PDA

View Full Version : The Lind photos

Lord Ash
06-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Hah!

Loved that one on the front page today vs South Carolina (?) The band outfits are fantastic, as are the warmups... am I correct in saying they have belts on? Amazing how much things change. I hate to admit... I know that must be a home game, and I know that must be Cameron... but man, I cannot make it out at all:)

Great stuff, looking forward to more! Thanks to Mr. Lind for the photos!

rthomas
06-30-2011, 09:54 AM
I Agree. It's the 60's but what year? And who won?

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Hah!

Loved that one on the front page today vs South Carolina (?) The band outfits are fantastic, as are the warmups... am I correct in saying they have belts on? Amazing how much things change. I hate to admit... I know that must be a home game, and I know that must be Cameron... but man, I cannot make it out at all:)

Great stuff, looking forward to more! Thanks to Mr. Lind for the photos!
The men in the photo aren't basketball players in warm up suits. They're our men cheerleaders. The cheerleader walking toward the camera looks like Bill Goodwin, Class of '68, former NML executive now retired.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-30-2011, 10:30 AM
The cheerleader with his back to the camera is George Crowell, Class of '67, a Phi Delt fraternity brother of Bill Goodwin's.

I'll ID the rest of them a bit later today. Got a lunch appointment to prepare for! :cool:

grossbus
06-30-2011, 10:50 AM
pep band started wearing those outfits in the 62-63 season.

sagegrouse
06-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Everybody notice the extraneous lines all over the court? For IM and pickups games, the Indoor Stadium had two basketball courts running crosswise. Also, volleyball court lines were marked on the sacred boards. Such an innocent era!

sagegrouse

Reddevil
06-30-2011, 11:31 AM
This is a reminder of much closer we were to our agrarian roots. Can you imagine the outcry of a "real" rooster on a pickfork today?! Heavens to Betsy!

DevilWearsPrada
06-30-2011, 11:49 AM
pep band started wearing those outfits in the 62-63 season.

How long did the Pep Band were the Striped jackets, bow ties and hats?

The Girl cheerleaders dresses were fairly long. I really like the Vest the Male cheerleaders are wearing.

Notice the ATTIRE of the students/fans sitting on the bleachers: Dress shirts and nice slacks. And the Upper level of Cameron, the men are wearing their suits, sport jackets, shirts and ties.

I did not see any Girls in the Pep Band. Very few girls sitting in the bleacher section, also. How many Females attended Games in that era? Students? And then in the Upper level of Cameron?

What a great photo! A wonderful update to the DBR site. And for a look back into the yesteryear. Thanks for the great addition!

uh_no
06-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Everybody notice the extraneous lines all over the court? For IM and pickups games, the Indoor Stadium had two basketball courts running crosswise. Also, volleyball court lines were marked on the sacred boards. Such an innocent era!

sagegrouse

The marks for the volleyball court are still there. You can notice several small white squares on the court. I haven't been to one, but I would assume they put tape down or something for the volleyball games. I think the practice courts became unnecessary when they put the courts in at wilson, but as far as I know, they still play the championship games in cameron.

hughgs
06-30-2011, 12:26 PM
The marks for the volleyball court are still there. You can notice several small white squares on the court. I haven't been to one, but I would assume they put tape down or something for the volleyball games. I think the practice courts became unnecessary when they put the courts in at wilson, but as far as I know, they still play the championship games in cameron.

The volleyball matches use tape to mark the lines, which are removed at the end of the evening. There should be 8 - 10 squares on the floor.

I know that the women's IM championship has been played in Cameron the last couple of years. I don't have first hand knowledge of the men's IM championship but I would be surprised if it wasn't in Cameron.

Olympic Fan
06-30-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm just guessing here, but based on the fact that the shot appears to come from the stands -- from right behind the team bench, maybe a row or two up.

That would make it Fred Lind's freshman year -- that's where the freshmen players usually sat for varsity games. If it was any later than that, he would have been a player (and I doubt he brought a camera with him while in uniform).

If I'm right, that makes the shot from the Duke-South Carolina game of Feb. 14, 1966.

That was a significant game. South Carolina was coached by Frank McGuire and he boasted a young, but talented lineup of sophomores Skip Harlicka, Jack Thompson and Frank Standard, plus junior Gary Gregor. Duke was a power with junior Bob Verga, senior Jack Marin, senior Steve Vacendak, junior Bob Reidy and sophomore Mike Lewis in the starting lineup.

Very early in the season, South Carolina upset No. 3 Duke in Columbia, 73-71. A week later, Duke beat defending champion UCLA in back-to-back games (one in Duke Indoor Stadium, the other in Charlotte) and claimed No. 1.

Duke was 17-2 and No. 2 in the nation when unranked South Carolina came to Durham. The Gamecocks tried to hold the ball, but Duke pulled out a 41-38 victory.

That Duke team would finish 26-4 and win the third-place game at the Final Four. Of course, we all know they would have won it all if Verga had not come down with strep throat just before the Final Four.

Just to add, the Duke-South Carolina rivalry was getting very bitter at that point. McGuire recruited a kid named Mike Grosso, who failed to meet the ACC's academic standards. Supposedly, since he couldn't qualify for a scholarship, Grosso's way was paid by family members. Somebody gave the NCAA evidence that South Carolina was funneling money to Grosso through an uncle, who owned a sports bar. South Carolina always blamed Duke and AD Eddie Cameron. It got so ugly that the next season 1966-67, Duke and South Carolina cancelled their two regular season games.

The funny thing is, I was going through Eddie Cameron's papers at the Duke Library a couple of years ago and found a letter from the president of Clemson -- who admitted that it was his school that ratted out South Carolina! Of course, it's hard to see what the Gamecocks were complaining about -- the NCAA came in and looked at the situation and slapped South Carolina with a two-year probation.

hudlow
06-30-2011, 12:57 PM
THANKS FRED!!!

hud

CameronBlue
06-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Gotta love the guy in the light blue short sleeve shirt about 3 rows off the court sporting the Anson Williams look, sweater over his back, sleeves tied in front.
Totally Sears catalogue. C'mon was that look EVER cool?

B-well
06-30-2011, 02:55 PM
How long did the Pep Band were the Striped jackets, bow ties and hats?

The Girl cheerleaders dresses were fairly long. I really like the Vest the Male cheerleaders are wearing.

Notice the ATTIRE of the students/fans sitting on the bleachers: Dress shirts and nice slacks. And the Upper level of Cameron, the men are wearing their suits, sport jackets, shirts and ties.

I did not see any Girls in the Pep Band. Very few girls sitting in the bleacher section, also. How many Females attended Games in that era? Students? And then in the Upper level of Cameron?

What a great photo! A wonderful update to the DBR site. And for a look back into the yesteryear. Thanks for the great addition!

Most girls who came to Duke Indoor Stadium in those days sat upstairs in the North End Zone that was fenced off as a Student Section. A few might take the risk of getting a splinter from the original bleacher seats.

Back in 1953 or 1954, Chuck Seager (now deceased) was the DUMB Drum Major and the Commander of the NROTC Drum and Bugle Corps. My recollection is that Chuck formed the Pep Band from the Navy guys and the Pep Band played in uniform. I don't know if their was a Pep Band before that. Rob Brannock took over from Chuck as leader of the Pep Band in 55/56, but they were still in Navy uniforms.

Knowing how hot Cameron can be - I can't imagine the Cheerleaders in those Happy Days outfits. By the way, a sweater thrown over the back with the sleeves tied in front was very "in" in those days. Duke women wore heels and hose to football and basketball games. Even so, the Duke fans were pretty rowdy.

sagegrouse
06-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Most girls who came to Duke Indoor Stadium in those days sat upstairs in the North End Zone that was fenced off as a Student Section. A few might take the risk of getting a splinter from the original bleacher seats.

Back in 1953 or 1954, Chuck Seager (now deceased) was the DUMB Drum Major and the Commander of the NROTC Drum and Bugle Corps. My recollection is that Chuck formed the Pep Band from the Navy guys and the Pep Band played in uniform. I don't know if their was a Pep Band before that. Rob Brannock took over from Chuck as leader of the Pep Band in 55/56, but they were still in Navy uniforms.

Knowing how hot Cameron can be - I can't imagine the Cheerleaders in those Happy Days outfits. By the way, a sweater thrown over the back with the sleeves tied in front was very "in" in those days. Duke women wore heels and hose to football and basketball games. Even so, the Duke fans were pretty rowdy.

I thought the Pep Band started in 1963-1964, but I defer to Gross Bus, who will positively know the answer.

sagegrouse

1Devil
06-30-2011, 03:31 PM
The Devil looks like some kind of muslim cleric. Is that a full beard? Was he issuing fatwas?

Olympic Fan
06-30-2011, 04:52 PM
I thought the Pep Band started in 1963-1964, but I defer to Gross Bus, who will positively know the answer.

sagegrouse

My understanding is that Vic Bubas got the pep band going.

Checking the Duke Basketbal Encyclopedia ... yep, Bubas took the idea to band director Jim Henry in 1962. The original pep band uniform was the straw hat and the striped jacket. The first season for the pep band (1962-63) also happened to be Duke's first Finl Four season.

OZ
06-30-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm just guessing here, but based on the fact that the shot appears to come from the stands -- from right behind the team bench, maybe a row or two up.

That would make it Fred Lind's freshman year -- that's where the freshmen players usually sat for varsity games. If it was any later than that, he would have been a player (and I doubt he brought a camera with him while in uniform).

