PDA

View Full Version : We are gonna enjoy having Jim Boeheim around

JasonEvans
09-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Jimmy B gave a speech today in Alabama for some reason. It was covered by a local paper and a buddy of mine posted a link on his twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/jonathanganz/status/115902912718323713) feed.

Hard to read this (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/boeheim_thinks_uconn_and_possi.html) and not just adore Boeheim. The one-liners are coming fast and furious.

"If conference commissioners were the founding fathers of this country, we would have Guatemala, Uruguay and Argentina in the United States."

"It's interesting because 30 years ago schools made X amount of money. Twenty years ago, they made 2X. Ten years ago, they made 4X. Now they're going to make 6X. And you know what? They're going to end up breaking even, just like they did 30 years ago."

And finally... on the ACC tourney possibly being held in Madison Square Garden -- "It's a great place for a tournament. Where would you want to go to to a tournament for five days? Let's see: Greensboro, North Carolina, or New York City? Jeez. Let me think about that one and get back to you."

--Jason "read the article (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/boeheim_thinks_uconn_and_possi.html), because the last line is even better than all the ones I quoted above" Evans

OldPhiKap
09-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Very innovative coach who has rounded out into a very entertaining guy. Not a fan of the zone but look forward to seeing them in Cameron!!

ForkFondler
09-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Jimmy B gave a speech today in Alabama for some reason. It was covered by a local paper and a buddy of mine posted a link on his twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/jonathanganz/status/115902912718323713) feed.

Hard to read this (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/boeheim_thinks_uconn_and_possi.html) and not just adore Boeheim. The one-liners are coming fast and furious.

--Jason "read the article (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/09/boeheim_thinks_uconn_and_possi.html), because the last line is even better than all the ones I quoted above" Evans

I think this is on point:

"It's not that frustrating now because we have a 17-team basketball conference. If we had a nice, 10-team league, I'd be more upset. But we don't have that anymore. We have Marquette, DePaul, TCU coming in and who knows who else coming in."

The ACC-North will strongly resemble the old Big East.

NSDukeFan
09-20-2011, 08:50 AM

I agree; great last line.

weezie
09-20-2011, 09:06 AM
I can't wait for Jim to get up close and personal with noted comedian Karl Hess.
Oy.

Highlander
09-20-2011, 09:21 AM
I can't wait for Jim to get up close and personal with noted comedian Karl Hess.
Oy.

That assumes Boeheim (and possibly Calhoun) would still be here by the time their schools joins the conference. As I understand it, there is reportedly a 2 year waiting period before they can leave. Boeheim's currently 66 years old. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him step down as Syracuse moved into the new conference, ending his career where he started it and letting someone else take the Orange on this new adventure. FWIW, Jim Calhoun is currently 69. Kind of amazed he didn't go out on top last year when UConn won it all, but wouldn't be surprised if he passed on the opportunity to play Krzyzewski and Williams twice a year in his early 70s.

Coach K is 64, and Roy Williams is 61. That's a lot of legendary coaches who will likely retire in the next 10 years.

sagegrouse
09-20-2011, 09:48 AM
That assumes Boeheim (and possibly Calhoun) would still be here by the time their schools joins the conference. As I understand it, there is reportedly a 2 year waiting period before they can leave. Boeheim's currently 66 years old. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him step down as Syracuse moved into the new conference, ending his career where he started it and letting someone else take the Orange on this new adventure. FWIW, Jim Calhoun is currently 69. Kind of amazed he didn't go out on top last year when UConn won it all, but wouldn't be surprised if he passed on the opportunity to play Krzyzewski and Williams twice a year in his early 70s.

Coach K is 64, and Roy Williams is 61. That's a lot of legendary coaches who will likely retire in the next 10 years.

I think there has been a change of sea state surrounding the highest level college coaches. Boy, is there a lot of money at play! It may be that retirement does not look quite as alluring when the top coaches make well north of $2 million per year. K is at more than twice that, plus there are all the businesses associated with K Inc.

I know Knight retired (which gave a HC opportunity to son Pat), but if he had survived at Indiana, he might still be coaching there.

Anyway, we will have an empirical test with the decisions of Calhoun and Boeheim in the next couple of years.

sagegrouse

davekay1971
09-20-2011, 09:49 AM
That's a lot of legendary coaches who will likely retire in the next 10 years.

