PDA

View Full Version : NBA Summer League - JJ off to a good start

DavidBenAkiva
07-10-2007, 01:57 AM
JJ went off for 30 pts -- 12 for 12 from the line and 4 for 6 from deep -- in Orlando's Orlando (duh!) Summer League game. Nice to see some positive press and it looks like, ironically with Grant Hill going to the desert, that he has a shot at some playing time. I'll be looking forward to tracking JJ and other alums as they prove how awesome Duke is in the NBA.

Channing
07-10-2007, 09:07 AM
that is great news!!! while I don't really follow the NBA it was frustrating watching the Magic go down in the playoffs last year unable to score when they had instant offense wasting away on their bench.

4decadedukie
07-10-2007, 09:41 AM
I know we all hope this suggests a great year for JJ.

thebur
07-10-2007, 10:15 AM
I think the Magic probably did a pretty good job bringing JJ along last year, but I expect for him to make a big rookie to sophomore jump. I think that his back was hurting him much more than was given credit for and kudos to the team physicians and trainers for bringing him back slowly. I think they knew that they have a gamer on their hands and wanted to be careful.

Orlando should know more than any team about the dangers of team doctors pushing a star player to come back too early. The last Duke shooting guard they had was unable to play a lot because of being pushed through an injury by his previous team...

Clipsfan
07-10-2007, 04:57 PM
His overall shooting % wasn't all that great, as he went 3-11 on 2 pointers, but we all know that JJ can score. The big question will be how well he defends out there, and hopefully that will continue to improve. The guy he was guarding in that game had 17 or so, and although those may not have all come against him that's a lot of points for the summer league games.

JBDuke
07-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Clipsfan, as your status is now "sixth man", I suggest changing your sig file. I love Dave, too, but he's more an "in the rotation" guy than a "sixth man". (Although I'd be plenty happy if he improved and moved up into that role this year!)

JBDuke
07-10-2007, 07:57 PM
I think the Magic probably did a pretty good job bringing JJ along last year, but I expect for him to make a big rookie to sophomore jump. I think that his back was hurting him much more than was given credit for and kudos to the team physicians and trainers for bringing him back slowly. I think they knew that they have a gamer on their hands and wanted to be careful.

Orlando should know more than any team about the dangers of team doctors pushing a star player to come back too early. The last Duke shooting guard they had was unable to play a lot because of being pushed through an injury by his previous team...

Two quibbles -

1. It wasn't just his back, and I'm not sure the trainers had much choice in the process. JJ's back kept him out of summer league action and the Team USA practices, but it was his foot injury that kept him on the sidelines through the fall. He wasn't cleared to practice until after the season had started, and by that time, he was not in game shape. By the time he'd gotten back into shape, Orlando had gotten off to a hot start, with Grant playing well at the 2, and JJ wasn't about to bust into the rotation. When Orlando started to struggle more, JJ got his chances.

2. It is my recollection that it was Grant that pushed himself into playing on his damaged ankle. He hurt it just before the playoffs, and determined to continue playing on it. I don't remember it being something he was pressured into at all by the Pistons.

mgtr
07-10-2007, 08:27 PM
JJ is a great talent, but his performance today was competent, but not outstanding. Possibly he was told to hold down his shooting, and try to feed other guys, since that is what he seemed to be doing.

dukemsu
07-10-2007, 08:33 PM
2. It is my recollection that it was Grant that pushed himself into playing on his damaged ankle. He hurt it just before the playoffs, and determined to continue playing on it. I don't remember it being something he was pressured into at all by the Pistons.

Having lived in Detroit when Grant hurt himself badly, it was surmised that Grant did indeed push himself on that horrible foot during a playoff series. Many thought that Grant did it to prove that he was "Detroit Tough", to push himself into the status of beloved city icon similar to Barry Sanders and Steve Yzerman. Obviously, it didn't work out. Oddly, it worked out okay for the Pistons, who got Ben Wallace in the sign and trade and won a title, as we all know. Grant was never truly embraced in Detroit, possibly due to his success against Michigan while at Duke.

I was hoping for Grant to return to Detroit, to have a chance to finish up where he started, but he'll certainly do just fine in Phoenix. Getting back to the original point, I concur that Grant pushed himself-but I do think it may be the greatest failure of Dumars' tenure that he didn't stop Grant from putting himself in jeopardy.

dukemsu

Jfrosh
07-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Just a Summer League game but his stat line in the second game was respectable as well.
17 points, 5 rebounds and 6 assists.
Coach Van Gundy was quoted as saying (on Sunday before the games started) that he didn't care what Redick did this week on the offensive end, he knows what he can do on that end, he wants to see his defense.

greybeard
07-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Some of us blamed Hill for JJ's failure to do more last year. I recall seeing him in the game being open at the 3 line with clear passing lanes and guys not giving it to him. When you got your 1 pick doing what he does and not getting the ball, you do something about it or, and I'm just speculating here, "you be gone." Pulp Fiction. I thought that Hill's failure with JJ fairly explained his departure.