If I'm right, that makes the shot from the Duke-South Carolina game of Feb. 14, 1966.

That was a significant game. South Carolina was coached by Frank McGuire and he boasted a young, but talented lineup of sophomores Skip Harlicka, Jack Thompson and Frank Standard, plus junior Gary Gregor. Duke was a power with junior Bob Verga, senior Jack Marin, senior Steve Vacendak, junior Bob Reidy and sophomore Mike Lewis in the starting lineup.

Very early in the season, South Carolina upset No. 3 Duke in Columbia, 73-71. A week later, Duke beat defending champion UCLA in back-to-back games (one in Duke Indoor Stadium, the other in Charlotte) and claimed No. 1.

Duke was 17-2 and No. 2 in the nation when unranked South Carolina came to Durham. The Gamecocks tried to hold the ball, but Duke pulled out a 41-38 victory.

That Duke team would finish 26-4 and win the third-place game at the Final Four. Of course, we all know they would have won it all if Verga had not come down with strep throat just before the Final Four.

Just to add, the Duke-South Carolina rivalry was getting very bitter at that point. McGuire recruited a kid named Mike Grosso, who failed to meet the ACC's academic standards. Supposedly, since he couldn't qualify for a scholarship, Grosso's way was paid by family members. Somebody gave the NCAA evidence that South Carolina was funneling money to Grosso through an uncle, who owned a sports bar. South Carolina always blamed Duke and AD Eddie Cameron. It got so ugly that the next season 1966-67, Duke and South Carolina cancelled their two regular season games.

The funny thing is, I was going through Eddie Cameron's papers at the Duke Library a couple of years ago and found a letter from the president of Clemson -- who admitted that it was his school that ratted out South Carolina! Of course, it's hard to see what the Gamecocks were complaining about -- the NCAA came in and looked at the situation and slapped South Carolina with a two-year probation.

If my memory is correct, I believe that the return game to Duke was on or near Valentine's day. With McGuire and most of his team viewed locally as "mobsters", a number of the students dressed as mobsters, complete with toy Tommy Guns. A lot of the guys sat in the end-zone and fired their "weapons" when S.C. shot free throws.
I recall McGuire not being too pleased with the characterization.

The fallout over Grosso soon led to South Carolina leaving the ACC. A decision South Carolina would long regret.

The two changes that I never grieved were the end of male cheerleaders and the demise of the long dresses.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-30-2011, 06:24 PM
I think I can now correctly identify the cheerleaders in this photo except, perhaps, the first one on the left.

Left to right: Kathy Humphrey, '68; Jeri Reuter Hunt, '66; George Crowell, '67; Joe Harris, '67; John Mason, '68 and Bill Goodwin, '68.

GO DUKE!

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-30-2011, 06:34 PM

By the time I was a freshman, more of the women students were sitting downstairs. I started out sitting behind the freshman team and over the years moved about in different sections downstairs. Where I sat depended on who was going with me to the game. If I chose the seats (meaning a bunch of us girls going together), I had a favorite area under one of the baskets. This location allowed me to see Cazzie Russell and Oliver Darden up close when Michigan came to town. A date would take us to his fraternity's favorite location.

The interesting thing about the temperature in Cameron is that I don't remember that the student sections got so very hot back in the sixties..... while I recognize that the passing of time can dim memories and change how one's body reacts to the environment, I would have remembered getting sweaty in then Indoor Stadium! All the heat was on the court!

OZZIE4DUKE
06-30-2011, 06:54 PM
By the time I was a freshman, more of the women students were sitting downstairs. I started out sitting behind the freshman team and over the years moved about in different sections downstairs. Where I sat depended on who was going with me to the game. If I chose the seats (meaning a bunch of us girls going together), I had a favorite area under one of the baskets. This location allowed me to see Cazzie Russell and Oliver Darden up close when Michigan came to town. A date would take us to his fraternity's favorite location.

The interesting thing about the temperature in Cameron is that I don't remember that the student sections got so very hot back in the sixties..... while I recognize that the passing of time can dim memories and change how one's body reacts to the environment, I would have remembered getting sweaty in then Indoor Stadium! All the heat was on the court!
DitBD, you were the one causing all the guys to sweat! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/3.gif :cool:

grossbus
06-30-2011, 07:00 PM
"I did not see any Girls in the Pep Band"

in those days there were no women in the DUMB or the Pep Band.

i was in the Pep Band my freshman year (61-62). we wore white dress shirts.

the striped jackets and boaters came the next year (there is a picture of me in this getup in the 63 Chant).

these were not original. IIRC we encountered them somewhere on the road and copied the idea.

this brings back a couple of memories.

i was in the band at the FF in louisville. the next year i was on the floor in kansas city shooting for the chant. had gotten bumped from the team plane and hitched a ride with 4 other students. all day drive got me there just in time to claim my floor pass for the michigan game. after that stunning loss to UCLA (no starter over 6'5", reserve comes off the bench to go nut on us) i saw jeri reuter consoling the youngest of bubas' redheaded daughters who was in tears out on the floor. it was a great shot. i didn't take it. didn't have the heart.

later that night, brent kitching and i having burgers in some KC diner rehashing the game. i cannot recall how we hooked up.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-30-2011, 07:05 PM
DitBD, you were the one causing all the guys to sweat! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/3.gif :cool:
Your fraternity was one I missed in my campus tour.......;)

Newton_14
06-30-2011, 08:58 PM

I find that very believable Oz!:cool:

I bet DitBD had little trouble getting dates for the games back then!:D

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-30-2011, 09:29 PM
I find that very believable Oz!:cool:

I bet DitBD had little trouble getting dates for the games back then!:D
I was very fortunate! I was in the middle of the room during many important events. :cool:

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-30-2011, 09:48 PM
"I did not see any Girls in the Pep Band"

in those days there were no women in the DUMB or the Pep Band.

i was in the Pep Band my freshman year (61-62). we wore white dress shirts.

the striped jackets and boaters came the next year (there is a picture of me in this getup in the 63 Chant).

these were not original. IIRC we encountered them somewhere on the road and copied the idea.

this brings back a couple of memories.

i was in the band at the FF in louisville. the next year i was on the floor in kansas city shooting for the chant. had gotten bumped from the team plane and hitched a ride with 4 other students. all day drive got me there just in time to claim my floor pass for the michigan game. after that stunning loss to UCLA (no starter over 6'5", reserve comes off the bench to go nut on us) i saw jeri reuter consoling the youngest of bubas' redheaded daughters who was in tears out on the floor. it was a great shot. i didn't take it. didn't have the heart.

later that night, brent kitching and i having burgers in some KC diner rehashing the game. i cannot recall how we hooked up.

I would also add that until the demise of the Woman's College (undergraduate college at Duke) there were about 3-4 men for every woman. Men greatly outnumbered women for most campus events unless the events were concerts or the like.

sagegrouse
06-30-2011, 10:44 PM
I would also add that until the demise of the Woman's College (undergraduate college at Duke) there were about 3-4 men for every woman. Men greatly outnumbered women for most campus events unless the events were concerts or the like.

It just seemed that way to you, given all the men surrounding you. :p During the early to mid '60s, there were 2,400+ male undergraduates, 1,200+ coeds at the Women's College, and about 300 women in the Nursing School, totalling about 4,000 undergraduates.

IIRC the other factor seeming to tilt the male-female scale was that UNC Chapel Hill had no undergraduate women in the first two years (except for nurses). It admitted transfers in the junior and senior years, especially to take majors not offered at UNC Women's College (UNC-G today).

The expansion of the undergraduate student body at Duke -- and also at Yale, Harvard, Princeton, and other places -- occurred with the admission of women or (as at Duke and Harvard) the admission of about as many women as men. The same thing may have happened at UPenn, but many people credit the expansion of the undergrad student body there to over 8,000 to the construction of those gawd-awful high-rises in the middle of the Penn campus.

Another factor increasing enrollment at Duke applied mostly to the dumb-*** men: the increase in the graduation percentage from below 70% to well above 90%. (Gee, we're getting smart freshmen; why do we insist on flunking out one-third of them?)

sagegrouse

ricks68
06-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Just for the record, I think the reason that many women were not at the games was because a lot of them were studying. The result of which was borne out when grades came out. They just constantly killed us in the classroom! :o

ricks

verga
06-30-2011, 11:40 PM
as i remember it the Duke Pep Band ran onto the floor in their stripped coats and hats being tipped and waved and the first song they played was Dixie therefore causing some to call them the Dukes of Dixie. I'm not sure when that was done away with but back then it was a different era. I remember when UCLA came to town (minus Lew Alcindor) there were reports that some students were taking pennies and heating them with their cigarette lighters and throwing them on the players. UCLA was defeated soundly here and the in Charlotte the next night, i remember this game well, i had been given 2 tickets to the game by a friend who was unable to go, as we got to the door to enter the stadium my friend who i had brought along with me, couldn't find his ticket. We walked all the way back to where the soccer field is now and lying directly below the passenger door on a wet ground was my friends ticket.

ricks68
06-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Instead of asking what was the song played by the pep band that really got us all going during games, I'll just come out and say it. On a thread a long time ago, I asked the question and it took a while for the answer (I think it was because DitBD was offline for a while.) It was "Let's Go" Outstanding song.