And, given that the ACC's recent lack of quality depth comes down to coaching, coaching, coaching, one can only hope that proven young coaches like Dixon maintain their quality, that the unproven but promising new ACC coaches continue their strong work, and that Duke and Syracuse find good replacements when their legends retire. UNC, of course, should prompty re-hire Matty Doh. Between the conference realignment and the age of some of the best coaching is the current and future ACC, it's hard to guess what the conference will look like, and what the quality of basketball will be, 5-10 years from now.

tommy
09-20-2011, 02:41 PM

Indeed. It's apparently actually a 27 month waiting period, and the Big East commish is talking like he intends to hold Syracuse and Pitt to it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/sports/ncaafootball/commissioner-says-big-east-wont-be-undermined-by-defections.html?_r=2&ref=ncaafootball

OrangeDevil
09-20-2011, 11:01 PM
It's kinda sad. Boeheim is approaching the end of his career and it will be in the ACC not the Big East where he established his place in basketball history. Instead of lamenting the Big East rivaries he should be relishing the opportunity to face off against Duke and UNC. Old rivalries (Georgetown and Nova) can continue if the Cuse desires, but new rivaries can be born. Welcome to the new reality (and opportunity) Jim!

gep
09-21-2011, 12:17 AM
As noted, Boeheim is 66 and approaching his career end. Maybe this move to the ACC in 27 months will give him the "straw" and reason to retire after the Big East affiliation ends.

Acymetric
09-21-2011, 04:08 AM
I imagine Syracuse will do everything it can to keep its HoF coach around as it makes the transition, and I would guess he in some ways looks forward to the new challenge. He won't coach forever (just like our own Coach K) but I don't think moving to the ACC is going to be his reason for packing it in. His comments don't make him sound like a coach on the verge of retirement to me.

roywhite
09-21-2011, 07:34 AM
Interesting reaction on the Greensboro/NYC comment from Boeheim:

My wife, a native North Carolinian, likes Duke, but is generally not much of a sports fan. She heard Boeheim's comment about his peferred location for tournament play, and took great offense to it. Said something to the effect that he had terrible manners, that he shouldn't be asked to join something and then start putting down the new place, and she hoped he lost every game, even to UNC. Her reaction was strong and visceral. Makes me suspect that Boeheim's remarks rubbed others the wrong way, too.

brandon990
09-21-2011, 08:49 AM
This is the ACC Tourney. You won't be in Greensboro for five days. Just pack for 2.

SilkyJ
09-21-2011, 08:57 AM

What I'd pay to have a beer with K and Boeheim...

Is K still doing his radio show? Jimmy would make a great guest there.

sagegrouse
09-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Here's a lengthy interview (http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2011/09/jim_boeheim_blames_syracuses_d.html)with Boeheim that clarifies a number of points, including the Gbo side remark.

“That’s the problem with the Big East right now,’’ Boeheim said. “Dave Gavitt and Mike Tranghese are not running the Big East right now. That comment. He should be working on strengthening the Big East. What if two or three other teams leave this week? Then what is he going to do? I think if that happens he should either get the non-football schools in a league or else he’s got to get five or six football schools in a hurry.

“It would be silly to play another year in the Big East.’’

"... With the state the Big East has been in and the fact that certain schools and Notre Dame’s one of them that voted down the football contract, we’d probably be in the Big East right now if it wasn’t for that. But now they’re crying about us leaving. They shouldn’t have even voted on the football contract because they’re not even in it.’’

What can fans look forward to with the ACC?

“The thing that’s important and I read all the articles and I can’t believe nobody wrote that this was a good move in your paper. All the letters were negative. And what they’re saying is ‘Are we going to see great basketball teams’ games?’ What difference does it matter what the uniform says? If we play eight, 10, 12 great home games, what difference does it matter? If it’s great basketball, we’re playing great games. What matters if it’s Providence or it’s Wake Forest? Or Georgetown or Duke? As long as they’re going to see great basketball.
“We’re not going to a bad league. It has the best record over the last 30 years of any league in the country. Period. Now right now, I think the Big East is a little better. But over 30 years? They’ve got the most championships, the most Final Four appearances, etc., etc. So we’re going to a great league and it’s going to be great basketball. Period. It’s obviously a very stable league.’’

You’re not going to be Man of the Year in Greensboro.

