PDA

View Full Version : So what are the changes?

Lord Ash
07-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Noticed a bunch! Love the new tools for posting. Not sure about replacing the pitchforks with green squares, although it is probably fine. Is there anything else under the skin that we should know about?

devildeac
07-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Looks like we are missing a "link" for checking our most recent comments that used to be in the R upper corner next to "setting" or "notifications."

devildeac
07-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Looks like we are missing a "link" for checking our most recent comments that used to be in the R upper corner next to "setting" or "notifications."

Hmm, tried to edit post and could not in the usual old manner. Wanted to add to my post: perhaps replace green rectangles with basketballs with the Duke logo on them?

DukieInKansas
07-26-2011, 02:23 PM

And I just gave some comments to people. I hope they get them.

When I post, I just get a lot of empty boxes above the text box. There is one with color showing, a font button and a size button but the other buttons don't show anything.

OK the first button that is just a blue button makes your post WYSIWYG - I like that.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-26-2011, 02:32 PM
Well, the "Settings" button/link is gone. And this Reply to Thread set up is definitely different and probably incomplete since there are mostly blank boxes above the text box, although if you scroll over them stuff appears or happens, like "justify left, right or center". So obviously this is a work in progress. :cool:

OZZIE4DUKE
07-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Noticed a bunch! Love the new tools for posting. Not sure about replacing the pitchforks with green squares, although it is probably fine. Is there anything else under the skin that we should know about?
I see zporkz, not green squares.

Jim3k
07-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Well, the "Settings" button/link is gone. And this Reply to Thread set up is definitely different and probably incomplete since there are mostly blank boxes above the text box, although if you scroll over them stuff appears or happens, like "justify left, right or center". So obviously this is a work in progress. :cool:

Is the DBR fixing something that is not broken? I don't get it.

Plus, at this hour. I don't see any DBR explanation --

DukieInBrasil
07-26-2011, 02:54 PM
plus i noticed that while typing your comment, the word will just continue in the next line, but not actually move the whole word to the next line. However, when you post the comment the words appear complete and together. Pretty annoying.

CameronBornAndBred
07-26-2011, 03:04 PM

Yup...however I notice that if you hold your mouse over the green boxes, it gives you a designation. I'm "all-ACC". (yay!) Was that option there before? (I like the pitchforks better than the moldy boxes.)

akhan786
07-26-2011, 03:20 PM
My only problem with the changes is that you can hardly distinguish which thread has a new post and which thread you've already read.

The color differentials aren't very pleasing to the eyes..

-jk
07-26-2011, 03:31 PM
The web hosting company applied a patch to fix a bad security hole. We're now trying to restore the board to its rightful look. It might take us a bit to get it back to our normal.

Sorry for the trouble.

-jk

CameronBlue
07-26-2011, 04:00 PM
The web hosting company applied a patch to fix a bad security hole. We're now trying to restore the board to its rightful look. It might take us a bit to get it back to our normal.

Sorry for the trouble.

-jk

please do something about the debt crisis while you're at it. Ferris Bueller was able to hack into his high school's computer surely you guys can come up with something at least as creative.

DukieInKansas
07-26-2011, 04:45 PM
please do something about the debt crisis while you're at it. Ferris Bueller was able to hack into his high school's computer surely you guys can come up with something at least as creative.

But no pressure! :D

devildeac
07-26-2011, 04:57 PM
I see zporkz, not green squares.

There were green rectangles there earlier today. Really. I have not had any of these:

-jk
07-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Looks like there's a new table feature! (Thanks to Della for spotting it.)

You have to use "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing" (you can find it in your settings).

-jk

-jk
07-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Some of you have noticed an error when trying to edit a post. This is a problem introduced with the new patch. We're working on fixing it, but it's eluding us so far.

If you need to edit a post, you can change your view to the Mobile style (at the very bottom of the page), edit your post, then change back to the Blue style.

thanks for your patience.

-jk

ThePublisher
07-27-2011, 03:36 PM
I like the new posting thing. But... on firefox 5 when viewing a thread the whole part up top with 'view first unread, thread tools, search thread...." is invisible until I scroll over it.

-jk
07-27-2011, 04:34 PM
I like the new posting thing. But... on firefox 5 when viewing a thread the whole part up top with 'view first unread, thread tools, search thread...." is invisible until I scroll over it.

We're playing with things to see if we can smoke out the edit issue.

-jk

Jderf
07-27-2011, 05:20 PM
We're playing with things to see if we can smoke out the edit issue.

-jk

Big thanks to the moderators, by the way, for dealing with stuff so that we don't have to. We know you guys volunteer your time so that we lazy bums don't get forcefully herded over to the pay sites, and we appreciate it.

devil84
07-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that we're working on getting the editor buttons to display consistently, getting the edit post buttons to work, and working on making the labels on thread tool button/links to be visible.

One thing that stands out is the explanation on setting your editor interface. To do this, click on Settings (above and on the right), then find General Settings (under "My Settings" in the third box down on the right). Here's what it says:

Miscellaneous Options
Message Editor Interface:

Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
Basic Editor - A simple text box
Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

When posting messages to the forums or other members, there are three interface types available to you. The simplest of these is a simple text box, while the last is a fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor, which allows you to format your text as you want it and see the results immediately.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.

Please note that last paragraph. Different browsers have different feature sets -- IE8, IE9, Firefox 4, Firefox 5, Chrome 12, etc., all may work with the editor differently. If you're having problems, check your settings and try a different one -- perhaps that will work differently. (And yes, the Basic Editor is simply a text box -- no buttons). I won't guarantee that switching to a different interface will magically fix the problem, but it certainly is worth a try.

Feel free to drop me a PM and let me know if changing it works -- be sure to tell me what browser(s) you use. We do know that some people see the editor just fine and others do not. It may (or may not) be related to which browser/version and selected editor interface.

Meanwhile, we are working to ferret out what changed. Be patient -- we'll get it soon!