PDA

View Full Version : SI checks in with DeMarcus Nelson

CameronBornAndBred
07-09-2011, 11:01 AM
DeMarcus was entertaining some looks from the NBA (including the Bobcats, how cool would it be to see him with Henderson again?) when the lockout hit.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/07/08/demarcus.nelson.ap/

Aditya
07-09-2011, 12:29 PM
It's a pretty interesting time for him to come back, seeing as many teams took players in the first round this past draft for their defense.

phaedrus
07-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Hard to conceive, but he looks even more ripped in that picture than he did at Duke.

hq2
07-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Yes, but did he come back with a better jump shot?

jdk
07-09-2011, 01:41 PM
I like DeMarcus, and would like to see him succeed, but that article makes it out like he has an unrealistic view of his talent level and uses "the business side" of the NBA as an excuse when it doesn't come to fruition.

epoulsen
07-12-2011, 10:20 AM
I like DeMarcus, and would like to see him succeed, but that article makes it out like he has an unrealistic view of his talent level and uses "the business side" of the NBA as an excuse when it doesn't come to fruition.

I got that impression as well, I wish he could elaborate on what he means by the "business side". That could mean anything from submitting to drug tests to not accepting their salary offer.

mdj
07-12-2011, 11:01 AM
I got that impression as well, I wish he could elaborate on what he means by the "business side". That could mean anything from submitting to drug tests to not accepting their salary offer.

presume he means they are giving a spot he deserved to someone who's guaranteed money. don't know if its true or not but i'm sure that goes on. of course he could be so much better than the other guy that team doesn't worry about sunk costs of giving the spot to demarcus.

MCFinARL
07-12-2011, 11:42 AM

I see what you are saying, but in fairness to DeMarcus, I don't think the article as a whole presents him as being deluded or unrealistic about his ability or his NBA prospects. And right now he is in sales mode--if you were looking for a new job, would you tell people that you hadn't been able to hold your last one because you weren't talented enough?

And "business" probably did have something to do with it--every NBA personnel decision is going to be made based on a combination of talent evaluation, fit/specific team needs, and financial considerations. For a franchise-level player, talent may trump everything else, but for the rest, the decisions are probably more complicated.

epoulsen
07-12-2011, 01:13 PM
I agree regarding the "sales mode" argument. Whats the most professional way to say "The Euro-leagues paid me more"?

I see what you are saying, but in fairness to DeMarcus, I don't think the article as a whole presents him as being deluded or unrealistic about his ability or his NBA prospects. And right now he is in sales mode--if you were looking for a new job, would you tell people that you hadn't been able to hold your last one because you weren't talented enough?

And "business" probably did have something to do with it--every NBA personnel decision is going to be made based on a combination of talent evaluation, fit/specific team needs, and financial considerations. For a franchise-level player, talent may trump everything else, but for the rest, the decisions are probably more complicated.

Skitzle
07-13-2011, 08:08 AM
DeMarcus Nelson Stats 2010-2011

25 mpg
10.8 pts
50.9% 2pt
27.1% 3pt
74.4% FT
3.5 RBounds
2.5 Assists
.4 Blks
.9 Boards

This isn't the making of an NBA player.

His starting role on the Warriors was a Fluke (Don Nelson) his 13 games then getting cut was probably the right move.

You will see Jon Scheyer in the NBA before Nelson, and Scheyer may never play an NBA game.

DukeVol
07-13-2011, 08:11 AM
You will see Jon Scheyer in the NBA before Nelson, and Scheyer may never play an NBA game.

Glad to hear that you're pulling for him.....geesh....

epoulsen
07-13-2011, 10:34 AM

haha, while he does have a good point it reminds me of a classic Principal Skinner quote:

"There's being right and there's being nice!"

Skitzle
07-13-2011, 10:55 AM

I am most certainly pulling for Scheyer to be in the NBA, but after looking at his NBADL numbers and watching the NBADL finals I think it's going to be a long uphill battle for him.

ikiru36
07-13-2011, 02:02 PM
I am most certainly pulling for Scheyer to be in the NBA, but after looking at his NBADL numbers and watching the NBADL finals I think it's going to be a long uphill battle for him.

I think he was referring to not pulling for Demarcus?

Re: Nelson, you may very well be right that he doesn't play in the NBA again, but Euroleague stats often don't correlate all that well for some reason. For example, here's Ricky Rubio's Euroleague numbers from this last year:
23 mpg
6.5 ppg
3.2 rbds
3.6 asts
39.2 2pt%
22.4 3pt%
.1 blks

While this may indicate that Rubio will be a bust in the NBA, that's not most people's expectation (though many do worry about his poor shooting) and he's certainly gonna get more than a chance to play in the league.

BTW, here's Demarcus stats from his NBDL stint in 2009:
23.0ppg, 5.9rpg, 4.2apg, 1.2spg, FGP: 53.8%, 3PT: 45.0%, FT: 80.3%

Again, NBDL stats can be weird like that ('cept in the other direction) as well, but those are good enough numbers to have kept him getting call-ups to the league. I guess he (rightly or wrongly) preferred to draw a more consistent contract and playing time in Europe.

As a Warriors fan, I saw all of Demarcus' Golden State games and while his getting to play (start even) was an odd quirk of Don Nelson, his being dropped from the team so quickly was arguably a Don Nelson quirk as well. Just saying that Don Nelson (for all his genius) was wildly inconsistent with his rotations, motivational tactics, player doghouses...etc. Actually, especially as a rookie shoved into the starting spotlight at point guard, Nelson wasn't bad (at times). Unfortunately, after hot shooting the first week, his form reverted to it's old inconsistency and Don Nelson wasn't the coach to appreciate Demarcus' solid defense without an outside shot (and 36% free throw shooting). Anyways, I agree that Demarcus may not have an NBA caliber game due to his tweener height and seemingly never consistent shooting stroke, but his NBA caliber length, hands, motor, defensive instincts might earn him a spot if he could improve his shot a bit and would accept a role as defensive journeyman who can draw fouls and score occasionally.

Just saying, not sure why you're overly harshing on Demarcus, whom I always thought a very good representative of Duke (as player and young man) in his time on campus.

Go Demarcus!!!!!!! Go Jon!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!