PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Wins

B-well
08-13-2011, 10:26 PM
I must have missed a thread explaining this.

But...

Do wins in preseason games against Division 2 teams count as wins for a Division 1 Coach?

Bluedog
08-13-2011, 10:43 PM
I must have missed a thread explaining this.

But...

Do wins in preseason games against Division 2 teams count as wins for a Division 1 Coach?

Pre-season? Does that mean exhibition games? Exhibition games do not count. If pre-season simply means out of conference before the ACC slate, then yes, wins against D2 teams count as wins for a DI coach. In fact, according to the official NCAA record books, any coach that spent >10 years in DI has ALL his wins count in the Division I record book. Thus, Jim Phelan is technically something like #7 all-time in DI even though the majority of his victories came while coaching a D2 team.

Olympic Fan
08-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Bluedog is right -- preseason exhibition games don't count, whether they are against Division II, foreign national teams or AAU teams. Any wins Duke gets this month on the China-Dubai trip will not add to K's victory total.

But if any team plays a Division II team in the regular season, it counts towards a coaches' (and a school's) victory total.

One of Coach K's 900 wins came against Division II Chaminade (106-70, Nov. 24, 1997). Not sure, but I THINK a Nov. 28, 1986 win over BYU-Hawaii was also against a Division II team. I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think those are the only two non-Division 1 wins counted in his 900 victories.

It's not likely, but possible that K could get his record-setting 903rd win against Division II Chaminade. Not likely because (1) with four games before the Hawaii trip, he probably gets the record before Maui; and (2) Duke and Chaminade are on the opposite side of the bracket, so they are unlikely to meet.

But it's possible ... and if it happened, the win would count.

There might be some confusion because the NCAA Tournament selection committee doesn't count non-Division 1 wins towards a team's tourney resume ...

OZZIE4DUKE
08-14-2011, 08:23 AM
It's not likely, but possible that K could get his record-setting 903rd win against Division II Chaminade. Not likely because (1) with four games before the Hawaii trip, he probably gets the record before Maui; and (2) Duke and Chaminade are on the opposite side of the bracket, so they are unlikely to meet.

But it's possible ... and if it happened, the win would count.
Like you say, it's not likely we'll play them, but if we do, ask Ralph Sampson, or anyone from UVA, how easy it is to beat Chaminade on their home turf. :p Just sayin'... http://www.mmbolding.com/basketball/Chaminade.htm