getting some work but Duke still wants to redshirt him. Cut indictated that the no-field-goal-option was very much in play.

Connette did not practice. Cut seems comfortable with Boone as the backup.

Don't look for Snead anytime soon. Still, too early for the R word.

Lots of players "dinged up." Par for the course.

Much praise for Renfree's decision-making and confidence Saturday. Cut cited pass protection and explosive plays as the major improvements against BC. Still wants more consistency. Too many long drives resulting in no points.

Official injury report out Thursday. Fingers crossed.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Jim, you're more objective than I am. I thought the BC defense hit late, low, and with intent to injure. Was that just my perception, and/or does BC have a rep for that?

Glad to hear we're still in relatively good health.

jimsumner
09-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Jim, you're more objective than I am. I thought the BC defense hit late, low, and with intent to injure. Was that just my perception, and/or does BC have a rep for that?

I believe Duke was called for nine penalties, BC three.

I did not think that was an accurate representation of the way the game was played.

I can't speak to intent. But if the officials don't call it, why would you stop?

6th Man
09-20-2011, 04:45 PM
I for one thought the officiating was a little one-sided. I continue to be amazed at how many excessive celebration penalties Duke gets for TD's when the Duke player does something very insignificant. Vernon was just pointing at the Duke fans after his first TD and got flagged. That had to be the most benign celebration I have ever seen flagged. I laugh everytime I see that penalty...for one Duke gets so few TD's...let them celebrate a little. Secondly, everytime they get flagged I see 100x worse in other games go without penalty.

Anyway...I'm scared to see how we celebrate after we get that elusive first FG this year! HA

Jim, thanks for your football notes each and every week!

OldPhiKap
09-20-2011, 06:20 PM

I did not think that was an accurate representation of the way the game was played.

I can't speak to intent. But if the officials don't call it, why would you stop?

When I'm President, you're going to be Ambassador to somewhere. Very diplomatic.

coachbob
09-20-2011, 06:39 PM

I'm with you. I thought BC was playing dirty. Not what I expected from them. Reminded me a little of the
VA Tech game a few years ago. Poor Thad.

Newton_14
09-20-2011, 09:34 PM

I will stop short of calling BC dirty, but our receivers were played extremely physical. There were numerous cases where they were gang tackled by two or three defenders, with the high hitter twisting the receivers upperbody to the ground, verses just a straight on hit and takedown. That is the reason Conner got his knee hurt. Then they did the same thing to Donovan, and low and behold when Conner came back in, they did the exact same thing and he hurt the other knee. (FYI- I may have the Killer V's crossed up there. Not sure). It's tackle football so I respect that, but I would much rather see a receiver take a hit and get driven straight into the ground verses twisted or pulled over with the feet planted, and a tackler at the bottom locked on. Our guys knee joints were tested to the fullest in that game.

Some of the hits on Sean were high and a tad late which made the roughing the QB call on us in that last drive comical.

For comparison the hits the OU defense was dishing out to FSU were brutal, but clean. Good ol fashioned physical football but clean. Have to respect that.

Reilly
09-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Cut's 9/20 press conference can be watched -- free -- on goduke.com.

Hope this link works:

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200&KEY=&SPID=1843&SPSID=22672

It's worth watching ....

formerdukeathlete
09-21-2011, 10:28 AM
I will stop short of calling BC dirty, but our receivers were played extremely physical. There were numerous cases where they were gang tackled by two or three defenders, with the high hitter twisting the receivers upperbody to the ground, verses just a straight on hit and takedown. That is the reason Conner got his knee hurt. Then they did the same thing to Donovan, and low and behold when Conner came back in, they did the exact same thing and he hurt the other knee. (FYI- I may have the Killer V's crossed up there. Not sure). It's tackle football so I respect that, but I would much rather see a receiver take a hit and get driven straight into the ground verses twisted or pulled over with the feet planted, and a tackler at the bottom locked on. Our guys knee joints were tested to the fullest in that game.

Some of the hits on Sean were high and a tad late which made the roughing the QB call on us in that last drive comical.

For comparison the hits the OU defense was dishing out to FSU were brutal, but clean. Good ol fashioned physical football but clean. Have to respect that.

Something needs to be done about the dirty play at the Conference level. And, we sure could use bigger, more physical guys as a general matter.

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Something needs to be done about the dirty play at the Conference level. And, we sure could use bigger, more physical guys as a general matter.
Cut has done a very good job of recruiting some big dudes. We may not see many of them until next year, but I have been impressed by the size he is bringing in.