“Greensboro’s mad at me because I said I’d rather go to New York City for a week. Why would they be mad at me? Are they that parocial. I didn’t say Greensboro wasn’t a nice place. It’s a very nice place. But if I had a choice for a week where I would go and ask somebody in North Carolina where they rather go for a week – Greensboro or New York City? I’ve got nothing against Greensboro as a city.’’

sagegrouse

JasonEvans
09-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Interesting reaction on the Greensboro/NYC comment from Boeheim:

My wife, a native North Carolinian, likes Duke, but is generally not much of a sports fan. She heard Boeheim's comment about his peferred location for tournament play, and took great offense to it. Said something to the effect that he had terrible manners, that he shouldn't be asked to join something and then start putting down the new place, and she hoped he lost every game, even to UNC. Her reaction was strong and visceral. Makes me suspect that Boeheim's remarks rubbed others the wrong way, too.

Are you kidding me?!?!

I live in Atlanta. I love my city. It is a big city, easily the biggest in the region, with more going on than any city for hundreds of miles.

But if someone asked me whether it would be more fun to have a tournament here in Atlanta versus in NY at MSG, it is a no-brainer. New York is the "happening" capital of the Eastern half of the United States. The notion that Jim Boeheim was insulting Greensboro to say that it would be more fun and exciting to hold the ACC tourney in NYC versus Greensboro is just ludicrous!

How many Broadway shows are in Greensboro?
How many Empire State Buildings?
How many nationally broadcast TV shows tape their program in Greensboro?
How many Statue or Liberties or how many Ellis Islands are there in Greensboro?
Does Greensboro have a Times Square?
How many world class museums and concert halls does Greensboro have?

I mean, this is a joke, right?

Look, I like Greensboro. I've been there for the ACC Tourney and a few other times and it is a perfectly nice city. The city does a fine job of holding the ACC Tourney and other sporting events. But it ain't New York. The Coliseum ain't MSG! Once you get done starting at the 94x50 hardwoods, the difference in what you can do in Greensboro and what you can do in New York is almost incalculable.

As an aside, I know some people do not like the hustle and bustle of New York. Some people feel the city is dangerous and dirty and expensive. I used to live there and one reason I moved away was I could not fathom raising children in the city. But, I think the vast majority of us would agree that it is an interesting city to visit with tons of stuff to do.

--Jason "again, not insulting Greensboro here, just being objective about this... as Jim B was" Evans

roywhite
09-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Are you kidding me?!?!

I live in Atlanta. I love my city. It is a big city, easily the biggest in the region, with more going on than any city for hundreds of miles.

But if someone asked me whether it would be more fun to have a tournament here in Atlanta versus in NY at MSG, it is a no-brainer. New York is the "happening" capital of the Eastern half of the United States. The notion that Jim Boeheim was insulting Greensboro to say that it would be more fun and exciting to hold the ACC tourney in NYC versus Greensboro is just ludicrous!

Look, I like Greensboro. I've been there for the ACC Tourney and a few other times and it is a perfectly nice city. The city does a fine job of holding the ACC Tourney and other sporting events. But it ain't New York. The Coliseum ain't MSG! Once you get done starting at the 94x50 hardwoods, the difference in what you can do in Greensboro and what you can do in New York is almost incalculable.

As an aside, I know some people do not like the hustle and bustle of New York. Some people feel the city is dangerous and dirty and expensive. I used to live there and one reason I moved away was I could not fathom raising children in the city. But, I think the vast majority of us would agree that it is an interesting city to visit with tons of stuff to do.

--Jason "again, not insulting Greensboro here, just being objective about this... as Jim B was" Evans

No, not a joke, Jason.

I certainly understand what you're saying.

I'm saying that some average folks in North Carolina found his comments ungracious and insulting.