Also, it was great seeing some of my classmates in the first picture. I am hoping that more pictures will produce a picture with me in it that I will be able to recognize. I actually do remember sitting on the opposite end of the court in the area behind the present Duke bench for that particular SC game.

ricks

ricks68
06-30-2011, 11:53 PM
as i remember it the Duke Pep Band ran onto the floor in their stripped coats and hats being tipped and waved and the first song they played was Dixie therefore causing some to call them the Dukes of Dixie. I'm not sure when that was done away with but back then it was a different era. I remember when UCLA came to town (minus Lew Alcindor) there were reports that some students were taking pennies and heating them with their cigarette lighters and throwing them on the players. UCLA was defeated soundly here and the in Charlotte the next night, i remember this game well, i had been given 2 tickets to the game by a friend who was unable to go, as we got to the door to enter the stadium my friend who i had brought along with me, couldn't find his ticket. We walked all the way back to where the soccer field is now and lying directly below the passenger door on a wet ground was my friends ticket.

The title on the cover of SI that came out just after those games was "Lost Weekend in Carolina". We beat them by 16 and 19, and I think that they had won the championship the year before. I can certainly also confirm that the line went back across the road for that one---and the Michigan game later. I got crushed in the corner trying to get in for the Michigan game. (Which we won in OT 100 to 93.) The UCLA game was almost as bad getting into.

(But then, as only us Crusties really know, we had a pretty good coach back then, too. ;))

ricks

Olympic Fan
07-01-2011, 12:14 AM
The title on the cover of SI that came out just after those games was "Lost Weekend in Carolina". We beat them by 16 and 19, and I think that they had won the championship the year before. I can certainly also confirm that the line went back across the road for that one---and the Michigan game later. I got crushed in the corner trying to get in for the Michigan game. (Which we won in OT 100 to 93.) The UCLA game was almost as bad getting into.

(But then, as only us Crusties really know, we had a pretty good coach back then, too. ;))

ricks

Just to clarify ... UCLA had won the title in 1964 (beating Duke in the title game) and 1965. Those were small, quick pressing teams with Walt Hazzard (1964), Gail Goodrich (1964-65) and Keith Erichson (1964-65). In the '64 title game, a sophomore sub from Beaufort, SC, named Kenny Washington came off the bench and ripped Duke.

Washington was starting in '66 (actually December of 1965) when UCLA came to Durham. As mentioned earlier, the Bruins were No. 1, while Duke had slipped from No. 3 to No. 6 after losing to South Carolina in Columbia.

The thing about that UCLA team is that they were feared for their fullcourt zone press. That was what destroyed Duke in the '64 title game. Bubas prepared for the game by having his first team work against seven defenders in practice. When they brought the ball up successully for the first time against the Bruins, the place went nuts.

The Duke win was shockingly easy -- Duke won 82-66. The next night in the Charlotte Coliseum, Duke again won easily 94-77. The next week Duke jumped to No. 1 in the nation. That was the first time Duke ever reached No. 1 in the AP poll (the '63 team spent most of the season at No. 2, but never got to No. 1).

Ricks, you are right about that Sports Illustrated article. Written by Frank Deford, it praised Duke, but also spent a lot of time talking aboutb a racial incident in the first game -- Kenny Washington's parents were subjected to racial taunts as they sat in the stands behinf the UCLA bench.

But you are confused about the Michigan game. Michigan didn't play in Durham that year. The 100-93 OT win -- which featured one of the great comebacks in Duke history to force overtime as No. 1 Duke beat No. 3 Michigan -- was played in Cobo Hall in Detroit. You are probably confusing it with Michigan's visit in December of 1964, when No. 1 Michigan beat No. 5 Duke in Durham. Or maybe December of 1966, when No. 4 Duke beat unranked Michigan in Durham.

Reilly
07-01-2011, 12:14 AM
My understanding is that Vic Bubas got the pep band going.

Checking the Duke Basketbal Encyclopedia ... yep, Bubas took the idea to band director Jim Henry in 1962. The original pep band uniform was the straw hat and the striped jacket. The first season for the pep band (1962-63) also happened to be Duke's first Finl Four season.

Well then, clearly, in 2012-2013, there should be a 50th anniversary commemorative celebration ... striped jackets all around ... would be cool ....

Reilly
07-01-2011, 12:22 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1078028/index.htm

ricks68
07-01-2011, 01:27 AM
Just to clarify ... UCLA had won the title in 1964 (beating Duke in the title game) and 1965. Those were small, quick pressing teams with Walt Hazzard (1964), Gail Goodrich (1964-65) and Keith Erichson (1964-65). In the '64 title game, a sophomore sub from Beaufort, SC, named Kenny Washington came off the bench and ripped Duke.

Washington was starting in '66 (actually December of 1965) when UCLA came to Durham. As mentioned earlier, the Bruins were No. 1, while Duke had slipped from No. 3 to No. 6 after losing to South Carolina in Columbia.

The thing about that UCLA team is that they were feared for their fullcourt zone press. That was what destroyed Duke in the '64 title game. Bubas prepared for the game by having his first team work against seven defenders in practice. When they brought the ball up successully for the first time against the Bruins, the place went nuts.

The Duke win was shockingly easy -- Duke won 82-66. The next night in the Charlotte Coliseum, Duke again won easily 94-77. The next week Duke jumped to No. 1 in the nation. That was the first time Duke ever reached No. 1 in the AP poll (the '63 team spent most of the season at No. 2, but never got to No. 1).

Ricks, you are right about that Sports Illustrated article. Written by Frank Deford, it praised Duke, but also spent a lot of time talking aboutb a racial incident in the first game -- Kenny Washington's parents were subjected to racial taunts as they sat in the stands behinf the UCLA bench.

But you are confused about the Michigan game. Michigan didn't play in Durham that year. The 100-93 OT win -- which featured one of the great comebacks in Duke history to force overtime as No. 1 Duke beat No. 3 Michigan -- was played in Cobo Hall in Detroit. You are probably confusing it with Michigan's visit in December of 1964, when No. 1 Michigan beat No. 5 Duke in Durham. Or maybe December of 1966, when No. 4 Duke beat unranked Michigan in Durham.

Yes, you are correct. I got confused with the game with Michigan the year before when they came in ranked #1. We tied them up late in the game, but ended up losing by 7 at the end.

I do distinctly remember, however, Vacendak just taking the ball right through the heralded UCLA press after the inbounds pass, just as you said. He could really handle the ball.

ricks

budwom
07-01-2011, 08:32 AM
It just seemed that way to you, given all the men surrounding you. :p During the early to mid '60s, there were 2,400+ male undergraduates, 1,200+ coeds at the Women's College, and about 300 women in the Nursing School, totalling about 4,000 undergraduates.

IIRC the other factor seeming to tilt the male-female scale was that UNC Chapel Hill had no undergraduate women in the first two years (except for nurses). It admitted transfers in the junior and senior years, especially to take majors not offered at UNC Women's College (UNC-G today).

The expansion of the undergraduate student body at Duke -- and also at Yale, Harvard, Princeton, and other places -- occurred with the admission of women or (as at Duke and Harvard) the admission of about as many women as men. The same thing may have happened at UPenn, but many people credit the expansion of the undergrad student body there to over 8,000 to the construction of those gawd-awful high-rises in the middle of the Penn campus.

Another factor increasing enrollment at Duke applied mostly to the dumb-*** men: the increase in the graduation percentage from below 70% to well above 90%. (Gee, we're getting smart freshmen; why do we insist on flunking out one-third of them?)

sagegrouse
Good stuff, sagegrouse.
Another important factor in the increased graduation rate was the Vietnam war. If you left school you were likely to find yourself slithering thru the jungle, which was unappealing to lazy college students.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-01-2011, 11:00 AM
One other comment regarding the number of women and the amount of study time (Ricks and Sage), in the sixties there were VERY few elite colleges or universities which accepted women. Duke was something of a leader in accepting women early in its history.... the Giles sisters for whom one of the dorms is named.

When Alice Baldwin was brought in first as a professor, but began soon after influencing what the Woman's College would be like, the number of opportunities for women were quite limited. As women began to be admitted in greater numbers just prior to opening the Woman's College at Duke, Dean Baldwin's first challenge arose from among the faculty because the women's grades were too high.

The bottom line throughout that time and into the sixties is that highly qualified women had few places to enroll. Whether they were studying or not, there weren't nearly as many women as there were men. Though the women tended to stay in school, there were a remarkable number of those who didn't come back after freshman year.

Retention of students was not one of the goals then. We didn't get the same speech in freshman assemblies as you guys did (you know the one about look to your left, look to your right), but there as a quiet retreat and departure for quite a few nonetheless. There was also a lot of pressure on the women to excel.

Dean Ball made it very clear during the freshman assemblies that it was already time to think about graduate school, not marriage. She did mellow somewhat over time. Five years after I was a freshman, my sister enrolled. By that time Dean Ball was teaching the Alma Mater and the fight songs during freshman assemblies so the young women would be ready to participate at the first football game and other events where these songs were played and...... believe it or not....... the students actually sang them!

