PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Duke Recruiting Classes

NSDukeFan
08-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Top 5 Duke Recruiting Classes

I really like this year’s recruiting class and think it might have a great impact and accomplish a lot in their time at Duke, though I don’t know how many of them will make huge contributions this year. I started wondering whether this might be one of Duke’s best recruiting classes ever and if this class might be one of the five most accomplished at Duke ever. The short answer is I doubt it.

There are many ways of measuring success of a recruiting class including rankings, players drafted in the NBA and NBA success, etc. but I thought I would look more specifically at accomplishments at Duke. I have listed many of Duke’s top recruiting classes below and all of the most recent ones (thanks to http://www.rscihoops.com/ ) I also listed some of each class’ accomplishments (points scored, POYs, championships (ACC, regional, national) and bolded retired jerseys to help you in your decision making. I hope this might lead to some discussion during these summer days as we wait for November. Feel free to correct me on recruiting classes as well, as I just went by the first year a player was listed on the roster from http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/

*1948 (soph) Dick Groat, Dayton Allen, Dick Crowder, John Engberg, Bill Fleming, Red Klpan, Dick Latimer 3783 pts in 3 years
(produced MLB all-star, national player of the year)

*1959 (soph) Art Heyman, Fred Cox, Fred Schmidt, Scott Williamson 2414 pts in 3 years
National player of the year, ACC POY, ACC champs, Final Four

*1960 (soph) Jeff Mullins, Jay Buckley, Ray Cox, Tom Gebbie, Roger Hamilton, Buzzy Harrison, Bob Jamieson, Bill Ulrich 3648 pts in 3 years
ACC champs x 2, Final Four x 2, ACC POY

1962 (soph) Jack Marin, Steve Vacendak, Bill Zimmer, Phil Allen 2293 pts in 3 years
ACC POY, ACC champs x2, Final Four x 2

1963 (soph) Bob Verga, Jim Liccardo, Stuart McKaig, Bob Riedy 2680 pts in 3 years
ACC champs x 2, Final Four x 2

1975 Jim Spanarkel, Cameron Hall, Steve Gray, Scott Goetsch, Harold Morrison 2800 pts
ACC champs, Final Four

1976 Mike Gminski 2323 pts
ACC POY, ACC champs x 2, Final Four

*1977 Gene Banks, Kenny Dennard, Jim Suddath 3403 pts
ACC champs x 2, Final Four

*1982 Johnny Dawkins, Mark Alarie, David Henderson, Jay Bilas, Weldon Williams 7450 pts
National player of the year, ACC champs, Final Four

*1985 Danny Ferry, Quin Snyder, John Smith, George Burgin 3976 pts
National player of the year, ACC POY x 2, ACC champs x 2, Final Four x 3

*1986 Alaa Abdelnaby, Phil Henderson, Robert Brickey 3833 pts
ACC champs, Final Four x3

*1988 Christian Laettner, Brian Davis, Crawford Palmer 3607 pts
National player of the year, ACC POY, ACC champs, National Champs x 2 (Jr., Sr.), Final Four x 4

*1989 Bobby Hurley, Thomas Hill, Billy McCaffrey 4016 pts
All-time NCAA assist leader, ACC champs, National Champs x2 (So., Jr.), Final Four x 3

*1990 Grant Hill, Antonio Lang, Marty Clark, Kenny Blakeny, Christian Ast 3924 pts
Retired jersey, ACC POY, NDPOY, ACC champs, National Champs x 2 (Fr., So.), Final Four x 3

1991 Cherokee Parks, Erik Meek 2256 pts
ACC champs, National Champs (Fr.), Final Four x 2

1993 Jeff Capel, Greg Newton, Joey Beard, Carmen Wallace 2714 pts
Final Four

*1994 Trajan Langdon, Steve Wojciechowski, Ricky Price, Todd Singleton 3723 pts
NDPOY, ACC champs (Trajan), Final Four

1996 Chris Carrawell, Nate James, Mike Chappel 2974 pts
ACC POY, ACC champs x 2, Final Four

*1997 Shane Battier, Elton Brand, William Avery, Chris Burgess 4200 pts
Retired jersey, National Player of the year X 2, ACC POY x 2, NDPOY x 3, ACC champs x 3, National Champs (Sr.), Final Four x 2

I listed all of the years here from 1998 as RSCI data is available.

