QB Brandon Connette (upper body) – OUT

C Brian Moore (arm) – OUT

RB Desmond Scott (leg) – OUT

RB Josh Snead (foot) – OUT

Duvall
09-15-2011, 03:21 PM

Tch. Any word on the injury report from BC?

jimsumner
09-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Tch. Any word on the injury report from BC?

Haven't seen the injury report. But this could have implication.

"Rogers Takes Leave of Absence for Health Reasons
Tight ends coach Dave Brock named acting offensive coordinator

Sept. 12, 2011

Boston College Football Coach Frank Spaziani announced today that offensive coordinator Kevin Rogers has asked to take a leave of absence for health reasons, effective immediately. Tight ends coach Dave Brock has been named acting offensive coordinator and will coach the quarterbacks. Graduate assistant Ben Johnson will be elevated to tight ends coach on an interim basis.

"Our football program operates as a family unit, and we are totally supportive of Kevin," Spaziani said. "I would like to ask our fans and followers to support Kevin and respect his privacy. I have the utmost confidence in Dave Brock, and we will begin the transition immediately." "

OldPhiKap
09-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Haven't seen the injury report. But this could have implication.

"Rogers Takes Leave of Absence for Health Reasons
Tight ends coach Dave Brock named acting offensive coordinator

Sept. 12, 2011

Boston College Football Coach Frank Spaziani announced today that offensive coordinator Kevin Rogers has asked to take a leave of absence for health reasons, effective immediately. Tight ends coach Dave Brock has been named acting offensive coordinator and will coach the quarterbacks. Graduate assistant Ben Johnson will be elevated to tight ends coach on an interim basis.

"Our football program operates as a family unit, and we are totally supportive of Kevin," Spaziani said. "I would like to ask our fans and followers to support Kevin and respect his privacy. I have the utmost confidence in Dave Brock, and we will begin the transition immediately." "

Unfortunately, a coaching change at Richmond didn't help.

We've got plenty of good and healthy ballplayers to take this game. It is a matter of execution.

Acymetric
09-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Any word on how Brian is progressing? Would love to get our starting center back and slide Harding back over.

jimsumner
09-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Any word on how Brian is progressing? Would love to get our starting center back and slide Harding back over.

I'm not entirely sure Duke wouldn't just keep Harding at center and slot Moore back in at guard. Remember, Bryan Morgan was Duke's starting center last season. Harding now has much more actual game experience at center than does Moore and that gap widens everytime Harding takes game snaps at center, while Moore sits out.

airowe
09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
BC Injuries:

“Left guard Nathan Richman (back), linebacker Steele DiVitto (leg), defensive end Max Holloway (back) and defensive tackle Dominic Appiah are probable for Saturday’s game against Duke; center Mark Spinney (knee), running back Montel Harris (knee) and defensive tackle Kaleb Ramsey (foot) are doubtful; defensive end Connor Wujciak (shoulder) is out….

Depth Chart: http://www.bcinterruption.com/2011/9/13/2422517/boston-college-football-depth-chart-for-duke-game

duke blue brewcrew
09-15-2011, 05:07 PM
September 15, 2011

At Boston College

S Jordon Byas (foot) – Probable

K Will Snyderwine (foot) – Questionable

QB Brandon Connette (upper body) – OUT

C Brian Moore (arm) – OUT

Does anyone know the specific injuries Scott and Snead are dealing with? Are they season ending?

airowe
09-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Does anyone know the specific injuries Scott and Snead are dealing with? Are they season ending?

Neither are believed to be.

They are both leg injuries.

Newton_14
09-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Neither are believed to be.

They are both leg injuries.

Not to question the guru, so I will tread careful, but I thought Snead had a foot injury? Desmond's is a sprained MCL according to the reports after the Richmond game, so definite knee issue with him. Hopefully we will get him back soon.

Am I wrong on Snead?

On another note, even though Will hurt his ankle on the onside kick Saturday, I read today where he has actually been hurt since the pre-season and was battling through it until the ankle injury. So, we need to cut him some slack on the FG misses in the first two games. I hope we can get him back to good health soon. We need his kicking badly. The last FG attempt he had against Stanford, actually was a good kick that just missed. Rotation of the ball looked great and from my seat, I actually thought he had made it. Easily the best looking kick of the 4 attempts this year.

