PDA

View Full Version : Coach K Summer Press Conference 2011

Newton_14
06-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Coach K held his annual summer press conference with local media today. Link below to the full press conference from GoDuke.com
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&ATCLID=205177531&DB_OEM_ID=4200

He speaks on a variety of topics including Capel, China trip, this years team, etc

He notes that all of our guys will be in class starting July 5th for the 2nd Summer Session. Wheels up to China August 15th. K is looking forward to coaching a young team and said it will be refreshing to coach this group. Good stuff.

He also speaks on the state of the ACC and feels all ACC teams need to schedule stronger to help get the ACC back to the top.

Edit: Here is a link to the WRAL story that also has the link to the full press conference.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/9794363/

roywhite
06-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks for posting. Always interesting to hear Coach K speak.

It's great to see the coach lay out the challenges for the 2011-12, but also talk about the potential and excitement of new players blending in and existing players going "from good to outstanding."

devildeac
06-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Coach K held his annual summer press conference with local media today. Link below to the full press conference from GoDuke.com
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&ATCLID=205177531&DB_OEM_ID=4200

He speaks on a variety of topics including Capel, China trip, this years team, etc

He notes that all of our guys will be in class starting July 5th for the 2nd Summer Session. Wheels up to China August 15th. K is looking forward to coaching a young team and said it will be refreshing to coach this group. Good stuff.

He also speaks on the state of the ACC and feels all ACC teams need to schedule stronger to help get the ACC back to the top.

Edit: Here is a link to the WRAL story that also has the link to the full press conference.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/9794363/

I read the article in the n&o this AM before heading into work. Doesn't sound like K is going to be hanging up the shoes anytime soon as he feels very refreshed, energetic and challenged and better than he did when he was 54 and had two hip replacement surgeries in his future. He loves his staff, the job and the university.

OldPhiKap
06-29-2011, 09:43 AM
I have added my favorite quote from K as my new signature line. He really sounds like he is having fun!

Olympic Fan
06-29-2011, 10:40 AM
I think the most interesting thing I heard during the presser was K's revelation that USA Basketball would have been in big trouble this summer if we had not won the World Championship last summer.

He said it in passing (talking about how he has a relaxed summer) ... but the point was that winning the World Championship earned the US an automatic berth in the 2012 Olympics. If we had failed to win last summer in Istanbul, we'd have had to participate in the regional qualifying tournament this summer in Argentina.

Normally, that's no big deal -- that's how we earned a berth in the 2008 Olympics (remember, we only got the bronze in the 2006 World Championships). But K casually mentioned that with the NBA lockout this summer, he wouldn't have had any players available!

Now, I don't know the details. I'd like to see somebody in the media follow up on this -- is he saying that with the lockout, USA Basketball couldn't use NBA players? Would we have had to put together a team of collegians? Could that team have been bolstered with veterans who are out of the league? In the summer of 1998, a composite team of collegians and CBA (before Isaih Thomas ruined that league) players won a god medal against international pros at the Goodwill Games in Moscow -- Elton Brand was the star of the team. I wonder if we would have had to use something like that.

Anyway, I found it interesting ... and wish I could get more details.

roywhite
06-29-2011, 11:29 AM
I think the most interesting thing I heard during the presser was K's revelation that USA Basketball would have been in big trouble this summer if we had not won the World Championship last summer.

He said it in passing (talking about how he has a relaxed summer) ... but the point was that winning the World Championship earned the US an automatic berth in the 2012 Olympics. If we had failed to win last summer in Istanbul, we'd have had to participate in the regional qualifying tournament this summer in Argentina.

Normally, that's no big deal -- that's how we earned a berth in the 2008 Olympics (remember, we only got the bronze in the 2006 World Championships). But K casually mentioned that with the NBA lockout this summer, he wouldn't have had any players available!

