PDA

View Full Version : Devonta Pollard's mom yanks him from AAU game.

magjayran
07-16-2011, 01:26 AM
The article says that Duke has some interest in him. If I was a head coach I might not want to deal with an overbearing parent like that. Could be another LDII situation.

Seattledukie
07-16-2011, 11:19 AM
I've got a son in AAU and I've seen things that are not pretty, especially overbearing coaches and parents. I'm not saying she's right but before we judge the woman's actions let's be sure we understand her motivations.

jimsumner
07-16-2011, 12:10 PM
The article says that Duke has some interest in him. If I was a head coach I might not want to deal with an overbearing parent like that. Could be another LDII situation.

Or you might not want to have to deal with the kind of kid who would need to be pulled by a parent.

Earlier this summer Pollard claimed to have a scholarship offer from Duke. Turned out Duke had informed him that they would be looking at him this summer. Not exactly the same thing.

I've heard nothing since to suggest that Pollard is a priority target for Duke. This sure can't help.

magjayran
07-16-2011, 01:05 PM
I've got a son in AAU and I've seen things that are not pretty, especially overbearing coaches and parents. I'm not saying she's right but before we judge the woman's actions let's be sure we understand her motivations.

The article says that he had made two mistakes in a row on the floor. The article also says he came back and played very well. If I was a big time coach I'd have to have a long conversation with the mom before I continued to pursue her son.

Jim3k
07-16-2011, 03:31 PM
The article says that he had made two mistakes in a row on the floor. The article also says he came back and played very well. If I was a big time coach I'd have to have a long conversation with the mom before I continued to pursue her son.

Not linking, but one of the articles says that Mom is a former pro basketball player herself--some long defunct league. She may know the game better than the AAU coach. Still...way too overbearing for my liking.

CameronBornAndBred
07-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Too bad that the South Park writers were not prescient enough to replace "Kyle" with "Devonta".

magjayran
07-16-2011, 03:57 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Top-hoops-prospect-8217-s-mom-pulls-him-from-AA?urn=highschool-wp3733

Here's the link

Devilsfan
07-16-2011, 11:16 PM
I visualize his momma walking out on the court, grabing his ear and leading him off the court. Imagine if she had only waited until he was in college and playing on national TV. It might have made ESPN's Sports Centers' top ten.

Jim3k
07-17-2011, 01:12 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Top-hoops-prospect-8217-s-mom-pulls-him-from-AA?urn=highschool-wp3733

Here's the link

As I've thought about it, it seems likely that she is a volunteer assistant coach who is probably a regular at practice. Otherwise, why would the substitute player pay any attention to her? A sub doesn't go in without approval from the HC. And an asst might well have standing authority to make such a decision, particularly if the asst is coaching intrasquad games.