PDA

View Full Version : Input on Halan Coben's "Myron Bolitar" (ex-Duke BKB star) mysteries?

SmartDevil
07-18-2011, 01:13 PM
I've stumbled on references online to Harlan Coben's "Myron Bolitar" mystery series in which the main charcter is an star ex-Duke basketball player.

I like a good mystery story. Are these worthwhile? Which are the best of them?

Thanks!!

robobevan
07-18-2011, 01:32 PM
I have read or listened to several of his books and enjoyed them. Well worth giving them a try.

Jim3k
07-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Coben is a fine mystery writer. The Myron Bolitar series is fairly gritty; yet he is not a private detective. If you like tough guys, you will like Myron and his wealthy sociopathic friend Win Lockwood. Both have their own sense of justice, much like Spenser and Hawk in Robert Parker's Spenser series. Well worth the 5 hours you will spend with the fictional Blue Devil in each novel.

rthomas
07-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Each book in the Myron series is about a different sport. He is an ex Duke basketball player, blew out his knee in the pros, and is now a sports agent who solves crimes and issues for other athletes. His sidekick is also a Dukie and has a very dark side.

The book you are talking about is about is Fade Away and takes the Duke UNC rivalry to another level.

Fun books But you should read them in order. So to get to Fade Away you need to read a couple others first I think.

Oh yea, one other thing, Myron was the starting point guard at Duke and won two NCAA titles in his four years. Could it be Hurley?

Brian913
07-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Each book in the Myron series is about a different sport. He is an ex Duke basketball player, blew out his knee in the pros, and is now a sports agent who solves crimes and issues for other athletes. His sidekick is also a Dukie and has a very dark side.

The book you are talking about is about is Fade Away and takes the Duke UNC rivalry to another level.

Fun books But you should read them in order. So to get to Fade Away you need to read a couple others first I think.

Oh yea, one other thing, Myron was the starting point guard at Duke and won two NCAA titles in his four years. Could it be Hurley?

Myron is too old to be Hurley. Not only is there the Duke connection, but the novels are set in North Jersey, so I know most of the places he writes about. Though I'm still trying to figure out Castleton.