PDA

View Full Version : Inside Carolina

duke79
07-29-2011, 04:02 PM
For the first time ever, I spent some time today on the insidecarolina.com website today to see what they are saying about the mess in Carolina athletics. I hate to be naive, but they really hate Duke (or the alternative spelling, as they like to call it) over there. Jeez. Any thread relating to Duke is just filled with vitriol for everything Duke. Don't they have a life in Chapel Hill?

jimsumner
07-29-2011, 04:14 PM
For the first time ever, I spent some time today on the insidecarolina.com website today to see what they are saying about the mess in Carolina athletics. I hate to be naive, but they really hate Duke (or the alternative spelling, as they like to call it) over there. Jeez. Any thread relating to Duke is just filled with vitriol for everything Duke. Don't they have a life in Chapel Hill?

The premium board is a good bit more rational. But, you're right about the free board. A bit squirrely.

akhan786
07-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Haha I have also noticed that NC State fans really hate UNC.

Of course we hate UNC as well but we are...um...less vocal about it as our Pack Pride friends...

gumbomoop
07-29-2011, 04:35 PM
The premium board is a good bit more rational. But, you're right about the free board. A bit squirrely.

Although the Squirrel Nut Zippers did originate in CH maybe 15 years ago, we probably shouldn't hold them responsible for Idiot Carolina. Ditto for Alvin and the Chipmunks. Not to mention the white squirrels of Transylvania County, NC.

The idiocy on Idiot Carolina is frequently unfathomable.

Jarhead
07-29-2011, 04:36 PM

Mrs. Jarhead doesn't allow me to got there anymore, so tell them for me to go to rehab. They need help. Are they blaming us for the Butchy firing? Pretty lame for a senior citizen,eh?
http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif
CRUNCH-UNCCH

juise
07-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Also known as... 9j (http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf).

RelativeWays
07-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Inside Carolina......you will never find a more wreched board of hypocrites and frauds.

hurleyfor3
07-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Reading IC hurts my brain, like a hangover without the pleasure of getting drunk. I advise against it.

-bdbd
07-29-2011, 06:57 PM
I admit I've peeked a few times over the years - maybe a couple times a year - and almost always come away smiling (and shaking my head). Kind of like when you're at a grown-up party and you pause for a few minutes to watch the kids playing in the back yard away from adult supervision, and they are constantly fighting, name-calling, throwing temper-tantrums and generally misbehaving (and blaming everyone else for their troubles). Really pretty funny if you don't get drawn into the pettiness.

Afterthought: More than once, when confronted with a haughty Carolina fan friend (I know, hard to imagine, huh?) explaining to me how high-brow and intelligent the NC fans are.... I've just sent them over to IC, and simply rested my case.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

gumbomoop
07-29-2011, 07:16 PM
I admit I've peeked a few times over the years - maybe a couple times a year - and almost always come away smiling (and shaking my head). Kind of like when you're at a grown-up party and you pause for a few minutes to watch the kids playing in the back yard away from adult supervision, and they are constantly fighting, name-calling, throwing temper-tantrums and generally misbehaving (and blaming everyone else for their troubles). Really pretty funny if you don't get drawn into the pettiness.

Afterthought: More than once, when confronted with a haughty Carolina fan friend (I know, hard to imagine, huh?) explaining to me how high-brow and intelligent the NC fans are.... I've just sent them over to IC, and simply rested my case.

My congrats to -bdbd for the cleverest inclusion of political commentary into an ostensibly relevant post re Idiot Carolina. I trust the mods will not be too severe on -bdbd for this delightful editorial on our Congress.

bdevil94
07-29-2011, 08:49 PM
They come by it honestly, dagummit!!! Not to make excuses, but they see their leaders/coaches always putting the blame on something or someone else, so why would we expect different from them.
I just avoid IC, unless I just want a good laugh...

camion
07-29-2011, 09:13 PM
I never go to IC.

But then I've never shoved a red hot poker in my eye either so what do I know?

verga
07-29-2011, 10:16 PM
to be one of the many banned from IC.

duke79
07-29-2011, 10:24 PM

Apt analogy. Yea, from just browsing through a few threads that had to do with Duke (mostly recruiting news), many of the posts seemed unusually puerile and lame. Calling Coack K "rat" or "rat face" (now, that's original), calling Wojo a "troll", trashing Duke's "faux Gothic" architecture, and other attempted put-downs of Duke and Durham. I'm hoping these posts are not indicative of the average Carolina student. I mean, it is a decent school.

-jk
07-29-2011, 11:42 PM
(so can all y'all cut our mod team just a bit of slack? please? they have a god-awful, thankless task otherwise...)

Devilsfan
07-30-2011, 06:37 AM
One difference in the two schools is that every Duke student could have gone to Carolina. "The older I get the less I listen to what people say and the more I look at what they do." Andrew Carnegie.

weezie
07-30-2011, 09:29 AM
(so can all y'all cut our mod team just a bit of slack? please? they have a god-awful, thankless task otherwise...)