Now, I don't know the details. I'd like to see somebody in the media follow up on this -- is he saying that with the lockout, USA Basketball couldn't use NBA players? Would we have had to put together a team of collegians? Could that team have been bolstered with veterans who are out of the league? In the summer of 1998, a composite team of collegians and CBA (before Isaih Thomas ruined that league) players won a god medal against international pros at the Goodwill Games in Moscow -- Elton Brand was the star of the team. I wonder if we would have had to use something like that.Anyway, I found it interesting ... and wish I could get more details.

Yeah, I heard that and also thought it was very interesting.

My first thought is that the best players available might have been some of the recent 2011 draftees like Kyrie and Derrick Williams. But then, maybe they would have been reluctant to get in the middle of a labor dispute, too?

That win last summer was good on many levels:
seemed to help the development of many of the USA players
got the bye that left this summer open for NBA players who will likely compete in 2012
gave Coach K the time off for a little rest and then the Dubai/China trip
big plus for the Duke program as a result

MChambers
06-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I heard that and also thought it was very interesting.

My first thought is that the best players available might have been some of the recent 2011 draftees like Kyrie and Derrick Williams. But then, maybe they would have been reluctant to get in the middle of a labor dispute, too?

I was assuming the concern related to the risk of serious injury while not under contract.

DevilWearsPrada
06-30-2011, 12:04 PM
I have added my favorite quote from K as my new signature line. He really sounds like he is having fun!

"I’m in a place that is perfect for me. I love my school. I’ve got all the guys on my staff — they’re my guys. I’ve got great kids. I’ve got a fanbase that supports us in such great fashion. Really, for me, I don’t have a negative about my position, and really, it’s why I’m here, I’m still here coaching. For me, there could never be a better situation.” -- Coach K

Coach K looks great and totally refreshed. I hope he stays around Duke for several more years. Thanks for posting the Presser. Everything sounds great. The China and Dubai trip will be a wonderful experience for the staff and the players. I don't even want to think about the Day that Coach K announces his retirement. He has a great job, at a great university, with the Best Fan Base, Cameron Crazies and best staff and players to coach. :D

Newton_14
07-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Here is a good article by WRAL's Donald Ware who interviewed Coach K this week. Coach speaks on Kyrie, the 1 and done rule, and recruiting 1 and dones, among other things.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/9806386/

Newton_14
07-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks for posting. Always interesting to hear Coach K speak.

It's great to see the coach lay out the challenges for the 2011-12, but also talk about the potential and excitement of new players blending in and existing players going "from good to outstanding."

One of the more interesting things in the presser to me was the fact that Coach K indicated he has not yet settled on a style of play, and his comments on leadership.

He mentioned that the bigs will be expected to score more this year, and post scoring would be more of a focus than recent seasons. He even mentioned that this team could possibly be a "inside-out" team. He also stated that he feels Mason is on the cusp of being a great player. "Mason is right there" he said. He said the three-some of Miles, Mason, and Ryan will be counted on heavily and feels they are up for the task.

At this point he has no set plan on what scheme's he will put in for this year's team and will use the China/Dubai trip to "let the guys figure it out" and let him figure out how to shape them based on what he sees in these games. Which makes the timing of this trip so important. It fell in the exact right year for Duke.

He is also looking for leaders to emerge in China and he mentioned Mason, Ryan, and Seth as potential candidates, but would not be surprised if one of the others guys emerged as a leader either.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out and this team comes together.

Bob Green
07-03-2011, 12:47 PM
He mentioned that the bigs will be expected to score more this year, and post scoring would be more of a focus than recent seasons. He even mentioned that this team could possibly be a "inside-out" team. He also stated that he feels Mason is on the cusp of being a great player. "Mason is right there" he said. He said the three-some of Miles, Mason, and Ryan will be counted on heavily and feels they are up for the task.

This was my favorite part of the entire press conference. I really desire to see the team look inside for points on a consistent basis for two reasons. First, inside shots are high percentage shots. Second, the ability to consistently score the ball inside will open up the perimeter for 3-point gunners Dawkins and Curry.