PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs Kentucky - the bench

NovaScotian
07-19-2011, 09:22 AM
One of the most exciting parts about moving someplace like the triangle is being able to immerse yourself in the local food. However, as a vegetarian, hitting up all the best BBQ places will be primarily for the sides (or vegetables, as one place put it, though I'm not sure Mac and Cheese is a vegetable). What are y'all's suggestions about which BBQ places have the best sides? My previous favorite was the Barbecue Joint in Durham, but I understand it was closed in the last year or so.

killerleft
07-19-2011, 09:57 AM
In Greensboro, Country BBQ on Wendover near I-40 has some baked beans that have cut-up green peppers and onions in them. I can see where the unadventurous may find them too sharp (tart?) tasting, but I love them beans.

devil84
07-19-2011, 10:17 AM
My family really loves Backyard BBQ (http://www.sweetribs.com/backyard-bbq-durham-rtp-nc-restaurant-menu.html) at 54 & 55, just off I-40 in Durham. The macaroni and cheese is divine! NOT low calorie, but it nourishes one's soul. Their sweet potatoes are pretty good, too. Everything there is delectable. You'll need to ask if the beans and black-eyed peas are cooked with pork. And for the carnivores in the group, the pulled pork and ribs are wonderful.

Dixie Belle's (http://www.dixiebellesbbq.com/textmenu.shtml) in Apex is another place that we frequent. They're pretty good -- a little too "upscale" for a traditional BBQ place, but they are one of the few open on Sunday. Decent sides, and one of the few places in the Triangle that offers a choice of creamy or Lexington slaw. For those reading along and want to know about the meat, they also offer eastern, western, and South Carolina sauces for pork and have poultry and beef options.

Haven't been to Bullock's in Durham or Cooper's in Raleigh recently, so I'll let others comment. I've also eaten at Stamey's in Greensboro recently...during the last ACC Tournament. IIRC, they had excellent sides (and pork)...but everything tasted pretty good during the ACC tournament, particularly when there are Tar Heel fans at the next table and could discuss the number of seconds that they were leading their opponents. ;)

Dillard's BBQ (Durham) has gone out and so did Gordon's (Apex). Sad to see Dillard's go. They were an institution. Gordon's meat wasn't great, but the sides were some of the best. Sorry to see them go, too.

Jarhead
07-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Shouldn't this thread be on the Elizabeth King Forum?http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/icon_joker.gif

NovaScotian
07-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Shouldn't this thread be on the Elizabeth King Forum?http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/icon_joker.gif

please move it, if necessary. i could use all the advice available.

from what i remember, bullock's sides are pretty disappointing, though the sides at mama dips are splendid.

roywhite
07-19-2011, 11:52 AM
I've become a fan of Smithfield's Chicken and Bar-b-Que. It's a chain of 20 to 25 restaurants, so far all in the eastern half of NC (farthest west is Mebane, I believe). The purists here may insist on smaller operations, but so far I've found good consistent quality and service at the 4 or 5 locations I've hit.

The fried chicken is good; my choices for sides are slaw and Brunswick stew.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-19-2011, 12:15 PM
I've become a fan of Smithfield's Chicken and Bar-b-Que. It's a chain of 20 to 25 restaurants, so far all in the eastern half of NC (farthest west is Mebane, I believe). The purists here may insist on smaller operations, but so far I've found good consistent quality and service at the 4 or 5 locations I've hit.

I like both the fried chicken and the Q at Smithfield's, and not just because I live in Smithfield. BTW, the chain is NOT based here.

Did you know that you can also get BBQ'd chicken, i.e. in a red BBQ sauce, upon request. My wife orders that because it is not fried. They also offer fried shrimp which is also pretty good!

Whenever DukeTaylor is coming down to Durham for a game, he places a call to Ozzie's Delivery Service for a pint or two of Smithfield's Q to go :cool:

OZZIE4DUKE
07-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Probably not, since it's primarily about the sides and not about the Q, and this is a different topic. Well, that's my http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/02cents.gif worth anyway.

