PDA

View Full Version : Sad story -- freak injury to ND recruit could cost his career

OldPhiKap
08-05-2011, 04:41 PM
This is really sad. My heart goes out to him, his family, and Mike Brey:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/Heralded-Notre-Dame-basketball-recruit-Eric-Katenda-blinded-in-left-eye-080511

Bob Green
08-05-2011, 04:53 PM
This is indeed a sad and unfortunate incident. I'm very happy to read Notre Dame will honor the young man's scholarship:

Brey said the plan now is for Katenda to be fitted for goggles to see whether it is possible for him to play. He added that Katenda's scholarship will be honored whether he suits up for the Irish or not.

Perhaps this story will have a happy ending, but Katenda has a hard road ahead of him.

CameronBornAndBred
08-05-2011, 06:14 PM
This is indeed a sad and unfortunate incident. I'm very happy to read Notre Dame will honor the young man's scholarship:

Perhaps this story will have a happy ending, but Katenda has a hard road ahead of him.
Agreed on ND's doing the right thing. He still knows the game, and will be in a storied program under an excellent coach. Regardless of if he plays again, he could use his time on the bench to earn time on the bench in the future, but get paid for it. Dickie V was a one eyed coach, ya' know! Best of luck to him, hopefully he makes the most of the opportunties that he still very much has.

moonpie23
08-05-2011, 09:48 PM
ND doing the stand up thing.....good for them...

it's tragic, but he'll be fine.....i put my left eye out as a toddler......i manage just fine, i just can't get a pilot's license and the 3D glasses don't work...:cool:

ChicagoCrazy84
08-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Very sad but I agree, I think we will see a happy ending with this story.

He seems like a very good kid that will work his way back.