PDA

View Full Version : New Cameron Floor

Bluedog
08-11-2011, 11:58 AM
So, apparently they've re-sanded the Cameron hardwood and made some changes. First, they made the "DUKE" in both endlines considerably smaller (half the size basically). This makes a lot of sense to me since previously the media was covering up half of the letters so you couldn't see DUKE anyways. They also took out the basketball/net from the center circle and just have the more generic Duke "D." They removed the old 3-point line completely, so there's only one now. Not sure what other changes they made...But looks good to me!

Here are photos from DukeBluePlanet:

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2011-12/Cameron/Cameron-Indoor/18480434_TTNdJj#1426056413_zstn7Qw

http://dukeblueplanet.smugmug.com/2011-12/Cameron/Cameron-Indoor/i-zstn7Qw/0/XL/DSC6600-XL.jpg

http://dukeblueplanet.smugmug.com/2011-12/Cameron/Cameron-Indoor/i-5Wm8KsH/0/XL/DSC6614-XL.jpg

I wonder why there are ribbons (flowers?) over the Coach K court area.

roywhite
08-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the pics and the link.

I like two recent rule changes which show up on the court:
3-pt line for the women's game moved back to men's line---now only 1 such line on each end of the court
restricted area near the basket to clarify and limit the instances where a charge is taken

uh_no
08-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Hate the sideline change. Hate Hate Hate.

I grew up hating duke, and the big block letters on the baselines were always what i remembered about the floor watching Duke games. It was nearly iconic in my mind...sort of gave the perception that the arena was so overfilled with people that people even had to sit on the logos on the floor.....oh well....i don't make the call

Rich
08-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Hate the sideline change. Hate Hate Hate.

I grew up hating duke, and the big block letters on the baselines were always what i remembered about the floor watching Duke games. It was nearly iconic in my mind...sort of gave the perception that the arena was so overfilled with people that people even had to sit on the logos on the floor.....oh well....i don't make the call

Can someone post a photo of what it looked like before? Can't remember off the top of my head.

Rich
08-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Can someone post a photo of what it looked like before? Can't remember off the top of my head.

I found a photo from 2009. Now I see the difference.

Bluedog
08-11-2011, 03:29 PM

I found a photo from 2009. Now I see the difference.

Here it is once the game has begun:

http://archive.sportschatplace.com/images/stories/cameron-indoor-stadium1.jpg

As you can see on the right hand side, a lot of the letters are covered up by cameramen. I guess it's a matter of personal taste.

hurleyfor3
08-11-2011, 03:37 PM
I like it. The more understated, the better. Think of all the schools that have plastered some sort of giant chicken or letter of the alphabet or silhouette of their state from one three-point line to the other. I'm thrilled we're not going in that direction. I would have even gotten rid of the ACC logos myself.

hurleyfor3
08-11-2011, 03:42 PM
BTW, regarding the stuff around the "Coach K Court" logos. The green stuff around the letters looks like a decal that will be peeled off when the logo dries. The stuff between the letters in "Coach" and "Court" looks like some peeled-off tape.

roywhite
08-11-2011, 03:50 PM
I like it. The more understated, the better. Think of all the schools that have plastered some sort of giant chicken or letter of the alphabet or silhouette of their state from one three-point line to the other. I'm thrilled we're not going in that direction. I would have even gotten rid of the ACC logos myself.

Here I thought you liked the scenery out in Oregon?

Oregon basketball court with some words from the guy who designed it (http://www.wired.com/playbook/2010/11/oregon-basketball-court/)

hurleyfor3
08-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Here I thought you liked the scenery out in Oregon?

Fair enough; I did (and still do). I think it's visually pleasing. I'm not sure what we could do with our court that's the equivalent. What I absolutely can't stand is the trend of "make your logo as big as possible".

dukebsbll14
08-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Anyone got any pics of Coach's new Coach K Court whiteboard? With the changes to the court I think he'll need a new one...

roywhite
08-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Fair enough; I did (and still do). I think it's visually pleasing. I'm not sure what we could do with our court that's the equivalent. What I absolutely can't stand is the trend of "make your logo as big as possible".

yeah, just kidding.

what could we do? hmmm....
the lane and key area in the shape of Duke Chapel?
Center circle---a plate of barbecue?

uh_no
08-11-2011, 04:57 PM
yeah, just kidding.

making the inside of the 3 point line look like the duke shield

or

a giant image of a certain elbow flying into a certain center's nose

Kimist
08-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Is it just me, or does the men's three-point line (look at top of the key, near free-throw circle) in the various new/old pictures seem to have a mind of its own?

