PDA

View Full Version : Terps lose Palsson

jimsumner
08-01-2011, 11:06 PM
From Maryland press release

"Forward Haukur Palsson is leaving the University of Maryland to pursue a professional basketball career in Europe, head coach Mark Turgeon announced Monday.

“Hawk informed us today that he intends on pursuing a professional basketball career in Europe,” said Turgeon. “He wants to be closer to home and to be able to start providing for his family. We appreciate Hawk’s contributions to Maryland basketball and we will always wish him the best in his professional basketball career.”

Palsson, who had three years of eligibility remaining, appeared in 32 games for the Terrapins as a freshman last season, including three starts. The Reykjavik, Iceland, native averaged 2.8 points per game and 2.1 rebounds per game. "

gumbomoop
08-01-2011, 11:36 PM
No laughing matter for the Terps, who were already looking at a 4-guard lineup for big minutes.

But just for a chuckle, note Palsson's listed position in this early preview of the top 68:

http://www.thehoopsreport.com/article.aspx?id=770

DukieInBrasil
08-03-2011, 01:08 PM
the front page mentioned that UMd and Turgeon are down to 7 (or 8) players and is going to have to bring in lots of walk-ons. Couldn't they just hit up the Juco circuit for some bodies? Granted any juco players left unsigned by now are probably not the best available players, but they have to be better than walk-ons. Sign 2 guys for 2 years and this year's depth problems become a lot less of a hassle plus it would provide some maturity to a really young team next year.

CameronBornAndBred
08-03-2011, 01:31 PM
the front page mentioned that UMd and Turgeon are down to 7 (or 8) players and is going to have to bring in lots of walk-ons. Couldn't they just hit up the Juco circuit for some bodies? Granted any juco players left unsigned by now are probably not the best available players, but they have to be better than walk-ons. Sign 2 guys for 2 years and this year's depth problems become a lot less of a hassle plus it would provide some maturity to a really young team next year.
That seems like a reasonable idea, but would there be enough time to get them enrolled? Also, how do the scholarships work in that scenario? I mean, I know Palsson left, but is his scholarship transferable to another player? The benefit of the walk-on is that scholarships are not an issue, and obviously Turgeon has that concern.

Moreover, it has proven exceedingly difficult at such a late date to find prospects worthy of the available scholarships on hand.
“It’d be really hard to use [the scholarships] for next year,” said Turgeon, who launched into building relationships with Washington area high school coaches his first week on the job. “There’s always [a prospect] floating around. Trust me, we’ve tried [to find deserving scholarship players]. But we’re not going to add a piece just to add a piece. (http://wapo.st/nFo29R) We want to make sure we bring in the right guys, so we’re being selective.

I have no idea what out of state tuition to Maryland is, but I bet it's not cheap. So unless he offers a JuCo guy, that kid's parent's are going to have to cough up some dough, and of course he will still ultimately be a walk-on.

-bdbd
08-03-2011, 03:34 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/post/palssons-departure-clouds-prospects-of-maryland-basketballs-thin-ranks/2011/08/02/gIQAD6XopI_blog.html

Now down to eight scholarship athletes, Maryland returns only three players who have started a game for the Terrapins. All three are guards: senior Sean Mosley and sophomores Terrell Stoglin and Pe’Shon Howard.

Turgeon is already trying to tamp down expectations: “I’m not saying we’re going to lose next year, because we’re going to try to win every game,” Turgeon said in a telephone interview Tuesday. “I don’t know what lies ahead. I don’t know how good our players are.”

Asked if he viewed the task ahead as a complete overhaul of the Terrapins, Turgeon said: “I don’t think it is. We have some good guards in the program. We just don’t have the depth we need.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/post/haukur-palssons-departure-leaves-maryland-even-more-short-handed/2011/08/02/gIQAVTLapI_blog.html

I was listening to DC Sports-Talk yesterday afternoon, aka "The Sports Reporters," and they were saying that this leaves MD with only 8 scholarship players, and only three who are 6'6" or taller ("one of whom who is listed at 6'10" and generously at 200 lbs"). Lots of discussion around playing a three-guard offense and even, in effect, a 4-guard set, with a 6'4" PF. Expect them to run a lot. No choice. Could be a long year in riot-ville, er, College Park. :rolleyes:

Turgeon seems well regarded, but the reporters were discussing how long that good will should last in the face of a probable long, bad losing season. They were openly comparing it to Gary's worst season in his time in MD, way back when he started (about 20 years ago), and only won about 12 games.