1998 <NR> Corey Maggette (16)
Final Four, ACC champs

*1999 <1> Jason Williams (3), Carlos Boozer (8), Casey Sanders (16), Mike Dunleavy (26) 5292 pts
Retired jersey, National Player of the year X 2, ACC champs x 4, National Champs (So.), Final Four

2000 Chris Duhon (7), Reggie Love, Andre Sweet

Team rankings begin at RSCI in 2001

2001 <NR> Daniel Ewing (29)
Final Four, ACC champs x 3
*2002 <1> Shelden Williams (8), J.J. Redick (11), Shavlik Randolph (14), Sean Dockery (21), Michael Thompson (30) 5950 pts
Two retired jerseys, National Player of the year x 2, ACC POY, NDPOY x 2, ACC champs x 3, Final Four
2003 Luol Deng (2) 558 pts
Final Four

2004 <17> DeMarcus Nelson (18), Dave McClure (71) (just ahead of Joakim Noah) 1614 pts
ACC champs x 3

2005 <2> Josh McRoberts (1), Greg Paulus (13), Eric Boateng (39), Marty Pocius (53), Jamal Boykin (60) 2120 pts
ACC champs x 2

*2006 <3> Gerald Henderson (10), Lance Thomas (20), Brian Zoubek (25), Jon Scheyer (28) 4548 pts
ACC champs x 2, National champs (Sr.)

*2007 <3> Kyle Singler (5), Nolan Smith (19), Taylor King (24) 4489 pts
ACC POY, ACC champs x 3, National champs (Jr.)

2008 <11> Elliot Williams (15), Olek Czyz (66), Miles Plumlee (81) 591+ pts
ACC champs x 3, National champs (So.)

*2009 <8>, note Andre not included in this ranking> Ryan Kelly (14), Mason Plumlee (18), Andre Dawkins (NR) 1143+ pts
ACC champs x 2, National champs (Fr.)

2010 <9> Kyrie Irving (2), Josh Hairston (32), Tyler Thornton 287+ pts
ACC champs

2011 <2> Austin Rivers (2), Michael Gbinijie (28), Quinn Cook (31), Alex Murphy (49), Marshall Plumlee (61)

The last recruiting class that has not had a player become at least a third team all ACC was in 1998 when Corey Maggette went pro after his first year. The 2008, 2009 or 2010 classes have not yet had an all-ACC performer yet. 2011 was the fifth top 3 recruiting class Duke has had since 2001 (11 years.) This does not include the top rated 1997 and 1999 classes. Not bad. So which are the top 5 Duke recruiting classes since 1948?

JasonEvans
08-12-2011, 12:02 PM
I think 4 (82, 97, 99, 02) stand out above the rest and had trouble picking a 5th, but I went with 89.

-Jason "great idea! Fabulous research" Evans

Faison1
08-12-2011, 12:18 PM
The Brand/Battier/Avery/Burgess class was one of the best, IMHO. Not only were the players good, but it signaled to the rest of the ACC and the world that K was starting a string of recruiting coups.

From 1997 through 2005, there was probably no better recruiter than K and Co. I'm not sure what was going on behind the scenes, but it certainly seemed like K had switched strategies to attract more athleticism and front court strength.

I'm also not sure if we will see a better string of frontcourt players than Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, and Shelden Williams. Let's hope we do.

CDu
08-12-2011, 12:34 PM
I think 4 (82, 97, 99, 02) stand out above the rest and had trouble picking a 5th, but I went with 89.

I agree with the assessment on the top 4. Those were absolutely monster recruiting classes, and the results back it up. For the fifth, I'd say each of the '88, '89, '90, '06, and '07 classes can make an argument. It's tough to choose one among them though, because the success of those 5 classes relied heavily on the success of the classes right around them (the '88-'90 classes combined for the backbone of the '91-'92 titles while the '06-'07 classes were the core of the '2010 championship run).

Olympic Fan
08-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Just a couple of notes before you vote:

-- the 1982 Class (Dawkins, Alarie and company) is the highest scoring (in terms of career points scored) recruiting class in NCAA history. I believe (but I'm not sure) that it's the only single class to produce two 2,000-point scorers (although Singler/Smith ALMOST did it).