So, yes, some were in the library studying, but many of the girls I knew were at the football games and the basketball games as well.

grossbus
07-01-2011, 11:38 AM
i have to correct myself. i believe the first incarnation of the pep band was the striped blazer/straw hat version in 62-63. i remember being in the stands too often during my freshman year. not sure what i was thinking of.

the song played was, in fact, let's go. we never, at least while i was there, played Dixie.

i first encountered that "clap, clap, clap-clap-clap, clap-clap-clap-clap, let's go" beat in 1959. a boys high school in oregon used it as a cheer. how it got put to music to become the hit it did by 1962 is a mystery to me.

when we were coming back late in the second half against michigan in 64 was one of those times in cameron where i could not hear myself screaming. we had the ball on the break to tie the game, but ron herbster lost it out of bounds and we never got any closer.

the reason there were no women in the DUMB or pep bands had nothing to do with population. there were plenty of women in the concert band and i am sure a good many of them had marching band backgrounds. the stated reason (take it for what it is worth) is that women could not handle the 240 beats per minute pre-game entry routine used by DUMB and you had to be in DUMB to be in the pep band.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-01-2011, 12:19 PM
i have to correct myself. i believe the first incarnation of the pep band was the striped blazer/straw hat version in 62-63. i remember being in the stands too often during my freshman year. not sure what i was thinking of.

the song played was, in fact, let's go. we never, at least while i was there, played Dixie.

i first encountered that "clap, clap, clap-clap-clap, clap-clap-clap-clap, let's go" beat in 1959. a boys high school in oregon used it as a cheer. how it got put to music to become the hit it did by 1962 is a mystery to me.

when we were coming back late in the second half against michigan in 64 was one of those times in cameron where i could not hear myself screaming. we had the ball on the break to tie the game, but ron herbster lost it out of bounds and we never got any closer.

the reason there were no women in the DUMB or pep bands had nothing to do with population. there were plenty of women in the concert band and i am sure a good many of them had marching band backgrounds. the stated reason (take it for what it is worth) is that women could not handle the 240 beats per minute pre-game entry routine used by DUMB and you had to be in DUMB to be in the pep band.

If my memory is correct, the first role in DUMB allowed for women was as majorettes about 1966 or so. One of the gals in my dorm was one of that first small group. Flags and other such came later.

For those who are glad the male cheerleaders are gone, you missed some really good ones back in Duke's heyday in football and the beginning of the great success in basketball. Most of them were in the same fraternities as the football players and were BMOC. Then there was the head cheerleader who advocated for changing the mascot to the Blue Tuna or something like that, but that's a story for another day..... ;)

Olympic Fan
07-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Reading this thread made me remember the 'Let's Go" number that was the pep band's staple in the mid-1960s. Not sure where the song came from, but checking on youtube, this is the only version I could find (sorry it's the UConnvict pep band):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stWUn8NpVBA

grossbus
07-01-2011, 12:29 PM
"The bottom line throughout that time and into the sixties is that highly qualified women had few places to enroll. Whether they were studying or not, there weren't nearly as many women as there were men. Though the women tended to stay in school, there were a remarkable number of those who didn't come back after freshman year. "

it was common knowledge back in the 60's that Duke was extremely difficult for women to get into; the competition was very strong.

both my mother and her sister attended (and graduated from) Duke (entered in the late 30's) and they both met their husbands there.

i met my wife there.

Stray Gator
07-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Reading this thread made me remember the 'Let's Go" number that was the pep band's staple in the mid-1960s. Not sure where the song came from, but checking on youtube, this is the only version I could find (sorry it's the UConnvict pep band):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stWUn8NpVBA

Here's the version by The Routers that popularized the song and served as the basis for the Duke Pep Band version that was played back in the 60s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JQBPhH5goQ

ricks68
07-01-2011, 01:59 PM
I think another reason that Let's Go had so much popularity was that The Ventures picked it up for an album cut after The Routers came out with it. I had, or may still have somewhere, the album. Since The Ventures were such a high profile group, it may have given the song a much wider audience exposure. In addition, The Ventures, I believe, had a more lively, faster paced version than The Routers------and so did the Pep Band. When they started playing it, it was like the whole student body began "slapping the floor".

Also, I do not remember Dixie being played by the Pep Band, either, just a lot of Let's Go. (But then, by reviewing some past posting comments by me, my memory seems to just plain stink at times. I am old and crustie.;))

ricks

ricks68
07-01-2011, 02:17 PM
I think another reason that Let's Go had so much popularity was that The Ventures picked it up for an album cut after The Routers came out with it. I had, or may still have somewhere, the album. Since The Ventures were such a high profile group, it may have given the song a much wider audience exposure. In addition, The Ventures, I believe, had a more lively, faster paced version than The Routers------and so did the Pep Band. When they started playing it, it was like the whole student body began "slapping the floor".

Also, I do not remember Dixie being played by the Pep Band, either, just a lot of Let's Go. (But then, by reviewing some past posting comments by me, my memory seems to just plain stink at times. I am old and crustie.;))

ricks

I found one Ventures album, and while it is not the one with Let's Go on it, it shows on the back of the album cover that they actually had an album titled "Let's Go" that had the song on it.

Also, of note for the crusties, this was one of the first stereo albums I ever purchased. The Beach Boys' "Surfin' USA" was my first. (My first Bob Dylan album preceded this one, and it was still only available in Hi Fidelity at the time!)

ricks

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-01-2011, 02:20 PM

ricks

If I might add.... by the time the picture we've been discussing was made, the Pep Band had dropped Dixie and added "Devil with the Blue Dress On" and other popular songs to their repertoire. The choreography which went with the songs was a significant addition made at Coach Bubas's request. I remember from my yearbook work that Duke was one of the first, at least on the right coast, to add choreographed routines to the cheerleaders activities on the sidelines. Coach Bubas had seen the use of choreography when on the left coast and decided it was needed at Duke.

When people think about the contributions of Coach Bubas to basketball, they tend to overlook how stellar his contributions were. As for his contributions to traditions that shaped our traditions for basketball games, most would be surprised.

chrishoke
07-01-2011, 04:39 PM
My memory is that the pep band led the team onto the court after playing "Charge!" Man that was a long time ago.

Jim3k
07-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Ventures version (YouTube) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8L313VapwM)

Jim3k
07-01-2011, 05:26 PM
If I might add.... by the time the picture we've been discussing was made, the Pep Band had dropped Dixie and added "Devil with the Blue Dress On" and other popular songs to their repertoire. The choreography which went with the songs was a significant addition made at Coach Bubas's request. I remember from my yearbook work that Duke was one of the first, at least on the right coast, to add choreographed routines to the cheerleaders activities on the sidelines. Coach Bubas had seen the use of choreography when on the left coast and decided it was needed at Duke.

When people think about the contributions of Coach Bubas to basketball, they tend to overlook how stellar his contributions were. As for his contributions to traditions that shaped our traditions for basketball games, most would be surprised.

From Wiki concerning the song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_with_a_Blue_Dress_On), Devil with the Blue Dress: Written by Shorty Long and Mickey Stevenson and first performed by Long in 1964. Mitch Ryder cover version was in 1966 which went to No. 4 on Billboard.

Mitch Ryder version: YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dd9qjHUyHQ)

DitB was still in school; Sage and I had graduated in '64.

Verga3
07-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Bruce Springsteen version is fabulous. Song starts about 25 seconds in... Seems appropriate to have the Boss's version here since I understand his daughter is now at Duke. Know some students that saw him walking around campus last year...talk about a double-take! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPiBnICeKb8

grossbus
07-01-2011, 09:39 PM
"The Ventures, I believe, had a more lively, faster paced version than The Routers------and so did the Pep Band. When they started playing it, it was like the whole student body began "slapping the floor"."

You have me to thank for that; I set the beat. :)

Another great arrangement put together for the FF in KC; Goin' to Kansas City. It was great! Very lively!

The band got screwed in KC. They were placed way up at the top of that dingy dump.

77devil
07-01-2011, 10:21 PM
it was common knowledge back in the 60's that Duke was extremely difficult for women to get into; the competition was very strong.

That changed on a relative basis in the 70's after the dissolution of the women's college when Duke made a concerted effort to increase the female undergraduate enrollment numbers.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-01-2011, 10:42 PM
That changed on a relative basis in the 70's after the dissolution of the women's college when Duke made a concerted effort to increase the female undergraduate enrollment numbers.
The admission of more women at Duke certainly reflected a trend in higher education across the country.

Reilly
07-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Couple of thoughts ....

- watching the crowd in that Boss clip of Devil with the Blue Dress, I don't feel so bad about my woeful dancing skills ....

- love to hear the old stories of Cameron, and the music. It's tremendous to get cool Duke history from an article or research project from way back, but then when we get the sprinkled in reflections of folks who were there, helping to recreate the atmosphere with the music, and then listen to the music and imagine the energy and feel the long continuous line that we all belong to via Cameron -- just neat ...

- both the Routers and Ventures version of "Let's Go" are available on itunes. I just downloaded the Ventures version. Before today, the songs I most recently downloaded were some classical music referenced in William Styon's "Sophie's Choice" which I just read. Styron was Duke '47 and mentions Duke a lot in the novel. These side by side music downloads represent sort of the two sides of Duke for me: great literature, big themes, classical music .... fun, energy, wonderfulness of Cameron and b'ball and now "Let's Go" ....

ricks68
07-02-2011, 10:45 PM
"The Ventures, I believe, had a more lively, faster paced version than The Routers------and so did the Pep Band. When they started playing it, it was like the whole student body began "slapping the floor"."

You have me to thank for that; I set the beat. :)

Another great arrangement put together for the FF in KC; Goin' to Kansas City. It was great! Very lively!

The band got screwed in KC. They were placed way up at the top of that dingy dump.

