PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie's Life Expectancy Vigil

OZZIE4DUKE
08-30-2011, 09:07 AM
OK, just kidding about the thread title, but I'd like to commend Kyrie for returning to Duke during the NBA lockout to take classes.

You stop playing when you’re around 35 so you’ve got another 60 more years to live, and I’ve got to do something. This education is going to help me.”
He's right, he may live into his 90's, or longer. My dad is 97, my mom 81. My grandparents all lived into their 80's. I'm 57 and feel like I'm almost (maybe) halfway there, wherever "there" is. With today's emphasis on healthy living and advances in medicine, barring accidents and "destructive behavior", a large proportion of today's young people will live into their 90's and beyond. So props to Kyrie! :cool: Now he can enjoy life as a true college student (and be a Cameron Crazie!) without the rigors of college basketball interfering with it! ;) OK, that last sentence was said partly tongue in cheek... ! He won't have to stand in line or camp out to get into Cameron for the carolina game to get a good seat (if the lockout lasts the entire season and into the spring semester).

BigWil06
08-30-2011, 09:14 AM
I think that was Kyrie's Cleveland teammate, Tristan Thompson, that made that quote...

OZZIE4DUKE
08-30-2011, 09:31 AM
I think that was Kyrie's Cleveland teammate, Tristan Thompson, that made that quote...
You're right. My mistake. Darn. The quote is incorrectly attributed, but the point still holds. And I hope that Kyrie lives into his 90's.

DukieInKansas
08-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Welcome back to Duke, Kyrie. I'm really glad to see him take this opportunity to go to school and work towards graduation as he reportedly promised his father.

roywhite
08-30-2011, 09:51 AM
You're right. My mistake. Darn. The quote is incorrectly attributed, but the point still holds. And I hope that Kyrie lives into his 90's.

Agree. Don't know if folks recall reading it, but Kyrie's mom passed away from illness when he was just 4 years old.
Don't know what the nature of the illness was, or if it means that Kyrie has some risk factors associated with her health history.
At any rate, I'm sure he is aware of how precious life is, and how there are few guarantees.

I'm glad to hear that he is enrolled and spending his time in Durham with classmates and former teammates.

Indoor66
08-30-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm glad to hear that he is enrolled and spending his time in Durham with classmates and former teammates.

His games with the rest of the team cannot but help both our offense and defense.

roywhite
08-30-2011, 11:51 AM
His games with the rest of the team cannot but help both our offense and defense.

Someone may want to clarify or confirm, but my understanding is that Kyrie is not permitted to participate in regular practices, but could play in non-supervised pickup games.
Which would be the same for Grant Hill or Redick or any of the ex-players who are now pros.

Bluedog
08-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Someone may want to clarify or confirm, but my understanding is that Kyrie is not permitted to participate in regular practices, but could play in non-supervised pickup games.
Which would be the same for Grant Hill or Redick or any of the ex-players who are now pros.

I believe you're right. However, perhaps Kyrie could become a volunteer assistant coach in some capacity if the labor dispute continues to go on without an end in sight. Although I think there's a limit to the number of assistants and I'd imagine we're already at the cap. That's what tennis star Mallory Cecil did after turning pro and subsequently returning to Duke. She is now able to practice and train with the team at all times as a volunteer assistant coach - she just can't play in the matches

Indoor66
08-30-2011, 12:51 PM

I think you are correct. I was referring to pick-up games between now and October and official practices. That is about 6+ weeks! A lot of ball to be played on the pick-up courts.

lpd1982
08-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Kyrie joined The Inferno this week! That means he signed up (and paid) to be part of the the Duke fan club that attends sports events for MANY Duke sports. (Don't mean to overshare but I mean to compliment him on his efforts at being a full student this year). Setting a great example.

HaveFunExpectToWin
08-30-2011, 01:48 PM

I propose he come up with an incredible disguise (like a fake nose or mustache) and join the team as a walk on. Perhaps he can pretend to be a long lost Davidson brother come to follow his brothers footsteps.

After the season's over, a hilarious 80s-style movie can be made based on the story. Maybe the Wayans can produce it.

weezie
08-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Maybe he'd like to sit across from the bench and experience being a Crazie.

CameronBornAndBred
08-30-2011, 02:15 PM
I will always be proud of the job he did of being a Crazie while ON the bench. He was one of the best cheerleaders the team had last year.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-30-2011, 02:31 PM
I will always be proud of the job he did of being a Crazie while ON the bench. He was one of the best cheerleaders the team had last year.
Maybe he'd like to tailgate in Blue Devil Alley this season... :cool:

OldPhiKap
08-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Maybe he'd like to tailgate in Blue Devil Alley this season... :cool:

Remember -- he's not 21 yet.

Will be able to buy a jet, but not a beer.

devildeac
08-30-2011, 03:33 PM

I hope you meant one of the best male cheerleaders the team had last year. I'm kinda partial to the "official" squad, one brunette in particular:>)). (Dang smilies are so ugly and distorted sometimes my laptop can't even transpose them into my posts. Grr...)

hudlow
08-30-2011, 03:35 PM
Live long and prosper.

SharkD
08-30-2011, 03:48 PM
I propose he come up with an incredible disguise (like a fake nose or mustache) and join the team as a walk on. Perhaps he can pretend to be a long lost Davidson brother come to follow his brothers footsteps.

