PDA

View Full Version : 5 best dunks in Duke History video

bluedevilsince72
07-24-2011, 11:23 PM
Just came across this video titled "Top 5 Dunks in Duke History". Amazing plays. I like the Gene Banks dunk on Ralph Sampson. I remember seeing it as a kid and was totally blown away. Very rare video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri4d7sPGXXg

Lord Ash
07-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Great video, thanks for sharing!

I've got to say, one that I think I am missing is one of Nolan's over two guys from Southern Illinois... it was a fierce dunk. But yeah, some great ones there... loved Corey, Jones, and Hendo's dunks... loved Johnny's dunk too.

meloveduke
07-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Yeah wonderfull find.

I've got to say, one that I think I am missing is one of Nolan's over two guys from Southern Illinois... it was a fierce dunk. But yeah, some great ones there... loved Corey, Jones, and Hendo's dunks... loved Johnny's dunk too.

Ash is the one your talking about? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwLlOafV3hg

Acymetric
07-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Johnny Dawkins is such a baller.

licc85
07-25-2011, 02:31 AM
That was a sick video, thanks for sharing it

bdevil94
07-25-2011, 08:58 AM
For me it's Phil Henderson dunking on Alonzo...

killerleft
07-25-2011, 09:21 AM
For me it's Phil Henderson dunking on Alonzo...

Phil's dunk had all the ingredients of a dunk for Duke fans to remember. But perhaps you had to be watching when it happened to get the full effect. Henderson more or less out-attituded the whole attitude-laden Georgetown team with that one perfect stuff over one of the NCAA's best shot blockers. It was actually worth way more than the two points that popped up on the scoreboard. It meant Duke had taken away any edge G-town might have had over Duke.

DukeSean
07-25-2011, 12:18 PM
thanks for the video link! I didn't become a Duke fan until I started going there in 99, but the footage of dunks before my time definitely put a huge smile on my face this Monday morning

yancem
07-25-2011, 12:34 PM
I would have been cool is during the "tradition continues" part of the video had River's dunk from the other night that was similar to Hill's NC game dunk. Mason and Miles should have been included in that section as well seeing as both of them have had some monster jams over the past few seasons.

phaedrus
07-25-2011, 12:53 PM
In my view, the most significant dunk in recent Duke history was this one (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/stop-the-presses-zoubek-dunked). I was in utter shock when it happened, despite not even seeing it - I was listening to the radio broadcast. It (that particular game, if not the dunk alone) seemed to create a certain momentum that carried us to a national championship.

I couldn't find a video, but I'd love to see it.

Verga3
07-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Phil's dunk had all the ingredients of a dunk for Duke fans to remember. But perhaps you had to be watching when it happened to get the full effect. Henderson more or less out-attituded the whole attitude-laden Georgetown team with that one perfect stuff over one of the NCAA's best shot blockers. It was actually worth way more than the two points that popped up on the scoreboard. It meant Duke had taken away any edge G-town might have had over Duke.

Well stated. Seeing Phil elevate and float down the lane to posterize the most intimidating shotblocker in the game is still my #1. I had forgotten about the Dawkins reverse...he just keeps elevating. Great find!

Newton_14
07-25-2011, 07:14 PM
My top 5 are
1. Banks over Sampson
2. Phil Henderson over Mourning
3. Johnny Dawkins backwards dunk over the kid from Navy off of a steal
4. Grant Hill's lob dunk in Kansas National Title game
5. Grant over Montross from the baseline

Honorable Mentions
Dennard's first ever Duke reverse dunk
Gerald Henderson over the thug from Maryland
Sophomore Nolan Smith ACC Championship Dunk against FSU

Fuqua's Finest
07-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Corey Maggette...Temple....'99....Video below....Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ZF_oaO1lA&feature=related

cbnaylor
07-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Man I miss that 1999 team. They had everything. I'm still haunted over the traveling call/no time out.

magjayran
07-26-2011, 01:33 PM
I had never seen that Gene Banks dunk over Sampson before. Holy cow!

Two of my favorite dunks in Duke history were by Tony Lang. One was against Iowa or Iowa state. They had some big time center at the time and Tony dunked all over him. It was unexpected and nasty. I wish I remembered more specifics. I remember Chief giving him a huge bear hug afterward.