I've learned not to ignore my wife's observations. ;)

devilish
09-21-2011, 10:47 AM
What makes Greensboro such a special place for the ACC Tournament is not the city itself, but the fact that the tourney is "the only game in town." For four days, everywhere you go, everyone you meet, every waitress or bartender who serves you, it's all about basketball. This is not the case anywhere else, not in Charlotte, not in Atlanta, not in DC, and certainly not in Tampa. I 'm too young to remember, but I imagine Raleigh had a similar "feel" for tourney weekend when it hosted. Of course, playing games on Thursday has hurt a little of the Friday excitement of the tournament, but that is a topic for a different thread, perhaps.

summerwind03
09-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Yes, Devilish hits the nail on the head. And when you go to the ACC Tournament, you don't have time or energy to take advantage of many of the other opportunities the city offers (if you go to all/most of the games).

roywhite
09-21-2011, 11:10 AM
What makes Greensboro such a special place for the ACC Tournament is not the city itself, but the fact that the tourney is "the only game in town." For four days, everywhere you go, everyone you meet, every waitress or bartender who serves you, it's all about basketball. This is not the case anywhere else, not in Charlotte, not in Atlanta, not in DC, and certainly not in Tampa. I 'm too young to remember, but I imagine Raleigh had a similar "feel" for tourney weekend when it hosted. Of course, playing games on Thursday has hurt a little of the Friday excitement of the tournament, but that is a topic for a different thread, perhaps.

Good point. Some cities or towns become totally identified with major events after hosting them for years:

Williamsport, PA for the Little League World Series
Omaha, Nebraska for the College baseball World Series
Augusta, GA for Master's Golf

Greensboro has done so many ACC Tournaments, and so embraced the event that it has nearly reached the status of those other locales, which certainly wouldn't be confused with NYC for bright lights and varied culture.
It's not a status to take lightly.

CharlestonDevil
09-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Regardless of sarcasm or attempt at humor, I think this illustrates perfectly the difference between ACC basketball and the rest of the country. Sure, on an average day New York tops Greensboro easily, but what Boeheim and I am sure others up North now associated with the ACC don't realize, is that "down here" there could be no better venue. It is the perfect location to host a tournament with such great rivalries, villains, and heroes. You can't just have ACC teams play anywhere and it still mean something. Greensboro is the heart of ACC country and if I had it my way, they'd never move it anywhere else. Jimmy B can stay in New York.

Personal rant aside, let me just say.... things are going to heat up between this guy an Ol' Roy REAL quick. Can't you just see it now? Roy's dagum country boy "well shucks we did everything we could and still lost it's the players fault not mine" attitude, and Jimmy B's apparent "I'm from the Big City" and I know better than these country bumpkins" attitude. You heard it here first, Roy and Jimmy are going to be new best enemies.

cato
09-21-2011, 12:07 PM

Zing! It takes someone like Boeheim to pull that off.

Starter
09-21-2011, 12:39 PM
I'll chime in that Boeheim was almost certainly also alluding to the atmosphere and intensity at the Big East Tournament, which is simply awesome. And a lot of that comes from being in the Garden, much less New York City itself. The Big East is hands-down the best conference tournament. There's no comparison, no argument. And Boeheim was likely subliminally lamenting not just the removal of his involvement, but also the Big East Tournament in its current form. Don't get me wrong, I'd go to the ACC Tournament with no arm-twisting if it were in my backyard, but in actuality the Big East Tourney belongs there every single year.

The landscape of college basketball is changing, not really for the better. I'm all for progress, but the few great traditions we have to hold on to, we should probably do that. I'm not a huge "conference" guy, and the Big East has become a watered-down, bloated version of itself in recent years, but the Tournament was always incredible. I join Boeheim in mourning its demise.

Lar77
09-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Of course, Jim would rather be in NYC instead of Greensboro. MSG is almost a home court for Syracuse. It's easy to see that Greensboro is a home court for Carolina (except maybe for their NIT run two years ago:)). We were wondering who would take Sweaty's place, and we found him. I hope the conferences and the coaches work it out so we can see Syracuse and Pitt next year

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-21-2011, 02:44 PM
The anti-Boeheim sentiment reminds me of a Pace picante sauce ad from years ago, where one cowboy cannot believe that a rival hot sauce is made in NEW YORK CITY!!!

... and Youtube rocks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDj310Bjnc0&feature=related

77devil
09-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Are you kidding me?!?!

Couldn't agree more.

I love Greensboro. My mother's family is from there. I've spent a lot of time there over the years including ACC tournaments. Some of my misguided UNC cousins still live there. In fact, I'll be there tomorrow and Friday.

I don't even care for NYC except for the occasional visit, but let's be real, NYC and MSG will make for a fabulous ACC tournament. This is a win win.

