PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie's Blues

AtlBluRew
07-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Wow. I watched a few minutes of one of MissHawaii's rants. Are our young people's face-to-face social skills so stunted by social media that even a kid like Kyrie Irving needs to resort to Twitter to meet girls? As intelligent as he is on other things, he still hasn't learned his lesson that the Twitter world is full of screwed-up people who will do harm to him and/or his reputation. Wise up, Kyrie. Stop exposing yourself to bad elements.

wilko
07-01-2011, 09:28 AM
All I can think of when I see this headline is the song 'Mexicali Blues" by the Dead.

PADukeMom
07-01-2011, 10:11 AM
My comment is I wish only the best for Kyrie. That said, after watching ESPN last night & listening to Jason(never Jay) Williams, Kyrie with age & experience comes the wisdom to make wiser decisions. Why do so many younger people think every piece of their life on public forums like facebook & twitter. Once out those words & imgaes can nver be taken back. Maybe I am just too dang old to understand it all. *Edited to add: I didn't read the tweets.

With that said, I hope the lock-out doesn't last very long & GO PORTLAND!

DevilWearsPrada
07-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Wow. I watched a few minutes of one of MissHawaii's rants. Are our young people's face-to-face social skills so stunted by social media that even a kid like Kyrie Irving needs to resort to Twitter to meet girls? As intelligent as he is on other things, he still hasn't learned his lesson that the Twitter world is full of screwed-up people who will do harm to him and/or his reputation. Wise up, Kyrie. Stop exposing yourself to bad elements.

Kyrie closed the old Twitter account, but opened up a new one, since he was drafted. I watched some of the rants on Youtube, but it has been awhile. The female was listed as 24 years old; but looked much older to me.

The article states that Kyrie met Miss Hawaii (twitter name), at the Ritz Charlton in Charlotte, NC. If I not mistaken, the Duke team stayed at that hotel in March while playing the 1st/2nd round in NCAA tournament play (March 18 and 20). Then, Miss Hawaii started threatening Kyrie on March 22 - May.

Kyrie is a still a teenager and a young man and has alot to learn of people like Miss Hawaii. The social media can be harmful to one's reputation. I hope the NBA lockout will be resolved soon.

Thanks for posting the link about Kyrie. We have all seen what Twitter did for Congressman Weiner's career! Best to Kyrie in his NBA career.

MCFinARL
07-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Kyrie closed the old Twitter account, but opened up a new one, since he was drafted. I watched some of the rants on Youtube, but it has been awhile. The female was listed as 24 years old; but looked much older to me.

The article states that Kyrie met Miss Hawaii (twitter name), at the Ritz Charlton in Charlotte, NC. If I not mistaken, the Duke team stayed at that hotel in March while playing the 1st/2nd round in NCAA tournament play (March 18 and 20). Then, Miss Hawaii started threatening Kyrie on March 22 - May.

Kyrie is a still a teenager and a young man and has alot to learn of people like Miss Hawaii. The social media can be harmful to one's reputation. I hope the NBA lockout will be resolved soon.

Thanks for posting the link about Kyrie. We have all seen what Twitter did for Congressman Weiner's career! Best to Kyrie in his NBA career.

If I'm not mistaken, based on things I have read only and not on first hand knowledge, the two had been talking online for some time before the Charlotte encounter. Kyrie may not have realized the young woman was taking it as seriously as she apparently was, and her disappointment when she came to Charlotte at tournament time and Kyrie was not as receptive as she had hoped may have fueled her wrath.

Obviously, an object lesson not just in the fact that online communications are hard (if not impossible) to erase, but also in the fact that, when you "meet" people online, you need to be very careful what you say, because you don't really know who you are dealing with. This is a very hard way for Kyrie to learn this lesson, but I'm betting it's one he won't soon forget.

The other bad news may have a silver lining, though--perhaps if the lockout extends for a while, Kyrie can enroll at Duke for another semester and make some progress on his promise to his dad to complete his degree.

DevilWearsPrada
07-01-2011, 12:51 PM
The other bad news may have a silver lining, though--perhaps if the lockout extends for a while, Kyrie can enroll at Duke for another semester and make some progress on his promise to his dad to complete his degree.

Can Kyrie enroll in Summer Session or Fall Semester and work out on Duke Campus? Question? Does Duke pick up the tab for the courses or is Kyrie's family responsible since he opted out of Duke for the NBA?

Hopefully, the NBA lockout will not go on as long as the NFL lockout.

I also read online where Kyrie and Miss Hawaii had been communicating via Twitter, or other social media means before the in person meetup. And I am sure I read it on DBR!

Bluedog
07-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Can Kyrie enroll in Summer Session or Fall Semester and work out on Duke Campus? Question? Does Duke pick up the tab for the courses or is Kyrie's family responsible since he opted out of Duke for the NBA?

During the hour long press conference, Coach K stated that if the NBA lockout is ongoing, Kyrie was probably going to take classes at Duke for the fall semester and work out in Durham. I'd imagine Kyrie's family has to pick up the tab, but I'm not sure...I believe Enes Kanter was still on scholarship even though the NCAA declared him ineligible. Mallory Cecil (female NCAA tennis champ as a freshman) went pro after her freshman year and has since come back to Duke and is now a special assistant to the team while she's also taking courses as a student...So, I'd imagine if the lockout lasts a while, Kyrie would be involved in Duke basketball in some regard. Hopefully, it gets resolved though.

JGB
07-01-2011, 02:27 PM
All I can think of when I see this headline is the song 'Mexicali Blues" by the Dead.

"Is there anything a man don't stand to lose,
When the devil wants to take it all away?
Cherish well your thoughts, and keep a tight grip on your booze
Cause thinkin and drinkin are all I have today." - John Perry Barlow

OldPhiKap
07-01-2011, 04:58 PM

Odd, I keep thinking of "Dupree's Diamond Blues"

NM Duke Fan
07-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Frankly, this makes me pretty angry, and it takes a lot to do that. Kyrie is one of my all time favorite Duke players, even though he was just here for one injury-shortened season. He is a great kid, with many outstanding qualities.

Is it legal to threaten to stab someone? Perhaps one of the lawyers on this board can give an opinion regarding the legal implications of a woman threatening to stab someone, with plenty of extant evidence. I am surprised that some kind of police action hasn't already been taken!? But I am not a lawyer and haven't studied the laws about such things in depth.

Hang in there Kyrie!

JasonEvans
07-02-2011, 09:44 AM
During the hour long press conference, Coach K stated that if the NBA lockout is ongoing, Kyrie was probably going to take classes at Duke for the fall semester and work out in Durham. I'd imagine Kyrie's family has to pick up the tab, but I'm not sure...I believe Enes Kanter was still on scholarship even though the NCAA declared him ineligible.

When Kyrie opted for the NBA Draft, he forfeited his amateur eligibility and that makes him ineligible for an athletic scholarship at Duke. He would have to either pay his own way to take classes at Duke or he would have to qualify for some non-athletic type of scholarship.

I would imagine he would just pay his own way. Even though he will not earn an NBA salary until the lockout is over, he should be able to make quite good money in the short term off of endorsements and the such. Plus, I am certain his agent would float him until Kyrie starts earning an NBA salary.

-Jason "it is great to hear he is still so interested in the pursuit of his education" Evans

licc85
07-02-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm sure kyrie can get a loan to pay for school, he is the #1 overall pick after all.

Back to mshawaii though, I watched about 9 minutes of her most recent Kyrie rant, it's just unbelievable how insecure she is. Anybody who proudly displays their cleavage and thighs on youtube to make a point has serious problems . . . It's a remarkable display of how disillusioned some people can get over something as trivial as this.

I'll admit, I enjoyed it for the most part, nearly fell out of my seat laughing. Reality programming at its finest.

Newton_14
07-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Herm Edwards spoke at the NFL Rookie Symposium last week, and offerred the rooks advice on this very thing. It is hilarious as only Herm Edwards can be. Kyrie would do well to click and listen himself.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/9803083/

Greg_Newton
07-02-2011, 10:01 PM
If I not mistaken, the Duke team stayed at that hotel in March while playing the 1st/2nd round in NCAA tournament play (March 18 and 20). Then, Miss Hawaii started threatening Kyrie on March 22 - May.

So basically.. it's HER FAULT WE LOST IN THE S16???:mad::mad::mad::mad:

DevilWearsPrada
07-03-2011, 12:24 PM
So basically.. it's HER FAULT WE LOST IN THE S16???:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Well, that's a thought. Lol. Derrick Williams was certainly more of a factor in the S16, than some ranting girl on Twitter or youtube.