The other was an FSU game. It was a complete route for the Blue Devils and just about every player on Duke's team that was capable of dunking got a turn. Even Marty Clark. But Tony got out on the break in the second half and put it down over every single member of the FSU team including all the guys on the bench, the coaching staff, and the first row of their fans who had all rushed to the rim to defend the shot. Ok maybe it was only two or three Seminoles but it still seemed impossible. He hit the ground hard and Chris Collins was dragging him to his feet before he even had the chance to think about being hurt. I'd love to see a replay of either one of those.

Jeff Frosh
07-26-2011, 02:39 PM
If I recall correctly, before the game, someone (Elton?) told Corey that one of Florida's players had hit high up on the backboard with his hand in a disrespectful (to Duke) manner. Corey said "don't worry, I'll take care of that during the game." So Corey dunked, grabbed the rim and lifted himself up to where he could wipe that handprint off the backboard, knowing that it would cost him a T but not caring. Does anyone else remember that? Corey had a few highlight plays in that game.

AZLA
07-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Man I miss that 1999 team. They had everything. I'm still haunted over the traveling call/no time out.

Yah, it's astonishing '99 didn't win it all. That team was incredible at every position. The 2010 Championship helps to take the sting off like a half dozen shots of whiskey.

hq2
07-26-2011, 09:13 PM
This topic has been done a few times before. Basically, every discussion of incredible Duke dunks always includes
the top three:

1. G Hill's slam in the National Championship. I got to see that one in person, and it still stands as #1, not
just because of how hard it was, but because it was such an emphatic statement "Yes, we are going to
win the National Championship, and that's that!"

2. Henderson's slam on Alonzo.

3. Gene's slam on Ralph Sampson

The last two were such outrageous face jobs that to this day they defy belief. All of the others are
a little below those three.

My own personal nominee for #4 would be one that Josh McRoberts did against Carolina (does anyone
remember this one?). He caught the ball about eleven feet in the air about 7-8 feet from the basket,
leaned in backwards, and reverse slammed it. It was jaw-dropping.

And now that they've showed a replay of Johnny D's reverse slam on Doug Wojcik, I agree it belongs
in the top 5; I'd forgotten how incredible it was.

Dennard's dunk in '78 gets honorable mention.

licc85
07-26-2011, 10:39 PM
I actually agree with the original video's top 5, all of those dunks were spectacular and were during crucial games or moments where a highlight reel dunk in someone's face can actually affect the course of the game. If there was a #6 though, I'd go with the Dahntay Jones push ups dunk, I know it during a regular season game, but man, when I saw that one on TV when it happened, it was like my legs stood me up by themselves. I mean, it was incredible, he went straight at the opposing team's center, took a monster hit, and STILL threw it down emphatically.

NovaScotian
07-27-2011, 01:12 AM
My own personal nominee for #4 would be one that Josh McRoberts did against Carolina (does anyone
remember this one?). He caught the ball about eleven feet in the air about 7-8 feet from the basket,
leaned in backwards, and reverse slammed it. It was jaw-dropping.

Yes! That alley oop from Sean dockery was one of many highlights from the 06 game at nc (Everytime I step on a court I try to recreate jj's behind the back dribble - step back - nail the j move). Mason also finished a similarly fantastic alley oop in at nc in 2010, in addition to that dope reverse slam when he slapped the backboard on the way down.

I do love all of these, but what exactly is that ryan kelly dunk doing there?

licc85
07-27-2011, 01:57 AM
I do love all of these, but what exactly is that ryan kelly dunk doing there?

you mean mike dunleavy?

killerleft
07-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Since large hands make dunking a bit easier for some guys:

Here's a story from the eighties (google is wonderful) that discusses sports stars with large hands. Amazingly, I found this story while trying to find info on a Burlington, NC, Senators (Wash. Sens farm club) baseball player who could palm six baseballs (!). Wayne Brescher could crush a baseball... when the 'ol curveball didn't fool him. According to the story, he could palm eight baseballs, but I'm thinking the total grew in the telling. They said he could also palm a set of pool balls including the cue ball!