I'll be with some life long G-boro residents at a board meeting the next two days and will interested to hear their reactions. Boeheim has an acerbic wit that may take some time for the gentile southerners to adjust to. :)

-jk
09-21-2011, 03:20 PM
The anti-Boeheim sentiment reminds me of a Pace picante sauce ad from years ago, where one cowboy cannot believe that a rival hot sauce is made in NEW YORK CITY!!!

... and Youtube rocks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDj310Bjnc0&feature=related

Don't forget that Texas Pete Hot Sauce is made just up the road from G'boro in Winston Salem!

-jk

airowe
09-21-2011, 03:27 PM

Jason, Congrats on the shoutout from the Wall Street Journal!

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2011/09/21/jim-boeheim-voice-of-reason/?mod=google_news_blog

LaettnerWannabe
09-21-2011, 05:22 PM
No, not a joke, Jason.

I certainly understand what you're saying.

I'm saying that some average folks in North Carolina found his comments ungracious and insulting.

I've learned not to ignore my wife's observations. ;)

Agreed. I'm not trying to troll by saying this, but I believe that the majority of those angered by Jim's comments perceived him as a 'yankee' dismissing the South and boasting that everything is bigger and better in New York City or the North in general. I'm not saying that is what Jim meant, but that's what some took it to mean.

It's just a mini 'culture clash.' Probably the first of many.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Agreed. I'm not trying to troll by saying this, but I believe that the majority of those angered by Jim's comments perceived him as a 'yankee' dismissing the South and boasting that everything is bigger and better in New York City or the North in general. I'm not saying that is what Jim meant, but that's what some took it to mean.

It's just a mini 'culture clash.' Probably the first of many.
You've made a very astute observation. Dismissing the culture of any one region of the county tends to reflect a parochial and provincial point of view on the part of the person who speaks that way. The interesting thing about this sort of regional attitude is how long it has been going on in this country. It's an unfortunate turn of events when folks denigrate or dismiss differences rather than acknowledge or embrace them.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Jason, Congrats on the shoutout from the Wall Street Journal!

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2011/09/21/jim-boeheim-voice-of-reason/?mod=google_news_blog

Feh, he's in the journal all the time.

Thanks for bringing the viewers to this thread by the link, however!

(For those here from the WSJ link, Jason appears in the journal for movie insights at various times -- check his blog for more specifics, I suspect).

And as a WSJ subscriber who lives in the South -- c'mon down for the tourney and see the pork belly futures up close. Bad year for corn, though.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2011, 08:47 PM
You've made a very astute observation. Dismissing the culture of any one region of the county tends to reflect a parochial and provincial point of view on the part of the person who speaks that way. The interesting thing about this sort of regional attitude is how long it has been going on in this country. It's an unfortunate turn of events when folks denigrate or dismiss differences rather than acknowledge or embrace them.

As a reformed Yankee, what if I make fun of both? Am I a dualistic self-loather? Bi-hateal? Symmetrically suspicious? A Connecticut Yankee in King Cotton's Court?

I need a mint julep boilermaker to figure this one out.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-21-2011, 09:02 PM
As a reformed Yankee, what if I make fun of both? Am I a dualistic self-loather? Bi-hateal? Symmetrically suspicious? A Connecticut Yankee in King Cotton's Court?

I need a mint julep boilermaker to figure this one out.
It's one thing to make fun of yourself. It's another thing to make fun of someone else. My comment was not directed at good natured kidding. How 'bout I put a little spell on that drink to sweeten it up?

OldPhiKap
09-21-2011, 09:11 PM
It's one thing to make fun of yourself. It's another thing to make fun of someone else. My comment was not directed at good natured kidding. How 'bout I put a little spell on that drink to sweeten it up?

I'll be fixin' a drink directly.

I agree with your comment 100%. I do think it is interesting to see both sides of it -- JB being provincial about the Northeast, NC folks doing the same about Greensboro.

Unless someone wants to say he is dissin' the whole ACC Tourney tradition thing like Roy -- in which case my blood will boil whether logical or not. Bless his little heart.

