PDA

View Full Version : Tech's Turn

CameronBornAndBred
07-14-2011, 12:32 PM
The NCAA will announce the results of an investigation into alleged violations committed by Georgia Tech’s football program at 3 p.m. today.
The NCAA did say that if Tech commits another major infraction before Nov. 17, 2010, it will be subject to added penalties as a repeat violator.
http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2011/07/14/significant-announcement-expected-at-georgia-tech/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_tech_sports&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

OldPhiKap
07-14-2011, 01:11 PM
"The NCAA has been in what appears to be a testy mood regarding alleged violations and lack of cooperation in wake of scandals at Ohio State, Southern California and North Carolina, among other places."

Ah, the company you keep . . . .

uh_no
07-14-2011, 02:25 PM
at this rate, we'll be the ACC champions by default!

CameronBornAndBred
07-14-2011, 03:27 PM
The NCAA has put Georgia Tech on four years of probation and fined the school $100,000 for violations in the football and men's basketball programs.

Plus they get stripped of the 2009 ACC title.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_basketball/story/9863407/

jimsumner
07-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Statement from Swofford's office.
FYI,

“We are aware of the NCAA’s decision with regard to Georgia Tech. The penalties that have been announced will require Georgia Tech to vacate the 2009 ACC Football Championship. Consistent with NCAA procedures, Georgia Tech will return the championship trophy and the official conference records for 2009 will not designate a champion. All ACC record books will be amended accordingly.”

devildeac
07-14-2011, 05:00 PM
http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2011/07/14/significant-announcement-expected-at-georgia-tech/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_tech_sports&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

FYI,

“We are aware of the NCAA’s decision with regard to Georgia Tech. The penalties that have been announced will require Georgia Tech to vacate the 2009 ACC Football Championship. Consistent with NCAA procedures, Georgia Tech will return the championship trophy and the official conference records for 2009 will not designate a champion. All ACC record books will be amended accordingly.”

Ooooh, does that mean another W for us for the 2009 FB season?:rolleyes:

Duvall
07-14-2011, 05:38 PM

Well, Duke may end up with only five losses.

Hey, a .500 season is a .500 season. A great year, considering.

Bluedog
07-14-2011, 05:50 PM

I know you're kidding, but only the final three games are vacated. So, the Yellow Jackets win against us is still in the record books.

The NCAA vacated the final three games of the football team's 2009 season — a win over Georgia, the Atlantic Coast Conference title game victory over Clemson and the Orange Bowl loss to Iowa.

devildeac
07-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Well, Duke may end up with only five losses.

Hey, a .500 season is a .500 season. A great year, considering.

I know you're kidding, but only the final three games are vacated. So, the Yellow Jackets win against us is still in the record books.

Pzzztt!(sound effect/simulation of air rapidly escaping from balloon.)

Well, there goes one of my dreams/wishes. (You're correct. I was only kidding but a guy can dream, right? :()

DevilWearsPrada
07-15-2011, 07:27 AM
FYI,

I heard about Ga Tech on 99 the fan sports radio yesterday. And was spreading and texting the news to fellow Dukies. Yet, another sad day with Scandal in ACC Football. I expect this kind of behavior in SEC Football, but not the ACC.

I hope the UNC Scandal, Ohio State, Ga Tech, etc will be a wake up call for all programs. Sports radio also talks about schools leaving NCAA and forming their own league. Any thoughts on that topic?

-bdbd
07-15-2011, 03:00 PM
"The NCAA has been in what appears to be a testy mood regarding alleged violations and lack of cooperation in wake of scandals at Ohio State, Southern California and North Carolina, among other places." Ah, the company you keep . . . .

Well, the powers that be have been saying that they wanted to see the ACC achieve the level of "accomplishments" as the SEC in football. Well, be careful what you ask for...

I heard about Ga Tech on 99 the fan sports radio yesterday. And was spreading and texting the news to fellow Dukies. Yet, another sad day with Scandal in ACC Football. I expect this kind of behavior in SEC Football, but not the ACC.

