PDA

View Full Version : Roy hopes it ticks off some Duke fans

Frybay
07-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Roy was honored today in his home town of Marion, North Carolina with a road side plaque. He said the best thing about this honor would be the Duke fans who would be ticked off about it.
I say way to go Roy but you are barely in the top 10 of all who have coached men's basketball in the state of North Carolina!
GTHC

hurleyfor3
07-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Marion? I thought his hometown was up the mountains on NC 226 in Spruce Pine.

El_Diablo
07-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Wow...now that's an inferiority complex if I've ever seen one.

WakeDevil
07-19-2011, 12:05 AM
Mr. Roy, we are not as fixated on you as your fans are on our coach.

magjayran
07-19-2011, 02:38 AM
Roy was honored today in his home town of Marion, North Carolina with a road side plaque. He said the best thing about this honor would be the Duke fans who would be ticked off about it.
I say way to go Roy but you are barely in the top 10 of all who have coached men's basketball in the state of North Carolina!
GTHC

The best thing about his honor will be when I deface the plaque with red spray paint so State fans get blamed for it.

oldnavy
07-19-2011, 06:37 AM
I guess he was trying to be funny, but the truth is that probably is the BEST thing you could expect from having you name put on the side of a road in the middle of no where. I expect all 5 of the Duke fans that see it every year will be hacked off.

Coach K gets a prime time show on ESPN with Joe Pa, and Ol Roy gets a sign on the side of a road in Marion.... seems about right!

p.s. The man has no grace... why not simply thank the folks for it and leave it at that? Why insult them (joking or not) by saying, the BEST thing about this is that it may P off some Duke fans... really Roy you use the word piss in a public address???

Frybay
07-19-2011, 06:40 AM
http://www.my40.tv/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wmya_vid_4953.shtml

hudlow
07-19-2011, 07:55 AM
I live pretty close to Marion. There's all kinds of signs along the side of the road around Roy's birthplace. For instance...Tomatoes 4 Sale, Lost Dog, Yard Sell Tommorrow and No Tresspassing, just to name a few.

His sign will be in good company.

MCFinARL
07-19-2011, 08:43 AM
p.s. The man has no grace... why not simply thank the folks for it and leave it at that? Why insult them (joking or not) by saying, the BEST thing about this is that it may P off some Duke fans... really Roy you use the word piss in a public address???

In fairness to Roy, he used the word "tick," which is a bit tamer. And if you watch the video clip that was linked by Frybay, the Duke cracks are clearly part of a longer address that is more appropriately grateful and sentimental about the region where he grew up. It's fun to mock him a bit, and he invited it with those remarks, but really I think he was mostly just playing to his audience.

OldPhiKap
07-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Why would they put up a sign for Patrick Roy? I mean, he was a good goalie and all, but c'mon.

NSDukeFan
07-19-2011, 09:03 AM
Why would they put up a sign for Patrick Roy? I mean, he was a good goalie and all, but c'mon.

He is in the discussion for greatest goalie of all time. Had he not backed out of the 2002 Olympics and been the #1 goalie and led the team to the Gold instead of Brodeur, he might have more of a case. Probably too many ifs though. I don't think he has anything against Duke either.

weezie
07-19-2011, 09:07 AM
I live pretty close to Marion. There's all kinds of signs along the side of the road around Roy's birthplace. For instance...Tomatoes 4 Sale, Lost Dog, Yard Sell Tommorrow and No Tresspassing, just to name a few.

His sign will be in good company.

:D:D:D Up here in VA we gots Fresh Eggz signs perched on rusted out old cars. Ya gots any o' dem down there?
Ah RoyBoy, a true light blue tool.

El_Diablo
07-19-2011, 09:24 AM

Oh, I thought we were talking about the guy who proposed to his girlfriend by mailing her an engagement ring. My bad!

hudlow
07-19-2011, 10:08 AM
:D:D:D Up here in VA we gots Fresh Eggz signs perched on rusted out old cars. Ya gots any o' dem down there?
Ah RoyBoy, a true light blue tool.

Naw, that's painted ON the cars down here.

:D

jimsumner
07-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Marion? I thought his hometown was up the mountains on NC 226 in Spruce Pine.

Williams was born in the hospital in Marion, lived for a bit in Spruce Pine and grew up in Asheville and Swannanoa. So, we could festoon the mountains with plaques, should we be so inclined.

OldPhiKap
07-19-2011, 11:18 AM
festoon the mountains with plaques

Sounds like you need a good herbicide.

devildeac
07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Williams was born in the hospital in Marion, lived for a bit in Spruce Pine and grew up in Asheville and Swannanoa. So, we could festoon the mountains with plaques, should we be so inclined.

Sounds like you need a good herbicide.

If there are that many plaques, he probably needs a good cardiologist:rolleyes:.

Indoor66
07-19-2011, 12:31 PM
If there are that many plaques, he probably needs a good cardiologist:rolleyes:.

We'll put him in your office - you know what to do! :confused::cool:

Devilsfan
07-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Yeah roy, a lot of Duke fans drive through Marion, N.C. It's a prerequisite to be able to purchase tickets in Cameron. Now if they renamed 5th Avenue or Rodeo Drive or Pennsylvania Avenue in his honor some Dukies might see it and get a little upset but a street plaque in Marion, N.C. come on!

OldPhiKap
07-19-2011, 01:01 PM

Or dental hygienist.