OPK, y'all. F'shizzle.

verga
09-21-2011, 10:13 PM
is Madison Square Garden is not the mecca of college basketball, maybe 40/50 years ago but not now. Cameron Indoor Stadium and The Dean Dome & Allen Fieldhouse & Rupp Arena & Pauley Pavillion thats where college basketball is played. New York City to my knowledge has not had a NCAA champion in the last 60 years. I know it's the thought of playing where the Knicks play (big whoop) and all the glamour and i'm not saying a visit to New York City is bad (if you know where to go)
what i am saying is New York City is a pro town and of course a few college games are nice but they can live without them, we can't live without the ACC. The ACC is a southern league with the addition of a couple of "yankee" cities thrown in
there (Boston College & Miami), it's a sign of the times and it's not all bad but it takes time for the ivy to grow. I welcome Syracuse & Pitt and even UConn and Rutgers/Notre Dame if they too join, i also think Jim Boeheim's remarks are ok for
some not so for others, it's hard for him to leave a league he's spent his entire coaching career doing what he loves best, so let's get moving and get the league right because whether we like it or not we're getting ready to go north, it should be
fun. ps, i like Boeheim. jmo

OldPhiKap
09-21-2011, 10:19 PM
I've lived up and down the East Coast. There are many great places to see and experience a game.

I am not saying that MSG is THE pinnacle, but it cerainly is one.

I'm not saying that NYC is THE City, but it certainly stands as one of the truly unique international cities of the world.

I don't agree with knocking Greensboro, but NYC is the big time by any definition. Some love it, some don't. But it's Broadway.

Starter
09-21-2011, 11:21 PM
is Madison Square Garden is not the mecca of college basketball, maybe 40/50 years ago but not now.

UConn's run to National Titles started with crazy Big East Tourneys both last year and in '04. And I feel like the six-overtime Syracuse game was a pretty mecca-esque college basketball moment. Crazy stuff tends to happen in that tournament, and subsequently that building. Factor in the Garden's 40/50 years of history, and you got something special.

DukieInKansas
09-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Hasn't MSG been kind to Duke over the years? I thought I had heard it referred to as Cameron North, almost a home game for Duke. I'll take a home team advantage any day. :)

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-22-2011, 10:06 AM
what i am saying is New York City is a pro town and of course a few college games are nice but they can live without them, we can't live without the ACC.

This is a good point, but don't forget that the sheer size of NYC mean that it likely has more college bball fans than the entire population of Durham, Wake, and Orange counties combined. There was an article in the NYTimes the other day that pegged the college football audience in NYC as 2.9M, so even if we half that figure, it's still a huge number of bball fans in one metro area. It may not dominate the landscape like in NC, but it's still a respectable fanbase.

Lar77
09-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Hasn't MSG been kind to Duke over the years? I thought I had heard it referred to as Cameron North, almost a home game for Duke. I'll take a home team advantage any day. :)

You're right. MSG (and the Meadowlands) are both Cameron North and Cameron North II. This is all a plot to make sure Duke always wins the ACC by giving us home court!

JasonEvans
09-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Feh, he's in the journal all the time.

Thanks for bringing the viewers to this thread by the link, however!

(For those here from the WSJ link, Jason appears in the journal for movie insights at various times -- check his blog for more specifics, I suspect).

Ok, that is pretty funny. The WSJ's sports blog goes to a Duke website to pick a comment and they happen to randomly pick one from someone who writes for the WSJ's entertainment blog. Ha! I promise I had nothing to do with that. I don't even begin to know the author of that column.

-Jason "wish I could get paid to write about sports... movies will have to do for the time being" Evans

Rudy
09-22-2011, 10:23 AM
I've been to 6 out of the last 7 ACC tournaments, skipping Tampa. Greensboro is the best of those venues (D.C., Charlotte, Atlanta). I've been to MSG but not for a basketball game. I'm sure it rocks as a venue. I also love NYC. But when I go to the tournament, almost all my waking time is spent going to the games. How great a city is for various cultural things (and I agree NYC is the best in the U.S.) would be wasted on me tournament time, except for the restaurants.

Has anyone here attended the Big East tournament there? How and where do the scalpers work? Do fans of losing teams sell their tickets there, too?

OldPhiKap
09-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Ok, that is pretty funny. The WSJ's sports blog goes to a Duke website to pick a comment and they happen to randomly pick one from someone who writes for the WSJ's entertainment blog. Ha! I promise I had nothing to do with that. I don't even begin to know the author of that column.

-Jason "wish I could get paid to write about sports... movies will have to do for the time being" Evans

Sounds like you should meet him/her -- you have a budding press agent in waiting.

