PDA

View Full Version : Ty Walker suspension update

jimsumner
09-02-2011, 10:03 AM
From Wake Forest press release

"Senior center Ty Walker has been found responsible for violating the Wake Forest University student code of conduct. Among the sanctions assigned is the prohibition of participating in intercollegiate athletic contests throughout the fall semester.

Walker will be permitted to participate in all practices and workouts during this period of time. Following the completion of fall semester classes, Walker will first be eligible to compete in the Dec. 10 contest at Seton Hall.

“We are obviously disappointed in the poor decisions that Ty has made, but we are thankful that he will be able to complete his senior year, graduate from Wake Forest in the spring and also contribute to our basketball team this season,” said head coach Jeff Bzdelik.

Walker was suspended from the team indefinitely on July 11 for a violation of departmental rules.

“I want to apologize to my teammates, coaches and all of the Wake Forest fans,” said Walker. “I regret my actions, and I am looking forward to putting this behind me and completing my senior year at Wake Forest. I intend to work my hardest in practice this fall to earn my way back into the lineup and help make this a great season for Demon Deacon basketball.” "

roywhite
09-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Not privy to the internal discussions at WFU about this suspension, but I wonder if Walker's penalty is typical of what would happen to an undergrad who was not a varsity athlete?

At any rate, if Walker is being sincere in his efforts, I wish him well.

ACCBBallFan
09-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Hopefully, Ty Walker has learned his lesson and shows some maturity for the youthful Demon Deacons.

He and former g-town transfer Nikita Meschariakov are the only seniors and CJ Harris and Spencer Jennings who I have never heard of are the only juniors.

That said, Wake should at least be better than GA Tech and BC, and battle with MD for 9th and 10th in ACC league of 12.

I believe the other guy who was suspended, soph. Melvin Tabb, has transferred.

http://runthefloor.com/articles/wake-forest-demon-deacons/2011-12-acc-basketball-9-wake-forest.html

jimsumner
09-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Hopefully, Ty Walker has learned his lesson and shows some maturity for the youthful Demon Deacons.

He and former g-town transfer Nikita Meschariakov are the only seniors and CJ Harris and Spencer Jennings who I have never heard of are the only juniors.

That said, Wake should at least be better than GA Tech and BC, and battle with MD for 9th and 10th in ACC league of 12.

I believe the other guy who was suspended, soph. Melvin Tabb, has transferred.

http://runthefloor.com/articles/wake-forest-demon-deacons/2011-12-acc-basketball-9-wake-forest.html

Tabb did a lot more than transfer.

http://www2.journalnow.com/news/2011/aug/10/wake-forest-basketball-player-tabb-facing-criminal-ar-1284371/

OldPhiKap
09-04-2011, 05:54 PM

http://www2.journalnow.com/news/2011/aug/10/wake-forest-basketball-player-tabb-facing-criminal-ar-1284371/

Sounds like he may be, um, transferring to a state institution.

I recommend UCon.

OPK

ACCBBallFan
09-04-2011, 05:58 PM

Guess his DNA tranferred and he got caught.

ACCBBallFan
09-05-2011, 08:14 PM
"Guard J.T. Terrell is withdrawing from Wake Forest and leaving the basketball team after he was charged with driving while impaired."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/6933613/jt-terrell-leaves-wake-forest-demon-deacons-following-dwi-arrest

Did not want to start a new thread.

So a last place team loses 3 of its top 5 scorers in J T Terrell, Gary Clark and Ari Stewart, and does not gets its shot blocker Ty Walker back until December 10. Melvin Tabb probably playing for state penn instead of Penn St.

J T was a bit confused over whether he or Travis McKie was the go to guy. So that problem is resolved.

They get Tony Chennault as PG, CJ Harris as SG, and have to go with Carson Desrosiers at center until Walker gets back. Not sure who their 5th starter will be.

Short on players but they are probably still 10th in ACC ahead of GA Tech and BC, right where they would have been with JT Terrell, but maybe one or two less ACC wins that I had projected at 5 wins - 11 losses, still have four ACC games versus GA Tech and BC.

Let's hope JT makes better decisions in future. Not the first college kid to get a DUI. At least no one was injured and hopefully he adapts.

BC has one senior transfer, one junior transfer, two role player sophs and 8 frosh.

GA Tech only senior is a veteran walk on Nick Foreman, Udofia and Rice Jr are pretty good players but Travis McKie is better, and front line of Daniel Miller, and Kammeron Holsey, fairly even with Wake for second worst in ACC behind BC.

GA Tech has an extremely favorable ACC unbalanced schedule with home and home against all the other bottom half of ACC and only play the top 6 ACC teams once. Just not sure they are good enough to beat any of them except BC at home and Wake or maybe MD or NC St at home. Even when they were better, Wranmbling Wreck never won on the road and it has been a long time since they were any better than 7-9 in ACC.

