PDA

View Full Version : Capel not named in OU report

BD80
07-25-2011, 03:55 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/#!/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/30848400

Capel not named in NCAA decision. Good news.

Azdukefan
07-25-2011, 08:14 PM
For me personally, this solidifies our "coach in waiting." While I have no insight to the matter, my gut says that Capel is the man we want and need when the man, the myth, the legend calls it a career. Capel was my first choice until the OU stuff came out and I think this clears his names and paves the way for him to be our next head coach.

licc85
07-26-2011, 05:41 AM
For me personally, this solidifies our "coach in waiting." While I have no insight to the matter, my gut says that Capel is the man we want and need when the man, the myth, the legend calls it a career. Capel was my first choice until the OU stuff came out and I think this clears his names and paves the way for him to be our next head coach.

Whoa . . . hold on, let's not get carried away, a lot of things can happen in the next 5-10 years before Coach K ever decides to call it a career. Coach Capel is a competent recruiter, and has made a few NCAA tournament appearances, but nothing on his resume so far tells me he's capable of running a top 3 basketball program in the NCAA and reaching Final Fours year in and year out. I need to get to know him better first . . . but you may be right, I don't see a ton of logic in returning to Duke as an assistant unless you have a chance becoming the coach in waiting.

But anyway, there's nothing wrong with hiring someone from outside the program, I'd be down like a clown if we hired Brad Stevens in 8 years, ESPECIALLY if he gets to a couple more final fours. I want someone proven, and can be the face of a massive basketball nation and never falter. Don't forget, Coach K had no ties with Duke prior to his hire.