In related news, the good folks in Lawrenceville, Kansas renamed a street after Roy. Unfotunately, the cuss-filter keeps catching it here whenever I try to state it.

killerleft
07-19-2011, 01:05 PM

LOL, festoon! There's a word we need to see more often! I think Roy's plaque should stay in his mouth where it belongs!

phaedrus
07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
He is in the discussion for greatest goalie of all time. Had he not backed out of the 2002 Olympics and been the #1 goalie and led the team to the Gold instead of Brodeur, he might have more of a case. Probably too many ifs though. I don't think he has anything against Duke either.

I'd go as far as calling him the J.J. Redick of goaltending.

OldPhiKap
07-19-2011, 01:40 PM
I'd go as far as calling him the J.J. Redick of goaltending.

Is that like being the Jens Voigt of curling?

DukieInKansas
07-19-2011, 03:21 PM
Is that like being the Jens Voigt of curling?

Totally off topic - but I think Jens Voight is the Patrick Davidson of Germany.

If a street was renamed for Roy in this part of the country, I don't think the sign would stay up very long. (just to put this back on topic)

devildeac
07-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Totally off topic - but I think Jens Voight is the Patrick Davidson of Germany.

If a street was renamed for Roy in this part of the country, I don't think the sign would stay up very long. (just to put this back on topic)

What about Doofus Drive? Or Hateroy Highway?

DukieInKansas
07-19-2011, 03:49 PM
What about Doofus Drive? Or Hateroy Highway?

Those signs have glitter on them. :D

BD80
07-19-2011, 04:08 PM
I, for one, welcome the existence of the plaque. Should I be driving near Marion with an overabundance of fluid in my system, I will appreciate the target.

TonyWR
07-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah roy, a lot of Duke fans drive through Marion, N.C. It's a prerequisite to be able to purchase tickets in Cameron. Now if they renamed 5th Avenue or Rodeo Drive or Pennsylvania Avenue in his honor some Dukies might see it and get a little upset but a street plaque in Marion, N.C. come on!

I live 20 minutes east of Marion and can attest that its a hotbed for tarholes, for every one Duke fan you may find here there are 500 tarheads. I go through Marion often to get to Asheville and you can bet I will be looking for this so called plaque. I have a huge Go Duke decal ready for it, or better yet a "Duke is THE university of north carolina sticker!"

WiJoe
07-19-2011, 10:31 PM
I, for one, welcome the existence of the plaque. Should I be driving near Marion with an overabundance of fluid in my system, I will appreciate the target.

I was waiting for someone to bring up the topic of relief so I didn't have to. Well done. You'll have to aim high, though.

oldnavy
07-20-2011, 06:26 AM
In fairness to Roy, he used the word "tick," which is a bit tamer. And if you watch the video clip that was linked by Frybay, the Duke cracks are clearly part of a longer address that is more appropriately grateful and sentimental about the region where he grew up. It's fun to mock him a bit, and he invited it with those remarks, but really I think he was mostly just playing to his audience.

I apologize, ticked is much more appropriate for a public venue than the other word.

OldPhiKap
07-20-2011, 09:11 AM
I apologize, ticked is much more appropriate for a public venue than the other word.

Sounds like BD80 has the other word taken care of.

BD80
07-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Sounds like BD80 has the other word taken care of.

Yeah, ol' roy ticked me off too. So I'll swing for the scatological cycle:

I wave my private parts at his aunties ...

I fart in his general direction ...

I blow my nose at him ...

He is a tiny-brained wiper of other people's bottoms ...

At least roy and I agree on one thing,

I DON'T GIVE A $H!T ABOUT CAROLINA!

devildeac
07-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Yeah, ol' roy ticked me off too. So I'll swing for the scatological cycle:

I wave my private parts at his aunties ...

I fart in his general direction ...

I blow my nose at him ...

He is a tiny-brained wiper of other people's bottoms ...

At least roy and I agree on one thing,

I DON'T GIVE A $H!T ABOUT CAROLINA!
You omitted:

His mother was a hamster and his father smelled of elderberries. (Or is it the other way around. I haven't watched that movie in years:o.)

CameronBornAndBred
07-20-2011, 10:03 AM
I live 20 minutes east of Marion and can attest that its a hotbed for tarholes, for every one Duke fan you may find here there are 500 tarheads. I go through Marion often to get to Asheville and you can bet I will be looking for this so called plaque. I have a huge Go Duke decal ready for it, or better yet a "Duke is THE university of north carolina sticker!"
I was just thinking, there might be 1000's of tarheels there, but it will only take one Duke fan to make that sign truly picture worthy.

hudlow
07-20-2011, 10:21 AM
I was just thinking, there might be 1000's of tarheels there, but it will only take one Duke fan to make that sign truly picture worthy.

Most of the signs up that way have bullet holes in them. I'll bet the braggin' rights will be pretty coveted for first on this one. More than likely it will be a deer hunter - not necessarily a Duke fan.

-jk
07-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Let's not incite vandalism here, please. It's not our style.

Thanks,

-jk

CameronBornAndBred
07-20-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks,

-jk
I was hardly thinking bullet holes and vandalism. I was more in line with a well placed sticker...taped of course! Just has to be there long enough to snap a picture. :D

BD80
07-20-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks,

-jk

Not to quibble, because I doubt the justice system in Marion would appreciate the nuance, but vandalism requires marring the appearance, and I believe that most of the suggestions so far would enhance the appearance. :D

hudlow
07-20-2011, 02:59 PM
I don't want anyone to think I was encouraging shooting at Huck's sign dadgummit.

It's just the way they mark their territory in those parts.

hud