Oh, wait, it's already been moved. Never mind... http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

CameronBornAndBred
07-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Since they are CORNmeal...I will say that your veggie best side choice is a basket of hushpuppies. Some places are better than others, but none are bad. And often they are free with your meal when you sit down. :D

killerleft
07-19-2011, 01:37 PM

I enjoy Smithfield's, also. They are in eastern N.C., but don't they limit the pork used to the shoulder or butt? Whichever, being born a Lexington-style man, I use the sauce they give out with the chicken.

Dukehky
07-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Bullock's BBQ off hillsboro road in Durham is I think, the best BBQ in the triangle. If you want some really exquisite stuff, head up to Woodlands in Blowing Rock, NC, or the Hickory Smoke House in Hickory, NC.

I agree Smithfields is very good, but I've found that it can be very hit or miss, it can be great, but it can be pretty mediocre as well.

Bob Green
07-19-2011, 02:34 PM
I agree Smithfields is very good, but I've found that it can be very hit or miss, it can be great, but it can be pretty mediocre as well.

I agree Smithfields can be hit or miss. The last time I ate there the food was pretty disappointing and seeing as I only visit NC once a year I cannot afford disappointing BBQ.

CameronBornAndBred
07-19-2011, 02:39 PM
I agree Smithfields can be hit or miss. The last time I ate there the food was pretty disappointing and seeing as I only visit NC once a year I cannot afford disappointing BBQ.
We promise to make you happy at the Stanford tailgate Bob.

Lid
07-19-2011, 03:42 PM
I haven't tried The Pig (http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/the-pig-chapel-hills-newest-barbecue-restaurant/Content?oid=1652521) in (shhh) Chapel Hill yet, but I'd like to. They have actual vegetarian food, and good reviews on Yelp. Worth a shot.

Bob Green
07-19-2011, 08:38 PM
We promise to make you happy at the Stanford tailgate Bob.

Thanks!!! I'm looking forward to it. :cool:

rthomas
07-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Bullocks has the best slaw and hush puppies of any, and I mean any, BBQ place. And I have eaten at a lot of places. And I love slaw too.

CameronBornAndBred
07-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Bullocks has the best slaw and hush puppies of any, and I mean any, BBQ place. And I have eaten at a lot of places. And I love slaw too.
Wilbur's is not in the triangle, but if you drive through Goldsboro on the way to the beach, it's a must stop, if only for the hush puppies. I grew up on Bullocks, but I would put Wilburs up against them in a blind test.

NovaScotian
07-19-2011, 09:28 PM
I haven't tried The Pig (http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/the-pig-chapel-hills-newest-barbecue-restaurant/Content?oid=1652521) in (shhh) Chapel Hill yet, but I'd like to. They have actual vegetarian food, and good reviews on Yelp. Worth a shot.

Wow, thank you. This looks absolutely fantastic. I can taste the BBQ mushroom already!

lotusland
07-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Bil Spoons in Charlotte has the best Eastern Q in the West. Great pups and slaw too. The slaw is an unusual mustard based and finely chopped variety. Not bad nana puddin' either. They take cash, checks and IOUs! Stuck my boys with the tab a few times because I, eh hem...forgot... to bring cash. Never took them up on the IOU option though. I heard Mr. Spoon died a few years back and I haven't been back since but they are still open.

Honorable mention for Joes in Whiteville and Shallotte. It's buffett style Eastern with fried chicken and other southern delicacies. Excellent fried squash and nana puddin' too. Make's it real hard to stay awake for the drive north on 17 into Wilmington.

moonpie23
07-19-2011, 10:47 PM
when you're taste buds are dead from eating vinegar on a pig, try SHANE'S RIB SHACK behind triangle town mall near Capital blvd and 540.......awesome.

Greg_Newton
07-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Bullock's BBQ off hillsboro road in Durham is I think, the best BBQ in the triangle.

Whaaa really? Always thought the actual BBQ there was extremely overrated. Allen & Son's is the best in my book, hands down!

Not sure about their veggie options because I always just get the sandwich, but I will say that their sweet potato pie is one delicious heart attack.

brickey
07-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Whaaa really? Always thought the actual BBQ there was extremely overrated. Allen & Son's is the best in my book, hands down!

Put me on Newton's team. I couldn't agree more.

Back on subject...

Unless you're a pesca-tarian, as my wife is, you'll probably find the "veggie" options at Allen & Sons fairly limited (to fried okra, baked beans, potato salad, fries and rings, I think). If you ever fall off the vegetarian wagon, though, this is the place to do it.