I agree that it is probably too late for any serious Juco talent to still be available. They just need to bite the bullet for a year and really hit the recruiting trail. BTW, they really think they have a strong shot at 6'10" McGary (a Duke target) from NH. Certainly no shortage of playing time available.

UrinalCake
08-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Looks like they picked up a big man from the Ukraine who has some game. This should help.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Maryland-Adds-7-foot-2-Ukranian-Star-Oleksiy-Len-35896

Jim3k
08-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Embedded in the Inside Maryland Sports link was the official announcement (http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/082911aaa.html) of Alex Len's enrollment and eligibility. He says he found Maryland due to its game against us: "I saw a video of Maryland playing Duke in Comcast Center in 2010 season. I could not believe the atmosphere - 18,000 people, excitement and fans running onto the floor after the victory. It was unbelievable."

OK, Alex; you wanted it, now you've got it. Duke will be ready!

UrinalCake
08-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Embedded in the Inside Maryland Sports link was the official announcement (http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/082911aaa.html) of Alex Len's enrollment and eligibility. He says he found Maryland due to its game against us: "I saw a video of Maryland playing Duke in Comcast Center in 2010 season. I could not believe the atmosphere - 18,000 people, excitement and fans running onto the floor after the victory. It was unbelievable."

OK, Alex; you wanted it, now you've got it. Duke will be ready!

That was actually the second time he saw the Terps play us. The first time was the previous year, during their 2009 game in Cameron.

"I saw a video of Maryland losing by 41 points. It was unbelievable - slam dunks, fast break alley-oops, wide open three pointers! The fans were so loud I couldn't hear myself think. I only wish I could be playing for the other team."

Okay, I just made that up. Can't resist a chance to bag on Maryland.

dchen09
08-29-2011, 10:23 PM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/08/29/maryland-adds-potential-lottery-pick-in-len/

Being from Maryland I'm actually really excited. Sounds like a great late pickup and good for the ACC to get some foreign talent/exposure.

Bluedevil114
08-30-2011, 09:29 AM
I guarantee this will be an upgrade on the free throw line compared to Jordan Williams but that is it. I loved watching Jordan Williams work so hard in the paint last season, just to get to the line and bang two off the backboard. I will miss those days.

-bdbd
08-30-2011, 04:35 PM
I guarantee this will be an upgrade on the free throw line compared to Jordan Williams but that is it. I loved watching Jordan Williams work so hard in the paint last season, just to get to the line and bang two off the backboard. I will miss those days.

A blind man would be a FT shooting improvement over Williams! :D

This looks like an important "get" for the new coaching staff, which is quickly establishing some recruiting credibility. Without the big Ukrainian, Len, MD was going to be totally overwhelmed on the boards, and still may be so much of the time. Great late pick-up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/post/maryland-basketball-signs-a-center/2011/08/29/gIQAo5denJ_blog.html

DukieInBrasil
08-31-2011, 04:33 PM
A blind man would be a FT shooting improvement over Williams! :D

This looks like an important "get" for the new coaching staff, which is quickly establishing some recruiting credibility. Without the big Ukrainian, Len, MD was going to be totally overwhelmed on the boards, and still may be so much of the time. Great late pick-up.

Don't get too excited bagging on players from other teams who shoot poorly at the FT line. We've got a 40% FT shooter ourselves in "Brick" Mason Plumlee.
I agree that this is a huge pick-up, both literally and figuratively. A) he is huge B) they had no inside presence at all before picking him up, so he is the entirety of their "big" presence.
The ACC just got a little bit better by this addition.