And as for my 2¢ worth, I personally like the smaller DUKE along the baselines. With the previous larger letters, and the fact that about half of the name was covered most of the time, it almost looked as if someone was having a Cool Hand Luke moment or something. :rolleyes:

k

B-well
08-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Maybe - with a smaller blue border at the ends of the court - we can keep the cameramen off the court.

Duvall
08-16-2011, 02:48 PM
yeah, just kidding.

A smaller picture of the Cameron court painted at center court.

Newton_14
08-16-2011, 10:28 PM
I like the new look. Looks cleaner. Look forward to seeing it in person.

Reilly
08-17-2011, 07:30 AM
I seem to recall reading that Duke was moving toward more uniformity in sports logos -- so just the Iron D for all sports, and without the specific net/ball in the middle. Can't recall where I read that, though.

I'm curious as to when the Iron D came into use. I like it a lot. Never went for the gothic (?)/old english (?) D that the baseball team uses. And I seem to recall older photos of Cameron that had a more "rounded", non-Iron-ish D in the center, but not sure of that.

CDu
08-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Is it just me, or does the men's three-point line (look at top of the key, near free-throw circle) in the various new/old pictures seem to have a mind of its own?

I'm guessing that's just a function of the angle at which the pictures were taken.

msdukie
08-17-2011, 11:21 PM
I seem to recall reading that Duke was moving toward more uniformity in sports logos -- so just the Iron D for all sports, and without the specific net/ball in the middle. Can't recall where I read that, though.

I'm curious as to when the Iron D came into use. I like it a lot. Never went for the gothic (?)/old english (?) D that the baseball team uses. And I seem to recall older photos of Cameron that had a more "rounded", non-Iron-ish D in the center, but not sure of that.

Oldest I've ever seen the Iron Duke "D" (with the ball and hoop to boot) is a picture with Neil McGeachy's 1972-73 team, I believe from when Duke won it's 1,000th game. Logo didn't make it to the uniforms until 1977-1978, which is also when the 2nd floor was put in Cameron and it took on its mostly similar to today look. The old D (a.k.a. the "stick D" is from the 1950s and 1960s. In the 1970s a disturbing looking Devil appeared on the floor.

As for the logo uniformity, destroying one of Duke's most iconic logos (basketball) is a tragedy. It is a much better logo than just the Iron Duke D. Also, removing the Gothic all over Cameron last November was terrible too (did anyone else notice the 2 gothic Ds and gothic painted Duke disappeared)? the gothic on the baseball uniforms is beatifual and the Old English that soccer and tennis use looks great. (Cross Country also had the old stick D with wings....)

Hopefully, this injustice will be corrected.:mad:

Mike Corey
08-17-2011, 11:45 PM
If only the uniforms were as strictly blue and white as the floor...

dukebsbll14
08-17-2011, 11:52 PM
As for the logo uniformity, destroying one of Duke's most iconic logos (basketball) is a tragedy. It is a much better logo than just the Iron Duke D. Also, removing the Gothic all over Cameron last November was terrible too (did anyone else notice the 2 gothic Ds and gothic painted Duke disappeared)? the gothic on the baseball uniforms is beatifual and the Old English that soccer and tennis use looks great. (Cross Country also had the old stick D with wings....)

YES! I remember going to a game, looking up, and the "Duke" sign was in old English, then I went to another game and it was written in normal text. I was slightly disheartened with that...

Regarding the baseball jerseys, I love the gothic/old English writing. IMO, our white and blue uniforms are the best in the ACC. Especially these, even though I think they're practice jerseys.

Oh how I wish I could play baseball here and tent....sigh

gep
08-18-2011, 12:27 AM
I haven't seen comments on this yet... why is "COACH" and "COURT" in a green box? Ironically, that particular green reminded me of UofMiami. Or is that green box temporary? I would prefer just black letters on the wood court...

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-18-2011, 10:10 AM
If only the uniforms were as strictly blue and white as the floor...
Sometimes things evolve in a direction that requires some correction. As you know, the introduction of black in the colors of the uniforms was supposed to appeal to the young folk at that time...... same issue was a matter of discussion at the high school where I used to work. It's been a good 15 years since all this was swirling around. Surely that fad is passe now.......

uh_no
08-18-2011, 10:20 AM
I haven't seen comments on this yet... why is "COACH" and "COURT" in a green box? Ironically, that particular green reminded me of UofMiami. Or is that green box temporary? I would prefer just black letters on the wood court...

its just tape or plastic or something for while they're making the floor

loran16
08-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Feels weird to see a Charge Circle painted on the floor though.