Would love to see us get Moore, Josh, and Desmond back soon as well. Desmond looked really good in the Richmond game prior to the injury, and I was really anxious to see the Soph version of Josh Snead. If we can get all of those guys healthy including Moore, it will do wonders for the running game, and likely help pass protection as well.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Not to question the guru, so I will tread careful, but I thought Snead had a foot injury? Desmond's is a sprained MCL according to the reports after the Richmond game, so definite knee issue with him. Hopefully we will get him back soon.

Am I wrong on Snead?

I heard, third hand after asking many people, that Snead does indeed have a foot injury, more specifically a TOE injury. Yes, somewhat similar to Kyrie's turf toe, but hopefully not as severe. I have no idea when he is projected to be back. I will be opTOEmistic about his return this season http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/4.gif

Newton_14
09-15-2011, 09:42 PM
I heard, third hand after asking many people, that Snead does indeed have a foot injury, more specifically a TOE injury. Yes, somewhat similar to Kyrie's turf toe, but hopefully not as severe. I have no idea when he is projected to be back. I will be opTOEmistic about his return this season http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/4.gif

Thanks Oz. I am not crazy then. (Well maybe I still am:p) I was pretty sure it was reported originally as a foot injury and not a knee. I assume Mr Sumner can confirm one way or another for us.

devildeac
09-15-2011, 10:51 PM

I hope you are not toetally off base with this. (Oh, no, not this again:rolleyes:)
Do we need a Josh Snead Toe Vigil Thread?

throatybeard
09-16-2011, 01:24 AM
It seems like we always have OL problems. Maybe the least the one year in the last 20 when Chris Douglas went off was good. Why is we can get a hot LB, a hot DL, some nice guys at skill positions, but we can never seem to get a really stable OL? Or am I off base here?

devildeac
09-16-2011, 08:12 AM
It seems like we always have OL problems. Maybe the least the one year in the last 20 when Chris Douglas went off was good. Why is we can get a hot LB, a hot DL, some nice guys at skill positions, but we can never seem to get a really stable OL? Or am I off base here?

This year was supposed to be improved until Moore broke his arm and Harding moved to C. See Jim Sumner's post above. Tomlinson is supposed to be a stud and my impression is that this year we are bigger/faster/stronger/older than in Cut's first 3 years. I'll certainly defer any further/deeper comments to Jim, OF, pbc2 and Watzone on this topic as they are far more edjumacated than I am about our roster, depth charts and experience .

Bob Green
09-16-2011, 10:03 AM

This year was supposed to be improved until Moore broke his arm and Harding moved to C. See Jim Sumner's post above. Tomlinson is supposed to be a stud and my impression is that this year we are bigger/faster/stronger/older than in Cut's first 3 years. I'll certainly defer any further/deeper comments to Jim, OF, pbc2 and Watzone on this topic as they are far more edjumacated than I am about our roster, depth charts and experience .

The offensive line is solid as Coach Cutcliffe has had success recruiting quality offensive linemen. This season's starting five includes one senior (Kyle Hill) and four guys who will be back next year: Dave Harding (RSo), Perry Simmons (RSo), John Coleman (RSo) and Laken Tomlinson (RFr). Plus, Brian Moore (RJr) will be available once his arm heals so we will have him back later this year and next year as well. Redshirt freshman Takoby Cofield is also playing downs and gaining experience this season.

Additionally, there are several quality true freshmen offensive linemen on the roster who will redshirt including: Lucas Patrick, Matt Skura, Marcus Aprahamien, Carson Ginn and Cody Robinson. I'd say the future of the offensive line is very stable. Alongside wide receiver, the offensive line is our deepest position.

devildeac
09-16-2011, 10:12 AM
The offensive line is solid as Coach Cutcliffe has had success recruiting quality offensive linemen. This season's starting five includes one senior (Kyle Hill) and four guys who will be back next year: Dave Harding (RSo), Perry Simmons (RSo), John Coleman (RSo) and Laken Tomlinson (RFr). Plus, Brian Moore (RJr) will be available once his arm heals so we will have him back later this year and next year as well. Redshirt freshman Takoby Cofield is also playing downs and gaining experience this season.

Additionally, there are several quality true freshmen offensive linemen on the roster who will redshirt including: Lucas Patrick, Matt Skura, Marcus Aprahamien, Carson Ginn and Cody Robinson. I'd say the future of the offensive line is very stable. Alongside wide receiver, the offensive line is our deepest position.

I am also very happy to defer to Bob Green as he so thoroughly enlightened/edjumacated us above. Thanks, Bob.

