PDA

View Full Version : Boost Mobile Elite 24

dukeballer2294
08-21-2011, 06:03 PM
The annual Elite 24 game is being played next Saturday in Venice, California with a number of Duke recruits playing including Rasheed Sulaimon and Shabaaz Muhammad. I was wondering, since I was planning on going, does 1 need to purchase tickets? Or is it on a first come first serve basis?

tommy
08-21-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm planning on going too and was wondering the same thing.

I just checked on StubHub and they don't have anything listed, so that leads me to believe either it's a non-ticketed event (being that it's played on the outdoor courts and I've never seen them chained or roped off or anything) or else maybe you buy tickets once there. I would bet the former.

Nugget
08-22-2011, 04:29 PM
I went last year and it was a mixture -- "first come, first served" for bleachers on one side of the court, and reserved for sponsors (Nike, Boost Mobile, ESPN, Powerade, etc.) on the other side of the court.

The bleachers did fill up and they cut off letting people in about 10 minutes before the game. We got there a half hour before tip-off and were among the last people who got in. So, I'd get there early.

licc85
08-25-2011, 06:40 PM
I didn't see a thread for this, so I decided to make a thread for it. If you weren't aware, the Boost Mobile Elite 24 game, which features 24 of the most promising high school players will be broadcast on ESPNU on August 26-27.

Our guy Rasheed Sulaimon will be playing, as well as potential recruits Shabazz Muhammad, Mitch McGary, Tony Parker, and Julius Randle, all of whom have Duke on their list. The slam dunk and skills competition will be on the 26th at 6 PM ET (not sure if Rasheed is competing in the 3 point contest, but if not, he definitely should), and the actual game will be on the 27th at 7 PM ET. I'm really excited to see Rasheed play against other talented players, and I'm also interested to check out Mitch, Tony, and Julius in action, since I haven't seen a lot of youtube footage on those 3. Should be fun.

Edit: Nerlens Noels is playing too, I think we are also interested in him

SilkyJ
08-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Watzone is there now, tweeting about the action. Put up a vid of 'Sheed doing his no-step vert measurement: 27.5". If you want a comparison, here are the 2011 nba draft measurements (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=2011&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&source=All&sort=10). Nolan, for example put a 28.5, so 'sheeds certainly isn't bad, but its not going to blow anyone away either.

Wheat/"/"/"
08-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Here's a bump back to the front page and the roster (http://rise.espn.go.com/boys-basketball/events/2011/08/Elite-24/Rosters.aspx?pursuit=BoysBasketball)for tonight's 7pm ESPNU game.

ACCBBallFan
08-27-2011, 07:33 PM
7 PM Start on ESPNU was delayed when Mitch broke the backboard in warmups

tommy
08-28-2011, 12:02 AM
I was at the game today. It felt more like a rap or hip hop concert than a basketball game, to be honest.

It was a non-ticketed event. My 5 year old son and I got there an hour early, but the fire marshal had already cut off entry despite the stands clearly not being full. So we had to stand there in the hot sun for 40 minutes in line before they re-opened the entry gate and let more people in. We sat right down and had great seats. Didnt make sense.

But then there was another major delay because, as stated above, Mitch McGary shattered one backboard during warmups with a giant dunk. He also cut himself on the fingers, hand, shoulder, and neck, and was bleeding pretty significantly. Cost him a chance to play in the game, which was too bad as I was really looking forward to seeing him play up close.

I was going to post my impressions of some of the players as it really is great to see them up close and personal, despite the kind of game it was -- meaning zero defense and mainly just street balling -- but I think I'll do that in the 2012 Recruiting thread instead.

gumbomoop
08-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Kyle Anderson is a really, really unusual player. He plays in slow motion, but he plays with stunning efficiency, getting to spots on the court that his apparent lack of speed should absolutely make impossible. He does things he cannot do. I concede that maybe he gets away with borderline palming sometimes. I would welcome from anyone who's seen him play a few times some analysis of what I can only describe as his "smoke and mirrors" game.

I've no idea why Duke stopped recruiting him, and I'm confident the staff knows the team's needs. But I do not hesitate to say that I'm sorry there's no chance he'll play for Duke. He's just a whole lot of fun to watch.

licc85
08-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Here's the video of Mitch McGary destroying the backboard. He got cut up pretty good, and couldn't play in the game, but he should be okay. I like the guy though, we need a big tough dude like him up front. I hope we can land him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvDJ8MyoWGY

Wheat/"/"/"
08-28-2011, 03:58 PM
What a let down that game was to watch, even for an all star game.

Note to self...any hoops game I tune into that allows a two bit hype guy on the floor with a microphone, go pull weeds in the yard.

jacone21
08-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Note to self...any hoops game I tune into that allows a two bit hype guy on the floor with a microphone, go pull weeds in the yard.

Amen Brotha! Trying to watch it felt like pulling weeds. I lasted about 10 possessions.

Indoor66
08-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Amen Brotha! Trying to watch it felt like pulling weeds. I lasted about 10 possessions.

That was five more than I lasted! It was unwatchable. I have seen better games at the local church playground.