PDA

View Full Version : Some love for Redick and Scheyer from Luke Winn (efficiency metrics)

Duke05
09-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Redick had the 1st and 4th most efficient seasons among wing players in the last nine years:

4. 7.86%: J.J. Redick, Duke, 2004-05 (Jr.)
(121.1 ORating, 92.9% mins. played, 24.8% poss. used, vs. 0.957 PPP defense)
This is Redick's junior year, when he won the first of his two ACC Player of the Year awards, and Duke was upset in the Sweet 16 by Michigan State. Part of his immense value lied in the fact that Coach K rarely needed to take him off the floor, due to much-improved conditioning from his freshman and sophomore seasons.

1. 9.33%: J.J. Redick, Duke, 2005-06 (Sr.)
(120.2 ORating, 92.5% mins. played, 29.2% poss. used, vs. 0.947 PPP defense)
Redick was the most hated player in college hoops, but he wasn't overrated. He posted his Wooden-and-Naismith worthy numbers going against the second-toughest slate of defenses (average efficiency: 94.7) in the database, and took his game to the next level by adding a slashing element to his already lethal long-range shooting. His senior year goes down as the gold standard for modern-era shooting guards.
from http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/luke_winn/09/07/shooting.guards.wings/index.html

Scheyer, on the other hand, owns the 3rd most efficient season among PGs:

3. 9.11%: Jon Scheyer, Duke, 2009-10 (Sr.)
(127.0 ORating, 91.9% mins. played, 23.2% poss. used, vs. 0.943 PPP defense)
During Scheyer's swan song with the Blue Devils, Coach K would often talk about how well his senior point guard "valued" the ball on every possession. That was a highly accurate descriptor, as Scheyer ranks as the top national-champ point guard, in terms of Value Add. In retrospect, the fact that he lost out to Maryland's Greivis Vasquez for both ACC Player of the Year and the Cousy Award seems like a shame. Vasquez's Value Add that season was just 5.68 percent, which ranked 40th.
from http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/luke_winn/09/06/value.add.point.guards/index.html

licc85
09-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Wow . . . freakin Vasquez. Jon was a superior player in almost every way, yet Vasquez is the one in the NBA and got all the accolades. I honestly think Jon would be twice the player Vasquez is in the pros. I'm sure Jon is okay with his championship ring as opposed to those individual awards, but if Jon had made it on the Heat roster off the summer league squad instead of getting his eye poked, I wouldn't be surprised if he had an NBA ring now too. The Heat really could have used a great ball handler and shooter like Jon in the Finals.

Not surprised with the JJ stats. He at least got his due credit with all the NPOY awards.

rsvman
09-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Yep. Scheyer also had the first most efficient season among point guards for National Championship teams. Scheyer was seriously undervalued in the ACC his senior year. Everybody kept focusing on the fact that he wasn't "a true point guard." Who cares? He played the point extremely well, if a bit unconventionally. He valued the ball better than any point guard in the country.

Oh, and when the chips were down, he came through.

Jderf
09-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Wow . . . freakin Vasquez. Jon was a superior player in almost every way, yet Vasquez is the one in the NBA and got all the accolades. I honestly think Jon would be twice the player Vasquez is in the pros. I'm sure Jon is okay with his championship ring as opposed to those individual awards, but if Jon had made it on the Heat roster off the summer league squad instead of getting his eye poked, I wouldn't be surprised if he had an NBA ring now too. The Heat really could have used a great ball handler and shooter like Jon in the Finals.

Not surprised with the JJ stats. He at least got his due credit with all the NPOY awards.

I still think that if Vasquez didn't drop that crazy, off-balance, high-banked clown shot to clinch the upset against us towards the end of that season, Jon would have taken home ACC POY. That shot, so close to POY voting, distorted general perceptions of the value of each player. Oh well, Jon still got the ring.