PDA

View Full Version : DBR article on Dubai game, Ramadan, & time difference

cbarry
08-25-2011, 07:19 AM
I was a bit confused when I read the article on DBR about the UAE team fasting and today's game in Dubai. The game is at 1:30pm Eastern Daylight Time (EDT not EST), which, according to Google, is 8 hours ahead of us on the East Coast.

So, the game time will be at 9:30pm DUBAI time. Another Google search shows sundown to be at 6:45pm, Dubai time, today, allowing the opponents plenty of time (over 2 1/2 hours) to eat prior to the game. Am I missing something? It appears that Ramadan would be a non-factor in this game.

MCFinARL
08-25-2011, 08:09 AM
I was a bit confused when I read the article on DBR about the UAE team fasting and today's game in Dubai. The game is at 1:30pm Eastern Daylight Time (EDT not EST), which, according to Google, is 8 hours ahead of us on the East Coast.

So, the game time will be at 9:30pm DUBAI time. Another Google search shows sundown to be at 6:45pm, Dubai time, today, allowing the opponents plenty of time (over 2 1/2 hours) to eat prior to the game. Am I missing something? It appears that Ramadan would be a non-factor in this game.

If I understood the post correctly, the issue was not that the Dubai team would not be able to eat at all before the game, but that the timing of eating would be off from a normal athlete's schedule. If you went, say, 12 hours without eating anything and then had a meal two hours before playing, your store of energy reserves, etc., would likely be a lot different than if you ate two or three meals spread over the course of that time period as you normally would.