PDA

View Full Version : Iron Dukes renewal

Kimist
07-02-2011, 01:51 PM
The current (2011-12) Iron Dukes renewal packet is in the mail.

The required donation amounts to receive basketall tickets consideration are really getting a bit pricey - I'm no Donald Trump.

Comments??

airowe
07-02-2011, 02:05 PM
I think it basically boils down to this.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_v3O0O33CoXg/ShSZJJVyU-I/AAAAAAAAAC0/aQYWb5dj_Uk/s320/supply+and+demand.gif

Lord Ash
07-02-2011, 02:12 PM

The required donation amounts to receive basketall tickets consideration are really getting a bit pricey - I'm no Donald Trump.

Comments??

Unfortunately for those of us who are not, some Duke grads are, and they are the ones who can afford basketball tickets.

OZZIE4DUKE
07-02-2011, 03:45 PM

The required donation amounts to receive basketball tickets consideration are really getting a bit pricey - I'm no Donald Trump.

Comments??
It great to be grandfathered! It also great to be a grandfather! :cool:

Kdogg
07-02-2011, 05:05 PM
I think it basically boils down to this.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_v3O0O33CoXg/ShSZJJVyU-I/AAAAAAAAAC0/aQYWb5dj_Uk/s320/supply+and+demand.gif

It's more like this:

http://www.econ.rochester.edu/eco108/ch5/510.gif

Rogue
07-02-2011, 05:37 PM

Comments??

One thing I was told a long time ago,, is a college booster organization is an organization that you can buy your way into. You could have nothing to do with the school, and move to town, and buy your way to the top if you can afford it. We see this with a lot of small schools, where donations are not nearly what they are at major universities.. So in theory, we could see Cameron filled with no Duke alumni and just people who had the most money and points.
What I think we'll see coming in the future, is what you see in things like the NFL and MLB.. corp money coming into the college scene on a much LARGER scale than we ever thought.

airowe
07-02-2011, 05:41 PM
It great to be grandfathered!

This also affects the prices of new season ticket purchasers.

ricks68
07-02-2011, 10:41 PM
This also affects the prices of new season ticket purchasers.

While some might rightfully consider that it does, I think that proven loyalty over a long period of time is much, much more important, and should be rewarded. Ozzie, and a number of others on this board, have earned that. They deserve our respect and admiration, and I believe strongly that they should continue to be rewarded for it.

ricks

Acymetric
07-02-2011, 11:42 PM
While some might rightfully consider that it does, I think that proven loyalty over a long period of time is much, much more important, and should be rewarded. Ozzie, and a number of others on this board, have earned that. They deserve our respect and admiration, and I believe strongly that they should continue to be rewarded for it.

ricks

Exactly...without the investment these people made years ago the high-demand product we have now may not even exist. Reward them for that by not jacking up their ticket prices.

airowe
07-03-2011, 12:20 AM

ricks

I completely agree. I was just stating a reason which may help answer Kimist's OP.

ricks68
07-03-2011, 01:27 AM
I completely agree. I was just stating a reason which may help answer Kimist's OP.

I actually figured that, but it gave me an excuse to shower some well deserved accolades on a lot of members on this board, so I did it.:)

ricks

budwom
07-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Another way of looking at it is that Ozzie bought stock in Duke hoops when it was
really at a low point (i.e. they had trouble selling tickets). Looks like he made a wise
investment.

epoulsen
07-03-2011, 02:02 PM
I've been a fan since the early early 90s, back then (feels weird to say that) to get to a Duke game you had to know someone who knew someone who knew someone who knew a Donald Trump ticket holder to get in. This happened once a year at most. I joined the Iron Dukes (didn't qualify for season tix by a long shot) last year and got offered more tickets via e-mail than games I've been to in the last five years. I can live with this, even though I'm out of "sick days" at my night job by the end of March :). While the price to be a season ticket holder is rather large, the other option would be to build a bigger stadium and honestly, I'll take my chances with the current system. Any jerk can go to any UNC basketball game any time they want with minimal hassle and the Dean Domes atmosphere is evidence of that. Their fans treat it like it's no big deal regardless of who they're playing. Just sent my renewal back and made my son a card carrying Iron Duke Jr!

OZZIE4DUKE
07-03-2011, 08:45 PM

ricks

Exactly...without the investment these people made years ago the high-demand product we have now may not even exist. Reward them for that by not jacking up their ticket prices.

Another way of looking at it is that Ozzie bought stock in Duke hoops when it was
really at a low point (i.e. they had trouble selling tickets). Looks like he made a wise
investment.
Thanks guys, for your support! And for the record, the cost of our game tickets is the same as everyone else's, it's the size of our Iron Duke donation that may not be as large.

Budwom, I really like your analogy!:cool: