PDA

View Full Version : Corey's Crappy Crumpets - Mid-July edition

Mike Corey
07-17-2011, 10:38 PM
> Curry has been getting a lot of time in the PG slot, developing his ball handling and game management skills.

> Austin Rivers is an absolute gym rat. He'll show up in the middle of the night to shoot around. Completely obsessed with maximizing his basketball talent. Scary offensive arsenal.

> Alex Murphy has blown people away with his skillset, which compares favorably with Kyle Singler's when he was an incoming freshman. Murphy will not be redshirting, and will compete for serious minutes from day one. This is not the same player he was even a few months ago.

> Capel's done nothing but impress as a coach, bringing a fresh perspective that the coaches and the players are benefiting from.

> Marshall Plumlee has the most offensive moves of his brothers, including a hookshot that is coming along nicely. Not coincidentally, he is also the most comfortable in the paint of the three.

> Tyler Thornton is a workaholic, committed to being the best teammate he can be. Just like Sean Dockery in that regard.

> C*rolina can still go to hell

Hope you're all doing well.

Go Duke.

uh_no
07-17-2011, 10:45 PM
> Austin Rivers is an absolute gym rat. He'll show up in the middle of the night to shoot around. Completely obsessed with maximizing his basketball talent. Scary offensive arsenal.
That's great to hear. There is such a thing as too much. I hope that while he's here he learns to channel that enthusiasm correctly and not let his want to get better interfere, either with team matters or otherwise (academics). I have no doubt that coach has dealt with such enthusiasm before, and knows how to help the student control that enthusiasm without losing it.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-17-2011, 11:40 PM
That's great to hear. There is such a thing as too much. I hope that while he's here he learns to channel that enthusiasm correctly and not let his want to get better interfere, either with team matters or otherwise (academics). I have no doubt that coach has dealt with such enthusiasm before, and knows how to help the student control that enthusiasm without losing it.
Assuming he's in summer school, he's only taking two classes and I'm sure he (and all the freshman) are being taught how to manage his/their study time. And that will still leave plenty of free hours in the day to spend, or invest, in the gym! :cool:

OZZIE4DUKE
07-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Love the update Mike! Tasty crumpets indeed! Not a bit of crap in those morsels.

Kedsy
07-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Love the update Mike! Tasty crumpets indeed! Not a bit of crap in those morsels.

Agree these crumpets are completely crap-free. Thanks, Mike. Exactly the sort of information I crave during the off-season.

Anything interesting about Andre and/or Quinn? How about Mike G?

gumbomoop
07-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Alex Murphy has blown people away with his skillset, which compares favorably with Kyle Singler's when he was an incoming freshman. Murphy will not be redshirting, and will compete for serious minutes from day one. This is not the same player he was even a few months ago.

I'll bite on this crumpet. I saw Murphy twice on tv, most recently a few months ago in that ill-publicized A-S game in Houston the Sunday [I think] right before the NC. I was impressed enough with Murphy's skills and smarts then - in limited minutes, necessitated by rotating everyone in and out - that the idea that he has vastly improved in the intervening few months is very good news indeed.

The recruiting gurus, understandably, had trouble pegging Early AM's ranking, but MC's inside-info does open the possibility that Murphy is way better than the 30s.

sagegrouse
07-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Snort! Snort! Only three more months until we start in earnest. Meanwhile, we have the China-Dubai appetizer and good insights from Corey re practice.

sagegrouse

Mike Corey
07-18-2011, 12:31 AM
Anything interesting about Andre and/or Quinn? How about Mike G?

Nothing specific. I'll see what I can scrounge up for you later in the week!

Mike Corey
07-18-2011, 12:40 AM
we have the China-Dubai appetizer

This is the season to have a trip like this.

Not only will this be a fascinating educational opportunity for the student-athletes, it provides the staff and the team that much more time to gel. Remember, the new coaching staff has to find and develop its own chemistry just like the players do. And this team--which will be one of Coach K's youngest--will need all the on-court and off-court time together that it can get to maximize its potential.

I suspect this team will oscillate between being among the most exciting to the most frustrating to watch in recent memory. So much talent, and so many unknowns.