Olympic Fan
09-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I agree -- this offensive line is the best we've had in years -- even without Moore -- and is only going to get better over the next couple of years.

As for Moore, I keep thinking he'll come back at guard. Keep in mind that he broke his right arm -- that's the one that snaps the ball. I've seen OL guys play with soft casts (usually to protect broken wrists), but I would guess that would hinder a center snapping the bal. Moore has started at OG for two years -- bring him back there and leave Harding in the middle.

Of all the injuries, the biggest probhlem is having both Snead and Scott out. They are two-thirds of our quality running backs. After those three, there's a big dropoff -- Hollingsworth is a smart, experienced back with decent receiving skills and is a good pass protector, but he's not an ACC quality runner.

With Snead and Scott out, we're down to Thompson as a real running back -- and we can't run him into the ground.

It's not a huge problem because the offense is actually built around the passing game, but it would be nice to get one more running back back so Cut could alternate his ball-carriers.

airowe
09-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Am I wrong on Snead?

You all are right, my apologies! Go Duke, #BeatBC!

-bdbd
09-16-2011, 12:35 PM
I agree -- this offensive line is the best we've had in years -- even without Moore -- and is only going to get better over the next couple of years.

As for Moore, I keep thinking he'll come back at guard. Keep in mind that he broke his right arm -- that's the one that snaps the ball. I've seen OL guys play with soft casts (usually to protect broken wrists), but I would guess that would hinder a center snapping the bal. Moore has started at OG for two years -- bring him back there and leave Harding in the middle.

Of all the injuries, the biggest probhlem is having both Snead and Scott out. They are two-thirds of our quality running backs. After those three, there's a big dropoff -- Hollingsworth is a smart, experienced back with decent receiving skills and is a good pass protector, but he's not an ACC quality runner.

With Snead and Scott out, we're down to Thompson as a real running back -- and we can't run him into the ground.

It's not a huge problem because the offense is actually built around the passing game, but it would be nice to get one more running back back so Cut could alternate his ball-carriers.
Yes, OL seems in great shape for depth relative to years past. That is a big part of my optimism for the next few years under Cut. But aren't we recruiting a "power back" this year to run behind them?

Thanks Bob. (Go Navy, 2-0!) ;)
But,at a high level, where are we deep and not-so-deep?
My sense is we are solid from good recruiting at OL, QB, WR, TE, but could use a stud RB. On D we have depth at deep-backs/Safety. On D, we are in need of serious DL depth, and also LB's. Sound fair, or can you correct?

Bob Green
09-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks Bob. (Go Navy, 2-0!) ;)
But,at a high level, where are we deep and not-so-deep?
My sense is we are solid from good recruiting at OL, QB, WR, TE, but could use a stud RB. On D we have depth at deep-backs/Safety. On D, we are in need of serious DL depth, and also LB's. Sound fair, or can you correct?

I agree with your assessment of where we are deep and not so deep. On the defensive line, we have several youngsters with lots of upside but could definitely benefit by successfully recruiting a couple of stud interior linemen to complement the talent at defensive end. And while we are deep at safety, Matt Daniels and Lee Butler are both seniors. On offense, we need to secure a running back commitment. There was no RB signed in 2011 and so far in 2012 we have not wrapped up a RB.

Reilly
09-16-2011, 02:11 PM
... Hollingsworth is a smart, experienced back ... but he's not an ACC quality runner.

Hopefully w/ the improved OLine, Jay can up his running average over 4 and be an ACC quality runner.

Back-YR - (carries) - avg

Scott 11 (11) 7.3
JT 11 (24) 5.4
Snead 10 (45) 4.9
Scott 10 (120) 4.4
PK 09 (34) 4.4
Jay 10 (45) 3.9
Scott 09 (70) 3.7
Jay 08 (108) 3.7
JT 10 (25) 3.5
Jay 09 (54) 3.3
Jay 11 (5) 3.0
PK 10 (3) 3.0
PK 11 (5) 2.6

Career averages entering 2011:

Snead 45 carries ... 4.9
PK 37 carries ... 4.3
Scott 190 carries ... 4.2
Jay 207 carries ... 3.6
JT 25 carries ... 3.5

Olympic Fan
09-16-2011, 02:26 PM
I agree with your assessment of where we are deep and not so deep. On the defensive line, we have several youngsters with lots of upside but could definitely benefit by successfully recruiting a couple of stud interior linemen to complement the talent at defensive end. And while we are deep at safety, Matt Daniels and Lee Butler are both seniors. On offense, we need to secure a running back commitment. There was no RB signed in 2011 and so far in 2012 we have not wrapped up a RB.