Losing Shumpert to NBA, Mo Miller to graduation and Brian Oliver to tranfer leaves them pretty barren, even with the addition by subtraction of Paul Hewitt.

loldevilz
09-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Really really sad to hear about Terrell. It would be really unfortunate if he had psychological or drug problems. Those kind of things can really derail someone especially at his age. I pray he gets everything worked out so he can come back and finish his college career.

Olympic Fan
09-06-2011, 12:34 AM
"Guard J.T. Terrell is withdrawing from Wake Forest and leaving the basketball team after he was charged with driving while impaired."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/6933613/jt-terrell-leaves-wake-forest-demon-deacons-following-dwi-arrest

Did not want to start a new thread.

So a last place team loses 3 of its top 5 scorers in J T Terrell, Gary Clark and Ari Stewart, and does not gets its shot blocker Ty Walker back until December 10. Melvin Tabb probably playing for state penn instead of Penn St.

J T was a bit confused over whether he or Travis McKie was the go to guy. So that problem is resolved.

They get Tony Chennault as PG, CJ Harris as SG, and have to go with Carson Desrosiers at center until Walker gets back. Not sure who their 5th starter will be.

Short on players but they are probably still 10th in ACC ahead of GA Tech and BC, right where they would have been with JT Terrell, but maybe one or two less ACC wins that I had projected at 5 wins - 11 losses, still have four ACC games versus GA Tech and BC.

Let's hope JT makes better decisions in future. Not the first college kid to get a DUI. At least no one was injured and hopefully he adapts.

BC has one senior transfer, one junior transfer, two role player sophs and 8 frosh.

GA Tech only senior is a veteran walk on Nick Foreman, Udofia and Rice Jr are pretty good players but Travis McKie is better, and front line of Daniel Miller, and Kammeron Holsey, fairly even with Wake for second worst in ACC behind BC.

GA Tech has an extremely favorable ACC unbalanced schedule with home and home against all the other bottom half of ACC and only play the top 6 ACC teams once. Just not sure they are good enough to beat any of them except BC at home and Wake or maybe MD or NC St at home. Even when they were better, Wranmbling Wreck never won on the road and it has been a long time since they were any better than 7-9 in ACC.

Losing Shumpert to NBA, Mo Miller to graduation and Brian Oliver to tranfer leaves them pretty barren, even with the addition by subtraction of Paul Hewitt.

I still like Georgia Tech better than Wake next season. Yeah, they lost a lot, but they start with two veteran guards -- Jason Morris and Mfon Udofia -- one very talented wing -- Glen Rice Jr. -- and three young big men (Daniel Miller, Kammeon Holsey and Nate Hicks) who are better than Wake's two (Desrosier and Walker). They add a transfer guard who averaged 15.1 points a game as a freshman at Arkansas State two years ago (Brandon Reed) and a promising freshman wing player (Julian Royal).

Plus, I think Gregory is a far better coach that Bzdelik.

Wake returns a nice combo guard in CJ Harris and a promising young forward in Travis McKie. Chennault may have potential, but he didn't show it last season. Desrosiers is still a year away from being a decent ACC big man (he's a little better than Georgia Tech's Hicks ... not quite as good as Georgia Tech's Miller). Ty Walker, when he becomes eligible, can block shots, but can't rebound or contribute on offense. They are adding a small, quick freshman point in Fields and a wing scorer in Chase Fischer who was a phenomenal scorer in high school. I suspect that he's the fifth starter.

At that, I agree that BC is at the bottom -- Rubin and Moten are the only returning players and they averaged 6.6 points COMBINED last season. Their senior transfer hasn't played in two years because of injuries and is reportedly still hobbled (and he averaged just 3.1 points in 2009 at Lafayette). Their junior transfer is probably their best player -- Matt Humphrey averaged 5.4 points and 2.5 rebounds at Oregon in 2010. They have two top 200 recruits. The only point guard on the roster is 5-8, 135-pounds.

If Donohue gets that group to finish anywhere other than last place, he ought to be coach of the year.

To me, that's a clearcut bottom three. I did have Maryland in the same mix, but still 9th because Stoglin and Howard and Mosely ought to be a quality backcourt trio. And now that Turgeon has added the 7-2 German kid, I think they're probably closer to 8th than 10th.

OldPhiKap
09-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Wow, another wretched year for the conference overall.

GT will rebuild over time, but this year is gonna be tough. Not sure if someone mentioned the fact that they have no home games this year -- playing in Phillips or out in Gwinnett Co. -- and they had poor student support last year as is.

Wake, the wheels have come off. Not sure how they rebuild. W-S is not a huge draw.

