PDA

View Full Version : Richmond football coach resigns

jimsumner
08-23-2011, 10:23 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/richmonds-latrell-scott-has-resigned-as-head-football-coach-lineburg-is-named-interim-coach/2011/08/23/gIQAGJeeZJ_story.html

-bdbd
08-24-2011, 02:01 AM
One would think that this bodes well for the Devils in their opener in 1.5 weeks, no? Can't hurt our chances.

You have to feel for the kids though, as it isn't what any of them signed up for. And the new coach is going to be pretty overwhelmed for a while...

OldPhiKap
08-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Sorry to see that. I am sure it is an unhappy situation for all involved.

Go Duke!

sagegrouse
08-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Sorry to see that. I am sure it is an unhappy situation for all involved.

Go Duke!

Odd situation. Prior DWI 5-10 years ago (also in Richmond - Henrico County). Cautioned on being hired in December 2009 that it should not be repeated. This still seems like an extreme step and unfair to the football players at Richmond. A suspension or a fine would seem more appropriate, unless....

There were other issues. Hmmmm... last year's Spiders were 6-5 and lost 41-3 in their last game to Bill and Mary. I wonder if there were on-field performance issues or leadership problems with Latrell Scott.

Doing my exhaustive research on this topic ;) , I uncovered the fact that Richmond plays it home games in on-campus Robins Stadium that seats only 8,700. Wow! What's up with that? I thought Richmond was upgrading to becoming a full-fledged Div I team. By comparison, here are stadium capacities for comparable schools:

The Citadel (Charleston) - 21,000
Furman (Greenville, SC) - 16,000
Bill and Mary (Williamsburg) - 12,259
VMI (Lexington) - 10,000

sagegrouse

Acymetric
08-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Odd situation. Prior DWI 5-10 years ago (also in Richmond - Henrico County). Cautioned on being hired in December 2009 that it should not be repeated. This still seems like an extreme step and unfair to the football players at Richmond. A suspension or a fine would seem more appropriate, unless....

There were other issues. Hmmmm... last year's Spiders were 6-5 and lost 41-3 in their last game to Bill and Mary. I wonder if there were on-field performance issues or leadership problems with Latrell Scott.

Doing my exhaustive research on this topic ;) , I uncovered the fact that Richmond plays it home games in on-campus Robins Stadium that seats only 8,700. Wow! What's up with that? I thought Richmond was upgrading to becoming a full-fledged Div I team. By comparison, here are stadium capacities for comparable schools:

VMI (Lexington) - 10,000

sagegrouse

I don't think there's as much to it as you say. You don't want your coach getting DUIs...how many active coaches have multiple DUIs in football? I think he's getting the expected treatment here, and only a great coach would warrant consideration for leniency (a suspension).

uh_no
08-24-2011, 04:43 PM
I don't think there's as much to it as you say. You don't want your coach getting DUIs...how many active coaches have multiple DUIs in football? I think he's getting the expected treatment here, and only a great coach would warrant consideration for leniency (a suspension).

It would send the wrong message.....if a guy on the team got a DUI, it would seem he'd like be shown the door, the standards of character for the coach should be as high, if not higher.

oldnavy
08-24-2011, 05:00 PM
It would send the wrong message.....if a guy on the team got a DUI, it would seem he'd like be shown the door, the standards of character for the coach should be as high, if not higher.

Coaches should be held to a much higher standard IMO. Especially in this case since this is not his first one. Hopefully this will be a life changing event and he will stop driving drunk before he kills someone. Maybe it will take him losing his job and public disgrace to get the message. Hope so.

Reilly
08-24-2011, 10:21 PM

VMI (Lexington) - 10,000

sagegrouse

1. Not an "odd" situation. Sad. Preventable. But not odd. Scott had a DWI in 2004 (not in Richmond/Henrico area, but in Rockbridge County, close to VMI and W&L (he coached at VMI)).