Many thanks-------seriously. You really did enhance my Duke experience through that song at the games.:)

ricks

devildeac
07-04-2011, 03:37 PM
From Wiki concerning the song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_with_a_Blue_Dress_On), Devil with the Blue Dress: Written by Shorty Long and Mickey Stevenson and first performed by Long in 1964. Mitch Ryder cover version was in 1966 which went to No. 4 on Billboard.

Mitch Ryder version: YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dd9qjHUyHQ)

DitB was still in school; Sage and I had graduated in '64.

And fast forward to 6/4/11 and my daughter's wedding. She cheered for Duke for 3 years and our father-daughter dance was comprised of this medley of tunes. I did not even know the Soul Records original version of DwtBD existed until we started planning our dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmdH5hAhs_8 and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltRwmgYEUr8 and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5J6dvMDvQA

and a special appearance by this character:

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/download/file.php?id=1151&t=1

Great stuff!

ricks68
07-04-2011, 04:04 PM
A most hearty congratulations on your daughter's wedding!!!:D

What a fantastic picture.:)

ricks

OZZIE4DUKE
07-04-2011, 05:40 PM
A most hearty congratulations on your daughter's wedding!!!:D

What a fantastic picture.:)

ricks
I've got it all on video, posted on Facebook. It's a bit out of focus, but very watchable! :cool:
Try this link
http://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=ff852f2e947f5651fd3570eb9407dd24&#!/video/video.php?v=10150265670192292

Verga3
07-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Great stuff....doesn't get much better. Congrats on your daughter's marriage! I"m sure I wouldn't be able to hold it together through all your father-daughter dance selections. I'm sure no one will ever forget it....you're a great dad!!

devildeac
07-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Great stuff....doesn't get much better. Congrats on your daughter's marriage! I"m sure I wouldn't be able to hold it together through all your father-daughter dance selections. I'm sure no one will ever forget it....you're a great dad!!

Thanks! Did not mean to hijack the thread but just wanted to interject a bit of recent history that all the great preceding tales reminded about.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread about Duke history.:cool:

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-06-2011, 09:46 AM
I can identify two of the guys in the photo on the home page.... Tony Barone in the center and Tim Kolojay in the back on the right.

Steve68
07-06-2011, 10:00 AM
I've been out of the country for a few weeks and missed the pictures. I'd love to see them. Is there a link?

chrishoke
07-06-2011, 10:15 AM
I can identify two of the guys in the photo on the home page.... Tony Barone in the center and Tim Kolojay in the back on the right.

Nice call DBD. I had to check your spelling of Kolojay - just didn't look right.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Nice call DBD. I had to check your spelling of Kolojay - just didn't look right.
Tim update the spelling of his last name a few years back.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-06-2011, 10:40 AM
I have a suggestion regarding those photos. It would be great if there were an easily accessible archive where we could see the photos once they've been used on the home page. Photos which aren't selected for the home page could be available for viewing there was well.

My suggestion is made primarily in regards to the Lind photos, but a similar file for other photos used on the home page would be quite useful, too. If such an file exists, I haven't found it, but would love to know about it!

Devilnole
07-06-2011, 11:11 AM
I have a suggestion regarding those photos. It would be great if there were an easily accessible archive where we could see the photos once they've been used on the home page. Photos which aren't selected for the home page could be available for viewing there was well.

My suggestion is made primarily in regards to the Lind photos, but a similar file for other photos used on the home page would be quite useful, too. If such an file exists, I haven't found it, but would love to know about it!

I had a frat brother who would have been there from 67-71 named Lind. Just wondering if same guy.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-06-2011, 11:16 AM
I had a frat brother who would have been there from 67-71 named Lind. Just wondering if same guy.
This one who contributed the photos is a member of the Class of '69 if I'm not mistaken. His place in Duke history was sealed in a phenomenal game against Carolina.

Are you a Phi Delt?

roywhite
07-06-2011, 11:24 AM
This one who contributed the photos is a member of the Class of '69 if I'm not mistaken.
Are you a Phi Delt?

Fabulous Freddy Lind!

Nowadays known as the father of Olympic Gold Medal winner Caroline Lind. :)

Read about Caroline and her thoughts about her dad in this USA Rowing profile (http://rowing.teamusa.org/athletes/caroline-lind)

Her father, who has been a public defender in North Carolina for 30 years, and he played basketball at Duke University from 1966-69. Caroline says that he is one of her heroes in life because he has dedicated his life to serving people.

JG Nothing
07-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Tim Kolojay in the back on the right.

Uh, you mean the guy flipping the bird? Not that I care; just thought it was amusing (a typical guy thing to do).

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Uh, you mean the guy flipping the bird? Not that I care; just thought it was amusing (a typical guy thing to do).
It would appear that the folks in the photo are inebriated.

roywhite
07-06-2011, 12:01 PM
It would appear that the folks in the photo are inebriated.

Captain Renault: "I'm shocked, shocked to find that (insert vice of choice) is going on in here."

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Captain Renault: "I'm shocked, shocked to find that (insert vice of choice) is going on in here."
Some of the most dramatic events and incidents happened under the very circumstances we're discussing.

One incident I remember before your arrival at Duke, roy, involved a few brothers of Phi Deta Theta while having a party out at Spruce Pine Lodge one fine spring evening. They picked up one of the benches available nearby and used it as a battering ram on the door of the women's restroom.

jdj4duke
07-06-2011, 12:33 PM
.....I understand (Springsteen's) daughter is now at Duke.

You of course realize that over on IC it just proves that everyone at Duke is from New Jersey.

devildeac
07-06-2011, 01:08 PM
You of course realize that over on IC it just proves that everyone at Duke is from New Jersey.

IC="...townful of losers..."

;)

Verga3
07-06-2011, 06:42 PM

Fred Lind was the hero in maybe the best Duke - UNC game of all. Jim Sumner wrote a terrific piece on the game....Fred was carried to the Quad (and bonfire) after the game. http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022108aac.html

OZZIE4DUKE
07-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Fred Lind was the hero in maybe the best Duke - UNC game of all. Jim Sumner wrote a terrific piece on the game....Fred was carried to the Quad (and bonfire) after the game. http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022108aac.html
Just to be clear, Fred was NOT thrown into the bonfire... :cool:

Verga3
07-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Great pic of C.B. Claiborne on the DBR homepage now. That's Max Crowder in front of him. Anyone recognize the other players or the location of the photo?

Stray Gator
07-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Great pic of C.B. Claiborne on the DBR homepage now. That's Max Crowder in front of him. Anyone recognize the other players or the location of the photo?

Yep, that's a terrific photo of Claude. I don't recognize the location, but the fellow in front of Max looks like Dave Golden.

wsb3
07-09-2011, 08:13 PM
I enjoyed the posts that took me back to my youth and what began a life long love affair with Duke Basketball. Names that I had not heard in a long time. I do remember the triple OT game with Fred Lind. I'm not a kid any more (obviously) but I had linked the Steve Vandenberg 33 point game to that game and reading that Mike Lewis was the high scorer in that game made me do a little research. I was right about the Vandenberg 33 points against UNC but that was in March of 69. And we were not very good and that was an improbable win.

Many people don't realize that Duke played some very good basketball before Coach K arrived. We can't know for sure but maybe if Verga does not come down with strep throat we are the story that year. I think I read at one point that Bubas thought that was his best team.

Thank you guys.

DevilWearsPrada
07-13-2011, 08:38 PM
The picture of Mike Lewis on the swimming pool diving board.... where is that located?

Is that Central campus?
Or perhaps, the apartments on Swift Avenue, beside Highway 147?
Someplace else?

What year was that photograph? I really enjoy the Lind photos.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-13-2011, 08:56 PM
The picture of Mike Lewis on the swimming pool diving board.... where is that located?

Is that Central campus?
Or perhaps, the apartments on Swift Avenue, beside Highway 147?
Someplace else?

What year was that photograph? I really enjoy the Lind photos.
The location looks a little like a motel that used to be off Hillandale Rd., a Howard Johnson's in more recent years, not far from Honey's. A lot of the athletes used to go over to use the pool during summer school.

Maybe Mike can tell us the answer!

DevilWearsPrada
07-15-2011, 10:35 AM
The location looks a little like a motel that used to be off Hillandale Rd., a Howard Johnson's in more recent years, not far from Honey's. A lot of the athletes used to go over to use the pool during summer school.

Maybe Mike can tell us the answer!

Howard Johnson has been torn down, off of Hillandale Road. The Pan Pan Restaurant that was in front of it, was torn down years ago. It looks like the old Ho Jo's motel.

I enjoyed eating at Honeys (Guess Rd) as a school aged kid, before or after a Duke game. Thanks for the location update!

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Howard Johnson has been torn down, off of Hillandale Road. The Pan Pan Restaurant that was in front of it, was torn down years ago. It looks like the old Ho Jo's motel.

I enjoyed eating at Honeys (Guess Rd) as a school aged kid, before or after a Duke game. Thanks for the location update!
I lived in Durham for over forty years.... that helps in recognizing different iterations of various locales. On occasion I went with some of the football players when they went there to use the pool.

ricks68
07-18-2011, 02:10 AM
I attended Duke at the time of Freddy. The latest picture reminds of a flight I took from the old RDU airport to get home for Spring Break---probably around 1965, '66, or so. The airport terminal consisted of a very small building that had one portal to the boarding area, which was outside the building. It actually consisted of a low chain link fence with an opening to walk through. All passengers walked through the opening onto the tarmac and then up the stairs of the ramp into the plane. It was the only gate. (In fact, that may be it in the picture. It looks solid, as it may have had those wooden slats woven through the links in that picture or some sort of canvas covering it.)

