PDA

View Full Version : Get Shane a job on the Duke bench!

JasonEvans
08-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Luke Walton is going to be an assistant coach (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/6885825/los-angeles-lakers-luke-walton-memphis-tigers-bench-lockout)at Memphis for Josh Pastner during the lockout (he would immediately rejoin the Lakers as soon as the lockout is over). This is a golden opportunity to get Shane or Grant Hill working with the Duke team! I know they could not be full assistants and we already have an excellent complement of assistant coaches in Wojo, Collins, and Capel plus our Badass strength coach. Still, there might be a way of getting one of these guys on the bench in some capacity, working with the team to make them better.

I am confident both Shane and Grant will someday be very good head coaches, should they desire to do that when their NBA careers are done.

-Jason "NBA players seems to be doing some interesting stuff in the lockout off-season... did folks hear about the DC-LA pickup game (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/dc-claims-bragging-rights-but-la-hoping-for-a-rematch/2011/08/21/gIQAogr3TJ_blog.html)?" Evans

SilkyJ
08-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Luke Walton is going to be an assistant coach (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/6885825/los-angeles-lakers-luke-walton-memphis-tigers-bench-lockout)at Memphis for Josh Pastner during the lockout (he would immediately rejoin the Lakers as soon as the lockout is over). This is a golden opportunity to get Shane or Grant Hill working with the Duke team! I know they could not be full assistants and we already have an excellent complement of assistant coaches in Wojo, Collins, and Capel plus our Badass strength coach. Still, there might be a way of getting one of these guys on the bench in some capacity, working with the team to make them better.

I am confident both Shane and Grant will someday be very good head coaches, should they desire to do that when their NBA careers are done.

Add Christian to that list, as I think he's indicated an interest in returning to coaching, no?

It'd be awesome to have the guys involved formally, but even if that's not possible I'm thinking/hoping we'll have them hanging around the team throughout the season. Afterall, these guys need to stay in shape and keep sharp, and what better way then coming "home" to use our brand new facilities (where they can gripe to coach about how they never had facilities like this and how the kids these days have it so easy :) )

The China trip seems like a solid step in this direction, though I don't know how involved the ex-players are in terms of working with the kids, scrimmaging, etc.

-Jason "NBA players seems to be doing some interesting stuff in the lockout off-season... did folks hear about the DC-LA pickup game (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/dc-claims-bragging-rights-but-la-hoping-for-a-rematch/2011/08/21/gIQAogr3TJ_blog.html)?" Evans

Been hearing all about this stuff. Very cool stuff, and another great way to get your summer hoops fix.

lotusland
08-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Just curious - what former players are traveling with the team in China/Dubai? Seems like I heard Grant, JWill and Kyrie. I don't remember seeing any in the crowd during the telecasts but I did have some annoying business calls so I may have missed them.

Kedsy
08-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Just curious - what former players are traveling with the team in China/Dubai? Seems like I heard Grant, JWill and Kyrie. I don't remember seeing any in the crowd during the telecasts but I did have some annoying business calls so I may have missed them.

Nolan, for sure. Not sure who (if anyone) else other than him and the three you mentioned.

magjayran
08-22-2011, 08:57 PM
I know they showed Grant at the second game.

Back on topic. I love Christian Laettner but I'm not positive if he is coaching material. I'm sure that he's not either honestly but Christian was one of those dudes that had qualities that you can't teach and he might get frustrated with players that don't share those qualities. Shane though, I think he'd be dynamite as an assistant and potentially a great head coach in the future. As an assistant he can focus on all those fancy stats and percentages and would be a tremendous help when it comes to game planning. At the same time he can study and learn a lot from Coach K. I have a feeling that Shane can be whatever he wants to be when he's done with the NBA but I'd love to see him on the Duke bench for sure.

PaIronDuke
08-22-2011, 09:08 PM

Locally(in Philadelphia), Elton Brand is organizing practices on, I believe, the Left Coast for many/most of the 76's players.

Nice gesture.........

SilkyJ
08-22-2011, 09:35 PM

Nolan, for sure. Not sure who (if anyone) else other than him and the three you mentioned.

I believe Shane is as well (http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2011/08/04/dukes-trip-to-china-stacked/).

OZZIE4DUKE
08-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Back on topic. I love Christian Laettner but I'm not positive if he is coaching material.
Funny you say that. Jay Bilas disagrees with you. He just posted this on Facebook.

Jay Bilas (http://www.facebook.com/jay.bilas)

I have never been around a tougher competitor like Christian Laettner. He is a tremendous teacher, and his feel for the game is phenomenal. If you are a player serious about learning the game and getting better, I strongly recommend the Laettner Basketball Academy!

BD80
08-22-2011, 10:38 PM

I'm not so sure, Shane has gone places and seen things on different levels of consciousness that not even average Duke students could handle.

As for Grant, he has been earthbound for years now, and has seen the game as a mortal, but he couldn't coach what he could do at Duke or with the Pistons ...

BUT, while I agree that they each would prosper on the Duke sidelines for a short period, YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT FUTURE PRESIDENTS (NBA or USA) OR CEO'S - NOT COACHES. Unless you are talking about succession.

Exiled_Devil
08-22-2011, 11:10 PM
YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT FUTURE PRESIDENTS (NBA or USA) OR CEO'S - NOT COACHES. Unless you are talking about succession.

photo

dukejim1
08-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Pastner had recently made the very unusual decision to not backfill an assistant position that recently opened, saying that he would cover those duties himself. He may have been setting this move up but not sure why he needed to announce he was covering the void. I'm sure his current recruits will be excited about the NBA strength coach as well.

hq2
08-23-2011, 10:30 AM
BUT, while I agree that they each would prosper on the Duke sidelines for a short period, YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT FUTURE PRESIDENTS (NBA or USA) OR CEO'S - NOT COACHES. Unless you are talking about succession.

Precisely. I'd say Shane has his sights on other jobs. And, unlike Bill Bradley, who didn't have much personality, Shane definitely does have some charisma.
Hope to be at his inauguration in 2032.

duke79
08-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Precisely. I'd say Shane has his sights on other jobs. And, unlike Bill Bradley, who didn't have much personality, Shane definitely does have some charisma.
Hope to be at his inauguration in 2032.

Yea, Bill Bradley, although a seemingly bright guy (although he did turn down Duke to go to Princeton. LOL), could never turn his basketball star/Rhodes scholar/US senator resume into a viable Presidential contender. I never quite understood why but he just seemed to have NO charisma or personality. Watching him expound on any subject was enough to put voters to sleep.

magjayran
08-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Funny you say that. Jay Bilas disagrees with you. He just posted this on Facebook.
[/h]
He'd still pick against Duke every time if Laettner was on the bench.