PDA

View Full Version : Clemson loses Stanton

jimsumner
07-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Not a major player last season. But with Stitt gone, he was a candidate for a starting spot next season.

From Clemson press release.

"Sophomore guard Cory Stanton has left the Clemson basketball program, Head Coach Brad Brownell announced Monday. Stanton intends to transfer to another institution closer to his hometown of Springfield, TN.

“While I’m sorry to see Cory leave, I certainly understand his desire to be closer to home,” Brownell said. “We appreciate all his hard work and wish him nothing but the best in the future.”

Stanton appeared in 33 games as a freshman in 2010-11. He played 10.7 minutes per game and averaged 2.4 points per game. He added 25 assists and 20 steals for the season. He recorded a career-high nine points against Michigan in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge last November."

Acymetric
07-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Between Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, and now Clemson (oh, and unc) it seems like the ACC has a pretty high number of players either transferring or being suspended this offseason.

jimsumner
07-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Between Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, and now Clemson (oh, and unc) it seems like the ACC has a pretty high number of players either transferring or being suspended this offseason.

I was really, really impressed with Brownell this past season. But he loses his two best players, Stitt and Grant. Jennings, Booker, Tanner Smith all all have possibilities but their 2012 season may well hinger on whether Andre Young can be a competent ACC PG instead of the ACC's smallest shooting guard.

OldPhiKap
07-11-2011, 11:19 PM
I was really, really impressed with Brownell this past season. But he loses his two best players, Stitt and Grant. Jennings, Booker, Tanner Smith all all have possibilities but their 2012 season may well hinger on whether Andre Young can be a competent ACC PG instead of the ACC's smallest shooting guard.

You raise a good point -- there are a number of very good new coaches in the ACC, with very bare cupboards (GT, UVa, Clemson, BC, with Wake, Md and State still open questions). If the locals will give them time, the ACC could be on the road back to where it should be.

Acymetric
07-12-2011, 12:02 AM
You raise a good point -- there are a number of very good new coaches in the ACC, with very bare cupboards (GT, UVa, Clemson, BC, with Wake, Md and State still open questions). If the locals will give them time, the ACC could be on the road back to where it should be.

I feel relatively comfortable saying that GT and Wake are not on the path to success with their current coaches. I actually do like what's happening at UVA...Clemson, BC, and MD have me undecided.

On State I defer my vote because I desperately want them to succeed. if not for a huge scholarship from a d3 midwest school I would have been a student at State, and they are a close #2 behind duke for me in both football and basketball. Hope they can put it together.

jimsumner
07-12-2011, 11:37 AM

Assuming Mike Scott makes a full recovery, I expect UVA to be pretty good this season. BC is practically starting over. BC, GT and Wake could all be pretty weak this season.

gumbomoop
07-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Assuming Mike Scott makes a full recovery, I expect UVA to be pretty good this season. BC is practically starting over. BC, GT and Wake could all be pretty weak this season.

Seems much more likely that Scott will be ready to go than Reggie Johnson at Miami. Maybe UVa could even challenge FSU for #3 in ACC? I thought Miami could be very solid, but things would have to break really nicely for them to be top 3-4. So UVa could sneak into the ACC-bye guys.

Clemson, as you [Jim S.] suggest above in post #3, might struggle to get to top 1/2 in ACC. They don't seem to have much depth. Agree that BC and GT seem bottom; maybe Wake can stay above those 2. NCSt is again this year a wild card.