In addition, the airplane I entered was a converted C-47 passenger plane that had wheels under each front wing and a wheel under the tail. The flight took something like 8 hours, as it was referred to as a "milk run". I think it landed something like 4 times in all on the way back home. Every time it took off again, I remember hearing the sound and vibration change once the airplane reached its cruising altitude and the props changed their pitch. The entire flight was so loud, and the vibration so intense, that I think I had buzzing in my ears and felt like I was continuously shaking for hours and hours afterwords.

Those were "the good old days" we Crusties cherish.:rolleyes: (Could be why I hitched a ride to the FF in College Park at that time instead of flying. Nah. It was the money.)

ricks

Stray Gator
07-18-2011, 09:30 AM
I attended Duke at the time of Freddy. The latest picture reminds of a flight I took from the old RDU airport to get home for Spring Break---probably around 1965, '66, or so. The airport terminal consisted of a very small building that had one portal to the boarding area, which was outside the building. It actually consisted of a low chain link fence with an opening to walk through. All passengers walked through the opening onto the tarmac and then up the stairs of the ramp into the plane. It was the only gate. (In fact, that may be it in the picture. It looks solid, as it may have had those wooden slats woven through the links in that picture or some sort of canvas covering it.)

ricks

In describing the RDU airport terminal as it was in the 1960s, you can't leave out the fact that the Piedmont baggage claim area was still outdoors, covered by a canopy that offered meager protection from the elements, at the far end of the single terminal building (approximately where the Southwest Air baggage claim area is presently located, I believe).

Indoor66
07-18-2011, 06:13 PM
In describing the RDU airport terminal as it was in the 1960s, you can't leave out the fact that the Piedmont baggage claim area was still outdoors, covered by a canopy that offered meager protection from the elements, at the far end of the single terminal building (approximately where the Southwest Air baggage claim area is presently located, I believe).

If you go in the airport, (Teminal 1 or A - I think) you can find a rendering of the 1st flight at Jocky Ridge - Kitty Hawk. This is located in what was the north portion of the original terminal. I am working off a long memory - so I may be incorrect.

roywhite
07-18-2011, 06:50 PM
The Lind photos and talk of a primitive RDU remind me of an article that came out in Sports Illustrated in March of 1968, a long piece in which the author tried to define the atmosphere around campus at the time.

The Timid Generation, by William Johnson SI March 11, 1968 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1080936/1/index.htm)

The article was a bit controversial at the time; those who attended Duke in the 1960's or earlier probably remember the piece. I also encourage you young'uns to read this for a history lesson.

This was one of the quotes I remembered:

Many students at Duke seem to be plodding patiently along, doggedly heading for some impenetrable postcollege cubbyhole—back to Daddy's baling-wire factory or into the womb of corporation law, or to a selling job where a man is paid a guaranteed salary rather than paid by commissions. They seem to have put a low ceiling on their ideals, to have leaped into weary adulthood at a discouragingly early age. They seem unalterably sensible and strangely self-protective.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-18-2011, 07:03 PM
The Lind photos and talk of a primitive RDU remind me of an article that came out in Sports Illustrated in March of 1968, a long piece in which the author tried to define the atmosphere around campus at the time.

The Timid Generation, by William Johnson SI March 11, 1968 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1080936/1/index.htm)

The article was a bit controversial at the time; those who attended Duke in the 1960's or earlier probably remember the piece. I also encourage you young'uns to read this for a history lesson.

This was one of the quotes I remembered:

Bless his heart, this author must have conspired and consorted with that weirdo professor who wrote to the Chronicle years ago. He described the students', especially the freshman, response to the fine lectures in terms of "pearls before swine." (Maybe ole Sage can tell it better than I can!)

Olympic Fan
07-18-2011, 07:52 PM

Ahh, remember that article well ... I was a student at Duke at the time.

What's interesting is that Johnson was so far off base. His article appeared in March ... less than a month later, students responded to Martin Luther King's assissination with the week-long vigil -- over 1,000 students camped out on the main quad, protesting the university's slow progress in racial integration, agitating for equality and labor rights.

The next year saw the Allen Building takeover -- the Black Student Association occupied the main administration building. Several thousand students responded by storming the quad in support ... which provoked Douglas Knight to call in the National Guard, which got there after the back students had left the Allen Building, so they teargassed the crowd on the quad instead.

I love reading how Duke students didn't care and didn't have heroes ... as he wrote those words hundreds of Duke students were campaigning in their free time for Bobby Kennedy. There were regular anti-war protests on campus ... when Bobby Kennedy was shot, most of his supporters switched to Gene McCarthy (We "went clean for Gene") and continued to trape through Durham neighborhoods pushing for his nomination.

That was one of the most politically active student groups in school history -- they helped form political alliances with Black Durham voter groups that dominated Durham politics for almost two decdes.

Now. I'm not saying those student were right or wrong ... but to suggest they were too timid to get involved in the issues of the day, well, Johnson was absolutely wrong.

ricks68
07-18-2011, 10:10 PM

The next year saw the Allen Building takeover -- the Black Student Association occupied the main administration building. Several thousand students responded by storming the quad in support ... which provoked Douglas Knight to call in the National Guard, which got there after the back students had left the Allen Building, so they teargassed the crowd on the quad instead.

I don't think that the police that came in the overturned, burning police car thought the students were very timid, either.

ricks

roywhite
07-18-2011, 10:40 PM

What's interesting is that Johnson was so far off base. His article appeared in March ... less than a month later, students responded to Martin Luther King's assissination with the week-long vigil -- over 1,000 students camped out on the main quad, protesting the university's slow progress in racial integration, agitating for equality and labor rights....

Now. I'm not saying those student were right or wrong ... but to suggest they were too timid to get involved in the issues of the day, well, Johnson was absolutely wrong.

Yes, good observations.

What I recall most from that article (which I read with interest as I awaited my admissions decision) was the dismissive tone that the author took toward North Carolina and the Durham area, that any chance of Duke becoming a great university was surely limited by the backwards surroundings.

The tone was clear right from the start.

Duke University probably would like nothing so much as to be utterly Ivy League. But, of course, it is in North Carolina and, for better or worse, North Carolina is not Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticut or even New Jersey. No, Duke is not Ivy League, not even Ivy League with a drawl. For miles beyond the 7,000 acres of pleasant pine stands named Duke Forest there are other pine woods, unnamed, and they are laced with innumerable squiggles of sylvan roads leading to settlements of fundamentalist fiddlers and secret sunlit glades full of steaming distilleries of white lightning. The Bible Belt holds up the moral pants of the region...

I'd be curious to know what the author thinks now of what he wrote then; we have the advantage of hindsight, but the piece seemed condescending and off-target even at the time.

Jim3k
07-18-2011, 11:30 PM

In addition, the airplane I entered was a converted C-47 passenger plane that had wheels under each front wing and a wheel under the tail. The flight took something like 8 hours, as it was referred to as a "milk run". I think it landed something like 4 times in all on the way back home. Every time it took off again, I remember hearing the sound and vibration change once the airplane reached its cruising altitude and the props changed their pitch. The entire flight was so loud, and the vibration so intense, that I think I had buzzing in my ears and felt like I was continuously shaking for hours and hours afterwords.

Those were "the good old days" we Crusties cherish.:rolleyes: (Could be why I hitched a ride to the FF in College Park at that time instead of flying. Nah. It was the money.)

ricks

Converted C-47? That was simply a DC-3. The DC-3s were the ones which were converted to military use, not the other way around. Beyond that, many of those twin-engine piston passenger planes were Convair CV-240s, which may have been the plane in the pic. Unlike the DC-3s, the CV-240s had a tricycle landing gear, but otherwise the two were pretty similar.

killerleft
07-20-2011, 09:05 AM
I hope that Max Crowder and Freddie Lind are joking about the horrid shower tiles at what would be the almost new Carmichael Auditorium. That color surely did not belong on a Duke campus!

chrishoke
07-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Well, I recognise Warren Chapman and Max Crowder in the new pohoto on the front page. I'm sure some of you will ID others.

roywhite
07-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Well, I recognise Warren Chapman and Max Crowder in the new pohoto on the front page. I'm sure some of you will ID others.

The player toward the back in a somewhat fuzzy image is Glen Smiley, class of 1970 from Bozeman, Montana. He didn't play a lot, but a really funny, nice guy who occasionally did deejay stints on WDNC.

dukejunkie
07-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Does Mason never age :confused:

Tappan Zee Devil
07-22-2011, 03:16 PM
The player toward the back in a somewhat fuzzy image is Glen Smiley, class of 1970 from Bozeman, Montana. He didn't play a lot, but a really funny, nice guy who occasionally did deejay stints on WDNC.

My memory is that Smiley was hurt most of the time. Actually, none of the guys in my class (1970) played a whole lot, although the couple of them that I knew somewhat were all really good guys.

Jim

CBDUKE
07-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Does Mason never age :confused:

I agree. At first glance I thought that was Mason in the photo too. Then I realized that I was old and couldn't see well.

Indoor66
07-22-2011, 04:08 PM
My memory is that Smiley was hurt most of the time. Actually, none of the guys in my class (1970) played a whole lot, although the couple of them that I knew somewhat were all really good guys.