Dukerati
07-11-2007, 09:06 AM
ESPN has an article up about JJ's resurgence. It sounds like he's happy but cautious...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=orlandosummerleaguesday2&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos2

thebur
07-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Having lived in Detroit when Grant hurt himself badly, it was surmised that Grant did indeed push himself on that horrible foot during a playoff series. Many thought that Grant did it to prove that he was "Detroit Tough", to push himself into the status of beloved city icon similar to Barry Sanders and Steve Yzerman. Obviously, it didn't work out. Oddly, it worked out okay for the Pistons, who got Ben Wallace in the sign and trade and won a title, as we all know. Grant was never truly embraced in Detroit, possibly due to his success against Michigan while at Duke.

I was hoping for Grant to return to Detroit, to have a chance to finish up where he started, but he'll certainly do just fine in Phoenix. Getting back to the original point, I concur that Grant pushed himself-but I do think it may be the greatest failure of Dumars' tenure that he didn't stop Grant from putting himself in jeopardy.

dukemsu

Yeah, I totally agree that Grant probably pushed himself very hard to get back, as I think all players with a drive to win should do. However, the final call goes to the training staff and team doctors who evaluate whether a player is ready to play. Basketball players want to do their job of playing basketball, but it is other people's responsibility to make sure they are healthy while doing it, hence the medical training and degrees.

Even if Grant wanted to play badly, the staff should have made the call to ice him. As Mark Wahlberg said to the complaining video guy in The Departed "I'm the guy who does his blanking job, you must be the other guy."

Channing
07-11-2007, 11:16 AM
I am not sure if anyone caught the contract structure for Rashard Lewis' new deal with the magic in the article linked - holy cow.

starting at 16.8 million, increasing 10 percent a year for the next 6 years (it is a sign and trade wtih the Sonics) and capping out at ~25 million in the final season? my goodness - he better be really good.

mapei
07-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Hey, it's not my money. ;)

mgtr
07-11-2007, 02:33 PM
It would be interesting to find out (but I doubt that it is possible) to see which teams have p**sed away the most money in the last five years. It is amazing that the fans put up with such idiotic decisions.

Clipsfan
07-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Clipsfan, as your status is now "sixth man", I suggest changing your sig file. I love Dave, too, but he's more an "in the rotation" guy than a "sixth man". (Although I'd be plenty happy if he improved and moved up into that role this year!)

I don't know what he'll be this year, but he did start a bunch of games last year (11, I believe) which has to put him as close to a 6th man on the whole? We'll see how he sorts out this year, but I'm not really sure who'll be the "6th man".

Clipsfan
07-11-2007, 06:14 PM
I am not sure if anyone caught the contract structure for Rashard Lewis' new deal with the magic in the article linked - holy cow.

starting at 16.8 million, increasing 10 percent a year for the next 6 years (it is a sign and trade wtih the Sonics) and capping out at ~25 million in the final season? my goodness - he better be really good.

I always shake my head when some of these contracts are announced. I think that is pretty much max money, but I don't know that I consider Lewis a max money sort of guy. Don't they already have their franchise player in Howard?

Channing
07-12-2007, 10:23 PM
There is an article about JJ up on scouts inc. If anyone with access can give a synopsis I would be much obliged.

As an aside, the title is "Redick finally living up to potential." That headline bothers me - he has been in the NBA ONE season, and he was hurt for part of that season. Its not like he is a 4 or 5 year vet. They make it seem like he has had a disappointing career so far, when in reality, he hasnt had a career period.

As an aside, in his summer league game against Bulls today JJ didnt have a great game, going 4-15 from the field, 3-7 from deep, 2-2 from the line. Granted, I didnt watch the game so I dont know how he did defensively, but not one of his better offensive nights.

Dukerati
07-13-2007, 09:04 AM
The scouts inc article focused on three areas. Offense, defense, and intangibles. On offense, JJ apparently is looking like the JJ of old, moving, cutting, quick release, drawing fouls. It also stated that JJ has a much better feel for passing than he is given credit for and clearly plays better as the focal point of an offense rather than a complimentary player.

On defense, JJ suffers from a lack of size and a relative lack of quickness which hinders his ability to play one-on-one defense against the good 2 guards in the league. However he plays very good off-ball and help defense and is very locked in, so Thorpe (the scout) gave him plus marks for defense.

Intangibles - Complimented JJ's leadership.

Of particular interest to me was how Thorpe said NBA people were divided 50/50 on whether or not JJ would become a "legitimate" NBA player and after his first season, it had switched more to 20/80. I see a big serving of crow coming to those people.....

thebur
07-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Had 30% of NBA people really defected from JJ's camp after that rookie year? I mean it wasn't great, but it was decent, and like many have said, he was hurt for a good bit of the entire season.