The spot devil84 referenced earlier, Backyard BBQ, is much more vegetarian friendly and devilishly good, but don't expect anything on the level of the late Barbecue Joint -- those sides, garnishes, and specials were out of this world. (Barbecue Joint still does catering, I believe; PM me if you want their contact info.)

OZZIE4DUKE
07-20-2011, 04:08 AM
when you're taste buds are dead from eating vinegar on a pig, try SHANE'S RIB SHACK behind triangle town mall near Capital blvd and 540.......awesome.
I'll have to try this next time I'm up that way! :cool:

killerleft
07-20-2011, 08:58 AM

There are two Shane's in Greensboro, both are really good. The greens are great, baked beans, too. And their chicken tenders (I eat them unsauced, but they'll swish 'em around in several sauces if you want) are as good as can be found... not much breading but still a bit crispy on the outside, moist on the inside.

One Shane's is near I-40 and Wendover in the same tract of shoppes as Costco. The other is just off Wendover on Westover Terrace across from Lucky 32.

The pulled pork is good, the ribs are great but pricey (well, about $20 for a full rack).

devildeac
07-20-2011, 09:30 AM
I'll have to try this next time I'm up that way! :cool:

Haven't been to Shane's in a couple years. Sounds like it's time to return with Ozzie and meet Mr. Moonpie:D. Perhaps CB&B will pass through Raleigh and we can have Shane's and then walk around the plaza/pond and have some great pizza at Domenic's, too.

CameronBornAndBred
07-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Haven't been to Shane's in a couple years. Sounds like it's time to return with Ozzie and meet Mr. Moonpie:D. Perhaps CB&B will pass through Raleigh and we can have Shane's and then walk around the plaza/pond and have some great pizza at Domenic's, too.
Sounds like a recipe to ruin my girlish figure!

devildeac
07-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Sounds like a recipe to ruin my girlish figure!

I have seen you eat and tasted your home brews, ribs and standing rib roast. That ship sailed quite a while ago.;):p

brevity
07-20-2011, 02:41 PM
What a good idea for a thread, and the perfect title for it.

That said, I can't believe we've reached a second page of posts and no one has said that they like their BBQ with a side... of BBQ.

moonpie23
07-20-2011, 06:34 PM

i always enjoy watching a band and feeding the Frankinfish in that pond.....i've seen 25lb cat-whatevers swimming to the surface for a thrown fry....

OZZIE4DUKE
07-20-2011, 10:31 PM
What a good idea for a thread, and the perfect title for it.

That said, I can't believe we've reached a second page of posts and no one has said that they like their BBQ with a side... of BBQ.
When I first found Ed Mitchell's restaurant in Wilson (the one that he lost to the tax man...), he served cafeteria style, charging for each item you selected. I got ribs, Q and more ribs. I saw no reason to fill up on sides I didn't really want... :cool:

lotusland
07-21-2011, 02:10 AM

Heading South on I95 earlier this evening around dinner time I passed a sign for the upcoming Smithfield exit, thought about this thread and said "Man I'm hungry for some Bar BQ." So I Googled Smithfields Chicken and Bar BQ and went on over to give it a try. I don't think I've ever had Bar BQ that I didn't like at all so I enjoyed the meal but thought it was pretty average. The pups were a little dry and didn't have much taste and I like my Q chopped a litttle finer. I also tried the stew and it was pretty average too. Seems like you have to cross the GA line to get really good stew. Anyway it hit the spot even if it didn't blow me away. I look forward to tracking down the other joints mentioned in my future travels.

CameronBornAndBred
07-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Heading South on I95 earlier this evening around dinner time I passed a sign for the upcoming Smithfield exit, thought about this thread and said "Man I'm hungry for some Bar BQ." So I Googled Smithfields Chicken and Bar BQ and went on over to give it a try. I don't think I've ever had Bar BQ that I didn't like at all so I enjoyed the meal but thought it was pretty average. The pups were a little dry and didn't have much taste and I like my Q chopped a litttle finer. I also tried the stew and it was pretty average too. Seems like you have to cross the GA line to get really good stew. Anyway it hit the spot even if it didn't blow me away. I look forward to tracking down the other joints mentioned in my future travels.
Smithfields is a chain; I wonder if there are better locations than others. There is one a block away from my office, and I've never seen smoke coming from them, so I doubt very much they cook onsite. Anyone know if this is true or not? I just looked at their website which says they have over 30 locations.