AWWWWWwww, there, there poor jk! You know we love you!

IN fact, I feel a mod appreciation thread coming on....

Oh, and as for inside tarhole-ina, it's hilarious to read, when I remember that it exists. Talk about your toothless, stubble-chinned pig-wrestlers!

BD80
07-30-2011, 11:00 AM
... as for inside tarhole-ina, it's hilarious to read, when I remember that it exists. Talk about your toothless, stubble-chinned pig-wrestlers!

The IC folk generally don't have the courage to wrestle a pig, unless they are feeling amorous ...

rsvman
07-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Also known as... 9j (http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf).

This thread is actually a little more 9k than 9j, if you ask me.

Oh, and by the way, 9f.

devildeac
07-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Even Wheat scoffs at the folks over there.

killerleft
08-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Deems May, who is an ex-footballer at UNC, speaks to the Faithful about The Day Football Died (my title). He certainly calls the firing of Butch a de-emphasis of football at Carolina.

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1091090.html

In Butch He Trusted

roywhite
08-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Deems May, who is an ex-footballer at UNC, speaks to the Faithful about The Day Football Died (my title). He certainly calls the firing of Butch a de-emphasis of football at Carolina.

In Butch He Trusted

Thanks for posting. I was able to read the whole thing, not sure whether to laugh or just shake my head.

Not a word about the rules broken, the agent involvement, the academic short cuts, John Blake, etc., etc.
Just constant repetition of "de-emphasizing football" and how that makes UNC a laughing stock among major schools.

And even trashed old Bill Friday. Wow.

roywhite
08-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Relating to this last post, I came across a quote from Bill Friday, which apparently bothers the Deems Mays of the world.

N&O: Thorp stands alone (http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/07/29/1376232/thorp-stands-alone-for-now.html#ixzz1Tn3cPN4l)

Bill Friday, former president of the UNC system, said it's too soon to judge Thorp's performance. He said the first priority for anyone who cares about the university is identifying the people who pushed so hard to try to turn the football team into a national powerhouse.

"We've got work to do and we've got issues to resolve, but the first one has got to be ferreting out where this pressure comes from," he said. "Who is generating it? Why is it this win-at-any-cost mentality?"

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Back in 2008 Deems May was recognized as the recipient of the Cranial Rectitus Award by State Fan Nation. This link offers some special quotes from Mr. May.
http://www.statefansnation.com/index.php/archives/2008/11/24/winner-of-novembers-cranial-rectitus-award-deems-may/

After reading this article I have to wonder where Carolina finds these guys?

Duvall
08-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Back in 2008 Deems May was recognized as the recipient of the Cranial Rectitus Award by State Fan Nation. This link offers some special quotes from Mr. May.
http://www.statefansnation.com/index.php/archives/2008/11/24/winner-of-novembers-cranial-rectitus-award-deems-may/

After reading this article I have to wonder where Carolina finds these guys?

The University of the People does not find such men; it molds them.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-01-2011, 03:10 PM

In Butch He Trusted
Mama Mia! I've been through a lot of wars with the Carolina faithful, but this letter "beats all" as they say in the country. It certainly covers lots of ground in ways hard to imagine..... "carpet bomb" Kenan? End up double digit underdog to Vandy/Duke in three years?

After you read this letter, then read the article about the award the State Fan Nation gave Mr. May. (The link is in another of my posts.) His comments in that article certainly are consistent with his letter to IC.

killerleft
08-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Only one person has taken issue with Deems, at least on the first page of that thread. My favorite comment was from someone who said, "(Bill)Friday has gone Joseph McCarthy on those who want a successful football program.".

JRH1010
08-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Inside Carolina = Devils Den

I do of course read it, being a UNC fan and all, but I like the atmosphere here much better. This board seems to be more adult then either of those two. Do you ever check out the TDD? It is tough to read, as is IC. Just pure hate all the way around.

devildeac
08-01-2011, 04:33 PM
The University of the People does not find such men; it molds them.

It's starting to sound like a lot of them arrive already moldy.:rolleyes:

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-01-2011, 04:58 PM

I do of course read it, being a UNC fan and all, but I like the atmosphere here much better. This board seems to be more adult then either of those two. Do you ever check out the TDD? It is tough to read, as is IC. Just pure hate all the way around.

Welcome! It's quite possible to have a reasonable conversation here.

gumbomoop
08-01-2011, 05:08 PM

I resist believing this. If true, it hurts my head, and other things. As they say, sometimes the truth hurts.

The very existence of the = sign in JRH1010's post has sent me spiraling into a deep funk. Thank heavens DBR is so funky, because I need funky, not funk.

