PDA

View Full Version : "Yes ma'am, I do. Highest honors", said Mo Brooks (front page)

Poincaré
07-20-2011, 05:30 PM
I loved it!

However, what kind of idiot interviewer does not check the interviewee's vita before the interview? She should not have asked the question because she should have known the answer from her preparation.

Whether you agree with Mr. Brooks' politics or not (I didn't know who he was until today), you have to love the fact that he inadvertently exposed a poorly prepared person masquerading as a professional.

Mike Corey
07-20-2011, 11:06 PM
A reporter not knowing that someone they're interviewing (though this did not appear to be much of an interview) graduated summa cum laude does not render them amateurish or unprepared. The fact that the "interview" was more of a debate renders that journalist an amateur; then again, that would indict most television personalities. But even if Mr. Brooks hadn't graduated with honors in economics, the question was silly: the line of questioning could have just as readily been answered without a degree in economics as with a degree in economics. The MSNBC personality was trying to score a rhetorical point, and flopped miserably. The rejoinder was damn good, wasn't it?

Either way, glad to see another Duke alum in politics.

weezie
07-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Delicious!
Politics aside, it's great to see somebody slam dunk a talking head of any persuasion.

OZ
07-21-2011, 12:36 AM
However, a degree from an institution, even one as highly regarded as Duke does not afford someone immunity from the idiocies of politics - i.e., Richard Nixon.

uh_no
07-21-2011, 09:26 AM
I loved it!

However, what kind of idiot interviewer does not check the interviewee's vita before the interview? She should not have asked the question because she should have known the answer from her preparation.

Whether you agree with Mr. Brooks' politics or not (I didn't know who he was until today), you have to love the fact that he inadvertently exposed a poorly prepared person masquerading as a professional.

uhhh Link?

DukieInKansas
07-21-2011, 09:50 AM
uhhh Link?

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=41790

Poincaré
07-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Delicious!
Politics aside, it's great to see somebody slam dunk a talking head of any persuasion.

Exactly. Talking heads are horrible, regardless of their opinions.

yancem
07-21-2011, 02:17 PM
However, a degree from an institution, even one as highly regarded as Duke does not afford someone immunity from the idiocies of politics - i.e., Richard Nixon.

What is your point? Do disagree with "his" economic theories or politicians in general. The point of the thread is, politics aside, the reporter/journalist looked foolish for trying to call him out about his economic credentials when he in fact is well educated on the subject. I have to wonder what kind of economic background she has because if she didn't study economics herself, that makes the question that much absurd.

hudlow
07-21-2011, 03:17 PM
He coulda said..."no but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night."

diveonthefloor
07-21-2011, 04:01 PM
I loved it!

Tim Russert would be ashamed of what NBC news has become.

uh_no
07-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Tim Russert would be ashamed of what NBC news has become.

People still watch network news?

davekay1971
07-22-2011, 08:30 AM
I dunno, Mo, do you really think it was a bad idea to keep the world largest financial institutions in operation and that massive failure of such banks would have no significant effect on the world and US economy?
sagegrouse

Aoooga, Aoooga, PPB territory alert, Aoooga! :D

Joking aside, the extended clip I saw was basically a talking points arguement between the Democratic Party POV (represented by the MSNBC "journalist") and the Conservative (note I say conservative, as the Republican Party must still acknowledge that the financial industry bailout was a bipartisan initiative). In this thread we should certainly avoid any discussion about whether the Democratic or Conservative talking points have more merit, but what is fair to say is that there is no way a reporter, masquerading as in impartial journalist, should be engaging in a talking points debate with a politician. The fact that she did a remarkable faceplant, at least, provides some amusement to what would otherwise be yet another example of the deterioration of American journalism.

(To keep things "fair and balanced"...ha ha ha...conservative leaning news outlets have been guilty of the same kind of psuedo-journalism that Ms. Contessa was exhibiting in this interview/debate/debacle. Further discussion about the biases in American news outlets and the merits of TARP can be had, at the high level we've become accustomed to, in the PPB. Oh, wait...never mind)

JBDuke
07-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Folks, I have deleted a few posts in this thread that were straying into public policy territory, which is not allowed on this board. This thread is "on-topic", since it is discussing content of the DBR Front Page, but even that front page article mentioned an ambivalence towards the politics of the situation - just an appreciation for seeing a snooty questioner get her comeuppance.

Please, let's keep the content of this thread in that vein - no discussion of the relative merits (or lack thereof) of the bailout/TARP/etc. And let's not turn this into an economics seminar, either.