Smithfield's Chicken 'N Bar-B-Q has a 40-year history in serving the finest fried chicken and Eastern North Carolina-style BBQ.
Note...they don't have a history of preparing "the finest", they just have a history of serving it. :rolleyes:

nocilla
07-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Wilbur's is not in the triangle, but if you drive through Goldsboro on the way to the beach, it's a must stop, if only for the hush puppies. I grew up on Bullocks, but I would put Wilburs up against them in a blind test.

I plan on stopping at Wilber's on my way to the beach this August. They are one of the few that still cook with wood. Another one is Grady's, I think, which isn't to far from Wilber's.

devildeac
07-21-2011, 08:41 AM
I plan on stopping at Wilber's on my way to the beach this August. They are one of the few that still cook with wood. Another one is Grady's, I think, which isn't to far from Wilber's.

Two other places that I recall that still cook with wood are Allen and Son and The Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC.

slower
07-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Gotta second the Backyard BBQ and Allen and Sons fans. Bullock's, IMO, is WAY over-rated.

Jackson
07-21-2011, 09:54 AM
The thread is killing me! Living in the BBQ desert that is Florida can be difficult when I see this! I do agree that Bullock's has the best hushpuppies I have ever had.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-21-2011, 10:08 AM
You were about a mile and a half from my house. Were you there when the thunderstorm came through about 6 pm? I lost power in my neighborhood at 6:15, but it was localized to our "block" when lightning hit a transformer and some line fuses.

Anyway, I like their Q and their fried chicken, although at times the chicken can be a bit too salty, and it is "extra crunchy" style. If you had driven another 5 or 6 miles south on Hwy 301 (aka Brightleaf Blvd.) you would have found both White Swan BBQ and Holt Lake BBQ on the right side of the road, both also fine establishments worthy of a try. White Swan is a small "hole in the wall" better known for their catering, and Holt Lake just rebuilt their building after a fire last fall gutted the old one (same thing happened about 30 years ago...). BTW, Hwy 301 reconnects with I-95 at exit #90. You probably got off at #97 in Selma. Had you turned left and crossed back over I-95, you would have found Sami's Pizza (behind the Mobil gas station), and the best cheesesteak and lasagna you've ever had, but that's another thread... :cool: Perhaps on your way back north you'll stop there for lunch or dinner, but we warned, they are closed on Tuesdays.

NovaScotian
07-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Now that I've gotten such swell advice about which vegetarian sides are the dopest (an some unavoidable meat debate), might any of you be able to tell a brooklyn boy where the hell I can get a decent slice of pizza around here? Please be careful with your suggestions, as I will be trying all of these places and judging you harshly if they are actually terrible (eg cinelli's or pop's in durham, and that awful place on franklin street). God help you if you suggest the disgrace to humanity that is I Love Manhattan Pizza.

CameronBornAndBred
07-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Now that I've gotten such swell advice about which vegetarian sides are the dopest (an some unavoidable meat debate), might any of you be able to tell a brooklyn boy where the hell I can get a decent slice of pizza around here? Please be careful with your suggestions, as I will be trying all of these places and judging you harshly if they are actually terrible (eg cinelli's or pop's in durham, and that awful place on franklin street). God help you if you suggest the disgrace to humanity that is I Love Manhattan Pizza.

I can attest to the fact that Domenic's has some kickass NY style pizza. And if you're lucky you can share a brew with DD.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-21-2011, 11:03 AM
You were about a mile and a half from my house.

You probably got off at #97 in Selma. Had you turned left and crossed back over I-95, you would have found Sami's Pizza (behind the Mobil gas station), and the best cheesesteak and lasagna you've ever had, but that's another thread... :cool: Perhaps on your way back north you'll stop there for lunch or dinner, but we warned, they are closed on Tuesdays.