While I agree that signing a stud TB is a big goal for this recruiting class, at least our top three RBs (Scott, Snead and Thompson) are underlassmen and will be back. We do have to replace Hollingsworth and Kurunwune is a four-year junior who may or may not be back for his last year of eligibility.

Let me break down recruiting priorities this way as I see it:

Strengths
(1) Offensive line ... good and getting better. Always need to bring in a couple each year but I think Coach Luke and Coach Cut have proved they know what they're doing here. One senior in this year's rotation, but some of the returning vets will be pushed next year by the kids they are redshirting this year.
(2) Wide receiver ... wow, the talent keeps coming. Crowder is going to be a big-time stud and Holliday looks very good. Nick Hill looks good -- there are just too many studs ahead of him. The only guy who's playing that we lose is Donovan Varner and Crowder is already in position to replace him.

Solid
(1) Quarterback -- three underclass QBs and one that Cut really likes coming in this year. Next year, we'll have a senior (Renfree), a junior (Connette), a soph (Boone) and a freshman (who will probably redshirt).
(2) Secondary -- Cockrell is really coming along and he'll still have two more years after this one. They have to outstanding freshmen CBs that they're trying to redshirt (Burton and Boyd). Greene is developing and he's got two more years. Nice future at corner, although you've got to keep bringing them in. Daniels and Butler do leave at safety, but Canty, Campbell, Byas and Young-Wiseman (who is going to be good) are all returning, along with Blakeney, who is sitting out this season. They are also redshirting a promising guy is Taveras.
(3) Tight end -- lose a very good one in Helfet and a solid blocker in Parker. But Deaver is going to be a top-flight receiving TE and Jack Farrell is a solid blocker at the position. It was be nice is Ryan Hall finds a way to contribute. The key is that Cut landed a top TE in this year's class -- David Reeves -- then had eough depth to redshirt him.
(4) Kickers -- This was a priority ... Will Monday was a great get and hopefully they'll be able to redshirt him. Martin, coming in next year, is one of the top-rated placekickers in the nation. I know that's not that reassuring (Joe Surgan was one of the top PK recruits in the nation), but how can you do better?

Question marks:
(1) Defensive line -- the problem here is no longer lack of depth, but lack of experience. The class that got redshirted last year is the key to the future of this position. Unless they find a five-star stud (or an underrated three star like John Drew), the future is guys like Bruce, Sink and Ingram inside; DeWalt-Odijio, Johnson and Wallace outside. The only senior in the rotation is Hatcher and while his loss will be felt, the problem next year is not numbers, but quality.

(2) Linebacker -- Again, it would be nice to add a five-star stud, but every guy in the rotation is an underclassman, except Gamble -- and he's a junior. It depends on the kids -- France (redshirt), Woodruff and Helton are freshmen in the current rotation; Kelby Brown is a sophomore stud ... his brother is redshirting.

I guess my point is, the one place we really need numbers help is RB ... we could be down to three guys next year. Three good ones, yeah, but this year's injuries show many RBs are really needed.

Other than that, we could use studs at LB and DL ... but, heck, we can use studs at any position. Realistically, it's almost to the point where Cut can just bring in balanced classes -- a couple of OL, a couple of DL, a couple of LB, 2-3 DBs, one QB, 1-2 RBs and 1-2 WRs a year ... maybe a specialist every other year.

Newton_14
09-16-2011, 09:32 PM
(4) Kickers -- This was a priority ... Will Monday was a great get and hopefully they'll be able to redshirt him. Martin, coming in next year, is one of the top-rated placekickers in the nation. I know that's not that reassuring (Joe Surgan was one of the top PK recruits in the nation), but how can you do better?

Great summary Oly. Thanks for that. One question regarding Kickers. Given the situation with Snyderwine's injury, and the fact that another good/great prospect in Martin, is already signed for next year, why not burn the shirt on Will Monday, and utilize him now? We would get 2 games short of 4 full years out of Monday, and still be able to redshirt Martin in next years class if Monday can get the job done. We would be covered for the next 5 years with those 2 guys, leaving plenty of time to pickup other kickers on the recruiting trail.

