PDA

View Full Version : News of the World: the Worst of the Worst

sagegrouse
07-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Here is the indictment against the News of the World, as I understand it, and here is a link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43793016/ns/business-us_business/)from MSNBC via Reuters:

NOTW ran a "dirty shop" (as the English say) beyond all believe, sparing no effort and leaving no stone unturned to get scoops. Breaking the law was a mere technicality. Staffers got status by dealing with scummier and scummier informants.

When Scotland Yard got on the case the NOTW staff turned its blunderbuss on the individual investigators, using the same illegal methods to dig up dirt relating to sex and expense accounts. While there were warnings directly to the detectives, the most effective method was to leak the results to other news organizations, with the resulting headlines serving as a warning to others at Scotland Yard. It was devastatingly effective, in that the London police basically dropped the investigation after a couple of minor convictions, leaving huge piles of evidence unexamined.

In carrying out these activities, the NOTW (headed from 2000-2003 by Murdoch favorite Rebeka Brooks) employed convicted criminals in its skullduggery, including those convicted of illegally hacking Internet accounts and phones. And, as the linked article shows, just plain common criminals.

Holy cow! I tend to defend the "legitimate" press in the US (even UNC journalism grads), and I hope that none of this goes on here.

The real question is whether Murdoch and Fox can survive this, even if it jettisons all of the British newspaper properties.

sagegrouse

mph
07-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Here is the indictment against the News of the World, as I understand it, and here is a link (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43793016/ns/business-us_business/)from MSNBC via Reuters:

NOTW ran a "dirty shop" (as the English say) beyond all believe, sparing no effort and leaving no stone unturned to get scoops. Breaking the law was a mere technicality. Staffers got status by dealing with scummier and scummier informants.

When Scotland Yard got on the case the NOTW staff turned its blunderbuss on the individual investigators, using the same illegal methods to dig up dirt relating to sex and expense accounts. While there were warnings directly to the detectives, the most effective method was to leak the results to other news organizations, with the resulting headlines serving as a warning to others at Scotland Yard. It was devastatingly effective, in that the London police basically dropped the investigation after a couple of minor convictions, leaving huge piles of evidence unexamined.

In carrying out these activities, the NOTW (headed from 2000-2003 by Murdoch favorite Rebeka Brooks) employed convicted criminals in its skullduggery, including those convicted of illegally hacking Internet accounts and phones. And, as the linked article shows, just plain common criminals.

Holy cow! I tend to defend the "legitimate" press in the US (even UNC journalism grads), and I hope that none of this goes on here.

The real question is whether Murdoch and Fox can survive this, even if it jettisons all of the British newspaper properties.

sagegrouse

Some pretty disgusting stuff, no doubt, but I don't think Fox's survival is in question at this point. It seems to me that Murdoch's survival and News Corp's survival are two different questions. Even if the criminal activity extends beyond NOTW to Murdoch himself, so long as there aren't misdoings on this side of the pond, it's hard to see successful, publicly owned properties like Fox Broadcasting, Fox News, and the Wall Street Journal going under. Most American's don't know who David Cameron is, let alone Milly Dowler. The context that makes this political poison in the UK isn't present in the U.S.

If Holder's investigation turns up evidence of hacking at Fox News, then all bets are obviously off. But, unless that happens, Fox Entertainment Group should survive whatever happens to Murdoch.

sagegrouse
07-21-2011, 07:37 PM
The potential criminal charges against News Corp. have reached the United States. Here are some specifics on the US allegations (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43847056/ns/us_news-life/) against News Corp. from NBC News's Michael Isikoff, its lead investigative reporter.

The case, subject now to Justice Dept. inquiry, deals with alleged behavior of a News Corp. subsidiary, News America Marketing, that supposedly threatened a small competitor and hacked into its computers. The NY Times reported earlier this week (need link) that this advertising arm of News Corp. had paid $650 million in settlements to firms in that industry.

The Justice Dept. originally acted based on the serious allegations in Britain and the suspicion that News Corp. may have hacked the phones of those who died in 9/11, which would be earth-shattering if any such specifics emerged. The allegations against News America Marketing have been around awhile, since they stem from 2003 and 2004.

If these charges materialize, it could be curtains for Murdoch as CEO and News Corp. as a corporate entity. None of this affects, however, Fox News, the Wall Street Journal and the movie studio, which would certainly continue on course, even if under different leadership or ownership.

sagegrouse

Greg_Newton
07-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Rupert Murdoch apparently from the Butch Davis school. Accept 0% responsibility, just blame the deplorable people you "trusted".

I realize it's the pragmatic move for guys like that, but it's kind of disturbing that it's becoming the norm and not really penalized. Great example for kids...