PDA

View Full Version : Irving signs with Nike

stillcrazie
07-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Kyrie Irving
KyrieIrving Feels good to officially be apart of @nikebasketball! Can't wait to meet all the family I'm going to be apart of.Dreams really do come true!

epoulsen
07-14-2011, 11:16 AM
That is awesome, I can only imagine how excited he is right now!

SupaDave
07-14-2011, 11:31 AM
This should put those concerns of how he's going to pay his bills to bed...

Starter
07-14-2011, 02:22 PM
I wonder how much Kyrie got, I haven't seen money yet. Wall got $25 million over five years, but Reebok was desperate for a flagship player after Iverson's decline. The No. 1 pick in one of the worst drafts ever, and joining a long roster (http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikebasketball/en_US/epic) of Nike athletes, I wonder how he did. I'm going to guess... four years, $13 million? One thing's for sure, LeBron's burgeoning friendship with Kyrie couldn't have hurt. And I'm sure Nike sees this as a golden opportunity to get right back into the Cleveland market.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-14-2011, 06:31 PM
I wonder how much Kyrie got,
He got enough. Enough to justify coming out this year and giving up his sophomore year at Duke. That's the reality of how much he signed for, regardless of the actual number.

SupaDave
07-14-2011, 09:09 PM
He got enough. Enough to justify coming out this year and giving up his sophomore year at Duke. That's the reality of how much he signed for, regardless of the actual number.

After my freshmen year I would've gone pro for a 12 pack and a couple of cheesesteaks from Italian Pizzaria...

Starter
07-15-2011, 01:51 AM

Definitely, I thought he made the right decision. I was just curious because I dig this sort of thing, the finances of sports.

It still blows my mind to think about his meteoric rise, having gone to a bunch of his high school games just a year and a half ago. It seems so far back; so much has happened since then. I was in a Nike outlet down by Newark today and struck up a conversation with a trainer who said he worked with Kyrie in high school. We agreed that provided Kyrie is able to strengthen his body to withstand the pounding of the NBA game -- and potentially add a little more speed to keep up with the elites of the game at his position -- his instincts and skills could put him on par with the greats.

DevilWearsPrada
07-15-2011, 07:18 AM

You are spot on again, OZZIE. Kyrie did the right thing for his financial future. He is taking summer courses at Duke. So, he is working on his college degree, as he promised his Father, he would.

The best to Kyrie on his Endorsements and receiving a Big Payday! More to come in the future, when the NBA lockout is resolved.

SupaDave
07-15-2011, 08:50 AM
You are spot on again, OZZIE. Kyrie did the right thing for his financial future. He is taking summer courses at Duke. So, he is working on his college degree, as he promised his Father, he would.

The best to Kyrie on his Endorsements and receiving a Big Payday! More to come in the future, when the NBA lockout is resolved.

Kyrie is insuring that he will get paid long after his playing days...

msdukie
07-15-2011, 10:43 AM
I assume a line of Irving Duke Nike products are on the horizon....

Starter
07-15-2011, 03:16 PM
I assume a line of Irving Duke Nike products are on the horizon....

I'm not so sure. They sign a lot of players that don't get signature lines. Basically the only ones that have that now are Bryant, James and Durant, and you don't really see KD apparel, just his sneaker line. (Carmelo, Wade and CP3 have their own lines, but under the Jordan brand.) Even Amar'e Stoudemire, the flagship player in one of the two biggest markets, doesn't currently have even a signature sneaker, though he used to have one and could again. Despite being the No. 1 pick, Kyrie is still not a household name, so I wouldn't expect to walk into a Foot Locker in New Jersey and see Nike Kyrie shirts or sneakers on the rack. That said? If he turns into a desperately needed star in Cleveland, you never know -- and I'd personally buy every last item they produce.

msdukie
07-15-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm not so sure. They sign a lot of players that don't get signature lines. Basically the only ones that have that now are Bryant, James and Durant, and you don't really see KD apparel, just his sneaker line. (Carmelo, Wade and CP3 have their own lines, but under the Jordan brand.) Even Amar'e Stoudemire, the flagship player in one of the two biggest markets, doesn't currently have even a signature sneaker, though he used to have one and could again. Despite being the No. 1 pick, Kyrie is still not a household name, so I wouldn't expect to walk into a Foot Locker in New Jersey and see Nike Kyrie shirts or sneakers on the rack. That said? If he turns into a desperately needed star in Cleveland, you never know -- and I'd personally buy every last item they produce.

There have previously been Nike Duke Boozer (Duke/Olympic jersey and 1960s throwback jersey and a third grey/black jersey) and Redick (legacy signature jersey) clothes sold. I would expect at some point there will be some Irving Duke gear sold. Unless Nike only likes to sell former #4s?

Starter
07-16-2011, 12:34 AM
There have previously been Nike Duke Boozer (Duke/Olympic jersey and 1960s throwback jersey and a third grey/black jersey) and Redick (legacy signature jersey) clothes sold. I would expect at some point there will be some Irving Duke gear sold. Unless Nike only likes to sell former #4s?

Ah, okay. I thought you meant a vanity line for Kyrie, or a signature sneaker, neither of which are likely to happen. I guess a Nike Kyrie Duke jersey could release at some point; they made Johnny Dawkins in addition to Boozer. I don't recall the Redick jersey selling anywhere but on campus, but maybe I'm wrong about that.