PDA

View Full Version : Featherston: Saturday Is ACC’s Chance To Shine article - How'd the ACC do

Scorp4me
09-17-2011, 05:24 PM
I post alot, but start few threads so I hope this one adds something to the discussion. With the announcement that Syarcuse and Pitt want to join, obviously the ACC is looking different than it did yesterday. But Featherston's article is good in that it lays out a concise picture of how the ACC could change their perceptions in football...and how they missed their opportunity last year (makes it easy since the games are being repeated this year). I've only read the final scores of the first three games so I'd value input into the actual games. Plus I like to keep up with the two night games on here as well.

Last year Kansas upset the defending ACC champion, this year Tech crushed Kansas winning 66-24.

After failing to knock off Auburn last year Clemson does it this year winning 38-24.

Maryland was, in the words of Featherston, trampled by West Virginia last year. This year's game was close, losing 37-31.

The Featherston article is linked on the front page, but here it is again http://www.accsports.com/articles/2011091511029/featherston-saturday-is-accs-chance-to-shine.php

So how are we doing so far? Can we make it 4 of 5?

I also found this article with a recap of all of the games mentioned. It also includes sarcastic comments to Ted Roof's Defense and the fact that someone actually won in the BC/Duke game. But whatever. http://college-football.si.com/2011/09/17/snaps-judgments-meet-sammy-watkins/

throatybeard
09-17-2011, 05:38 PM
I post alot, but start few threads so I hope this one adds something to the discussion. With the announcement that Syarcuse and Pitt want to join, obviously the ACC is looking different than it did yesterday. But Featherston's article is good in that it lays out a concise picture of how the ACC could change their perceptions in football...and how they missed their opportunity last year (makes it easy since the games are being repeated this year). I've only read the final scores of the first three games so I'd value input into the actual games. Plus I like to keep up with the two night games on here as well.

Last year Kansas upset the defending ACC champion, this year Tech crushed Kansas winning 66-24.

After failing to knock off Auburn last year Clemson does it this year winning 38-24.

Maryland was, in the words of Featherston, trampled by West Virginia last year. This year's game was close, losing 37-31.

The Featherston article is linked on the front page, but here it is again http://www.accsports.com/articles/2011091511029/featherston-saturday-is-accs-chance-to-shine.php

So how are we doing so far? Can we make it 4 of 5?

I also found this article with a recap of all of the games mentioned. It also includes sarcastic comments to Ted Roof's Defense and the fact that someone actually won in the BC/Duke game. But whatever. http://college-football.si.com/2011/09/17/snaps-judgments-meet-sammy-watkins/

Florida State over Oklahoma would be a HUGE statement game for the conference. I'm doing the tomahawk chop and singing the stupid song as we speak.

Scorp4me
09-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Florida State over Oklahoma would be a HUGE statement game for the conference. I'm doing the tomahawk chop and singing the stupid song as we speak.

The two remaining games of the day being FSU and Oklahoma along with Miami and Ohio St.

I'll have to say one thing, despite the conferences growing larger from this mess...it has certainly made me pull harder for our other conference members.

Olympic Fan
09-17-2011, 06:10 PM
The FSU-Oklahoma and Miami-Ohio State outcomes will be huge for the conference, no doubt.

The ACC is off to a good start today and winning those two would make a huge statement. Also important not to lose Virginia Tech-Arkansas State (VPI up 23-7 at the half) and South Alabama at NC State (just starting).

Obviously, if FSU wins, it puts them in the national title race. The Clemson win might really help Virginia Tech. The Hokies play a terrible non-ACC schedule and unless somebody in the league steps up, they can't make up for that lack within the league.

As it now stands, they'll almost certainly be 4-0 when Clemson and Miami come to Blacksburg on back-to-back weekends to open October. It looks like the Clemson game will be meaningful for them ... if Miami can make that one meaningful, then Va Tech can get in the title race.

CDu
09-17-2011, 08:07 PM
It's early, but Miami is currently up 14-0 against Ohio State. They've looked good.

And of course as soon as I say that, they throw an INT and give up to 10+ yard runs.

Greg_Newton
09-17-2011, 08:39 PM
FSU's QB making some plays, but they're getting worked on the line. I think this one gets away from them, unfortunately.

davekay1971
09-17-2011, 09:18 PM
FSU hanging in there, and Miami still up at halftime. Scary moment with FSU's receiver, and I hope he'll be okay (he was hit hard and knocked unconscious).

If Miami can hang on for the win and FSU at least make this a close game throughout, this will have been a successful day for the ACC. If FSU can actually win, it will be a remarkable day for the conference...

Scorp4me
09-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Would like to grab both games, but so far it's not too bad. Miami is up by two scores and threatening to score again with less than 3 minutes left. I think they have this game wrapped up.

FSU is still in the game, down 10 as the 3rd quarter winds down...but running out of time. Still, they are definitely still in it.

I'll just edit my post to say Miami scored to put the game away. FSU has scored a field goal to pull to within one score, now down 13-6.

Scorp4me
09-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Just as I started to post that we had a game with the score tied 13-13...OK scores. Still plenty of time left though and it's great to see FSU still with a shot late in the game!

SilkyJ
09-17-2011, 11:43 PM
6-2 overall against OOC, 3-2 vs BCS schools. Very solid performance.

Oh and Duke leads the Atlantic :)

Jderf
09-18-2011, 07:01 AM
Oh and Duke leads the Atlantic :)

Undefeated in conference play.