I watched some of the Ms Hawaii rant, from the link from DBR. I had to fast forward through it, due to the language and content of her rant and rave. I also viewed a couple of minutes of the video the day after the NBA Draft; which she attended. What does Ms Hawaii hope to accomplish with these videos? She was sitting on the lower level during the draft, and stated there were alot of security personnel in attendance. Ms Hawaii needs Anger Management and an Etiquette class on how to be a Lady.

Wonder what DR. PHIL, would say to Ms Hawaii? "How's that working for you?"

Starter
07-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Herm Edwards spoke at the NFL Rookie Symposium last week, and offerred the rooks advice on this very thing. It is hilarious as only Herm Edwards can be. Kyrie would do well to click and listen himself.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/9803083/

His rant on "midnight" is absolutely priceless. I love Herm -- even when he coached the Jets (I'm a Dolphins fan). This clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imFAR8ypw2c) is far less relevant than the clip that Newton 14 posted, but I've always liked it. The best is Herm busting in with his kid dressed as a pumpkin at the end.

Not for nothing? I would imagine (hope?) Kyrie learned some valuable lessons from this episode. There are far more Miss Hawaiis than there are Kyrie Irvings.

Farn
07-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Is it legal to threaten to stab someone?

I guess we're going to find out now.

Irving files police report against "Miss Hawaii" (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/07/kyrie-irving-files-police-report-against-miss-hawaii/)

Starter
07-05-2011, 01:36 PM
This (http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2011/07/jessica-miss-hawaii-jackson-exposed-arrests-stalking-naked-pics-hooker/) isn't entirely SFW, just be careful about clicking around in there, but... wow. Like I said, I think Kyrie has learned a serious lesson about who he takes up with.

AZLA
07-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Cyber-stalker. Unfortunately, for some, it's one of the first signs they've arrived atop celebrity status. With Twitter / Facebook, it's so incredibly easy to gain perceived access to a high-profile person and manipulate their status to gain national attention. Who knows, maybe she's trying to create a future rehab reality TV show? I know athletes all get the memo that they have to market themselves via Twitter and other social media methods in order to make the big bucks, but eventually, I hope more and more athletes realize that it's a stunted form of 140 character communication that has the potential to create more risk by association than it does creating any purposeful social relationship.

Starter
07-05-2011, 02:42 PM
I would at least hope that this is the end of Kyrie's tormentor. @RealMissHawaii has made her tweets private, as her entire public persona has been revealed as a near total fraud.

Greg_Newton
07-05-2011, 06:06 PM
I would at least hope that this is the end of Kyrie's tormentor. @RealMissHawaii has made her tweets private, as her entire public persona has been revealed as a near total fraud.

Wow, that was quite a K.O. Not that I necessarily blame Kyrie for getting himself into that mess in the first place, but I might grant that guy a couple exclusive interviews in the future if I were him...

BTW, how in the world does Tom Brady comprise 50% of the athletes on the "Black Sports Online"' website header? :D

Bluedog
07-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Well, on a positive note, it looks like Kyrie is taking classes this summer:

Feels weird gearing back up for classes this summer...but got to stick to the 5-year plan...yessir!!
http://twitter.com/Ky1Irving

Nice dedication! Anybody know if they'll be at Duke? I'd assume so...

Edit: Some clues with his correspondences with JJ:

Yep. Probably all of september too. You there now?? RT @Ky1Irving: @JJRedick47 you coming down here in august?

@JJRedick47 yup I'm here taking classes...we should have some good games here if everyone comes back in aug and sept

@Ky1Irving good for you man. Looking forward to catching up when I'm in town. We will have some decent runs when guys are in town ha

Edit again: Although twitter has me confused...I can't follow:

Yep that's the plan for now RT @bmcdonald04: @JJRedick47 Hey JJ, what are you doing to train over the summer? Are you staying in Orlando?

So, JJ's staying in Orlando?...I had thought "coming down" meant to Durham even though that's up...haha.

Newton_14
07-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Well, on a positive note, it looks like Kyrie is taking classes this summer:

http://twitter.com/Ky1Irving

Nice dedication! Anybody know if they'll be at Duke? I'd assume so...

Edit: Some clues with his correspondences with JJ:

Edit again: Although twitter has me confused...I can't follow:

So, JJ's staying in Orlando?...I had thought "coming down" meant to Durham even though that's up...haha.

Pretty sure JJ is coming to Durham to train during the lockout. I read an article a couple of weeks back where he stated that was the plan. Not sure on timing, but he did say he was coming home. I imagine it will be a little bit lonely during Aug with the guys and staff in China, but September should have some killer pickup games.