PDA

View Full Version : MD new Under Armour unis

weezie
09-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Watching a few minutes of Miami @ MD and what the heck with the MD unis?!
They have 32 new combinations courtesy of the Under Armour alumni guy and I think they are wearing all 32 tonight, all at once.
It's like a clown football team.
Seriously, the arm wraps are stupid. Ugh!!!
I mean the helmets look liks something the dog barfed up!

devildeac
09-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Here's the link to the photo gallery (WARNING-may cause ophthalmic hemorrhage):

http://www.umterps.com/view.gal?id=100044

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Watching a few minutes of Miami @ MD and what the heck with the MD unis?!
They have 32 new combinations courtesy of the Under Armour alumni guy and I think they are wearing all 32 tonight, all at once.
It's like a clown football team.
Seriously, the arm wraps are stupid. Ugh!!!
Look closely at the details.... those are snippets from the flag of the State of Maryland.

I have always thought of condiments when I see the Maryland colors, all four or five of them. Now the Miami colors, they're more like a spoiled salad bar or old peas and carrots.

weezie
09-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Deac, aren't they hilarious?!

weezie
09-05-2011, 09:30 PM
those are snippets from the flag of the State of Maryland.

Yeah, the state shaped like a lamb chop.

AtlBluRew
09-05-2011, 09:34 PM
When did orange become one of the colors of the state of Maryland??? My only guesses are: (1) the yellows and reds from the state flag ran together in the wash; or (2) the Terps are trying to emulate the Orioles ... a baseball team that hasn't had a winning season in nearly 30 years.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-05-2011, 09:37 PM
This design extravaganza is probably making Alexander Julian work on a new design for the Carolina football team. They need a new look... maybe the argyle side panel on the pants and some sort of daring, random pattern on the helmets.... instead of stickers for tackles, maybe letter grades.....F, D+ C-, F+ to show the academic emphasis.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-05-2011, 09:39 PM
When did orange become one of the colors of the state of Maryland??? My only guesses are: (1) the yellows and reds from the state flag ran together in the wash; or (2) the Terps are trying to emulate the Orioles ... a baseball team that hasn't had a winning season in nearly 30 years.
Could be an attempt to reduce costs by selecting a color overlooked by others, thus a lower cost.

devildeac
09-05-2011, 09:42 PM

Don't you mean hideous?

DukieInKansas
09-05-2011, 09:46 PM
At least the shoulders match the pattern on the same side of the helmet. They could have gone the opposite way and really messed with the look. :D

DukieInKansas
09-05-2011, 09:48 PM

Don't you mean hideous?

You say potayto, he says potahto. :D

captmojo
09-06-2011, 02:32 AM
Isn't Duke, wearing black, akin to Maryland wearing blue? :confused:

Can you tell I don't like black uniforms?

anon
09-06-2011, 05:19 AM

Hey now. Either get your facts right, or use less subtle hyperbole. The O's made the playoffs in 1997.

But your point is made.

DukieInKansas
09-06-2011, 09:36 AM
I had not noticed the shoes last night. They really set off the rest of the uniforms. :D:D:D

captmojo
09-06-2011, 09:44 AM
...and does this smilie :confused: appear to be a bald Adolph Hitler?

AtlBluRew
09-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Hey now. Either get your facts right, or use less subtle hyperbole. The O's made the playoffs in 1997.

But your point is made.

LOL, I stand corrected! I grew up in Baltimore, in the days of Earl Weaver, Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, Jim Palmer and so many other greats. As a kid, my summer evenings were often spent on the front porch of our row house with my radio, listening to the games. I still look at the standings to see where the Orioles are ... and only two playoff appearances since 1983 is painful ... the few winning seasons in the 90's are drowned out by all the losing.

davekay1971
09-06-2011, 12:34 PM
I was having a great deal of fun picking on the Maryland foot ball unis last night until Maryland won the game. Granted it was at home against a depleted Miami team...but they still looked pretty darn effective running AND throwing the football. Ugly uniforms are alot less ugly on a team that makes a bowl game.

NovaScotian
09-06-2011, 02:30 PM
am i the only one who likes them?

superdave
09-06-2011, 02:39 PM

I thought they were kinda cool for a primetime season opener. I like it when teams try something new like this for one game. Now, if they are to be a permanent fixture they would get old fast.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-06-2011, 02:48 PM
The Maryland uniforms are getting dissed on CNBC today! They are calling them hideous! And UnderArmor's stock is taking a beating, although to be fair, the market is down big today...

mgtr
09-06-2011, 03:24 PM
So, what do you folks think this means for the basketball uniforms? Nothing good, likely.

nmduke2001
09-06-2011, 03:31 PM
I think the Oregon uniforms are unique and cool. Chris Carter said once on ESPN that during his football camps he likes to ask kids where they are interested in going to school. Over the last couple of years he hears Oregon as an answer much more often. He asked why Oregon and the kids told him that they like the uniforms. Maryland, on the other hand, probably hurt recruiting last night.

NovaScotian
09-06-2011, 03:59 PM
I think the Oregon uniforms are unique and cool. Chris Carter said once on ESPN that during his football camps he likes to ask kids where they are interested in going to school. Over the last couple of years he hears Oregon as an answer much more often. He asked why Oregon and the kids told him that they like the uniforms. Maryland, on the other hand, probably hurt recruiting last night.

why? because everybody is talking about them, after a game in which they beat up miami? please...

devildeac
09-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Don't you mean hideous?

The Maryland uniforms are getting dissed on CNBC today! They are calling them hideous! And UnderArmor's stock is taking a beating, although to be fair, the market is down big today...

Hideous? Did they really call them hideous? They must have been reading this thread.:rolleyes:

6th Man
09-06-2011, 04:52 PM
I was listening to ESPN radio this morning and they made an interesting point. Kids today like "Bling". Kids today look at Oregon and Boise State as being cool as opposed to Penn St. and Notre Dame. (Opposite of when I was growing up). It's amazing how a little success and some cool crazy uniforms can change the opinions of kids quickly. Don't get me wrong...I think the Maryland uniforms looked crazy, but I can see the other side of it. Be interesting to see a poll of kids 18 and younger and see what they think of them.

merry
09-06-2011, 04:58 PM

I like them! But then I grew up in Maryland and I really like the state flag. Maryland has one of the very few cool and unique state flags and I like the fact that the University is doing something with it.

-bdbd
09-06-2011, 05:06 PM

YES.

Owwww, that was painful. (Are my eyes bleeding??) Only thing worse would have Boise State's proposal (rejected by their conference) to wear bright blue uniforms (and playing on their bright blue field). Stealth mode? MD's unis were anything but "stealthy." :o

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/09/fear-the-helmet-marylands-new-uniforms-draw-attention/1?csp=hf&loc=interstitialskip

The quote of the night came during the halftime show, when they showed several Tweeted reactions to the unis. From Jay Bilas: "The 70's Astros just issued a press release stating that even THEY wouldn't be caught dead wearing the MD uniforms!"

Ouch.:eek:

kingboozer
09-06-2011, 05:11 PM
i really liked our black uniforms the other night, didn't look quite right with the helmet though, it needs some black trim or maybe a full black alternate helmet for when they wear the black. as for maryland, i applaud them for trying something different, there old unis were kind of drab, these are all about getting noticed, and if you watch, listen, or read espn its all anyones talking about right now so i guess they win that one.

OldPhiKap
09-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Fifteen pieces of flair is the minimum. And we don't want to just do the minimum, do we?

MCFinARL
09-06-2011, 05:55 PM

I like them a lot. though it took me most of the first half to come to that position. Still not completely sure about the helmets, which may have been a bit over the top. I'm not sure I like any of the ones posted in the gallery linked in this thread as much as the ones they actually wore, though. As somebody else pointed out, the uniforms are probably a big success even if most people don't like them, because everyone is talking about them. When is the last time everyone was talking about Maryland football, even at Maryland?

Mal
09-06-2011, 06:31 PM
I have to admit, a part of me thinks these are kind of awesome. And I'm a curmudgeon-in-training and typically very much a traditionalist when it comes to all things style or sporting tradition, or in this case both. But they almost pulled this off, in my humble opinion. I think, if they'd blended the two designs somehow on the helmet, or preferably just had the helmet feature the full state flag on both sides or something, instead of looking a little too much like some kind of split screen, Two Face from Batman schizo thing, this may have been a total thumbs up from my perspective.

In the end, the black and yellow alternating pattern is just too visually annoying to cover half the head, I think, and looks too Arena League/USFL/roller derbyish. So leave it as a shoulder patch on the one side. The red and white thing from the Maryland flag is super cool, though.

Let's face it - Maryland's flag is cooler than just about any other state flag out there. There's no reason not to feature it on the state university's football jersey. And some sort of actual graphic, rather than just an alternating color design, is welcome in my book. Yes, it's clearly risky, but then again, Georgia took what probably sounded like a less risky approach this past weekend, and fared even worse, as far as I'm concerned. Lacking imagination and hideous is worse than hideous but imaginative every time.

If one of two things were true, I wouldn't have any issues with Maryland's trying this, even though they sort of failed: (i) it weren't so obviously a sign of the corporate takeover of the school's athletics by Under Armour, or (ii) this wasn't a one-time p.r. stunt and they were serious about a rebranding. Those are the two problems I have with Oregon's recent approach (which, it can now definitively be said, has been a success, given not just Maryland but all the other copycats it's spawned). If they would have just shaken it up and stuck with something, I could get over the Nike influence. And I could get over the constant meddling with the uni, and the pretty crummy success to failure ratio, if it weren't so obvious that a sports apparel company is using a bunch of college athletes as banners. But not both.