This is the kind of season that makes us so fortunate to be Duke fans: we're going to get to watch most of these guys mature from young men to grown men on the court. Often times, a lot of that growth occurs behind closed doors on the practice court. We'll also get to see what Miles, Mason and Andre have in store for the rest of the country after having had to develop as role players alongside all-time greats like Nolan and Singler. Each of the guys in that trio has a high ceiling, and each has demonstrated that ability in spurts. I wish I could tell you more about where they're at now.

Lord Ash
07-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Can't give a comment, but thanks for the tidbits Jason, it is really appreciated here in these dog days!

licc85
07-18-2011, 03:41 AM
>
> Alex Murphy has blown people away with his skillset, which compares favorably with Kyle Singler's when he was an incoming freshman. Murphy will not be redshirting, and will compete for serious minutes from day one. This is not the same player he was even a few months ago.

Singler was a first year starter on the 2007 squad . . . so are you saying Alex is good enough to compete for a starting role? I realize Singler started out of necessity, but he was pretty damn good and probably would have won the spot even with solid competition. I'm still skeptical about how ready Murphy is . . . but I haven't been watching them practice. I can't wait to watch him along with everyone else in the China/Dubai games if they are on TV.

Mike Corey
07-18-2011, 06:30 AM
Singler was a first year starter on the 2007 squad . . . so are you saying Alex is good enough to compete for a starting role? I realize Singler started out of necessity, but he was pretty damn good and probably would have won the spot even with solid competition. I'm still skeptical about how ready Murphy is . . . but I haven't been watching them practice. I can't wait to watch him along with everyone else in the China/Dubai games if they are on TV.

I'm saying his skills comparably favorably to Singler's when the latter arrived at Duke, and that because he's so skilled, he's going to contribute a great deal to this year's team.

Whether or not he starts, and ultimately how much those skills translate into production, relies on things that are much harder to assess this many months out. Singler was extremely productive as a freshman because he had that rare combination of skill and heart. The man was just a warrior from day one.

I've no idea what Murphy would be able to put up on this team. But purely from an ability perspective, I'm told he's demonstrating in Durham that he's awfully capable.

du_bb1
07-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Like an oasis in the desert of off season--thanks !

JasonEvans
07-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Ahhh, nothing like off-season practice/pickup reports to make us all feel a little bit giddy! Great stuff, my friend!

The Alex Murphy and Marshall Plumlee comments are borderline Horvathian! I just hope they turn out to be more true ;)

-Jason "I wish I knew who first coined the term Horvathian... it is so perfect ;) " Evans

The Gordog
07-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Assuming he's in summer school, he's only taking two classes and I'm sure he (and all the freshman) are being taught how to manage his/their study time. And that will still leave plenty of free hours in the day to spend, or invest, in the gym! :cool:

2 classes in an 8 week summer term is the same amount of work per week as 4 classes in a normal 16 week semester. Add to that they are going to be out of the country for 2 weeks and I imagine they're pretty busy (if they do take 2 classes).

OZZIE4DUKE
07-18-2011, 11:28 AM
2 classes in an 8 week summer term is the same amount of work per week as 4 classes in a normal 16 week semester. Add to that they are going to be out of the country for 2 weeks and I imagine they're pretty busy (if they do take 2 classes).
I believe that the China trip is after Summer Session II classes are over. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. And I say Session II because I remember the coaches saying that is what the incoming freshman could enroll in (when the assistant coaches told the BDC about the trip when it was announced way back in March or April).

Lord Ash
07-18-2011, 11:52 AM
I personally expect a LOT out of Murph. He is largely considered a very bright, smart, skilled player and was very highly regarded in his own class... did he max out at 11th or something? Following in the shoes (and jersey) of Kyle I do expect Murph to be a starter sooner rather than later at Duke, and to do it with style.

brevity
07-18-2011, 01:18 PM
-Jason "I wish I knew who first coined the term Horvathian... it is so perfect ;) " Evans

Ask and you shall receive. DBR happens to have a search feature.

The earliest two mentions:

10/20/09 by budwom (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?17372-Phase-0-2009-10&p=322203#post322203)
06/06/10 by airowe (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21476-Josh-Hairston&p=413649#post413649)

They should put up a free-standing Duke Basketball Museum and name it the "Davidsonian."

JasonEvans
07-19-2011, 01:05 AM
They should put up a free-standing Duke Basketball Museum and name it the "Davidsonian."

They wanted to build a museum to chronicle all of Patrick Davidson's greatness, but the Louvre complained it would go out of business from the competition.

-Jason "Davidson prepares a giant breakfast for himself every morning... whatever he does not eat is sent over to Per Se and served as the House Special that night" Evans

magjayran
07-19-2011, 02:36 AM
>

Something that I've noticed in this "Twitter era" is that the elite players seem to tweet just as much about practicing as they do about movies and music. I noticed this with Nolan and I'm seeing it a lot with Austin. You can sorta tell when being a great basketball player is the most important thing to a person.

licc85
07-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Something that I've noticed in this "Twitter era" is that the elite players seem to tweet just as much about practicing as they do about movies and music. I noticed this with Nolan and I'm seeing it a lot with Austin. You can sorta tell when being a great basketball player is the most important thing to a person.

I bet top players like Austin have all kinds of NBA personnel following them, to learn about their personality before drafting them. If they are tweeting about working out or being in the gym all the time, it can only help their draft stock. On the other end of the spectrum, if twitter had existed back when Gilbert Arenas was in college . . .

MCFinARL
07-19-2011, 08:47 AM
I bet top players like Austin have all kinds of NBA personnel following them, to learn about their personality before drafting them. If they are tweeting about working out or being in the gym all the time, it can only help their draft stock. On the other end of the spectrum, if twitter had existed back when Gilbert Arenas was in college . . .

Not to get this thread too far off track, but the weird thing about Gilbert Arenas was that he actually did work really hard at his basketball, at least when he was with the Wizards. It was very common (according to press accounts) for him to put in long extra hours shooting and working out on his own.

That being said, I'm sure you are right that, given his tendency to talk first and think later (if ever), Gilbert could well have Twittered himself right out of a chance in the NBA before he even got there.

Duke of Nashville
07-19-2011, 09:11 AM

Nice.

Something else that I have noticed is how close our guys are on the team. Kidding around, joking as they follow each other around campus and other things kids do these days. Last night Tyler, Josh, Quinn, Alex and Kyrie all had a late night workout together. Our team appears to be meshing quiet well. Look for a video from Duke Planet soon on the new freshmen's orientation.

JasonEvans
07-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Not to get this thread too far off track, but the weird thing about Gilbert Arenas was that he actually did work really hard at his basketball, at least when he was with the Wizards. It was very common (according to press accounts) for him to put in long extra hours shooting and working out on his own.

That being said, I'm sure you are right that, given his tendency to talk first and think later (if ever), Gilbert could well have Twittered himself right out of a chance in the NBA before he even got there.

Just so we are clear, Gilbert was not exactly the darling of every NBA scout's eye coming out of Arizona. He was not even a first round draft pick (early 2nd rounder). He had to earn his NBA stardom on the court with a heck of a lot of folks doubting him from the start. His first two seasons in the league, he earned the NBA minimum salary before striking it rich.

That said, he's a dunderhead for the most part who has managed to screw-up what could have been a Hall of Fame career.

-Jason "worth noting that Gilbert has made over $100 mil in his career, so he ain't exactly crying these days" Evans

jimsumner
07-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Just so we are clear, Gilbert was not exactly the darling of every NBA scout's eye coming out of Arizona. He was not even a first round draft pick (early 2nd rounder). He had to earn his NBA stardom on the court with a heck of a lot of folks doubting him from the start. His first two seasons in the league, he earned the NBA minimum salary before striking it rich.

That said, he's a dunderhead for the most part who has managed to screw-up what could have been a Hall of Fame career.

-Jason "worth noting that Gilbert has made over $100 mil in his career, so he ain't exactly crying these days" Evans

Arenas was the consensus #99 recruit out of high school. So, he must have put in some work somewhere along the line.

licc85
07-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Fair point, and I did know that he was a 2nd rounder, but my point was that if scouts had known what kind of person he was beforehand, (Egocentric, loose cannon, etc.) The smart teams would have all passed on him before even talking to his agent or meeting with him. Just look at what he's done for every franchise he's touched . . . just awful. His ridiculous contract is one of the biggest offenders for the way this lockout has turned out.

Kedsy
07-19-2011, 10:50 AM
It was very common (according to press accounts) for him to put in long extra hours shooting and working out on his own.

With which of his many guns? ;)

JasonEvans
07-19-2011, 02:37 PM
His ridiculous contract is one of the biggest offenders for the way this lockout has turned out.

That is hardly his fault. The contract was offered by a team and he accepted. It is not like he held a gun to their head to force them to make him a crazy contract offer.

The team knew who he was and the risks to signing him to a long-term deal.

-Jason "that said, part of the protection the owners want in the new CBA is protection against themselves acting like idiots and making deals like this one" Evans

mr. synellinden
07-19-2011, 02:44 PM
It is not like he held a gun to their head ...

Hmm ...

interesting choice of metaphor.

licc85
07-19-2011, 03:33 PM
It is not like he held a gun to their head

u sure?

edit: darn, someone beat me to it

phaedrus
07-19-2011, 04:21 PM
That is hardly his fault. The contract was offered by a team and he accepted. It is not like he held a gun to their head to force them to make him a crazy contract offer.

The team knew who he was and the risks to signing him to a long-term deal.

Exactly, I think people tend to judge him harshly because he shoots his mouth off from time to time and he can be a selfish gunner out there on the court.

NSDukeFan
07-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Exactly, I think people tend to judge him harshly because he shoots his mouth off from time to time and he can be a selfish gunner out there on the court.

Hmm ...

interesting choice of metaphor.

What he said earlier in the thread.

toooskies
07-19-2011, 05:14 PM
While he's a headcase and overpaid now, there was a time when Arenas was viewed as one of the 5-10 best players in the NBA. One could argue that most of his weakness as a player now is because his injuries have taken away too much, and he hasn't learned how to adapt to a team game since then. But that isn't much different from a bunch of other second-tier superstars.

His big contract was too big, but any owner who signs $100 million+ to a guy who physically can't stay on the court is pretty much asking for it.

IrishDevil
07-20-2011, 10:19 AM

I don't know, if I were an NBA owner, that would certainly be enough to make me gun-shy . . .

MChambers
07-20-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't know, if I were an NBA owner, that would certainly be enough to make me gun-shy . . .
That, and also the fact that with the huge contract Arenas must be loaded!

CDu
07-20-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm intrigued by the Murphy stuff, although I second Jason's comment about just hoping it's not another Horvath thing. I had never really considered Murphy a real threat for PT this year. It would be great if he surprised. Has he been playing more on the perimeter or at the 4?

roywhite
07-20-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm intrigued by the Murphy stuff, although I second Jason's comment about just hoping it's not another Horvath thing. I had never really considered Murphy a real threat for PT this year. It would be great if he surprised. Has he been playing more on the perimeter or at the 4?

CDu....if you haven't already, check out the Pro-Am highlight package from Channel 11 that is on page 9 of the Pro-Am thread.

There is a brief highlight of Murphy around the 0:21 second mark that is very interesting; as another poster mentioned, his fluid ball handling was reminiscent of Dunleavy.

Doing some speculating here, but Murphy looks like another in the line of 3/4 combo guys whom Coach K seems to love.

CDu
07-20-2011, 10:56 AM
CDu....if you haven't already, check out the Pro-Am highlight package from Channel 11 that is on page 9 of the Pro-Am thread.

There is a brief highlight of Murphy around the 0:21 second mark that is very interesting; as another poster mentioned, his fluid ball handling was reminiscent of Dunleavy.

Doing some speculating here, but Murphy looks like another in the line of 3/4 combo guys whom Coach K seems to love.

Saw the clip. I don't tend to read too much into a single clip of a transition play in a game in which no defense is played. I was hoping to get something more from someone who might have seen a team practice (which would involve more defensive intensity and coordinated activity than the Pro-Am).

It's just too hard to take anything meaningful away from the Pro-Am highlights. That move (against that little defense) could be evidence of a fantastic wing skillset. Or it could be evidence of a Kelly/Randolph/McRoberts "stretch 4/5."

roywhite
07-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Saw the clip. I don't tend to read too much into a single clip of a transition play in a game in which no defense is played. I was hoping to get something more from someone who might have seen a team practice (which would involve more defensive intensity and coordinated activity than the Pro-Am).

It's just too hard to take anything meaningful away from the Pro-Am highlights. That move (against that little defense) could be evidence of a fantastic wing skillset. Or it could be evidence of a Kelly/Randolph/McRoberts "stretch 4/5."

Yeah; gotcha.

Though I am reminded of an old saying that you "can tell a lion by it's tail".

Hey, it's summer time and even scant details are appreciated. :)

Mike Corey
07-20-2011, 12:41 PM
CDu,

My sense is that the coaching staff has been thoroughly impressed with Mr. Murphy, and that they have seen him perform similar moves in practices that are surely more intense than the Pro-Am.

I applaud your critical eye. Indeed, I had not expected that Murphy would play much this season. I think he's surprised people within the program, as well--they knew he was an elite player, of course, but he's been that much better than expected.

Let us hope that Murphy continues to dazzle throughout the preseason and straight through March.

DukieInBrasil
07-20-2011, 12:56 PM
CDu,

My sense is that the coaching staff has been thoroughly impressed with Mr. Murphy, and that they have seen him perform similar moves in practices that are surely more intense than the Pro-Am.

I applaud your critical eye. Indeed, I had not expected that Murphy would play much this season. I think he's surprised people within the program, as well--they knew he was an elite player, of course, but he's been that much better than expected.

Let us hope that Murphy continues to dazzle throughout the preseason and straight through March.
Errr, ahhuuummm, i assume that you meant to say "strait through March and into April."

CDu
07-20-2011, 01:13 PM
CDu,

Thanks Mike, although I think you may have missed the intent of my question. I wasn't saying he doesn't have skills - just trying to figure out where his skill set would lead him to playing time (if he gets some this year) on this team.

Has he been seeing more time on the perimeter or playing at the 4 in practice? It's hard to gauge much about his style of play at the college level from the few videos I've seen.

gumbomoop
07-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Errr, ahhuuummm, i assume that you meant to say "strait through March and into April."

I definitely see your point, but maybe MC was thinking something like this: "Murphy and Rivers can get us through March - i.e., into the NC game - at which point K can surely rely on MP3, Cook, and Gbinije to win #5. That would show that UK's fine frosh class wasn't, in the end, the very, very best."

Piece of cake.

Mike Corey
07-21-2011, 10:14 PM
I like the way Gumbomoob thinks. :)

CDU, my apologies for misconstruing your question and for my tardy response.

My sense is that he has mostly been on the perimeter, but I have no idea what Coach K might have up his sleeve. Or sleeves. The man has so many plans he may as well be an octopus.

Funnily enough, Roy Williams is known for wearing sleeveless shirts. Though I hear that's a Chapel Hill thing.

CDu
07-24-2011, 01:13 AM
I like the way Gumbomoob thinks. :)

CDU, my apologies for misconstruing your question and for my tardy response.

My sense is that he has mostly been on the perimeter, but I have no idea what Coach K might have up his sleeve. Or sleeves. The man has so many plans he may as well be an octopus.

Funnily enough, Roy Williams is known for wearing sleeveless shirts. Though I hear that's a Chapel Hill thing.

No need for apologies of any sort. I appreciate the input! I can't wait to see the team in action.

roywhite
07-26-2011, 11:01 PM
We interrupt this crumpet snack for the following:

Whiskers alert (http://twitgoo.com/2kr3fl)

Mike Corey
07-27-2011, 06:09 AM

"Man with beard hath no fear; man against beard have nothing but." - Confucius

wilko
07-27-2011, 09:43 AM

I think we have a Maynard sighting...

1st thing that popped into my head...