PDA

View Full Version : Front Page Story About Brand and Tupac

slower
07-12-2011, 01:04 PM
The front page seems to indicate that the inmate confessed to killing Tupac, but my understanding is that he confessed to an earlier shooting, which did NOT kill Tupac.

Please correct me if my statement is incorrect.

mdj
07-12-2011, 01:30 PM
The front page seems to indicate that the inmate confessed to killing Tupac, but my understanding is that he confessed to an earlier shooting, which did NOT kill Tupac.

Please correct me if my statement is incorrect.

you are correct. why would anybody confess to a murder that never happened. tupac lives.

Turtleboy
07-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Someone has confessed to shooting him two years before he was murdered.

http://www.ktla.com/news/mobile/ktla-inmate-confesses-to-shooting-tupac,0,960583.story

DukeHoopsGuru
07-12-2011, 10:48 PM
He is and always will be alive. "Thug life baby." "You can't see me!" Tupac is the greatest lyricist that has ever walked this planet.

Indoor66
07-13-2011, 06:51 AM
He is and always will be alive. "Thug life baby." "You can't see me!" Tupac is the greatest lyricist that has ever walked this planet.

Of course, you say this in jest.

DukeHoopsGuru
07-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Of course, you say this in jest.

Of course I do not. Those who don't know the story of Tupac don't know just how talented he was. He went to the famed Baltimore School of the Arts with Jada Pinkett. They were the only 2 African Americans in the class. It was impossible for minorities to get into that school during that time. He truly was a legend. I stand by my original statement without wavering or trepidation.

slower
07-13-2011, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE=DukeHoopsGuru;510235]Of course I do not. Those who don't know the story of Tupac don't know just how talented he was. He went to the famed Baltimore School of the Arts with Jada Pinkett. They were the only 2 African Americans in the class. It was impossible for minorities to get into that school during that time. He truly was a legend. I stand by my original statement without wavering or trepidation.

You may stand by your statement, but you're not gonna get a whole lot of support when you try to elevate Tupac above Dylan and numerous other great lyricists.

DukeHoopsGuru
07-13-2011, 09:03 AM
You may stand by your statement, but you're not gonna get a whole lot of support when you try to elevate Tupac above Dylan and numerous other great lyricists.

Hey I love Dylan.................but he aint Pac.

slower
07-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Hey I love Dylan.................but he aint Pac.

Exactly. He ain't Dr. Seuss, either. To each his own, I suppose. To be fair, I DID check out some 2pac lyrics and they are pretty strong. Obviously, it's a genre/cultural thing.

DevilWearsPrada
07-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Of course I do not. Those who don't know the story of Tupac don't know just how talented he was. He went to the famed Baltimore School of the Arts with Jada Pinkett. They were the only 2 African Americans in the class. It was impossible for minorities to get into that school during that time. He truly was a legend. I stand by my original statement without wavering or trepidation.

Wasn't Tupac, JJ Redick's favorite singer?

dukeballboy88
07-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Tupac was not only the greatest lyricist of all time but he was top 3 greatest artist of all time.

slower
07-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Tupac was not only the greatest lyricist of all time but he was top 3 greatest artist of all time.

Again, a matter of opinion. Still, that's a fairly ludicrous assertion by almost any measure of public or critical opinion. Unless you're referring to rap/hip-hop artists ONLY.

cspan37421
07-13-2011, 10:36 AM
It was impossible for minorities to get into that school during that time.

I do not think [that word] means what you think it means.

nmduke2001
07-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Princess Bride quote...Well done.

mdj
07-13-2011, 10:49 AM

no it does. Tupac was able to convince the administration he was white. I was a student there at the time it was crazy. He was a very persuasive guy.

dukeballboy88
07-13-2011, 10:50 AM
I honestly think Pac was one of the greatest artist of all time. He was vulgar but he touched on alot of subjects that not only black america but all of america had to deal with.

slower
07-13-2011, 10:53 AM
I honestly think Pac was one of the greatest artist of all time. He was vulgar but he touched on alot of subjects that not only black america but all of america had to deal with.