DueBlevil
09-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Ugly uniforms are alot less ugly on a team that makes a bowl game.

Yeah that's the thing. On a team like Oregon, which has such a fast and dynamic offense, having a whole set of bold uniforms is kinda cool and shows a bit of swagger (hate that word but it's the one that comes to mind in this situation). Someone brought up in a post about our black basketball uniforms that they came out in the late 90s/early 00s when kids thought black was cool. Now I think the bright/bold colors are more in style. If maryland ends up being good this season, I think they can get away with these uniforms. On a bad/mediocre team, it would look plain stupid. It's kind of like you have to "earn" the right to wear crazy uniforms.

Duke's black uniform was fine, I'm not sure we really pulled it off because our actual play sort of embarrassed us, but I think we should stick to the basics until we become a little bit respectable at least

CBDUKE
09-06-2011, 06:40 PM
why? because everybody is talking about them, after a game in which they beat up miami? please...

You are correct. Everyone is talking about the uniforms. Who won the game??

DU82
09-06-2011, 06:43 PM
i really liked our black uniforms the other night, didn't look quite right with the helmet though, it needs some black trim or maybe a full black alternate helmet for when they wear the black. as for maryland, i applaud them for trying something different, there old unis were kind of drab, these are all about getting noticed, and if you watch, listen, or read espn its all anyones talking about right now so i guess they win that one.

After we beat Stanford, and a bonfire is started, I trust the team (or equipment managers) will do the right thing and feed the fire with the black uniforms.

I do hope we won't be wearing all black uniforms for a mid-afternoon game with temperatures in the mid/upper 80s.

hudlow
09-06-2011, 07:01 PM
The Maryland State flag would be cool...if it belonged to any other state except Maryland.

hud

jkidd31
09-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Sorry those uni's aren't any worse what I saw during the Georgia/Boise St game. Those were awful.

allenmurray
09-06-2011, 07:18 PM
I have to admit, a part of me thinks these are kind of awesome. And I'm a curmudgeon-in-training and typically very much a traditionalist when it comes to all things style or sporting tradition, or in this case both. But they almost pulled this off, in my humble opinion. I think, if they'd blended the two designs somehow on the helmet, or preferably just had the helmet feature the full state flag on both sides or something, instead of looking a little too much like some kind of split screen, Two Face from Batman schizo thing, this may have been a total thumbs up from my perspective.

I have already achieved full-curmudgeon status, and I liked them as well (all except the shoes). And Maryland does have one of the all-time great state flags (South Carolina, Alaska, and New Mexico are also really nice)

ForkFondler
09-06-2011, 09:15 PM
At least the shoulders match the pattern on the same side of the helmet. They could have gone the opposite way and really messed with the look. :D

I think that would look better -- and it would also more closely resemble the flag.

sagegrouse
09-06-2011, 09:27 PM
I think that would look better -- and it would also more closely resemble the flag.

If you look at the full range of unis, this is only one of 20 looks for Maryland. I bet we don't see it again until the end of the season. It will be used to keep people guessing.

I spent 21 years as a resident and voter in Maryland. I never did understand the state flag. It turns out to be a heritage of George Calvert the Lord Proprietor of the colony. Here's the official explanantion --

Officially adopted by law on March 9, 1904, the Maryland State Flag is the only state flag based on heraldic emblems. The design of the flag is taken from the shield in the coat of arms of the Calvert family, the colonial proprietors of the state of Maryland. The coat of arms adopted by George Calvert, the first Lord Baltimore, included a shield that combined the yellow and black colors of his paternal family and the red and white colors of his maternal family, the Crosslands. (NOTE: There is contention that the red and white colors identified as those of the Crosslands is a misrepresentation. It is said that the colors are those of the Mynne family, the family name of Anne Calvert, wife of George Calvert.)

The arms of the Calvert and Crossland (Mynne) families are displayed in diagonally opposing quadrants of the flag.

So the schizophrenia is due to the founder of the colony, but why, oh why did the Marylanders see fit to adopt it in its diagonal form?

Anyway, I predict that there will be other colorful patterns for the next couple of months but the "flag unis" will appear only at the end of the season.

sagegrouse

captmojo
09-06-2011, 09:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzPsdkTCufs

Looks good on Maryland, though. No problem finding teammates

-bdbd
09-06-2011, 10:34 PM

They talked a lot about the Titanic too.