;>)

sagegrouse
09-22-2011, 11:32 AM
I've been to 6 out of the last 7 ACC tournaments, skipping Tampa. Greensboro is the best of those venues (D.C., Charlotte, Atlanta). I've been to MSG but not for a basketball game. I'm sure it rocks as a venue. I also love NYC. But when I go to the tournament, almost all my waking time is spent going to the games. How great a city is for various cultural things (and I agree NYC is the best in the U.S.) would be wasted on me tournament time, except for the restaurants.

Has anyone here attended the Big East tournament there? How and where do the scalpers work? Do fans of losing teams sell their tickets there, too?

Greensboro better than DC for an ACC Tournament? What are you measuring? Fifty restaurants and bars within three blocks of the Verizon Center versus 50 acres of parking lot? Washington Metro vs. traffic jams? More Duke than Carolina fans? Admittedly, hotels are more expensive in DC than in Greensboro, and to get a low room rate, you may need to commute on Metro from the suburbs. But I can't believe you mean what you are saying.

There is a subtext in this subthread about Greensboro (Ooohh and double ooohh!), which is the domination of the ACC, especially basketball, by the North Carolina schools. I think the ACC has been moving forcefully if somewhat erratically to make the conference less of a North Carolina-centric enterprise. Instead of being 50% of the conference, the North Carolina schools will be 29%. So, it is silly to think that North Carolina or the fair metroplis of Greensboro owns the ACC Tournament.

sagegrouse
'Actually the state of North Carolina may really own the tournament if it has the only two or three venues that can produce sellouts. DC is no sweat, but I don't know if the ACC can sell all the tickets at the Garden'

NovaScotian
09-23-2011, 10:09 AM
i, for one, wholeheartedly welcome coach boeheim and his obscenity filled rants.

Bluedog
09-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Actually the state of North Carolina may really own the tournament if it has the only two or three venues that can produce sellouts. DC is no sweat, but I don't know if the ACC can sell all the tickets at the Garden'

Duke sells out games in December at the Garden/Meadowlands, so I don't see a problem selling out at the very least the Duke games for the ACC tournament. There are also a lot of ACC alumni in NYC, especially from UVa and UNC. And Syracuse, Boston, and Maryland are all within reasonable driving distance. I think a tournament in the Garden would be awesome, and would get more Duke fans in the stands and fewer Carolina ones, which is a definite positive in my mind. :D

JasonEvans
09-23-2011, 11:12 AM
'Actually the state of North Carolina may really own the tournament if it has the only two or three venues that can produce sellouts. DC is no sweat, but I don't know if the ACC can sell all the tickets at the Garden'

I think you would see a large number of people who go to the tourney in Atl, DC, GBoro taking the trip to NY. Also, the large numbers of ACC alums in that region (including Syrac, BC, and Pitt alums) would likely jump at the chance to see a tourney without having an extensive travel budget.

Would the ACC sell out MSG if it was held there every year? Maybe not. Would it sell out if it went there every 3-5 years? Yup, easily I suspect.

-Jason "if they hold it at MSG, I'll probably try to go" Evans

sagegrouse
09-23-2011, 11:30 AM
-Jason "if they hold it at MSG, I'll probably try to go" Evans

Well, we could talk about possible haunts for the DBR regulars in Manhattan during some future ACC tournament. I don't know the MSG area very well, since I usually stay further uptown.

And, of course, in keeping with the title of the thread, we would invite Jim Boeheim to join.

sagegrouse

towerview road
09-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Aren't K and Boeheim good friends? Hasn't K publicly credited Boeheim for teaching him a few things before? And isn't Boeheim the coach that K keeps hiring as an assistant for all of the Team USA and Olympic teams - in fact, if I remember correctly, he's the only college coach he routinely hires as an assistant (the rest are all NBA folks)?

CDu
09-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Aren't K and Boeheim good friends? Hasn't K publicly credited Boeheim for teaching him a few things before? And isn't Boeheim the coach that K keeps hiring as an assistant for all of the Team USA and Olympic teams - in fact, if I remember correctly, he's the only college coach he routinely hires as an assistant (the rest are all NBA folks)?

Yes, they're friends. And Boeheim has assisted Coach K with the national team. We've called the 2-3 zone that Coach K has started occasionally using "orange" as an homage to Syracuse's zone.