Anyway, here's the story:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-07-19/sports/8702220840_1_thumb-finger-genetic-code

Brescher, by the way, is apparently 65 now, and perhaps retired from Louisiana Wildlife & Game Law Enforcement. I saw him hit a ball in Burlington that was still on it's way up as it went over the left-centerfield fence above a tall light pole at the 375' foot sign.

Highlander
07-27-2011, 11:11 AM
If I recall correctly, before the game, someone (Elton?) told Corey that one of Florida's players had hit high up on the backboard with his hand in a disrespectful (to Duke) manner. Corey said "don't worry, I'll take care of that during the game." So Corey dunked, grabbed the rim and lifted himself up to where he could wipe that handprint off the backboard, knowing that it would cost him a T but not caring. Does anyone else remember that? Corey had a few highlight plays in that game.

You mean this one?

Rich
07-27-2011, 01:34 PM
While I don't think it would go down as one of the top 5 in Duke history, I distinctly remember a baseline driving David Henderson flying and slamming one down against Detlef Schremph's Washington team in Cameron circa 1984-1985. The thing that made it so impressive was that it was one-handed, something our guys didn't do so much of at the time. We were mostly accustomed to 2 handed stuffs from Mark Alarie and I'm not even sure Jay Bilas, who was much beefier in those days, could dunk. It also sealed our victory against a Washington team that knocked us out of the tournament a year earlier so it brought the house down. It was also a national TV game which, in those days, only came once or twice a year. Does anyone else of my vintage recall that one?

davekay1971
07-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Well stated. Seeing Phil elevate and float down the lane to posterize the most intimidating shotblocker in the game is still my #1.

No idea how to find it, but The Chronicle had a GREAT one frame cartoon after that one. It was a drawing of a retirement home from outside (named "Trembling Hills" IIRC) with a word bubble of Henderson asking, "Did I ever tell you about the time I dunked over Alonzo Mourning?" That dunk was amazing, emphatic, and, like G's dunk on Kansas, just told the world that Duke wasn't losing that game.

-jk
07-27-2011, 03:26 PM
You mean this one?

Didn't Ewing get a T for that one?

-jk

Johnboy
07-28-2011, 03:21 PM
While I don't think it would go down as one of the top 5 in Duke history, I distinctly remember a baseline driving David Henderson flying and slamming one down against Detlef Schremph's Washington team in Cameron circa 1984-1985. The thing that made it so impressive was that it was one-handed, something our guys didn't do so much of at the time. We were mostly accustomed to 2 handed stuffs from Mark Alarie and I'm not even sure Jay Bilas, who was much beefier in those days, could dunk. It also sealed our victory against a Washington team that knocked us out of the tournament a year earlier so it brought the house down. It was also a national TV game which, in those days, only came once or twice a year. Does anyone else of my vintage recall that one?

Absolutely. I'm so glad you posted, 'cause I'd have posted the same thing!

UrinalCake
07-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Didn't Ewing get a T for that one?

Err... Maggette? Maybe I'm missing a joke. Anyways, he absolutely got T'd up and deserved it. I'm a little surprised Coach K didn't pull him afterwards, as he showed such blatant disregard for any sort of sportsmanship. You can see the dunk at about 20 seconds into the video at the top of this thread.

Highlander
07-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Err... Maggette? Maybe I'm missing a joke.

You are. See Throaty's Handy Pocket Reference, Appendix topic G.
http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf

Ewing had a string of 3-4 games where he received some rather questionable technicals. The running joke was that whenever someone on any other team did something bad, the refs reflexively T'd up Ewing for it.

Newton_14
07-28-2011, 10:30 PM

Ewing had a string of 3-4 games where he received some rather questionable technicals. The running joke was that whenever someone on any other team did something bad, the refs reflexively T'd up Ewing for it.

Very true. One of those came in a game with Wake. Chris Paul slammed Ewing's head to the floor in a loose ball scrum so the ref T'd up Daniel for the offense!:)

ArnieMc
07-29-2011, 08:51 AM

Ewing had a string of 3-4 games where he received some rather questionable technicals. The running joke was that whenever someone on any other team did something bad, the refs reflexively T'd up Ewing for it.I think the first one was when, during a stoppage in play, Ebekwe of Maryland deliberately elbowed Ewing in the head causing Bob Donato to T up Daniel. After that, it sort of became a trend. :rolleyes: