PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't "L" come after K?

OldPhiKap
07-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Just sayin', Home Board.

superdave
07-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Why did ACCSports.net have to spark a really long thread on DBR?!

Everyone already knows Calipari is coming to Duke in 2018. Gosh.

JBDuke
07-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Just sayin', Home Board.

Not if you're a fan of "Men in Black".

dukeballboy88
07-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Do you guys think it would be possible that K's replacement may come from outside of the Duke family? Just throwing a name out there, Brad Stevens or will it come from someone on the bench now or another coach that played and coached under K?

DevilWearsPrada
07-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Do you guys think it would be possible that K's replacement may come from outside of the Duke family? Just throwing a name out there, Brad Stevens or will it come from someone on the bench now or another coach that played and coached under K?

Coach Brad Stevens (Butler) is a wonderful coach that has accomplished so much with good, but not great talent. He reminds me of the early years of Coach K. However, Coach K has a few more years to crank out at Duke. I would think 3-5 years. So I will savor every game and season with Coach K as our Head Coach.

hudlow
07-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Had me singin' the Alphabet song...

Just to be sure.

-jk
07-15-2011, 10:32 AM
I think Julio must have been posting while sleep deprived again... I let him know.

-jk

CharlestonDevil
07-15-2011, 10:34 AM

So... K has spent 30+ years not just coaching at Duke but building a program, and a dynasty at that. I don't even think if Phil Jackson wanted to coach at Duke after K they wouldn't let him have the job.

The successor will most definitely be a Blue Devil. And to prove my point, imagine this, what if (for whatever unfathomable, awful, dreadful circumstance occured and K was suddenly not our coach this season) the university signed Brad Stevens and he was sitting on OUR bench with Capel, Collins, and Wojo beside him, and the rows behind the bench filled with Duke alums and past players looking on?

Yeah, not happening.

devildeac
07-15-2011, 11:26 AM
One could also make a very good case that "r" comes after K.;)

dw0827
07-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Had me singin' the Alphabet song...

Just to be sure.

Hilarious . . . I did exactly the same thing.

uh_no
07-15-2011, 01:03 PM

as in robert montgomery knight?

OldPhiKap
07-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Let's just jump to "Z"!

devildeac
07-15-2011, 01:25 PM
as in robert montgomery knight?

Not yet...;)

Reilly
07-15-2011, 01:59 PM

No doubt true as far as the alphabet goes, but for a sense of perspective as to qualitatively the more important and profound, consult the massage therapist.

devildeac
07-15-2011, 02:31 PM
No doubt true as far as the alphabet goes, but for a sense of perspective as to qualitatively the more important and profound, consult the massage therapist.

Ahh, yet another clever interpretation. What I actually had in mind was Kr...
;)

-bdbd
07-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Coach Brad Stevens (Butler) is a wonderful coach that has accomplished so much with good, but not great talent. He reminds me of the early years of Coach K. However, Coach K has a few more years to crank out at Duke. I would think 3-5 years. So I will savor every game and season with Coach K as our Head Coach.

Nah. Just look at the man that K recently shared a stage with on ESPN - Joe Pa at PSU. He's coached well past 100 and is still going strong... I like the idea of another 20 years of K!

Seriously, with no indications of slowing down, I think another 5-7 years sounds reasonable, and I'd really be surprised to see anything happen before K hits 1,000 wins.

BTW, did anybody else get the sense that David Glenn wasn' exactly throwing around a lot of compliments towards the K-coaching-tree-guys? Referring to Amaker's pre-Harvard record as "failure" and Johnny D at Stanford as "mediocre", and Brey at Notre Dame as "good, not great," and Capel as potentially "touched by a (NCAA) inquiry..." I'm really referencing the TONE as opposed to the literal letter of the article - it sure doesn't sound like any of these guys are very good (sheesh!).

I don't follow him, but since the ACC Sports Journal occasionally gets accused of being pro-NC@CH, does anyone know much about Glenn and his potential biases? (This is the sort of article I'd expect opposing coaches can/will float in front of potential recruits that we are vying for against them.)

I for one LIKE the idea of looking outside the K family tree, as Duke doesn't hold a monopoly on great potential HC's. So why not include looking outside the K tree (when the time comes in 20 years)? Stephens would be awesome, but as Glenn says again fairly negatively, "Would Duke automatically get a different response (than NCSU, Wake, Oregon, and MD)? "

uh_no
07-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Ahh, yet another clever interpretation. What I actually had in mind was Kr...
;)

what kind of self respecting word starts with that combination?

devildeac
07-15-2011, 04:17 PM

Ahh, not a word;). I was thinking a family/proper name. With lots of conzonantz;)...

hurleyfor3
07-16-2011, 10:19 PM

Well, this topic is kryptonite around here.

Newton_14
07-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Nah. Just look at the man that K recently shared a stage with on ESPN - Joe Pa at PSU. He's coached well past 100 and is still going strong... I like the idea of another 20 years of K!

Seriously, with no indications of slowing down, I think another 5-7 years sounds reasonable, and I'd really be surprised to see anything happen before K hits 1,000 wins.

BTW, did anybody else get the sense that David Glenn wasn' exactly throwing around a lot of compliments towards the K-coaching-tree-guys? Referring to Amaker's pre-Harvard record as "failure" and Johnny D at Stanford as "mediocre", and Brey at Notre Dame as "good, not great," and Capel as potentially "touched by a (NCAA) inquiry..." I'm really referencing the TONE as opposed to the literal letter of the article - it sure doesn't sound like any of these guys are very good (sheesh!).

I don't follow him, but since the ACC Sports Journal occasionally gets accused of being pro-NC@CH, does anyone know much about Glenn and his potential biases? "

I am fairly certain David Glenn is a graduate of UNC-CH, so there is your bias angle.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-17-2011, 09:26 PM
I am fairly certain David Glenn is a graduate of UNC-CH, so there is your bias angle.
David Glenn is the least biased carolina grad you will ever hear report on anything.

Newton_14
07-17-2011, 09:34 PM
David Glenn is the least biased carolina grad you will ever hear report on anything.

Oh, I agree with you there Oz. No argument from me. I enjoy listening to his shows. More often than not he shows no bias. Every once in awhile it seeps through, but not often. At the end of the day though, he is still one of "them". :D