After the season's over, a hilarious 80s-style movie can be made based on the story. Maybe the Wayans can produce it.

I can hear the player introductions now: "...at guard, a 6'4" Sophomore walk-on, from Shmelizabeth City, Shmew Jersey: Shmyrie Shmirving!"

I'm sure the NCAA will never be the wiser... especially with the boat-load of shenanigans afoot, down 15-501 and I-95.

rsvman
08-30-2011, 04:46 PM
I can hear the player introductions now: "...at guard, a 6'4" Sophomore walk-on, from Shmelizabeth City, Shmew Jersey: Shmyrie Shmirving!"

When my kids and I are goofing off shooting hoops in the driveway we always introduce the "ringer" by transposing the initials of the first and last names. Examples: "Now entering the game is R.R. Jedick," or "....Bane Shattier," etc. Using this model, it would be "Eye-ree Kirving."

MChambers
08-30-2011, 05:13 PM
If Cook's knee isn't healed, maybe Kyrie could play wearing Quinn's uni . . .

DevilWearsPrada
08-31-2011, 12:08 AM

If the NBA is still in Lockout status, as a Duke student, Kyrie has the opportunity to TENT in KVILLE for great standing seats in the Cameron Crazie section. He should be in Tent #1, since he wore #1 jersey last season.

So glad Kyrie is in class and fulfilling his requirements towards his degree, as he promised his Father, he would do.

SoCalDukeFan
08-31-2011, 07:31 PM
OK, just kidding about the thread title, but I'd like to commend Kyrie for returning to Duke during the NBA lockout to take classes.

He's right, he may live into his 90's, or longer. My dad is 97, my mom 81. My grandparents all lived into their 80's. I'm 57 and feel like I'm almost (maybe) halfway there, wherever "there" is. With today's emphasis on healthy living and advances in medicine, barring accidents and "destructive behavior", a large proportion of today's young people will live into their 90's and beyond. So props to Kyrie! :cool: Now he can enjoy life as a true college student (and be a Cameron Crazie!) without the rigors of college basketball interfering with it! ;) OK, that last sentence was said partly tongue in cheek... ! He won't have to stand in line or camp out to get into Cameron for the carolina game to get a good seat (if the lockout lasts the entire season and into the spring semester).

The sentiment is great.

We have a guy at our golf club who just turned 90. He has about at 17 handicap and shoots his age many many times. He put on a golf/dinner party for himself. Said that we would do it again at 95, then 100 at Pebble Beach, then the big party in 25 years when the would be 115 and probably the oldest man in the world.

SoCal

davekay1971
09-01-2011, 09:23 AM
However, perhaps Kyrie could become a volunteer assistant coach in some capacity if the labor dispute continues to go on without an end in sight.

Maybe he can be our big man coach! :D

I know Kyrie can walk into Cameron and stand right behind the Duke bench, but I would LOVE to see Kyrie camping out in K-Ville. That would be awesome, and may elevate him right up to being my all-time favorite Duke basketball player. If you do it, though, Kyrie, take it from my experiences...don't use tequila shots to stay warm the night before a game...Ohhh my head hurts just remembering that hangover!

burnspbesq
09-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Or he could be a practice player for the women's team. Chelsea and Chloe would certainly benefit from the high level of comp on a daily basis.

MCFinARL
09-02-2011, 08:17 AM

Can Kyrie use the Cameron facilities that are reserved for the teams, work independently with Duke coaches and trainers to stay fit, etc., as long as he does not practice with the team? Presumably he will need to be doing some high-level conditioning and drill work throughout the semester in case the lockout ends.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Can Kyrie use the Cameron facilities that are reserved for the teams, work independently with Duke coaches and trainers to stay fit, etc., as long as he does not practice with the team? Presumably he will need to be doing some high-level conditioning and drill work throughout the semester in case the lockout ends.
Sure, why not? He's a student at Duke and would have access to any facility that a Duke student could use. Who he is will get him special access and privileges, but seeing as he is not playing as an amateur athlete in NCAA competition, it wouldn't be violating any of there (NCAA) rules.

roywhite
09-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Some lucky IM team could have a pretty good PG.

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2011, 03:31 PM
I saw Kyrie at the game on Saturday..although he was walking the wrong way from Cameron! Still, he had his all around smile and was shaking hands as he headed towards campus. Caught me off guard since I forgot he had returned to school. Assuming the lockout is still on, will he be doing anything with the team this season? He was such a great cheerleader and teacher while sitting on the bench; I could only think he would be an asset in practice.

MCFinARL
09-12-2011, 07:02 PM
I saw Kyrie at the game on Saturday..although he was walking the wrong way from Cameron! Still, he had his all around smile and was shaking hands as he headed towards campus. Caught me off guard since I forgot he had returned to school. Assuming the lockout is still on, will he be doing anything with the team this season? He was such a great cheerleader and teacher while sitting on the bench; I could only think he would be an asset in practice.

Pretty sure this was covered somewhere earlier in the thread (or another thread?). IIRC, he can't practice with the team; he could perhaps be a volunteer assistant coach but there might be issues about whether Duke has the maximum number of coaches already; he can, apparently, use the facilities and/or consult with coaches or training staff for his own fitness program.