-- The 1987 Class of Brand, Battier, Burgess and Avery is the only class in NCAA history to produce two consensus national players of the year (Brand in 1999; Battier in 2001)

-- the 2002 Class is the only class in ACC history to produce two consensus first-team All-Americans in the same year (Redick and Williams). That class is also unique in that (as far as I know) it's the only time in Krzyzewski's tenure that he got every player he targeted ... without exception.

Of the Bubas classes, I'd give the edge to the Jeff Mullins class. It produced three three-year starters -- Mullins, Jay Buckley and Buzzy Harrison.

It you are talking about program changing classes, then Heyman, Banks and Ferry (as great as the '02 class was, Ferry was the first time K beat Dean head-to-head for a prospect) and the Williams-Boozer-Dunleavy Class (coming at a time when defections ripped the program) would be my most influencial. I was thinking of including 1997, but remember, Duke won the ACC regular season in the year before they arrived with a young team and finished No. 10 in the nation.

NSDukeFan
08-12-2011, 12:47 PM

I agree with the assessment on the top 4. Those were absolutely monster recruiting classes, and the results back it up. For the fifth, I'd say each of the '88, '89, '90, '06, and '07 classes can make an argument. It's tough to choose one among them though, because the success of those 5 classes relied heavily on the success of the classes right around them (the '88-'90 classes combined for the backbone of the '91-'92 titles while the '06-'07 classes were the core of the '2010 championship run).

I had 82, 97 and 99 as my top 3 and struggled a bit after that. I was impressed with the 2 titles for '88, '89 and '90 but of course each of those classes helped the others. I may have underrated '02 with the 2 All-Americans and only class with two retired jerseys (so far?) I agree that '06 and '07 also have to be considered.

CDu
08-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Just a couple of notes before you vote:

-- the 1982 Class (Dawkins, Alarie and company) is the highest scoring (in terms of career points scored) recruiting class in NCAA history. I believe (but I'm not sure) that it's the only single class to produce two 2,000-point scorers (although Singler/Smith ALMOST did it).

-- The 1987 Class of Brand, Battier, Burgess and Avery is the only class in NCAA history to produce two consensus national players of the year (Brand in 1999; Battier in 2001)

-- the 2002 Class is the only class in ACC history to produce two consensus first-team All-Americans in the same year (Redick and Williams). That class is also unique in that (as far as I know) it's the only time in Krzyzewski's tenure that he got every player he targeted ... without exception.

Of the Bubas classes, I'd give the edge to the Jeff Mullins class. It produced three three-year starters -- Mullins, Jay Buckley and Buzzy Harrison.

It you are talking about program changing classes, then Heyman, Banks and Ferry (as great as the '02 class was, Ferry was the first time K beat Dean head-to-head for a prospect) and the Williams-Boozer-Dunleavy Class (coming at a time when defections ripped the program) would be my most influencial. I was thinking of including 1997, but remember, Duke won the ACC regular season in the year before they arrived with a young team and finished No. 10 in the nation.

The 2002 class almost got two 2000 point scorers as well (with Redick/Williams). The 1999 class would have had an outside shot at three 2000 point guys if for some crazy reason Williams, Boozer, and Dunleavy would have all returned for their senior years (that team, with a freshman Redick and Williams, would have been crazy).

Wander
08-12-2011, 12:50 PM
The question on the poll reads "What are the top 5 most accomplished classes?" I think "accomplished" is an important distinction from "best" or "most important."

1988 made the Final Four every year, with two national championships, and had one of the best players in the sport's history. Lock.

1997 had two national players of the year, and Battier winning the 2001 national championship. Lock.

The rest is a bit harder, but I'd argue 2002 deserves to be there for the individual school accomplishments (Duke's high scorer, rebounder, shot-blocker, etc). 1999 for composing the bulk of (in my opinion) the best team in school history.

I'd also like to remind everyone that we won a national championship a year ago. I still find Scheyer, Singer, and Smith to be criminally underrated in the mind of many Duke fans. When you have four national championships and you're looking for the five most accomplished recruiting classes, every championship should be represented. I picked Singler's class over Scheyer's because they have more individual awards.

I do agree with the sentiment that 1982 was Duke's most important class, but objectively speaking they don't have as many accomplishments as some of the others. Neither do any of the pre-K classes.

hurleyfor3
08-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I do agree with the sentiment that 1982 was Duke's most important class, but objectively speaking they don't have as many accomplishments as some of the others. Neither do any of the pre-K classes.