Jim

Smiles was injured a lot. A 6'6" forward, he was, later, in the medical development located in Dallas, TX. I have no idea what he might be doing today.

Is the guy sitting front right, next to the woman in red Rich Warren?

Faustus
08-12-2011, 12:02 AM
I forgot to mention it at the time a few days ago, but the topic about the new floor today reminded me of the Fred Lind photo of the scoreboards that until maybe the mid-70s used to be high on the end walls. Those who remember recall it was a fabulous old thing, with backlit opaque white glass panels with the last names of each player on each team in two opposing rows, and beside each was a light lit for a) currently being in the game (was that yellow?), b) for the last on each team to have scored (green?) and c) the number of fouls per player (red, certainly). Not sure there was ever another quite like it, but it did not show well on tv and sadly had to be replaced (sent I believe to a new life at a little college in eastern NC if I'm not mistaken). It also had only two digits per team score, so whenever Duke passed a hundred, it only showed the two or three points after the century mark. Then there was that most quaint "next opponent" glass plate. I loved that scoreboard. (And let's not even get started with the old football scoreboard and the unbelievably weird 15 minute analog clockface...). But thanks, DBR, for bringing back the image of the old bball scoreboard, which I hadn't thought about in years,

killerleft
08-12-2011, 02:08 AM
I forgot to mention it at the time a few days ago, but the topic about the new floor today reminded me of the Fred Lind photo of the scoreboards that until maybe the mid-70s used to be high on the end walls. Those who remember recall it was a fabulous old thing, with backlit opaque white glass panels with the last names of each player on each team in two opposing rows, and beside each was a light lit for a) currently being in the game (was that yellow?), b) for the last on each team to have scored (green?) and c) the number of fouls per player (red, certainly). Not sure there was ever another quite like it, but it did not show well on tv and sadly had to be replaced (sent I believe to a new life at a little college in eastern NC if I'm not mistaken). It also had only two digits per team score, so whenever Duke passed a hundred, it only showed the two or three points after the century mark. Then there was that most quaint "next opponent" glass plate. I loved that scoreboard. (And let's not even get started with the old football scoreboard and the unbelievably weird 15 minute analog clockface...). But thanks, DBR, for bringing back the image of the old bball scoreboard, which I hadn't thought about in years,

LOL, Dali never came up with a stranger timepiece than that old football scoreboard clock! I wonder, who was the twisted mastermind behind it? What a kidder.

dukechem
08-13-2011, 01:17 AM
I'm new to attaching pictures, and I think I messed up the last attempt at attaching a picture. The picture is from the 11/2/68 Ga Tech game. With some luck this will be a common scene this year.

orrnot
08-13-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm new to attaching pictures, and I think I messed up the last attempt at attaching a picture. The picture is from the 11/2/68 Ga Tech game. With some luck this will be a common scene this year.

Great Photo! That structural steel stayed in place until 1998 and supported the succeeding scoreboard(s?). Remnants of that old face remained behind the newer displays. Wallace Wade was a great track venue and supported some high profile events, but the prospect of tumbling into that steel must have made runners cautious at that turn--it was very close to the inside lane. In 1998 the new video board was erected on the outside of the track.

killerleft
08-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Regarding the old Wade scoreboard clock:

In my mind's eye, I remember that the seconds were extremely hard to read because there were no corresponding "hashmarks" for seconds on the clock, only for the minutes. Its been so long, though, I wouldn't be surprised to find out there was no hand for seconds and THAT is why end-of-quarter was so confusing.

Anyway, if I'm right, I also seem to remember that the second hand, because of the mechanics involved with such a large clock, didn't stop for a heartbeat or two after the officials whistled the ball dead.

Somebody help me. I've always had an active imagination, and memories aren't always reliable.:confused:

Kimist
08-13-2011, 05:22 PM

Lest we forget, the students were all herded together (literally fenced in... or was it out??) near the closed end of the stadium.

And then there were those always aggravating splinters to pluck from your nether regions!!!

IIRC, the picture shown is roughly one year ahead of the "shoestring play," of great Duke fame, that occurred right in front of said scoreboard against those pale blue guys. :)

I'm not quite sure if this was about the same time frame when some Chronicle folks only partly tongue in cheek suggested renaming the football team the "Blue Tunas."

k

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Lest we forget, the students were all herded together (literally fenced in... or was it out??) near the closed end of the stadium.

And then there were those always aggravating splinters to pluck from your nether regions!!!

IIRC, the picture shown is roughly one year ahead of the "shoestring play," of great Duke fame, that occurred right in front of said scoreboard against those pale blue guys. :)

I'm not quite sure if this was about the same time frame when some Chronicle folks only partly tongue in cheek suggested renaming the football team the "Blue Tunas."

k
Since Duke students only showed their ID cards to get in back then, I always thought the fences were to keep others out. It was also a way of making clear which sections were the student sections when there were big crowds at the games.

My recall of the Blue Tuna campaign is that was Al Cone's idea... Al was the head cheerleader that year. Some on the Chronicle staff chimed in, but with a bit of a tongue in cheek attitude.

Splinters were indeed ever present.

Jarhead
08-13-2011, 09:09 PM

k

Since Duke students only showed their ID cards to get in back then, I always thought the fences were to keep others out. It was also a way of making clear which sections were the student sections when there were big crowds at the games.

My recall of the Blue Tuna campaign is that was Al Cone's idea... Al was the head cheerleader that year. Some on the Chronicle staff chimed in, but with a bit of a tongue in cheek attitude.

Splinters were indeed ever present.

That's right, the fences, which were about waste high were to keep the paying fans out. Not necessary, though. I went to my first game there in 1949 as a freshman. Freshmen had to sit together, and had to wear dinks, Duke blue, the dark version, something like a rain hat with a white '53 on the front. The students filled up the student section well before the games. Students arriving late to the games would find seats in the steel stands behind the concrete stands. No tickets, even though we were all given a book of tickets for all sports for the whole year. Nobody collected them. No IDs either, and everybody went to the games. Student seats started in section 25, or maybe 24, and there was enough room for the entire student body, about 5k students. Freshly cooked NC style BBQ was cooked in large hickory fired pits right behind the stands and was the only food I recall being sold. Best BBQ ever.

While I was on campus, several games were sellouts, or near sellouts with somewhere near 50k fans. I don't remember the splintery seats until many years later, and they were bad. Most people had blankets, anyhow, except students. One of the nice things back then was Wallace Wade sitting on the bench. The coaching staff and players had to either sit on the bench, or stand behind it. Couldn't block the coach's view of the field, and fans in the lower rows actually could see the sideline action. The card tricks were great, too. Indescribable, but a mystery to us. We couldn't see them.

dukechem
08-14-2011, 12:38 PM

Here is a picture of the old scoreboard from the Alabama game on 12/2/68. This was Vic Bubas' 200th win.

Indoor66
08-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Here is a picture of the old scoreboard from the Alabama game on 12/2/68. This was Vic Bubas' 200th win.

I always liked those scoreboards because of the information available about each player - at any time. You could see who had foul trouble, etc - not just the players on the floor.

Faustus
08-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the photo, Dukechem. So it looks like it's the gold/yellow light on the left of the player's name indicating the five on the floor, the green light at far right on each column indicates the last player of each side to have scored, and the other lights, pretty sure they were red, are the numbers of fouls for each player. What a great old thing that scoreboard system was. Cutting edge technology, I'm sure, when first put up there.

Olympic Fan
09-08-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure who that is with Bubas on today's front page pick (Sept. 8), but it is not Eddie Cameron.

At least, it's not the Eddie Cameron who was the Duke basketball coach from 1929-42 ... the football coach from 1942-45 ... and the athletic director from about 1951 to 1967 or '68 (he was the man who hired Bubas).

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-08-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure who that is with Bubas on today's front page pick (Sept. 8), but it is not Eddie Cameron.

At least, it's not the Eddie Cameron who was the Duke basketball coach from 1929-42 ... the football coach from 1942-45 ... and the athletic director from about 1951 to 1967 or '68 (he was the man who hired Bubas).
You are correct. That's not Eddie Cameron with Coach Bubas. Maybe someone else knows who the mystery guy is.

Tappan Zee Devil
09-08-2011, 11:40 AM
You are correct. That's not Eddie Cameron with Coach Bubas. Maybe someone else knows who the mystery guy is.

Maybe a young Chuck Daly?

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Good guess, but I don't think so. I was there when Coach Daly was. He didn't look quite like that.

roywhite
09-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Possibly. Here's a link to the 1966-67 team picture and info from goduke.com archives
Freddy was on the team and Daly was an assistant.

Is that Coach Daly in the Lind photo? (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=1966-67)

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Possibly. Here's a link to the 1966-67 team picture and info from goduke.com archives
Freddy was on the team and Daly was an assistant.

Is that Coach Daly in the Lind photo? (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=1966-67)
You know that I respect your opinions, roy, but in the case I disagree.

I sat behind the freshman team and then the varsity during the freshman and sophomore years. I also worked on the Chanticleer staff..... helped id pictures as well as write lots of copy. Coach Daly's eyebrows were much thicker than the guy in this photo. There's a distinct shape created by the part in the hair that doesn't look like Coach Daly. The man looks very familiar, but I don't think it's coach Daly.

