PDA

View Full Version : The Boys Are Home From China/Dubai

Newton_14
08-27-2011, 10:44 PM
The guys touched down at RDU this morning at 7:16AM and are likely getting much needed rest from a long trip. Cool article below that details how they spent their last day in Dubai and the trip home. Flew to Ireland, then Maine, then finally home to RDU trying to beat Irene home.

Glad to know they arrived safe and sound!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205251253&DB_OEM_ID=4200

roywhite
08-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the update.

Didn't realize it at the time, but Mrs. Roywhite and I just missed the Devils at the Bangor airport. We were there early Saturday morning on a return from a New England vacation.
We certainly enjoyed Monhegan Island, Acadia National Park, Lubec, and such, but a chance encounter with the Duke crew would have been great fun.

Just caught up on my DVR watching of the China and UAE games. Good job, guys, and welcome home.

KenTankerous
08-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Good to hear the kids, coaches, support staff and lucky fans who traveled with them are back home safe and sound. The best part of traveling is the wonderful sense of coming home.

Welcome back Fellas! thanks for the great start. It's gonna be another magical year!

mgtr
08-28-2011, 07:54 AM
All the folks on the trip should get special "wings" for spending many hours on airplanes. They must have been on planes a total of at least 30-40 hours (a guess). The players are 20 or so, they can survive anything. But the fans were not 20, and they had to survive it too. Tough duty.

KenTankerous
08-28-2011, 08:11 AM
All the folks on the trip should get special "wings" for spending many hours on airplanes. They must have been on planes a total of at least 30-40 hours (a guess). The players are 20 or so, they can survive anything. But the fans were not 20, and they had to survive it too. Tough duty.

With all due respect, and yeah, I understand the fatigue of travel but jet-setting around the globe with one of the elite student-athletic organizations ever to grace the planet is not exactly digging ditches in the southern humidity ahead of Hurricane Irene, worrying you aren't gonna get finished in time but needing to make sure you get enough hours to pay the electric bill.

But then, tough is relative I suppose. And Duty, well, yeah that too...

jdj4duke
08-28-2011, 08:45 AM
All the folks on the trip should get special "wings" for spending many hours on airplanes. They must have been on planes a total of at least 30-40 hours (a guess).........But the fans were not 20, and they had to survive it too. Tough duty.

Oh, please. This wasn't a forced march but an opportunity for some of our more well-heeled fans. Lucky for them and I wish I had the chance to go along.

30 or 40 hours on a plane over the course of nearly a couple of weeks? Big whoo. Lucky they could manage to recover in some pretty fine hotels. They sure didn't look worse for the wear at the games.

There are thousands of people who travel more hours, under what are surely more inconvenient or uncomfortable conditions ( of course me included) for any number of reasons. I guarantee that a 10 day trip to three countries in Asia is a lot more taxing than a junket with the Blue Devil basketball team where i suspect pretty much every detail was planned and handled for them That junket ain't tough duty. Really- great for them but I have a pretty hard time working up any sympathy for the rigors of the trip. I am sure it was a blast.