I'd include "overall impact on Duke basketball" to be part of a class's accomplishments. In that respect there's no denying '82.

VaDukie
08-12-2011, 01:23 PM
82, 97, and 99 are all no-brainers.

For the last two I went with 02 (only class to produce 2 retired jerseys) and 06. 06 was a very sentimental pick, but with 3 starters on a National Championship team and a 4th who left after a very accomplished junior year I think they deserved it.

Kedsy
08-12-2011, 02:05 PM
*1994 Trajan Langdon, Steve Wojciechowski, Ricky Price, Todd Singleton 3723 pts
NDPOY, ACC champs (Trajan), Final Four

The 1994 recruiting class did not make a Final Four. It's the only class between 1981 and 2004 that didn't.

NSDukeFan
08-12-2011, 02:10 PM
The 1994 recruiting class did not make a Final Four. It's the only class between 1981 and 2004 that didn't.

I was wondering how to account for that. Because I included Trajan with this class and he was in the final four in 1999, I said that someone from that class made a Final Four.

hurleyfor3
08-12-2011, 02:14 PM

Well, Trajan did. He was the only person from his recruiting class to win an ACC Championship as well. Admittedly, counting redshirts is a gray area.

Kedsy
08-12-2011, 02:16 PM
I said that someone from that class made a Final Four.

Ah, I see. I should have read the small print.

Edouble
08-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Battier was not a consensus National Player of the Year, as his teammate Jason Williams won the NABC POY award in 2001.

NSDukeFan
08-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Battier was not a consensus National Player of the Year, as his teammate Jason Williams won the NABC POY award in 2001.

I believe he was consensus, just not unanimous.

Olympic Fan
08-12-2011, 05:50 PM

NSDuke fan got it right ... the NCAA recognizes one player every year as the consensus national player of the year -- he's the player who wins the most recognized POY awards. Sometimes that player is unanimous, but it's like consensus first-team All-American -- the NCAA recognizes a consensus national player of the year and a five-man consensus first-team All-America team every year, even if the vote is split. The ones who get the most awards are regarded as consensus.

Battier won every recognized (there are a lot of unrecognized awards) NPOY award except the NABC that Jason won. Jason can then claim to be a two-time national player of the year, but only one-time consensus. JJ Redick is also a two-time national player of the year (but only one-time consensus).

Nine Duke players have won recognized national player of the year awards in 11 seasons (Williams and Redick twice). Of that number , seven are listed as consensus picks by the NCAA -- Art Heyman in 1963, Danny Ferry in 1989 (that's a rare year when the NCAA lists TWO consensus POY picks -- Ferry and Arizona's Sean Elliott split the major awards evenly), Christian Laettner in 1992, Elton Brand in 1999, Shane Battier in 2001, Jason Williams in 2002 and JJ Redick in 2006. There should be an eighth -- but the NCAA doesn't recognize consensus NPOY before 1956. However, Dick Groat won ever recognized NPOY award in 1951 (UPI, Look Magazine and Helms Foundation ... he was also the leading vote-getter on the AP All-America team, although the AP didn't official select a POY in '51).

Johnny Dawkins won the Naismith Award in 1986, which is a big one, but it was the only one he won.

JasonEvans
08-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Johnny Dawkins won the Naismith Award in 1986, which is a big one, but it was the only one he won.

Trivia time-- who was the consensus POY in 1986. Without looking it up, I am betting it was Walter Berry.

-Jason "who was the last player to be consensus POY twice in a row? Was it Ralph Sampson?" Evans

OZZIE4DUKE
08-12-2011, 10:22 PM
77, 82, 97, 99 and 2006. 82, 97 and 99 are no brainers as mentioned. You youngins have no idea how important getting Tinkerbell (and Kenny Dennard) was to the program in 1977 and what they did for it at that time. And 2006 because, even with the early departure of the best player a year early, they won a National Championship their senior year, with each of the three remaining players starting and playing key rolls.

OldPhiKap
08-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Coach K would not be where he is without Dawkin, Alarie, Bilas, Hendu, etc.

Basketball did not start at Duke with K -- but K started at Duke with the '82 class.

Olympic Fan
08-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Trivia time-- who was the consensus POY in 1986. Without looking it up, I am betting it was Walter Berry.