BC should be better than they are -- jury still out on the new coach.

UVa is on upswing. Md? Should be but who knows.

State's gotta get better than they've been.

Yuck.

roywhite
09-06-2011, 01:27 PM
I still like Georgia Tech better than Wake next season. Yeah, they lost a lot, but they start with two veteran guards -- Jason Morris and Mfon Udofia -- one very talented wing -- Glen Rice Jr. -- and three young big men (Daniel Miller, Kammeon Holsey and Nate Hicks) who are better than Wake's two (Desrosier and Walker). They add a transfer guard who averaged 15.1 points a game as a freshman at Arkansas State two years ago (Brandon Reed) and a promising freshman wing player (Julian Royal).

Plus, I think Gregory is a far better coach that Bzdelik.

Wake returns a nice combo guard in CJ Harris and a promising young forward in Travis McKie. Chennault may have potential, but he didn't show it last season. Desrosiers is still a year away from being a decent ACC big man (he's a little better than Georgia Tech's Hicks ... not quite as good as Georgia Tech's Miller). Ty Walker, when he becomes eligible, can block shots, but can't rebound or contribute on offense. They are adding a small, quick freshman point in Fields and a wing scorer in Chase Fischer who was a phenomenal scorer in high school. I suspect that he's the fifth starter.

At that, I agree that BC is at the bottom -- Rubin and Moten are the only returning players and they averaged 6.6 points COMBINED last season. Their senior transfer hasn't played in two years because of injuries and is reportedly still hobbled (and he averaged just 3.1 points in 2009 at Lafayette). Their junior transfer is probably their best player -- Matt Humphrey averaged 5.4 points and 2.5 rebounds at Oregon in 2010. They have two top 200 recruits. The only point guard on the roster is 5-8, 135-pounds.

If Donohue gets that group to finish anywhere other than last place, he ought to be coach of the year.

To me, that's a clearcut bottom three. I did have Maryland in the same mix, but still 9th because Stoglin and Howard and Mosely ought to be a quality backcourt trio. And now that Turgeon has added the 7-2 German kid, I think they're probably closer to 8th than 10th.

Seems like a good assessment of the bottom end.

Just talked with a friend who is pretty well plugged in at Wake and he views the loss of Tabb, Terrell, and even Walker as "addition by subtraction". To be sure, the jury is still out on Bzdelik and at best it would require considerable patience for him to get this program to the middle of the conference or better.

ACCBBallFan
09-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Hi OlympicFan.

I agree Wake and GA Tech will be pretty close with whoever wins 4 ACC games getting the nod over the other who wins 3. Both will finish ahead of BC who should celebrate if they win 2 ACC games. Ga Tech and Wake will be behind MD for reaons you cited, and also behind State and Clemson et al.

The other guy on Wake I forgot to mention is former G-town transfer Nikita Meschariakov, who only became eligible second semester last year. He shows some talent but was inconsistent with a lot of turnovers.

Tony Chennault did not do much because he was injured most of the year. Your assessment of Jason Morris may be a tad optimistic, though his stats were anbout same as Udofia who I do expect to break out somewhat this year and same as Mo Miller last year.

Wake Forest will by no means be good, but won't be as awful as last year. Having CJ Harris at SG instead of PG will help him as will having McKie be the clear go to guy. Their coach may have coached in NBA but has been in charge of some pretty crappy college teams, perennial cellar dwellers.

I agree Wake, GA Tech and BC despite their easy unbalanced schedules, will be teams 10, 11 and 12 in some order.

They are all pretty bad, but since they each face one another home and away, somebody has to get the W. So that's 6 wins to spread across the three teams whose grand total may not reach double digits, the mirror image of ACC top where sum of UNC. Duke and FSU losses could be less than 10.

jimsumner
09-06-2011, 07:40 PM
This may sound mean but it could be that the best thing that could happen to the ACC this year is having none of the bottom three beating anyone other than each other. Get some bubble teams with better records. A bubble team losing to BC would be an RPI killer.

And, of course, the entire league will suffer and RPI hit if the bottom three are as bad in non-conference games as seems likely. Wake's OOC woes pole-axed the ACC's RPI last season. Two more Wakes and it is ouch!

Big time.

OldPhiKap
09-06-2011, 09:53 PM
This may sound mean but it could be that the best thing that could happen to the ACC this year is having none of the bottom three beating anyone other than each other. Get some bubble teams with better records. A bubble team losing to BC would be an RPI killer.

And, of course, the entire league will suffer and RPI hit if the bottom three are as bad in non-conference games as seems likely. Wake's OOC woes pole-axed the ACC's RPI last season. Two more Wakes and it is ouch!

Big time.

Somehow, VTech will still get left out. Heh.