Funky you, DBR. Funk you, IC.

watzone
08-01-2011, 08:05 PM
A Duke fan going to an IC message board is like self inflicted flogging. So, the real question is why do some like it? Masochistic tenancies?

killerleft
08-01-2011, 11:58 PM
A Duke fan going to an IC message board is like self inflicted flogging. So, the real question is why do some like it? Masochistic tenancies?

The trick is in knowing when to visit. Now is a good time. And, no. We are not renting a masochist, they're free over there;)

jdj4duke
08-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks for posting. I was able to read the whole thing, not sure whether to laugh or just shake my head.

Not a word about the rules broken, the agent involvement, the academic short cuts, John Blake, etc., etc.
Just constant repetition of "de-emphasizing football" and how that makes UNC a laughing stock among major schools.

And even trashed old Bill Friday. Wow.

And let's not forget his favorite mot de guerre, "gutting". I also had to laugh/shake my head at his comments about his potential endowments of athletic scholarships, and his recitation of the long list of sports that need his apparently now-"strained resources. I know it's too much to expect, and that his primary allegiance is to the "athlete" part of "athlete-student, but it would have been interesting to see Deems pledge some support even to one non-athletic area of the University. Say, for the Logic or English curriculum, or perhaps for Sociology to set up a program on "The Role of Organized Sports and Especially Football in What Purports to Be a Major State Supported Academic Institution".

As for IC, it is almost astonishing to me that they, even they, would publish Deems' diatribe against so many powers that be UNC. Not sure that i would have told that story. On a more general note, I repeat my long-ago comment that "reading IC is like volunteering for food poisoning".

PADukeMom
08-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Going over to Inside Carolina is like trying to wacth a Real Housewife Reunion show while sober; a lot of people talking over each other & everyone is talking gibberish.

sagegrouse
08-02-2011, 11:55 AM
And let's not forget his favorite mot de guerre, "gutting". I also had to laugh/shake my head at his comments about his potential endowments of athletic scholarships, and his recitation of the long list of sports that need his apparently now-"strained resources. I know it's too much to expect, and that his primary allegiance is to the "athlete" part of "athlete-student, but it would have been interesting to see Deems pledge some support even to one non-athletic area of the University. Say, for the Logic or English curriculum, or perhaps for Sociology to set up a program on "The Role of Organized Sports and Especially Football in What Purports to Be a Major State Supported Academic Institution".

As for IC, it is almost astonishing to me that they, even they, would publish Deems' diatribe against so many powers that be UNC. Not sure that i would have told that story. On a more general note, I repeat my long-ago comment that "reading IC is like volunteering for food poisoning".

The part I like best about Deems May's piece is that it equates taking action to stop rampant cheating in the football program to "Deemphasis of football at UNC."

Almost as good is the gratuitous slap at William Friday, who was president of the UNC system from the mid-fifties to the mid-eighties. Friday is known for his work to control the excesses in college athletics. "... [S]ince Bill Friday and Holden Thorp's decision to de-emphasize football...." OMG, what a demon! And to be up to such mischief at age 91, including serving as an undeclared co-chancellor.

sagegrouse

oldnavy
08-02-2011, 12:50 PM
The part I like best about Deems May's piece is that it equates taking action to stop rampant cheating in the football program to "Deemphasis of football at UNC."

Almost as good is the gratuitous slap at William Friday, who was president of the UNC system from the mid-fifties to the mid-eighties. Friday is known for his work to control the excesses in college athletics. "... [S]ince Bill Friday and Holden Thorp's decision to de-emphasize football...." OMG, what a demon! And to be up to such mischief at age 91, including serving as an undeclared co-chancellor.

sagegrouse

He used the word de-emphasis or a version of at least 5 times. I wonder why that word? Is that his real name or a nickname?

OldPhiKap
08-02-2011, 01:01 PM
He used the word de-emphasis or a version of at least 5 times. I wonder why that word?

It's the only one that came up on his Google search.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Do you think he started out doing a search based on his name?;)

OldPhiKap
08-02-2011, 01:19 PM

Excellent catch! I'll go ahead and say "yes" just because.

devildeac
08-02-2011, 02:25 PM

sagegrouse

He used the word de-emphasis or a version of at least 5 times. I wonder why that word? Is that his real name or a nickname?

Unless, of course, a tutor "helped" him with his correspondunce (sic).

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Unless, of course, a tutor "helped" him with his correspondunce (sic).
No tutor involved. He's no longer enrolled as a student. The man says he's strapped for cash.... can't pay for a box in the new tower without having buddies chip in.

killerleft
08-02-2011, 04:09 PM
No tutor involved. He's no longer enrolled as a student. The man says he's strapped for cash.... can't pay for a box in the new tower without having buddies chip in.

And he's thinking about skipping out on that, now that Carolina is de-emphasizing football.

oldnavy
08-02-2011, 04:27 PM
And he's thinking about skipping out on that, now that Carolina is de-emphasizing football.

Deems da breaks!