I hope the UNC Scandal, Ohio State, Ga Tech, etc will be a wake up call for all programs. Sports radio also talks about schools leaving NCAA and forming their own league. Any thoughts on that topic?
I'm thinking these punishments and NCAA "mood" have to be a bit unsettling for the folks over in Chapel Hill.... Aren't their sins - agent involvement, money/benefits to players, academic cheating, uncooperative tone, etc. - a bit more significant than Tech's??

I'm thinking after the UNC, GT, other (?) investigations complete, we might even be 2009-bowl eligible soon!! :-)

CameronBornAndBred
07-15-2011, 07:43 PM
One of the players that year, Sean Bedford, gives his response.

Dear NCAA,

Thank you for handing down penalties that only adversely affect the players who did things the right way. This reeks of an organization desperate to prove that it has some sort of control over its member institutions despite lacking the ability and firepower to police the serious offenders and protect the student-athletes whose interests you purport to have at heart.

While I realize that all violations merit some kind of punishment, I have a hard time grasping the notion that one of the proudest moments in my life (and the lives of every other individual that was a part of the team and program in 2009) is apparently worth $312 in your eyes. If that truly is the case, I'd be happy to provide you with that same amount of money (cash or check, your choice) in exchange for the reinstatement of the title my teammates and I earned through our blood, sweat and tears.

It took months of hard work, dedication and personal sacrifice by a team of over 100 players, 10 coaches and countless staff members to achieve that championship, but, evidently, it only takes the handful of pencil pushers, lawyers and professors on your infractions committee to strip us of it.

I was a part of the 2009 ACC Championship team and, while you can pretend retroactively that it didn't happen, I have vivid memories of an incredible season that was, and continues to be, one of the most fun, meaningful, important, and very real times in my 23 years on this planet. I'll be wearing my championship ring with pride and if you want that too, you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead finger.

Sincerely,
Sean Bedford
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/26443/former-gt-center-sean-bedford-responds

Duvall
07-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Paul Johnson seems kind of cranky about something (http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/07/19/paul-johnson-slams-ncaa-for-georgia-techs-probation/).

hq2
07-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Why does all this sound so familiar? I think the real question is, how many successful programs aren't doing this sort of stuff?

oldnavy
07-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Why does all this sound so familiar? I think the real question is, how many successful programs aren't doing this sort of stuff?

I would say that to comply 100% with the NCAA rules would be a daunting task for any school, successful or not. There are just so many rules and folks out there trying to gain access to players that it would be next to impossible to prevent it all.

I believe that if you dig deep enough anywhere you will find something wrong and a lot of how it turns out is based on the attitude of both the investigator and the school.

I had a Joint Commission auditor tell me once that we didn't document drug allergies in patients files because she found 3 records that had blanks in the allergy field. I explained to her that we did not always populate that field when a patient did not have an allergy, but that we really should and would change our practice to doing that. She insisted on giving me a level one finding (non compliance). I ran a report that evening that had over 70,000 different patient files with documented allergies. I showed it to her the next day, but she insisted that we get the penalty. I asked her how she could say that we did not document allergies, when I have 70,000 examples of documented allergies?

We took the hit and spent the next 6 months gathering data to prove to them that we were doing what we were doing all along.

The moral of the story is, if the man wants to get you then man will get you!

cspan37421
07-20-2011, 06:27 PM
FTA

Quote:

“I’m sure I cheated in board games,” the Georgia Tech coach said. “And when I played, yeah, you’d do stuff. Move the ball forward. Move it back. Kick it. Maybe grab a guy where you’re not supposed to. But heck, everybody does that.”

Really? I never cheated in board games. Maybe I'm not competitive enough. But so much for "everybody."

Now, if everybody who is "competitive" cheats, cuts corners and whatnot, how easy is it to justify ANY level of cheating? Where do you draw the line (if you do at all) ... and why there?

Board games? What kind of guy cheats in board games? Aren't you man enough to lose fairly, Coach Johnson?

No wonder the NCAA scene is such a mess.