Sami's Pizza in Selma and Angelo's Pizza in Smithfield. Both NY Style pizza, both excellent. Ask Devildeac if you want a second opinion! Angelo's is about 1/4 mile from the Smithfield's BBQ in Smithfield. And please, let me know if you're coming to town and we'll meet up. :cool:

devildeac
07-21-2011, 11:22 AM

I can attest to the fact that Domenic's has some kickass NY style pizza. And if you're lucky you can share a brew with DD.

Tony's Pizza behind Carmax on Glenwood Avenue in Raleigh and NY Pizza with 5 locations in the Triangle are quite good. But that would be a pizza thread:p.

gus
07-21-2011, 11:36 AM

I was reasonably satisfied with the Pizza at Anna's Pizza in Apex, but if you're willing to drive that far, you may as well go to the airport and fly home.

btw, I love that mac 'n cheese is a "vegetable". I don't eat meat either, but still love the smell of a good bbq place when I get the rare opportunity to go.

killerleft
07-21-2011, 03:01 PM
I made a great chili (with beans) the other night. Used ground chicken breast and half as much ground sausage as the meats. Added real garlic, onions, green peppers. Opened one can each of black beans, pintos, and light red kidney beans, to go with a small can of white corn. Added 2 cans of diced tomatoes, 2 little cans of tomato sauce. A square of Knorr's chicken boullion, a square of dark unsweetened chocolate, some Wyler's beef boullion, and 3 heaping tablespoons of chili powder came next. I added a dash of cayenne pepper. As an afterthought I put in some diced celery.

After simmering it for a good 45 minutes over low heat, I ate it. I declared it my best ever. But next time out, I will try to improve upon it just the same. That's because, just like a great barbeque (eastern, Lexington, Texas, KC, etc.), I'm always looking for some more that might be a bit different and still taste mighty fine.

That's why I don't understand how (and especially why) anybody would figure they had found the absolute best barbeque (or chili) and stop looking for more.

Found your ultimate Q? Good. I always hope to find it next time out.

lotusland
07-21-2011, 08:58 PM
I made a great chili (with beans) the other night. Used ground chicken breast and half as much ground sausage as the meats. Added real garlic, onions, green peppers. Opened one can each of black beans, pintos, and light red kidney beans, to go with a small can of white corn. Added 2 cans of diced tomatoes, 2 little cans of tomato sauce. A square of Knorr's chicken boullion, a square of dark unsweetened chocolate, some Wyler's beef boullion, and 3 heaping tablespoons of chili powder came next. I added a dash of cayenne pepper. As an afterthought I put in some diced celery.

After simmering it for a good 45 minutes over low heat, I ate it. I declared it my best ever. But next time out, I will try to improve upon it just the same. That's because, just like a great barbeque (eastern, Lexington, Texas, KC, etc.), I'm always looking for some more that might be a bit different and still taste mighty fine.

That's why I don't understand how (and especially why) anybody would figure they had found the absolute best barbeque (or chili) and stop looking for more.

Found your ultimate Q? Good. I always hope to find it next time out.

I have the best chili recipe so once you try it you can quit looking around. BTW The Hotdog King in Downtown Greenville, SC has the best dogs. Get a chili slaw dog with mustard, chopped onions and a little Texas Pete and don't say anything about relish or any such nonsense.

lotusland
07-21-2011, 09:04 PM
You were about a mile and a half from my house. Were you there when the thunderstorm came through about 6 pm? I lost power in my neighborhood at 6:15, but it was localized to our "block" when lightning hit a transformer and some line fuses.

Anyway, I like their Q and their fried chicken, although at times the chicken can be a bit too salty, and it is "extra crunchy" style. If you had driven another 5 or 6 miles south on Hwy 301 (aka Brightleaf Blvd.) you would have found both White Swan BBQ and Holt Lake BBQ on the right side of the road, both also fine establishments worthy of a try. White Swan is a small "hole in the wall" better known for their catering, and Holt Lake just rebuilt their building after a fire last fall gutted the old one (same thing happened about 30 years ago...). BTW, Hwy 301 reconnects with I-95 at exit #90. You probably got off at #97 in Selma. Had you turned left and crossed back over I-95, you would have found Sami's Pizza (behind the Mobil gas station), and the best cheesesteak and lasagna you've ever had, but that's another thread... :cool: Perhaps on your way back north you'll stop there for lunch or dinner, but we warned, they are closed on Tuesdays.