AZLA
08-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Feels weird to see a Charge Circle painted on the floor though.

Think of it as a big smile...

PaIronDuke
08-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Oldest I've ever seen the Iron Duke "D" (with the ball and hoop to boot) is a picture with Neil McGeachy's 1972-73 team, I believe from when Duke won it's 1,000th game. Logo didn't make it to the uniforms until 1977-1978, which is also when the 2nd floor was put in Cameron and it took on its mostly similar to today look. The old D (a.k.a. the "stick D" is from the 1950s and 1960s. In the 1970s a disturbing looking Devil appeared on the floor.

Particularly agree with the comment about the Iron Duke D/with the net encircled. Seems like eliminating the net is retrogression, not progress.......

Dev11
08-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Sometimes things evolve in a direction that requires some correction. As you know, the introduction of black in the colors of the uniforms was supposed to appeal to the young folk at that time...... same issue was a matter of discussion at the high school where I used to work. It's been a good 15 years since all this was swirling around. Surely that fad is passe now.......

I actually talked to Dean Sue about this a few months ago, and she stated the same reason, after which I pointed out how excellent I think our current football uniforms are, with the Colts-looking jerseys and just the Iron D on the helmet (no black). The old jerseys with the black, I think, look horrible, not to mention the black-outlined script "Duke" on the helmets, which couldn't quite fit correctly.

The song is called "Blue and White." Keep it that way.

blazindw
08-21-2011, 07:59 PM
I actually talked to Dean Sue about this a few months ago, and she stated the same reason, after which I pointed out how excellent I think our current football uniforms are, with the Colts-looking jerseys and just the Iron D on the helmet (no black). The old jerseys with the black, I think, look horrible, not to mention the black-outlined script "Duke" on the helmets, which couldn't quite fit correctly.

The song is called "Blue and White." Keep it that way.

While I do like the jerseys that we have now in hoops, I've always wanted to return to what we had the years I was in school:

Home: White/Blue
Road: Blue/White
3rd: Black/Blue/White

When we pull out that black jersey, it means we mean business. However, we should never ever ever ever EVER wear black on the road at the Dean Dome.

Newton_14
08-21-2011, 08:48 PM
While I do like the jerseys that we have now in hoops, I've always wanted to return to what we had the years I was in school:

Home: White/Blue
Road: Blue/White
3rd: Black/Blue/White

When we pull out that black jersey, it means we mean business. However, we should never ever ever ever EVER wear black on the road at the Dean Dome.

I agree with you. I know some despise the black uni's, but I see black as a neutral color, like white, that can supplement the team colors. I like the Blue Road Uni's, but I also love when we play a big game on a neutral court as the road team, or big road games (minus UNC) and we come out in the black uni's. As you stated, it sends a mental message to the opponent, that their chances of victory just went out the door. (Though I admit, that lately we have not fared well in those at times). Just my personal preference. Would love to see the same thing in Football on occasion.

Like I said though, I know many do not like the black and never want to see them again in any sport. I respect those opinion's. It comes down to differences in preference. If we were all just alike it would pretty boring!:D (But can we all agree that these new Smilies suck! Dang that SW Patch was a killer.)

uh_no
08-21-2011, 09:05 PM
I agree with you. I know some despise the black uni's, but I see black as a neutral color, like white, that can supplement the team colors. I like the Blue Road Uni's, but I also love when we play a big game on a neutral court as the road team, or big road games (minus UNC) and we come out in the black uni's. As you stated, it sends a mental message to the opponent, that their chances of victory just went out the door. (Though I admit, that lately we have not fared well in those at times). Just my personal preference. Would love to see the same thing in Football on occasion.

Like I said though, I know many do not like the black and never want to see them again in any sport. I respect those opinion's. It comes down to differences in preference. If we were all just alike it would pretty boring!:D (But can we all agree that these new Smilies suck! Dang that SW Patch was a killer.)

I don't know how anyone can truly hate the black unis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_pPqWfI84

dukebsbll14
08-21-2011, 09:25 PM
I'd actually really like to see us wear the old blue/white road jerseys. I'm a huge fan of the black jerseys, I actually like them over the blue/black road ones we have now. They look legit!

I agree with you. I know some despise the black uni's, but I see black as a neutral color, like white, that can supplement the team colors. I like the Blue Road Uni's, but I also love when we play a big game on a neutral court as the road team, or big road games (minus UNC) and we come out in the black uni's.

In recent years, we've done better at the Dean Dome sporting the black jerseys:
2011-blue-loss
2010-black-win
2009-blue-loss
2008-black-win
2007-blue-loss
2006-black-win
2005-blue-loss