PDA

View Full Version : Maryland football fan curses at 11-year old boy

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Apparently Duke shouldn't feel special, they aren't the only ones to get the f-bomb chants. I will say that I wasn't expecting a student to get up in an 11 year old's face. That's a nice touch Maryland, I didn't think you could surprise me anymore.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/maryland-football-fan-curses-at-11-year-old-boy/2011/09/13/gIQAl1YbPK_blog.html?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

OZZIE4DUKE
09-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Apparently Duke shouldn't feel special, they aren't the only ones to get the f-bomb chants. I will say that I wasn't expecting a student to get up in an 11 year old's face. That's a nice touch Maryland, I didn't think you could surprise me anymore.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/maryland-football-fan-curses-at-11-year-old-boy/2011/09/13/gIQAl1YbPK_blog.html?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost
Well, now that Ms. Yow isn't AD and Gary isn't the Bball coach, maybe, just maybe, the folks in charge at UMd will do something to change the student behavior and get rid of (future) chants like F U JJ. One can only hope this letter is the start of something good in College Park.

-bdbd
09-14-2011, 02:30 AM
If you read the comments at the bottom of the article it is just astonishing the number of fans - probably over half! - who actually try to DEFEND this sort of boorish behavior. Many of the posters resort to insulting the man who sent the letter to the MD Administration, calling him a liar, and insulting him as a father for bringing an 11-year-old into this sort of "intense" environment. Even a couple argue that they've NEVER seen this kind of behavior at MD games. I'm not a MD fan, though I do live in the DC area, and have attended a number of games at the football and Comcast (BB) stadiums, and I ALWAYS see that kind of behavior. (And, no, I don't wear Duke attire for fear of physical and/or verbal assault.)

Sigh. Very sad, pathetic.

:mad: :( :eek:

P.S. Can anyone even imagine this sort of ugliness, nastiness, rudeness and immaturity happening in such a widespread and accepted way at Duke, or UNC, or UVA, or Wake, or BC, or Ga Tech???

blazindw
09-14-2011, 05:56 AM
I was there decked out in orange and green to root on my law school alma mater, and MD fans can never say they've been to a MD game and "never seen" stuff like what happened to that kid. We were getting accosted from left and right...after the game, Maryland fans were trying to instigate fights by getting in the faces of Miami fans and talking trash. I've also been to the Comcast Center decked out in Duke Blue and that was rough too...until Neal knocked out Nolan Smith and Hendo gave us one of the best answer dunks in recent memory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckLHEUkNOgE). After that, the 30 or so Duke fans that were there controlled the game. I'm a man that has zero problems walking into the belly of the beast for sporting contests (sitting in the Rams Club section of the Dean Dome in Duke Blue, 2 games at FedEx wearing Cowboys gear, being a Duke fan in Maryland, etc.). Nowhere are the fans more vile than on the campus of the University of Maryland. It makes me want to beat them that much more living here, because half the town is so angry the next day. :)