-Jason "who was the last player to be consensus POY twice in a row? Was it Ralph Sampson?" Evans

You guessedright -- Walter Berry won six of the seven recognized NPOY Awards in 1986 -- UPI, AP, USBWA, Wooden, NABC and the Rupp Award. Dawkins won the Naismith. Berry also won the Sporting News Award (although that was not recognized), while Scott Skiles won the Basketball Times POY (another unrecognized award).

Interesting that twice ACC players have won NPOY without winning ACC POY and both times Duke stars losing ou to Maryland stars (so much for the Tobacco Road media bias) -- Dawkins in 1986 (Len Bias was ACC POY) and Jason Williams in 2002 (Juan Dixon was ACC POY). Interesting because Jason was the consensus NPOY winner in 2002 and almost unanimous -- he shared the NABC Award with Drew Gooden of Kansas, but won everything else.

Heyman was an unanimous NPOY (although only three recognized awards in 1963). Elton was unanimous in 1999. Jason and JJ in 2006 won every award, but as noted Jason shared one award with Gooden, while JJ shared three of the seven awards (USBWA, Wooden and Naismith) with Adam Morrison. Laettner and Battier barely missed unanimous -- they won every award but one.

Ralph Sampson is indeed the last repeat consensus NPOY -- a gthree-time winner, he lost just two of six major awards to Danny Ainge in 1981, then was unanimous in 1982 and 1983 (although the Sporting News went for Michael Jordan in 1983 -- that was not a recognized award).

Other repeat consensus NPOY:

Bill Walton (1972-73-74 ... unanimous the first two years, he lost the AP Award to David Thompson in '74, but won everything else that year
Lew Alcindor (1968, 1970) -- He was unanimous in '68, missed consensus honors in '69 (losing two of the three big awards to Elvin Hayes), then won three of the four big awards (that was the first year of the Naismith) in 1969, losing the USBWA Award to Pete Maravich
Jerry Lucas (1961-62) -- unanimous both years
Oscar Robertson (1957-59) -- unanimous all three years

So three three-time consensus NPOY (Sampson, Walton and Robertson)
Two two-time consensus NPOY (Alcindor and Lucas)

UhOhMaggetteOs
08-13-2011, 11:39 AM
When you have four national championships and you're looking for the five most accomplished recruiting classes, every championship should be represented.

Not necessarily

hq2
08-13-2011, 04:30 PM
77, 82, 97, 99 and 2006. 82, 97 and 99 are no brainers as mentioned. You youngins have no idea how important getting Tinkerbell (and Kenny Dennard) was to the program in 1977 and what they did for it at that time.

That's about right. The effect of the '77 class was maybe a little exaggerated by events (Tate Armstrong '77 wrist injury,
missed layup by Rhode Island that would have knocked Duke out of the NCAAs) but nonetheless, the fact remains that
Gene Banks was the single most important recruit in Duke history. It wasn't just the effect Gene had on the program at the time, which was incredible, but the fact that he also laid the foundation for K to recruit the '82 class. I may be wrong, but I don't think without Gene (and Kenny) K could have done it.

SmartDevil
08-13-2011, 05:31 PM
A question: in the originating post in this thread, the 1948 class includes "Dick Crowder."

I am wondering if anyone knows if he was any relation to Max Crowder, longtime beloved Duke basketball trainer whose devotion to the Duke basketball program was legendary.

Indoor66
08-13-2011, 07:07 PM
A question: in the originating post in this thread, the 1948 class includes "Dick Crowder."

I am wondering if anyone knows if he was any relation to Max Crowder, longtime beloved Duke basketball trainer whose devotion to the Duke basketball program was legendary.

Dick Crowder (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=102) was from High Point, NC and Max Crowder (http://www.gastongazette.com/articles/duke-50871-remembered-trainer.html) was from Cherryville, NC. Cherryville is in Gaston County. It is about 40 or 45 miles from Charlotte and about 110 miles from High Point. Dick Crowder played from 1950-'52. That would make him born about 1930. Max died in 1992 at the age of 62 - also being born about 1930. My guess is that they were not related or, if so, as cousins.

sagegrouse
08-14-2011, 12:28 PM
I thought the four obvious choices were the classes of Dawkins, Alarie, Henderson and Bilas; Battier, Brand, Avery and Burgess; JWill, Boozer, Dunleavy and Sanders; JJ, Shelden, Shav and Dockery.

