PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee!!

Jim3k
08-19-2011, 12:15 AM
What are you doing, Man? You retired in 2004 and now you've signed with a French team? (http://www.sportando.net/eng/europe/france/30474/aubenas_signs_former_duke_and_nba_player_cherokee_ parks.html) Honestly, this doesn't make sense. You're 39 (working on 40) and you haven't played in 7 years.

I do wish you luck, but are you sure you want to do this? I know it's a fourth division team, but even that is going to stress you more than you need. It's not like you have been playing through the years like Grant. It's going to be rough. Even Grant goes through agony every year in deciding if he wants to continue (of course with the lockout, things have changed for him).

Anyway, best wishes. But don't be afraid to acknowledge that it will be a trial. There's no shame if you decide to bag it.

CameronBornAndBred
08-19-2011, 01:43 AM
What are you doing, Man? You retired in 2004 and now you've signed with a French team? (http://www.sportando.net/eng/europe/france/30474/aubenas_signs_former_duke_and_nba_player_cherokee_ parks.html) Honestly, this doesn't make sense. You're 39 (working on 40) and you haven't played in 7 years.

I do wish you luck, but are you sure you want to do this? I know it's a fourth division team, but even that is going to stress you more than you need. It's not like you have been playing through the years like Grant. It's going to be rough. Even Grant goes through agony every year in deciding if he wants to continue (of course with the lockout, things have changed for him).

Anyway, best wishes. But don't be afraid to acknowledge that it will be a trial. There's no shame if you decide to bag it.
If someone wants to hire me at 40 (uhh...retroactive to last year) to play a game in a foriegn country that most people PAY thousands of dollars just to visit..well sign me up!!
Good luck CP!
(P.S. I couldn't give a fork without spreading the love, but thanks for the link Jim)

Jim3k
08-19-2011, 03:00 AM
If someone wants to hire me at 40 (uhh...retroactive to last year) to play a game in a foriegn country that most people PAY thousands of dollars just to visit..well sign me up!!
Good luck CP!
(P.S. I couldn't give a fork without spreading the love, but thanks for the link Jim)

A fork is not necessary; thanks for the thought, though. But what are you doing up so late? You were up way early for the China game. Light's no good for painting.

NovaScotian
08-19-2011, 07:19 AM
cherokee parks is my homeboy - i love that he is still awesome enough even in his old age to make such a fantastic career move. france is a DOPE place to live and can't be that competitive compared to the better leagues in europe.

monkey
08-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Lets' go Chief!!! He and Langdon were created some of the happy memories from 94-95

hurleyfor3
08-19-2011, 11:05 AM

Aw, heck, at least he can get hired at 40 in the first place.

MCFinARL
08-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Well, if Dara Torres can win an Olympic silver medal while setting an American record in the 50 freestyle at age 41 (if you aren't familiar with swimming, you might not realize how ridiculous this is, but take my word for it--it's completely ridiculous), Cherokee Parks can probably come out of retirement. And if he can get someone to pay him to do it, more power to him.

Still, it is a rather poignant example of how hard it is for high-level athletes to quit. An interesting question--is it better to go out at (or near) the top of your game, or to play for as long as you can, even though your skills deteriorate? I can see arguments on both sides. (Of course, it's academic for me, since my skills, such as they are, don't require physical talent or conditioning.)

CameronBlue
08-19-2011, 11:57 PM
The class of 95 deserves special praise in my book. It wasn't a pleasant season for anyone in a Duke uniform that season, least of all the Seniors. Have always admired Chief for that and for his outstanding play against "Big Dog" Glen Robinson in the 94 regional final holding him to 13 points (really it was a team effort). Antonio Lang! and Jeff Capel led the way with 19 apiece an unlikely pair for the inclusion of Lang. Big Dog had suffered a back sprain against Kansas one game prior and shot 6-22 against the Chief and tribe.