I missed the T-storms by a hair evidently. I pass by there on 95 once or twice a month so I'll try the other places you mentioned next time. Only problem is I have a company AmEx card for busimess travel and finding a Bar BQ joint that accepts AmEx can be a challenge .

sagegrouse
07-21-2011, 09:31 PM
There's a class of legume known as field peas, which are picked green and shelled, and are unbelievably delicious. No one in their right mind would undertake the growing, picking and shelling on their own. But there are people who do, and they should be candidates for Nobel Prizes, canonization, or the equivalent.

A couple of years ago, while looking for provisions at the beginning of a family week for 14 at Folly Beach, I found at the farmers market on Marion Square in Charleston ("Old Citadel" on some maps), a person who was selling one-pound packages of freshly picked and refrigerated field peas, including the following beauties--

Baby limas or sivy beans
Black-eyed peas
Crowder peas
Cowpeas

These delicacies are tender and still quite green, having been shelled from fresh pods. They are heaven on earth when cooked on their own or gently with onions and some smoked pork. I should have bought everything for sale at this once-a-week market. The 6 or 7 pounds I got were in-suf-fi-cient for the assembled mob.

sagegrouse

OZZIE4DUKE
07-21-2011, 10:52 PM
I missed the T-storms by a hair evidently. I pass by there on 95 once or twice a month so I'll try the other places you mentioned next time. Only problem is I have a company AmEx card for busimess travel and finding a Bar BQ joint that accepts AmEx can be a challenge .
Holt Lake BBQ does. I used mine there tonight after golf! :cool: If you take exit #90 and go north on Hwy 301 about a mile, just after you pass over Holt Lake and the entrance to The Country Club of Johnston County, it will be on your left.

killerleft
07-21-2011, 10:58 PM
I have the best chili recipe so once you try it you can quit looking around. BTW The Hotdog King in Downtown Greenville, SC has the best dogs. Get a chili slaw dog with mustard, chopped onions and a little Texas Pete and don't say anything about relish or any such nonsense.

Most of the better chilis taste quite a bit like Wendy's. Hot dogs are another matter entirely.

Verga3
07-21-2011, 11:04 PM
One of the most exciting parts about moving someplace like the triangle is being able to immerse yourself in the local food. However, as a vegetarian, hitting up all the best BBQ places will be primarily for the sides (or vegetables, as one place put it, though I'm not sure Mac and Cheese is a vegetable). What are y'all's suggestions about which BBQ places have the best sides? My previous favorite was the Barbecue Joint in Durham, but I understand it was closed in the last year or so.

In Durham, the Backyard BBQ Pit #2 on Guess Road has mac & cheese to die for. The cabbage and greens are amazing, too. My plate was just way too small.

Verga3
07-21-2011, 11:14 PM
In Greensboro, Country BBQ on Wendover near I-40 has some baked beans that have cut-up green peppers and onions in them. I can see where the unadventurous may find them too sharp (tart?) tasting, but I love them beans.

Agree completely...love them beans. The BBQ Chicken is best I've ever tasted...fall off the bone, melt in the mouth. But, for breakfast....the best biscuit in the universe is the Country BBQ pork tenderloin. It's huge. Had one this morning. Anyone that I have spoken with says, best ever. Your take, killerleft? Or, maybe breakfast biscuits are another thread....Mods?

killerleft
07-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Agree completely...love them beans. The BBQ Chicken is best I've ever tasted...fall off the bone, melt in the mouth. But, for breakfast....the best biscuit in the universe is the Country BBQ pork tenderloin. It's huge. Had one this morning. Anyone that I have spoken with says, best ever. Your take, killerleft? Or, maybe breakfast biscuits are another thread....Mods?

I've heard several people say they love it. I never happen to be over that way during breakfast hours, but I'll try soon.

Lid
07-22-2011, 11:53 AM
There's a class of legume known as field peas, which are picked green and shelled, and are unbelievably delicious. No one in their right mind would undertake the growing, picking and shelling on their own. But there are people who do, and they should be candidates for Nobel Prizes, canonization, or the equivalent.

My grandmother (who was, in fact, a saint as well as a generally kick-butt Southern lady) made the most delicious field peas... reading your post brought the taste right back. She grew them herself for many years, and there was nothing like them.