ArkieDukie
09-06-2011, 10:49 PM

is Under Armour stock taking a beating because of the ugly unis, or because it's now public knowledge that the CEO (or whatever he is) is a Maryland alum? Just saying.

anon
09-07-2011, 02:41 AM
LOL, I stand corrected! I grew up in Baltimore, in the days of Earl Weaver, Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, Jim Palmer and so many other greats. As a kid, my summer evenings were often spent on the front porch of our row house with my radio, listening to the games. I still look at the standings to see where the Orioles are ... and only two playoff appearances since 1983 is painful ... the few winning seasons in the 90's are drowned out by all the losing.

I'd recommend against checking frequent if you hope to maintain a positive outlook on life.

As for the uniforms, I like them. I wouldn't like something like this for Duke, or any private school, really. But I think that wacky uniforms work well for state schools.

I bet being Under Armour's guinea pigs works out financially for UMD, too, just like it works well for us to be Nike's guinea pigs.

SmartDevil
09-07-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't hate the uniforms per se but I think there are too many combinations--and some combinations are far inferior to others......and, also, because there are so many combinations, there's no sense of team identity.

elvis14
09-07-2011, 04:41 PM
I was OK with the uni's they wore the other night. When I checked the link posted and saw some of the other possible uni's to be used, I thought most (perhaps ALL) of them were better than the Tommy Two-Face uni's the Terps wore in the first game. The pattern from the state flag looks pretty cool on some of those uniforms.

Oregon's uniforms are pretty consistently awesome! Note, I don't want every team to have lots of uni's. I like classic as well. It's be a travesty if Penn State took the Oregon route and I don't think that route would be good for Duke at all. At the same time, I think it's OK for a few schools to have a handful of fresh looks. Oregon's identity isn't that one classic uniform, it's that they are the school with the cool uniforms, and some folks look forward to seeing what's next. I also love that fast paced offense!

DukieInKansas
09-26-2011, 09:46 AM
So - which was uglier on Saturday - the Maryland uniforms or the way they played football?

I probably didn't give Temple enough credit before the game for being a football school. But 38-7?

DueBlevil
09-26-2011, 09:55 AM
So - which was uglier on Saturday - the Maryland uniforms or the way they played football?

I probably didn't give Temple enough credit before the game for being a football school. But 38-7?

Yeah now that Maryland is playing poorly, their uniforms have gone from "hey that's kind of cool" to "stop with the stupid uniforms and play football"

SmartDevil
09-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Yeah now that Maryland is playing poorly, their uniforms have gone from "hey that's kind of cool" to "stop with the stupid uniforms and play football"

I neither like nor dislike the new uniforms. But....

1. I understand that Under Armour is trying to make a splash and develop as a major player in the football uniform market. Attention makes people talk. And the old maxim is there's no such thing as bad publicity.

2. I do think there are too many combinations.

3. Maryland may be missing Big Ralph more than they realized they would. And we know Ralph would have kept all his focus on the field of play rather than devoting any of it to fashion issues.

weezie
09-26-2011, 02:20 PM
It's become a late week suspense-filled announcement on the newscasts in the DC-MD-VA area.
"What a the twerps going to wear this weekend!?"
Sort of like a sorority mixer fashion show.

SmartDevil
09-26-2011, 09:38 PM
It's become a late week suspense-filled announcement on the newscasts in the DC-MD-VA area.
"What a the twerps going to wear this weekend!?"
Sort of like a sorority mixer fashion show.

Well, for what its worth, Weezie, D.C.'s annual fashion week just wound up this past wknd. Wonder what the fashion critics would have had to say about the "Terrapin Collection?"

But you're right indeed....quite a number of this season's D.C. area broadcast sports teasers ("back after a word from our sponsor") have focused on "what will the Terps be wearing this weeknd?"

Turk
09-29-2011, 01:26 AM

I bumped into a Temple grad; he was gracious enough to give a pass to the Twerps on their hideous unis as merely a sign of the times in which we live, where any school can be talked into doing just about any stupid thing if you write them a check that is big enough. But the biggest blunder in his eyes was the juvenile stunt of hogging the whole field for warmups, which I had heard about even before the story was linked on the DBR headlines.

Apparently there is some residual bad blood between the new Twerps coach and Temple from his UConn days. But the Temple practices on a field in North Philly wedged between a housing project and the Northeast Corridor railroad tracks, so trying to intimidate them with the warmup stunt was almost guaranteed to backfire, especially after they outplayed Penn State the previous week, only to let the game slip away at the end...

Temple was already primed to kick butt, and Maryland should spend more time practicing football than modeling for Ugly Uniform Fashion Week and trying to play silly mind games. Stay classy, my friends...

Newton_14
09-29-2011, 09:25 PM

Both were bad, but judge for yourself! (View with caution)

BD80
09-29-2011, 09:29 PM
If the concept is so good, why don't they do the home field in the same colors/patterns? A turf version of Oregon's court. The Md flag writ large in modern terms. Hi def tvs would explode.

hudlow
09-30-2011, 09:26 AM
They look like Roller Derby uniforms.