2. As you note, he was cautioned. Don't know what's so extreme about telling someone they are getting one second chance, then actually following up on that. In addition, Scott had a speeding ticket and a wrong turn ticket.

3. There are no other issues. UR was 6-5 last year and battled lots of injuries. This year, they are the pre-season #16 team in the country in one poll. Their QB is former Southern Cal starter Aaron Corp. They have hopes of getting back to the playoffs, though in a tough conference. So, no on-field issues. The 'leadership' issue is failing to set a good example by getting two DWI charges in 6 years. Period.

4. What is up w/ the 8700 seat stadium is that UR just built it and is very proud of it and it looks really nice. They used to play in a larger, off-campus venue that didn't work well for them.

5. Richmond is a full-fledged Division I team. There is Division I, II and III in the NCAA. Division I has two subdivisions: FBS and FCS.

6. Neat to see stadium capacities for comparable schools. Here's actual attendance - note that UR drew 8.5K and Furman drew 10.5K. Not a lot of difference:
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2010.pdf

I'm not a Richmond fan, Sage, and I usually enjoy your posts a lot ... just saw a lot that needed correcting on this one.

sagegrouse
08-24-2011, 11:24 PM
5. Richmond is a full-fledged Division I team. There is Division I, II and III in the NCAA. Division I has two subdivisions: FBS and FCS.

I'm not a Richmond fan, Sage, and I usually enjoy your posts a lot ... just saw a lot that needed correcting on this one.

Noted. Should have said full-fledged IA program (vice IAA). Yeah, I know the designations have changed but I still can't keep FBS and BCS straight.

sagegrouse

jmb
08-24-2011, 11:52 PM
An earth-shattering development that has sent shock waves through the state.

.....sorry

uh_no
08-24-2011, 11:59 PM
An earth-shattering development that has sent shock waves through the state.

.....sorry

What can you say....the coach was at fault.

OldPhiKap
08-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Division I has two subdivisions: FBS and FCS.

A/K/A the "Fantasy-Champion-Because-We-Cannot-Have-A-Playoff" division, and the "We-Establish-Our-Champions-On-The-Filed" division.

gofurman
08-25-2011, 11:57 PM
A/K/A the "Fantasy-Champion-Because-We-Cannot-Have-A-Playoff" division, and the "We-Establish-Our-Champions-On-The-Filed" division.

you got that right !@!!!!!! (note my name of "gofurman" - the BCS blows hard.) Would Duke bball have even been invited to the 91 title versus UNLV - I don't know but I do know we would certailny have not been invited to the 2010 title if a BCS were used... but let the games be played and what do you know !!!!!!!!!!!

also note furman drew 10.5K to footbal as 1AA (FCS) vs Richmond with 8.5K - but keep in mind Furman (FU all the time !) has a mere 2500 undergrads and 3000 students total.. Richmond is a little larger at 3000 undergrads and 4500 students total yet draws less. And Furman sits right beside Clemson (football school). Richmond is a fair distance from VPI and UVA. with all that they should be able to do a little better - but Furman has played in 3 title games - 85, 88, 01... winning it all in 88

anyway, all that matters is Furman beat NC State twice in a row with only 63 1AA scholarships (vs 85 for 1A) so they had to go and buy our coach - Dick SHeridan.. same for Vandy buying up Bobby Johnson form us in 2001

CameronBornAndBred
08-26-2011, 12:32 AM
Coaches should be held to a much higher standard IMO. Especially in this case since this is not his first one. Hopefully this will be a life changing event and he will stop driving drunk before he kills someone. Maybe it will take him losing his job and public disgrace to get the message. Hope so.
Agreed. Also, as a friend of mine noted on another board...

"Anyone who can afford a Lexus can afford a cab or a driver, especially someone who already had a prior conviction and who should have known better."
Now whether or not he was driving a Lexus, I don't know...but he was paid well enough to be able to get a cab ride home.