PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Rowbury

NYC Duke Fan
06-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Shannon a 2006 Duke graduate came in 3rd yesterday in the 1500 meters in the US Nationals meet. I believe that the top 3 performers qualify for the World championships later this year in South Korea.

Shannon ran the 1500 at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 and hopefully she can do the same in London in 2012.

Wishing her the best.

uh_no
06-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Shannon a 2006 Duke graduate came in 3rd yesterday in the 1500 meters in the US Nationals meet. I believe that the top 3 performers qualify for the World championships later this year in South Korea.

Shannon ran the 1500 at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 and hopefully she can do the same in London in 2012.

Wishing her the best.

Yup. Great race. She barely nipped Chirtin Wurth-THomas.

Duke09
06-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Yup. Great race. She barely nipped Chirtin Wurth-THomas.

Shannon took the bronze medal in the 1500 at the World Champs in 2009. And there really isn't a better person. Hope she can repeat the magic this year.

uh_no
06-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Hope she can repeat the magic this year.

I certainly do too. Unfortunately my expectations aren't great. She got very lucky to catch CWT at the line, and was well beaten by the first two girls. She has had an inconsistent season and with the rest of the world thrown in, I'm hesitant to pick her to medal again.

It'll be interesting to keep an eye on her as the season progresses towards the world championships to see if her new found form is legit, or if she remains inconsistent.

Best if luck to her and the rest of team USA.

phaedrus
06-26-2011, 10:08 PM
I certainly do too. Unfortunately my expectations aren't great. She got very lucky to catch CWT at the line, and was well beaten by the first two girls. She has had an inconsistent season and with the rest of the world thrown in, I'm hesitant to pick her to medal again.

It'll be interesting to keep an eye on her as the season progresses towards the world championships to see if her new found form is legit, or if she remains inconsistent.

Best if luck to her and the rest of team USA.

It seems like she had come back from an injury that was a factor in her season's slow start. Given how fast she has come in so little time (no running-related pun intended), I'm confident she can round into world-class form by August. After all, "nipping" CWT is no small accomplishment - the woman ran 3:59 last year.

roywhite
06-26-2011, 10:20 PM
It seems like she had come back from an injury that was a factor in her season's slow start. Given how fast she has come in so little time (no running-related pun intended), I'm confident she can round into world-class form by August. After all, "nipping" CWT is no small accomplishment - the woman ran 3:59 last year.

Yeah, the world track championships in South Korea are a full two months away, beginning on August 27. I heard some of the competitors, like 800m runner Nick Symmonds, say how they certainly wanted to qualify this weekend, but want to peak for the world championships. Shannon has some time to improve.

Good luck to her.

johnb
06-26-2011, 10:59 PM
I watched the race on tv, and it was a very exciting finish. they seem to have thrown a yellow flag--not sure of the lingo--and the announcers were talking about how cwt got nipped. seems to me she veered right at the end, especially to hold off Shannon. if I were judging a sport I know nothing about, I'd have dq'ed cwt if she'd edged Shannon at the end.

could someone explain it better for me?

uh_no
06-27-2011, 12:43 AM
I watched the race on tv, and it was a very exciting finish. they seem to have thrown a yellow flag--not sure of the lingo--and the announcers were talking about how cwt got nipped. seems to me she veered right at the end, especially to hold off Shannon. if I were judging a sport I know nothing about, I'd have dq'ed cwt if she'd edged Shannon at the end.

could someone explain it better for me?

The yellow flag was on Christin. Had she beaten out Shannon, she likely would have been disqualified for impeding the progress of another runner. In theory she should be disqualified regardless, since if one of the top 3 doesn't get a qualifier, she is displacing someone behind her.