77devil
09-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I met Daly in 1972 and saw him up close several times that year when he was at Penn. Unless he had a lot of plastic surgery in the interim, there is no way he's the one next to Bubas in the picture.

killerleft
09-08-2011, 03:11 PM
It looks more like Tom Harp, our football coach at the time, than anyone else I can think of from Duke.

jimsumner
09-08-2011, 03:43 PM
It looks more like Tom Harp, our football coach at the time, than anyone else I can think of from Duke.

It looks like Daly on the top row, on the other side from Bubas.

Tom Carmody was the other assistant. I couldn't tell you what Tom Carmody looked like if you put a gun to my head.

roywhite
09-08-2011, 03:49 PM
It looks like Daly on the top row, on the other side from Bubas.

Tom Carmody was the other assistant. I couldn't tell you what Tom Carmody looked like if you put a gun to my head.

I assume you're referring to the 1966-67 team photo that I linked a few posts back.
I agree with you there, but I think we're still unsure about the pic from the DBR front page with Coach Bubas and another individual reportedly taken in Columbia, SC on a road trip.

I may have confused the issue by posting the old team photo to see if the coach on the left (Daly) of that picture was the same individual as shown in the Lind photo.
So far, the consensus is that the unidentified individual next to Bubas in the Lind photo is probably not Chuck Daly.

Faustus
09-08-2011, 04:02 PM
It isn't Tom Harp (who wouldn't have been in Columbia anyway) and I'm pretty sure it isn't Tom Carmody. Hate to say it, but it almost looks like a young Woody Durham. Could this have been a Saturday afternoon ACC Game of the Week game? Durham called some of them, I do believe, for the tv network. Who was the radio voice for Duke then? Not Ad Penfield, was it? (No idea what he looked like). Of course it could just be some random guy from Columbia, SC.

And is that a Diner's Club sign attached to the 60s motel signpole? Ah, nostalgia...

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Mr. Lind, please come forward and identify the man in the picture!

stals
09-08-2011, 07:25 PM
It isn't Tom Harp (who wouldn't have been in Columbia anyway) and I'm pretty sure it isn't Tom Carmody. Hate to say it, but it almost looks like a young Woody Durham. Could this have been a Saturday afternoon ACC Game of the Week game? Durham called some of them, I do believe, for the tv network. Who was the radio voice for Duke then? Not Ad Penfield, was it? (No idea what he looked like). Of course it could just be some random guy from Columbia, SC.

And is that a Diner's Club sign attached to the 60s motel signpole? Ah, nostalgia...

I wish I could id the other person with Vic Bubas in the photo, but I'm class of '73 and don't know all these oldtimers!

That's an American Express sign, tho, not Diners Club

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-08-2011, 07:57 PM

I wish I could id the other person with Vic Bubas in the photo, but I'm class of '73 and don't know all these oldtimers!

That's an American Express sign, tho, not Diners Club
Add Penfield had some health problems during the 1975-76 basketball season. Bob Harris began to fill in that time.

The guy doesn't really look like the pictures of Add Penfield that I've seen.

Mr. Lind? How about an ID.

Jim3k
09-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Agree that it isn't Cameron. Cameron was in his mid-sixties and looked it. Receding hairline, steel-grey hair combed back and a ..., to be kind, ...a portly frame. This guy is in his forties, dark hair and reasonably slender. Besides, I remember Cameron mostly in shirtsleeves, with collar button open or straining to be that way.

roywhite
09-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Okay, probably an easy one for some....

Who is the guy on the left on the Lind photo on today's DBR Front Page?

I'm guessing others are Fred Lind and Steve Vandenberg in back row
Dave (Slinky) Golden and CB Claiborne in middle row
Tony Barone in front

Did we ever get an ID on the second person in the Columbia, SC photo?

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-15-2011, 01:28 PM

Tony Barone in front

The guy on the left is my bud Joe Kennedy, member of the famous trio of Kennedy, Kolojay and Barone fame.

Still no word on the guy in picture with Coach Bubas taken in Columbia.

Indoor66
09-15-2011, 02:31 PM

Tony Barone in front

Are you sure that isn't Mike Lewis to Fred's right in the photo? Sure looks like him to me - rather than Steve Vandenberg (6'7") who was shorter than Lind.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Are you sure that isn't Mike Lewis to Fred's right in the photo? Sure looks like him to me - rather than Steve Vandenberg (6'7") who was shorter than Lind.
Don't think Mike's in this photo. The guy on Fred's right, our left, is Joe Kennedy.

Kimist
09-15-2011, 03:58 PM
I agree with roywhite's IDs.

Would have had a difficult time coming up with Kennedy, but I think that is probably correct.

Mike Lewis (of Missoula, MT) is definitely not in the picture. For sure is V'berg, he of the accurate free throw percentage.

Sure wish someone could figure out the "stranger in SC" though.....

k

Tappan Zee Devil
09-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I agree with roywhite's IDs.

Would have had a difficult time coming up with Kennedy, but I think that is probably correct.

Mike Lewis (of Missoula, MT) is definitely not in the picture. For sure is V'berg, he of the accurate free throw percentage.

Sure wish someone could figure out the "stranger in SC" though.....

k

That is definitely Kennedy. The guy in the back on the right is certainly not Mike Lewis. It is probably V'berg (I don't know who else it could be), although it is not a good picture of him

Verga3
09-15-2011, 09:00 PM

Tony Barone in front

Correct, sir!! Love CB's jacket!

CameronBlue
09-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Correct, sir!! Love CB's jacket!

Not to mention the classic fashion catalogue pose. Hilarious!

watzone
09-16-2011, 09:59 AM
My buddy Al asked me to come take a look at a photo in question about somebody being beside Bubas, but I am having a hard time figuring out which pic. Can someone provide a link?

77devil
09-16-2011, 10:19 AM
My buddy Al asked me to come take a look at a photo in question about somebody being beside Bubas, but I am having a hard time figuring out which pic. Can someone provide a link?

It's not with these other front page photos from the Lind collection. Perhaps Julio or another administrator can post it again.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=41618

watzone
09-16-2011, 11:57 AM
It's not with these other front page photos from the Lind collection. Perhaps Julio or another administrator can post it again.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=41618

Okay, so I am not crazy. I didn't really see the picture in question when going to the link. I'm usually pretty good with figuring out these kind of things, so would love to see it.

Faustus
10-17-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm loving these Lind Photos.

So where is this? The Jung Hotel? Is that across the street from the Freud? Definitely a very 'Mad Men' feel to these shots. (If they'd invested in college bball and not jai alai, maybe their ad company wouldn't have gone under...)

Jim3k
10-18-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm loving these Lind Photos.

So where is this? The Jung Hotel? Is that across the street from the Freud? Definitely a very 'Mad Men' feel to these shots. (If they'd invested in college bball and not jai alai, maybe their ad company wouldn't have gone under...)

New Orleans, I think. http://wikimapia.org/3318263/Jung-Hotel-closed

roywhite
11-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Haha...nice gesture by Mr. Lind or the proprietors of this site in their choice of photos for the current front page.

That's Larry Saunders, whose son Scott is coming to town with Belmont, along with Larry's old pal Glen Smiley.

I vaguely recall the store whose name in on the side of the truck. :)

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Haha...nice gesture by Mr. Lind or the proprietors of this site in their choice of photos for the current front page.

That's Larry Saunders, whose son Scott is coming to town with Belmont, along with Larry's old pal Glen Smiley.

I vaguely recall the store whose name in on the side of the truck. :)
Was Jim's Party Store over near the Blue Light?

-jk
11-04-2011, 06:14 PM

If memory serves, Jim's was at Trent and Hillsborough. Lots of kegs from there over the years...

Indoor66
11-04-2011, 06:42 PM
If memory serves, Jim's was at Trent and Hillsborough. Lots of kegs from there over the years...

That is correct - the southeast corner of Trent and Hillsborough - across the street from the site of the West Durham Ice House (which was torn down and became a convenience store). To the immediate south of the Ice House, on Trent Street, was Bub's Drive Inn. A popular watering hole.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-04-2011, 07:00 PM
That is correct - the southeast corner of Trent and Hillsborough - across the street from the site of the West Durham Ice House (which was torn down and became a convenience store). To the immediate south of the Ice House, on Trent Street, was Bub's Drive Inn. A popular watering hole.
Bub's had exceptionally good hamburgers.

77devil
11-04-2011, 07:09 PM

You're thinking of Sam's Quick Stop. Sam's and Jim's were indispensable.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-04-2011, 07:15 PM
It's all coming back now........:cool:

Indoor66
11-04-2011, 07:19 PM

Sam's Quick Stop was the conversion of the original Blue Light restaurant. Sam Boy was the owner.

Jim3k
11-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Bub's had exceptionally good hamburgers.

Don't remember Bub's, but the Blue Light specialized in hamburger steaks (made by smacking three patties together edge to edge, broiling them and covering them with brown gravy). It was a great alternative to the Duke cafeteria, mainly because they sold beer (Carling's Black Label; Busch Bavarian) and had good fries.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Don't remember Bub's, but the Blue Light specialized in hamburger steaks (made by smacking three patties together edge to edge, broiling them and covering them with brown gravy). It was a great alternative to the Duke cafeteria, mainly because they sold beer (Carling's Black Label; Busch Bavarian) and had good fries.
My dad, T '33, discovered Bub's over in what he liked to call West Durham. I don't remember clearly whether this was when I was an undergraduate and my family would visit or a little later. He could find the best hamburgers and hot dogs. ;)