PDA

View Full Version : Singler signs deal in Spain

arydolphin
08-22-2011, 11:14 PM
The main details are quoted below, full article is at this link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtxUWqOjKsCWYwdNI3gqS2g5nYcB?slug=aw-wojnarowski_kyle_singler_spain_082211

Detroit Pistons’ draft pick Kyle Singler(notes) has reached agreement on a contract with Alicante of Spain’s top professional league, Singler’s agent told Yahoo! Sports.

Singler’s deal with Alicante contains an out clause that will allow him to return to the NBA if the league-imposed lockout ends, said Singler’s agent, Greg Lawrence.

wk2109
08-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Good to see that Kyle will be able to play and make some money -- not a bad situation for a second-rounder.

Jim3k
08-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Any word on what the signing is worth to Kyle?

Bob Green
08-22-2011, 11:57 PM
This is a great opportunity for Singler as living overseas and experiencing a different culture can be an extremely rewarding experience...and oh by the way, he will be able to earn some bucks as well, which facilitates the rewarding overseas experience. :D

Acymetric
08-23-2011, 12:52 AM
Never been there but my friends who've been loved it, should be a great experience for Kyle both for basketball and as a life experience.

gwlaw99
08-23-2011, 02:06 AM
Now we have to find a way to watch Alicante games on the internet :)

guybrush
08-23-2011, 05:22 AM

This is Alicante, very beautiful city close to Barcelona

miramar
08-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Alicante doesn't have a great team, but it's on the Mediterranean coast with great beaches, maybe 50 miles south of Valencia. The Spanish league has improved dramatically, so Kyle can't go wrong personally or professionally.

CameronBornAndBred
08-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Very cool, I'm happy to see he will be playing somewhere. Question for those that know; if an NBA player gets hurt (major injury) playing for another team, is there any chance that their contract can be voided? If I were an NBA team and my guy just tore his ACL in Europe, I wouldn't want to pay him to watch the games on crutches. Also, how does that same scenario work if the injury happens in a pick up game here at home?

DukeVol
08-23-2011, 09:40 AM
This is great for Kyle.

I spent the Summer of 2003 in Alicante for a study abroad program and it is a great place. He'll miss the mad rush of Madrid residents vacationing there in August, but I think he'll enjoy the slower, relaxed feel that the town has the rest of the year. I hope he enjoys evening strolls down La Rambla as much as I did.

CDu
08-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Very cool, I'm happy to see he will be playing somewhere. Question for those that know; if an NBA player gets hurt (major injury) playing for another team, is there any chance that their contract can be voided? If I were an NBA team and my guy just tore his ACL in Europe, I wouldn't want to pay him to watch the games on crutches. Also, how does that same scenario work if the injury happens in a pick up game here at home?

I'm guessing that most contracts have clauses in them regarding non-team-related activities. I'm not sure, however, what the lockout means (i.e., if the owners are preventing players from making their living, do such clauses hold?). In Singler's case, he doesn't have a contract yet, and as a second-rounder he's not guaranteed an NBA contract at all. But for a guy like Deron Williams, I don't know how an injury risk plays into the contract situation.

Jim3k
08-23-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm guessing that most contracts have clauses in them regarding non-team-related activities. I'm not sure, however, what the lockout means (i.e., if the owners are preventing players from making their living, do such clauses hold?). In Singler's case, he doesn't have a contract yet, and as a second-rounder he's not guaranteed an NBA contract at all. But for a guy like Deron Williams, I don't know how an injury risk plays into the contract situation.

Presumably (I know, I know...), his agent will have seen to it that there is sufficient insurance, not only for the medical, but the for loss of earnings, both in Spain and in the U.S., if he is injured.

Lloyd's experts, speak up!

burnspbesq
08-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Kyle's game is perfect for Euroball. I hope he dominates the ACB, helps his team improve to where it can compete with Barca and Real, falls in love with a Penelope Cruz look-alike, and never plays a second in the NBA.

Acymetric
08-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Kyle's game is perfect for Euroball. I hope he dominates the ACB, helps his team improve to where it can compete with Barca and Real, falls in love with a Penelope Cruz look-alike, and never plays a second in the NBA.

I was with you for the first few things there but I would say you're in an extremely small minority with the last bit, however well intentioned it may be.

awhom111
08-24-2011, 12:34 PM

His team would have to improve quite a bit to compete with the big guns in the ACB. They will probably be spending most of their season fighting relegation instead of trying to qualify for European competition. The good thing is that Kyle will probably be leaned on to be a star and he should get his fair share of playing time.

I know that it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I think it is unfair to insinuate things about player's relationships when many of them already have existing relationships that us fans probably do not know anything about.

hq2
08-24-2011, 01:10 PM
As far as playing in the NBA is concerned, it's probably a wash. As a second rounder, he wouldn't have gotten either a great contract or much PT. He'll do O.K. on the first item, much better on the second overseas. Hopefully, like Bill Wennington a while ago, he'll come back home with an NBA jump shot.