I am really worried about our kicking right now, and we need strong kicking this year (Preferrably a healthy Snyderwine) to be all that we can be this season. Praying that Will Snyderwine gets healthy soon, but if that is not in the cards, maybe Will Monday can step up..

jimsumner
09-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Great summary Oly. Thanks for that. One question regarding Kickers. Given the situation with Snyderwine's injury, and the fact that another good/great prospect in Martin, is already signed for next year, why not burn the shirt on Will Monday, and utilize him now? We would get 2 games short of 4 full years out of Monday, and still be able to redshirt Martin in next years class if Monday can get the job done. We would be covered for the next 5 years with those 2 guys, leaving plenty of time to pickup other kickers on the recruiting trail.

I am really worried about our kicking right now, and we need strong kicking this year (Preferrably a healthy Snyderwine) to be all that we can be this season. Praying that Will Snyderwine gets healthy soon, but if that is not in the cards, maybe Will Monday can step up..

Monday was recruited as a punter. I suspect Duke would not want to use him next season as a punter and place-kicker.

FWIW, Monday was 4-for-7 on FGs last season and missed four PATs. Great prep punter, good prep place-kicker.

A lot depends on when Snyderwine is healthy and when and whether he regains his mojo. Burning Monday's redshirt for one or two games might not be a rational allocation of resources.

Newton_14
09-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Monday was recruited as a punter. I suspect Duke would not want to use him next season as a punter and place-kicker.

FWIW, Monday was 4-for-7 on FGs last season and missed four PATs. Great prep punter, good prep place-kicker.

A lot depends on when Snyderwine is healthy and when and whether he regains his mojo. Burning Monday's redshirt for one or two games might not be a rational allocation of resources.

Duh, my bad. I missed the fact that Monday was recruited as a punter vs placekicker. Forget the suggestion then. Focus remains on getting Will back to health and making kicks.

budwom
09-17-2011, 09:07 AM
It's WAAAAY premature to call our offensive line "good and getting better." I know we have a lot more depth than we've had, and recruiting has gone very well, but so far the on-field performance has
been mediocre at best. Foolish penalties, major breakdowns in protection in the red zone (as Cutcliffe acknowledges). Guys like Tomlinson and Cofield should pay dividends in the future, but right now
our OL still has a lot to prove. Let's see how they do against a strugging BC squad today...

jimsumner
09-17-2011, 12:07 PM
It's WAAAAY premature to call our offensive line "good and getting better." I know we have a lot more depth than we've had, and recruiting has gone very well, but so far the on-field performance has
been mediocre at best. Foolish penalties, major breakdowns in protection in the red zone (as Cutcliffe acknowledges). Guys like Tomlinson and Cofield should pay dividends in the future, but right now
our OL still has a lot to prove. Let's see how they do against a strugging BC squad today...

I have absolutely no doubt that the talent level in the OL is way up.

But it's young talent. With the exception of Kyle Hill, every guy in the OL rotation is either a redshirt sophomore or redshirt freshman. And that at a position that values time and experience and the cohesion of working together, day after day, practice after practice, game after game.

Duke doesn't have that and it's fair to note than production hasn't matched expectations. That should come and today is a great opportunity to take a giant step forward. We should know a lot more in a few hours.

OldPhiKap
09-17-2011, 04:58 PM
How about a big hand for the OL? Played very well, and a lot of the shots at Renfree were late and cheap. OL did very well.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-17-2011, 05:05 PM
How about a big hand for the OL? Played very well, and a lot of the shots at Renfree were late and cheap. OL did very well.
Did the BC basketball team work with the football team to prepare for this game?

What a nasty day on the field..... lots of hard hits with questionable placement and/or timing. The whirlpools will be busy all night.

OldPhiKap
09-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Did the BC basketball team work with the football team to prepare for this game?

What a nasty day on the field..... lots of hard hits with questionable placement and/or timing. The whirlpools will be busy all night.

Y'know, I thought that all game but wasn't sure if it was just me.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Y'know, I thought that all game but wasn't sure if it was just me.
You were not alone in identifying what was going on. My patience for letting the officials deal with the rough play ran out near the end of the game. That's why I pulled out the spell on the FG attempt.

jimsumner
09-17-2011, 05:53 PM
And yet it was Duke that had all the penalties, including the late roughing-the-passer call. I thought that was a good call. If only it had been called that way all game.

OldPhiKap
09-17-2011, 05:54 PM
And yet it was Duke that had all the penalties, including the late roughing-the-passer call. I thought that was a good call. If only it had been called that way all game.

Yeah, watch the hit #9 gave to Renfree after he fell on his back on the TD "run". Sean was coming up when he fore-armed him in the head.