Sure, but Top 3 is a big stretch.

cato
07-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Again, a matter of opinion. Still, that's a fairly ludicrous assertion by almost any measure of public or critical opinion. Unless you're referring to rap/hip-hop artists ONLY.

It is no less ludicrous than hyping Dylan (or any other popular song writer) as the best lyricist ever, unless you are referring only to public opinion among nostalgic boomers. Based on your off-hand dismissal, I'd hazard a guess that you haven't listened to enough Tupac, or read up on relevant critical opinion, to have an informed opinion on this one.

Turtleboy
07-13-2011, 03:44 PM
It is no less ludicrous than hyping Dylan (or any other popular song writer) as the best lyricist ever, unless you are referring only to public opinion among nostalgic boomers. Based on your off-hand dismissal, I'd hazard a guess that you haven't listened to enough Tupac, or read up on relevant critical opinion, to have an informed opinion on this one.Inform us. Support the assertion that he is the greatest lyricist of all time.

slower
07-13-2011, 05:27 PM
It is no less ludicrous than hyping Dylan (or any other popular song writer) as the best lyricist ever, unless you are referring only to public opinion among nostalgic boomers. Based on your off-hand dismissal, I'd hazard a guess that you haven't listened to enough Tupac, or read up on relevant critical opinion, to have an informed opinion on this one.

Okay, go back and R-E-A-D my posts C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y. The word "ludicrous" was used in response to the poster calling 2pac not only the greatest lyricist ever, but also one of the Top 3 ARTISTS EVER. If you read my original response (which, I believe, was made to a DIFFERENT poster), I said that 2pac's lyrics were strong and one's opinion was probably shaped by genre/cultural differences. But calling 2pac one of the Top 3 greatest artists ever IS ludicrous, IMO.

Let ME hazard a guess. Are YOU a "critic"? Yeah, isn't everybody these days? Gonna go read up on "relevant critical opinion". Comedy gold, I tell ya. :D

cato
07-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Inform us. Support the assertion that he is the greatest lyricist of all time.

No thanks. It wasn't my assertion.

cato
07-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Okay, go back and R-E-A-D my posts C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y. The word "ludicrous" was used in response to the poster calling 2pac not only the greatest lyricist ever, but also one of the Top 3 ARTISTS EVER. If you read my original response (which, I believe, was made to a DIFFERENT poster), I said that 2pac's lyrics were strong and one's opinion was probably shaped by genre/cultural differences. But calling 2pac one of the Top 3 greatest artists ever IS ludicrous, IMO.

Let ME hazard a guess. Are YOU a "critic"? Yeah, isn't everybody these days? Gonna go read up on "relevant critical opinion". Comedy gold, I tell ya. :D

Nope. Not a critic. However, I did use my rudimentary reading skills to tweak your phrase "almost any measure of public or critical opinion" and work it into my response.

At any rate, I don't find the assertion re Tupac any more ludicrous than any other assertion about a popular artist. If you agree that it is ludicrous to put someone like Dylan in the running for top 3, fine. I'd agree.

slower
07-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Nope. Not a critic. However, I did use my rudimentary reading skills to tweak your phrase "almost any measure of public or critical opinion" and work it into my response.

At any rate, I don't find the assertion re Tupac any more ludicrous than any other assertion about a popular artist. If you agree that it is ludicrous to put someone like Dylan in the running for top 3, fine. I'd agree.

I guess we could examine those measures of public and/or critical opinion and see the results as they pertain to Dylan vs. Tupac and their ranking. Of course, most things in life are an opinion, anyway.

Do you feel that Tupac is one of the three greatest artists of all time? Dylan? Or is it just debate for its own sake?

And, yeah, I realize that the compulsion to rank/list everything under the sun is not necessarily an appealing trait. But we're humans, and that's what lots of us do.

cato
07-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Do you feel that Tupac is one of the three greatest artists of all time? Dylan? Or is it just debate for its own sake?

Tupac probably was one of the greatest artists of his generation. Beyond that, I don't know how you categorize such things. Really, though, the only thing I objected to was the implicit assumption that he could not compare to someone like Dylan, or be counted a great artist, merely because his medium was rap.

Bottom line: Tupac's murder robbed us of a singularly great American artist. Hopefully the movie Brand is involved with will be a good one.