After that it got really difficult.

I gave it to my guys, the long ago class of Mullins, Buckley, Harrison and Jamieson. It was Bubas's signature recruiting class and put Duke on the map for the rest of the decade. Bill Foster in the 1980s tended to be penurious, taking only one really good player a year (until he got Banks and Dennard). The Laettner era did not have recruiting classes with the depth of the other years.

sagegrouse

77devil
08-14-2011, 01:59 PM
The 1969-70 group of Melchionni, Shaw, Dawson, and O'Connor is a worthy candidate for the 5th best recruiting class. This group was the best of the ACC that year and and led an undefeated freshman campaign before things fell apart with Bucky.

hq2
08-14-2011, 07:56 PM
.... who I just talked with a few days ago. Didn't have the heart to ask him about it all; he got a historical bad hand (the war, racism) and didn't know how to deal with it. Someone else might have done better (his approach didn't work in '69), but if K (West Pointer) had been there then, I think he wouldn't have known what to do either. Tough era. Bucky did his best; he just wasn't the right person for that time.

Tappan Zee Devil
08-14-2011, 08:34 PM
The 1969-70 group of Melchionni, Shaw, Dawson, and O'Connor is a worthy candidate for the 5th best recruiting class. This group was the best of the ACC that year and and led an undefeated freshman campaign before things fell apart with Bucky.

Yeah - that is true. They were a great freshman class (during my senior year) - loved to go to the freshman games. But Jeff Dawson left after his sophomore year and, if I remember correctly Richie O'Connor left in the middle of his junior year.

Another great class from that era that really never reached their potential was the 67-68 group including Randy Denton, Rick Katherman, Brad Evans and Dick DeVenzio
(I believe they were all year or is my mind going?)

Jeez - Buckie was such a disaster of a coach :mad: - although he could really talk a good story.

Jim

edit - OK just saw Hq2's post which was posted while I was composing this. Maybe we should cut Buckie some slack - but it was still a disaster and how much all of everything else that was going on affected his coaching and ability to coach that group is not clear - Dean Smith adapted to the times

hq2
08-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Denton and Divenzio both had decent careers; remember, Duke was a 20 game winner in 1970, Divenzio set the assist record at the time, and Denton is probably among the top 25 Duke players of all time.

As far as Bucky is concerned, who knows? He was an old-fashioned disciplinarian on a very anti war campus. In addition,
he simply couldn't relate well to black players; he just didn't have the background for it. Deano, who to his credit was a major civil rights supporter in the early 60s, fared better. I just don't think Bucky knew how to coach any other way. It just didn't work in that era. Maybe 10 years later, he would have fared better.

NSDukeFan
08-16-2011, 08:58 AM
As of right now, there are three classes that stand out from the rest: 1997 Battier, Brand, Burgess and Avery with almost 74% of the vote, 1982 Dawkins, Alarie, Henderson, Bilas, Williams with approximately 63% of the vote and 1999 Jason Williams, Carlos Boozer, Mike Dunleavy with almost 58% of the vote.

The next tier in the top 5 recruiting classes according to the votes from this site are: 1988 Laettner, Davis, Palmer (since I mentioned most accomplished classes, I think it was hard to pass up 4 final fours, 2 championships and one of the greatest college players ever, even if the surrounding classes had a lot to do with the teams' successes,) at approximately 41% of the vote and 2002 JJ, Williams, Shav, Dockery, Thompson (a class that will likely always be underrated, much like the 2006 team because of when their last game of the season occurred) at 35% of the vote.

The 6th and 7th ranked classes according to votes are: 1990 Hill, Lang, Clark, Blakeny and 2007 Singler, Smith with both near 25% of the vote.

15 classes received votes, including the 1969 class which I did not include. This poll is another indication that Duke has had many great recruiting classes. For the current class to be one of the top 5 ever at Duke, as voted by DBR readers, it would have to beat out a class that made it to four final fours and won 2 championships, has a retired jersey from someone who was NPOY and whatever else you want to say about Laettner; or a class with two retired jerseys, someone who won at least one national player of the year award twice, a two time NDPOY, Duke's all-time leaders in points, rebounds and blocks, and a class that scored almost 6000 points at Duke. The bar has been set pretty high.

Thanks to all who have voted and the poll is still open for those who haven't.