PDA

View Full Version : FB: Oklahoma 23, Florida State 13

Greg_Newton
09-17-2011, 10:52 PM
If you're not watching this game, you should be.

WOW.

If FSU can manage to pull it out in these last 10 minutes - with their backups, nonetheless - it would complete a huge day for the ACC.

moonpie23
09-17-2011, 11:05 PM
interception........could be GAME... :(

Greg_Newton
09-17-2011, 11:10 PM
interception........could be GAME... :(

Yeah, afraid I jinxed FSU. They'd scored 10 straight to tie at 13, and had their stadium rocking with OU punting from their own 1 with 10 minutes left when I posted that... it's been downhill since.

Newton_14
09-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Yeah, afraid I jinxed FSU. They'd scored 10 straight to tie at 13, and had their stadium rocking with OU punting from their own 1 with 10 minutes left when I posted that... it's been downhill since.

I am just glad the FSU receiver is ok. That looked really bad. I was very concerned watching that. The way he fell, and held his hands up, was scary looking.

I unfortunately missed parts of the game, so what happened to FSU's starting QB? When I tuned back in during the 4th quarter, I saw the backup at the helm. What kind of injury did the starter have?

SilkyJ
09-17-2011, 11:34 PM
I am just glad the FSU receiver is ok. That looked really bad. I was very concerned watching that. The way he fell, and held his hands up, was scary looking.

I unfortunately missed parts of the game, so what happened to FSU's starting QB? When I tuned back in during the 4th quarter, I saw the backup at the helm. What kind of injury did the starter have?

Bruised shoulder (non throwing)

Tackled hard on a QB run play.

Newton_14
09-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Bruised shoulder (non throwing)

Tackled hard on a QB run play.

Thanks Silky. Okie's D looked very strong. I thought FSU looked good, but just wasn't quite as good as Oklahoma. Without the two key injuries, they might have pulled the upset, but, if an buts and all that..

Props to Miami for doing their part. All in all a good day for the ACC.

Greg_Newton
09-18-2011, 02:29 AM
Thanks Silky. Okie's D looked very strong. I thought FSU looked good, but just wasn't quite as good as Oklahoma. Without the two key injuries, they might have pulled the upset, but, if an buts and all that..

Props to Miami for doing their part. All in all a good day for the ACC.

Yeah, and apparently the injured WR actually recovered well enough to come back to the sideline with the team, which is great.

I think FSU could have easily won the game had Landry Jones not made an incredible play halfway through the fourth. FSU was rolling and had all the momentum, and OU was backed up in their territory facing 3rd-and-12 en route to what would have been 3-and-out. Landry then takes a huge hit from a blitz while making an incredible throw down the middle for a 20-30 yard gain. Next play, 40-yard TD pass, and the air just came out of FSU.

Too bad for the ACC, but I'll certainly take today as a whole!

CDu
09-18-2011, 09:23 AM
I think FSU could have easily won the game had Landry Jones not made an incredible play halfway through the fourth. FSU was rolling and had all the momentum, and OU was backed up in their territory facing 3rd-and-12 en route to what would have been 3-and-out. Landry then takes a huge hit from a blitz while making an incredible throw down the middle for a 20-30 yard gain. Next play, 40-yard TD pass, and the air just came out of FSU.

That stretch of a couple of minutes definitely decided it. FSU had all of the momentum (that place was rocking!) and was on te verge of getting the ball back with a chance to take the lead. Instead, Jones makes that out of pocket play to get the first down, then throws the big TD pass (not sure what Greg Reid was doing on that play). Then four plays later, Trickett throws the pick. In the span of less than two minutes, FSU went from dominating the second half and having a chance to take the lead to being close to done.

FSU looked like a legitimate BCS team, which is good for the conference. Both defenses looked great. Unfortunately, OU just had a little bit more. They completely took away the FSU run game (so many huge tackles for loss on wide run plays). Interestingly, the redshirt freshman Trickett looked better than the highly-recruited redshirt junior Manuel (again).

jimsumner
09-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Major kudos to Oklahoma. Playing on the road in a very full, very loud, very partisan stadium. An inspired FSU team ties game in 4th. Crowd going nuts. A lesser team might have cracked. But OU methodically marched the ball downfield and into the end zone, then got a turnover on FSU's next possession. That's how a championship team responds to pressure. I was impressed.